Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW 18TH DEC-24TH DEC
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Lotw Christmas to New Year! Topic Next Topic: LotW Dec 11-17  

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  09:30:18 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
my loco this week is a alco brass mp-15ac,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator 

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  11:37:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
My Loco of the week is this little plymouth switcher. Ive owned it since new in the early 80s. I think it was made by Model Power, Bachmann or Life Like but not sure as the original box is long gone ,its dressed in the Hersheys company paint.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  11:38:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
Sorry for the fuzziness, I think its time to clean my camera.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 457  ~  Member Since: February 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 18 2011 :  11:57:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
it ok, royal blue Just use the Flower Icon on cam to get unfuzzy pix or take loco outside & take pics
Here are my 2 Tyco locos On left is RSO The right is Tyco Made for the Rambo set

Was the RSO loco a outsource for Tyco?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  12:18:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
it ok, royal blue Just use the Flower Icon on cam to get unfuzzy pix or take loco outside & take pics
Here are my 2 Tyco locos On left is RSO The right is Tyco Made for the Rambo set

Was the RSO loco a outsource for Tyco?

Originally posted by microbusss - December 18 2011 :  11:57:01 AM

Thanks Micro,also The GI Joe brings back alot of memories as my brother and I basically destroyed that set--- IF I had only known now lol.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 18 2011 :  1:05:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well, RB I only have the G.I. Joe loco But the Rambo set I do have sans stickers
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14694  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  2:23:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Here is my switcher for the week.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 30 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 18 2011 :  4:16:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My LOTW is something tired, something used, it's a Varney but doesn't look abused. Haven't tried it on the test track yet, but it's a nice heavy unit, with bronze gear, guy said it was a 1940's model. Will try it tonight.

I'm getting quite the affection for these little shunters/switchers, not sure why. But they are cute.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 18 2011 :  4:23:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Gutzold BR52. tender powered locomotive. Kinda runs like a diesel.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - December 18 2011 :  4:51:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I managed to pick up a second Aussie QR 430. Both versions I have have the 4301 herald on the nose. The one Spider76 posted does not have the herald. Tyco oddity from down under. I'll add the front and rear handrails later this week.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/eaglerock109/20111218164414_100_2631.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/eaglerock109/20111218164453_100_2634.jpg

Below is a link to Spiders posting.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9423
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 622  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 18 2011 :  6:44:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Bachmann Mike...not the best runner but one of my favorites nonetheless...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 19 2011 :  11:02:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
This is my LOTW:

BRASS KEN KIDDER 0-4-0 INSPECTION LOCOMOTIVE

Soon (eventually) to be restored!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 19 2011 :  11:12:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nice of you to clean that up Sean after obviously backing over it with one of those Ford Dinosaurs you so love!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 20 2011 :  07:32:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Nice loco, Sean. That's a steam donkey, a small switch engine for working in the streets, disguised as a trolley car to keep the horses from freaking out, one of the few truly rare pieces of HO.
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 20 2011 :  11:50:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Nice loco, Sean. That's a steam donkey, a small switch engine for working in the streets, disguised as a trolley car to keep the horses from freaking out, one of the few truly rare pieces of HO.

Thanks Shay! I have heard to it referred to as a Steam Dummy, but not donkey. It came in with a pile of stuff and in the listing there were several engines and a bunch of cars and a big pile of track. This one is an HOn3 model. The last picture showed this pile of junk:

Now the image you are looking at is about 2.5x the actual size of what it was in the listing and I immediately spotted this:

Funny thing, I immediately knew what it was, having only seen one once before. Ironic thing is, my friend Brian who does the brass restorations for me, purchased this HO version off of the same seller a week earlier:

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - December 20 2011 :  11:58:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Cool Peice, Sean! Is that a Green and white trolley I see?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 20 2011 :  1:42:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Sean;

proto pic for you...

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 20 2011 :  3:37:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
You're right, Sean..."dummy" is the proper term, "donkey" refers to stationary engines on skids...

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 20 2011 :  4:55:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Egads Man!

We could call you Loki ! Gawd of Chaos! You certainly embrace it.

The closest I come is this:

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - December 20 2011 :  5:07:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Talking about some lead! Heres my first Tyco engine that ran ('til the PT torqued out!) Then 3-4 years later, it sprang out of my parts box when I got a 0-8-0 for 50 CENTS! The last owner painted it up in rather silly paint. Was originally a Clementine.The engine came in a box for free 8 years ago spawning my interest in model trains again!

