Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Chutem ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Beautiful Refugee: Queensland Rail 430
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 2 TYCO  Topic Next Topic: Tyco motive power collection  

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 15 2011 :  7:14:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
After 3 years of chasing I finally threw down the prevailing rate for one of these. Spent more on this than I normally would, but it seems that QR stuff is hard to come by and Australians prize it more so than New South Wales or Victorian Rail.... the prices these usually get are consistently brow-raising. So be it, arrrgh!

The sticker-shock buyer's remorse I was feeling instantly vaporized the moment I opened the box:

This IS, without a doubt, one of the most striking and beautiful (if stylisitcally dated) locomotives Tyco ever offered. Not to mention a very intricate paint job to boot. No less than FIVE colors individually applied, with masks that wrap over the roof, around the rear, and across the sides. From a company that butchered simple things like the BN and CP Rail logos, and took the cheap way out when it came to painting/masking things like BN and Pennsy locos, this is a remarkable achievement.

Instantly a top-shelf prize in my collection. And interestingly enough, it racked up quite a legacy of trackage down under - the traction tires were gummed up fierce, the brass wheels were darkened bronze, and the inside shell bore the trademarks of plenty of gear lube slung about. And yet... the PT still runs. And the shell is mint externally. Like I said, Aussies seem to prize these things. How neat to have a veteran that obviously was cherished and extensively used yet obviously well cared for.

So why a refugee? Well, Queensland is suffering the worst natural disaster in their history, via flooding that shows little sign of abating. This one literally escaped just in time. I contacted the seller and he says he's OK, but things are a mess down there. So this veteran lives across the big pond for now.

Edited by - spiderj76 on January 15 2011 7:17:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator 

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 15 2011 :  9:24:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* About the only thing I can add is I see a power tork drive and not a MU2. So it is not hard to get drive parts.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 15 2011 :  10:11:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Nice score Tony, I had the same feeling when I bid on and won mine. All the thoughts of paying to much went right out the window when it arrived. It is a great looking loco. Mine is displayed in one of my wall cabinets with the matching caboose.
On a side note my VR caboose arrived today from Australia, I'm pretty sure it came from the same seller as your loco. Also pretty sure you outbid me on the QR, I was trying to land a second one.
Congrat's on the loco.....................Tom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 622  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 16 2011 :  7:22:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
A nice looking engine for sure Awesome colours on it. Congratz!
Edited by - DaCheez on January 16 2011 7:22:57 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 16 2011 :  8:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I'd swap out the power torque for a CD torque,...not!

Good eye there TL, landing this one.

Is this not also a variation from the original paint scheme? Seriously! I don't remember the gray roof section.

It is a beaut!

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 16 2011 :  9:54:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
I'd swap out the power torque for a CD torque,...not!

Good eye there TL, landing this one.

Is this not also a variation from the original paint scheme? Seriously! I don't remember the gray roof section.

It is a beaut!

Originally posted by Alco Fan - January 16 2011 :  8:58:11 PM

The one I have also has the gray roof section.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 622  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 17 2011 :  07:15:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist

I found this picture I had saved and it has the gray roof. I guess it's just been a while since I looked at one and I don't have one.
I may have better luck if I clone one like this did this Canadiana.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on January 17 2011 07:24:35 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 22 2011 :  06:21:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
This is the top story of the week!

TL,

Did you run it? If you did I'd video it.

Alco Fan

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - January 22 2011 :  6:32:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
ER - ha ha, I thought that might have been you but then I knew you beat me on the one with the busted truck a couple months ago so I wasn't sure. I was worried considering the VR F-unit e had listed was not mint at all, but the caboose he had looked better. In fact I was really hoping he had the QR caboose to match this, that's the sole remaining Aussie piece I need.

AF - STC is currently too cluttered with other stock for this one to make its runthrough ;) I was thinking of rounding up some other "foreign" rolling stock and making a special train for it. Canada grain hopper, and maybe a NdeM boxcar, some Bachmann euro stuff... haven't decided. I'd really like to modify the engine for pool use with the others, but I don't think that's going to happen.

I've always thought your Canadiana clone looked good but I don't know if I ever asked: how did you make the maple leafs, especially the white ones?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 22 2011 :  8:13:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Tony,
The red ones were masked and sprayed. The white are very low to no-tech and were cut from white labels and attached and cleared, they were tough to cut out and aren't perfect. The rear decals were copied from a Canadiana box car touched up on the computer and printed on decal paper. The flag used a little computer art.

Alco Fan

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - January 23 2011 :  12:13:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
quote:
ER - ha ha, I thought that might have been you but then I knew you beat me on the one with the busted truck a couple months ago so I wasn't sure. I was worried considering the VR F-unit e had listed was not mint at all, but the caboose he had looked better. In fact I was really hoping he had the QR caboose to match this, that's the sole remaining Aussie piece I need.

Originally posted by spiderj76 - January 22 2011 :  6:32:14 PM

I picked up the QR caboose prior to finding the loco. It's not mint but it's in good shape. I was happy to get the VR caboose in that auction, I have the loco. I'm still trolling for the NSW loco and caboose.

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - August 11 2011 :  4:27:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Anyone Have The VR Caboose?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - August 11 2011 :  6:49:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
that is a factory paint job? when did it come out? i've never seen that one before. me likey
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 08 2020 :  6:00:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Greetings from down under.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5985  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 08 2020 :  6:18:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Oh yes, gotta love that Australian Alco! I really wants one.....
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 08 2020 :  8:14:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Love the colors!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 09 2020 :  01:43:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Australian Tyco. Really is a top shelf piece.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11214  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 2 TYCO  Topic Next Topic: Tyco motive power collection  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000