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - December 20 2011 :  8:29:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Gareth is that an old Alco HH I see? What are your plans for it?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 20 2011 :  8:38:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the loco was used as a track inspection loco, romcat & Sean

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 20 2011 :  9:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ant-man!

Yup;

I plan to put a Varney Switcher drive under it, shape it and pain tit either Hoboken Manufacturers or EJ&E. The former is most likely. It's a Walthers unit and based on the edge on the casting meaning the mold wasn't worn out yet as they became, It's been suggested it's from the 40's. I was offered an original Walthers drive but it was produced after that option was dropped. Athearn drives were common under these in the 70's and later but I figure someone who came upon this and bought it in the late 40's-50's would have chosen the Varney Yard Switcher (NW-2) drive.

Ben;

and you were thinking maybe I thought it would pull a huge string of rolling stock!? I know their history, Ben it's why I had the picture available to share... the Berliner pages used to have quite a history on the Steam Dummies, though I can't find my info at present... as someone noted they were shrouded like that just as some Shays were that worked in Manhattan with lead horse riders to prevent the drives from frightening horse and horse drawn carriages in the streets.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

royal blue
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - December 20 2011 :  9:14:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add royal blue to Buddylist
quote:
Talking about some lead! Heres my first Tyco engine that ran ('til the PT torqued out!) Then 3-4 years later, it sprang out of my parts box when I got a 0-8-0 for 50 CENTS! The last owner painted it up in rather silly paint. Was originally a Clementine.The engine came in a box for free 8 years ago spawning my interest in model trains again!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - December 20 2011 :  5:07:18 PM

Nice loco,I got a fleet of Chattanooga's,A clementine and a fleet of Royal blues and I love them. Of course The Royal Blue is my favorite--hence my screen name.

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 20 2011 :  9:47:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
"...but it's a nice heavy unit, with bronze gear, guy said it was a 1940's model. Will try it tonight.
I'm getting quite the affection for these little shunters/switchers, not sure why. But they are cute.

Jerry"

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - December 18 2011 :  4:16:41 PM

They are small little critters that can get in and out of sharp corners, and pull a modest cut of cars.
I've got a corral of these:
Silver Red #59 is 1st run Athearn Loop-n-hook couplers
Blue Navy Yard is last run Lionel Kadees applied
#98 1st run RivaRossi separate grab-irons
No # 2nd run RivaRossi molded/moulded grab-irons
GN is Mantua Booster
Red is Mantua Lil' Six

After many hours of maintenance, all run like a top.

I figure, after a long hiatus since I last visited, I stick in my shifters as a set.

enjoy

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - December 20 2011 :  10:40:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Man, I need to get some "MORE D'OH" railroad, docksiders!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 20 2011 :  11:52:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
Man, I need to get some "MORE D'OH" railroad, docksiders!

Carl T.

Originally posted by choochin3 - December 20 2011 :  10:40:56 PM

It works on locomotives that have "...AND..." in the road title.
On some freightcars, I scratched out the "... & ..." and made them "BO"... yeah, I was a little board, er, unboarded but bored at the same time. I got a Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0 tank steam loco' that was "Santa Fe"... and it being a Six-Wheeler, I scratched out the "S" and "a", and "Fe", like a insect, it is now brandishing "ANT"... so fitting a locomotive name.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - December 22 2011 :  5:24:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Here's my LOTW. A Bachmann F40PH Spectrum with two Lima Amtrak sleepers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - December 22 2011 :  9:11:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I see a couple that I have in my collection, and several really nice pieces. Awesome stuff! I never got around to posting this week, and at this point I think I'll just wait until next week. It's kind of a busy time around here.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - December 23 2011 :  10:12:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
my little critter a brass Suydam "juice jack" in PE prewar colors

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
Edited by - rgcw5 on December 23 2011 10:13:22 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - December 23 2011 :  3:57:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
my little critter a brass Suydam "juice jack" in PE prewar colors

I like that one rgcw5!

Sean

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - December 24 2011 :  02:48:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
thanks Sean, she's been a restoratin pill though. I still need to replace the tube shaft with a u joint drive...but as of now shes a good puller as is
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - December 24 2011 :  6:34:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist

The Freight Brute! My first Tyco loco is a Chessie System high-nose Alco Super Century 630, from a collection of unboxed Tyco stuff I picked up yesterday. First impressions are positive; good condition, runs well and not crazy fast like I thought it would. Replacing the rear truck with another PowerTorque® drive will greatly improve pulling power, I should think.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Lotw Christmas to New Year! Topic Next Topic: LotW Dec 11-17  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000