Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Watz go'n on! still going ! "My Workbench"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash
Page: of 10

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 20 2012 :  1:27:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* John. I know they are challenges. I expect nothing in the way of a answerer. I just want to see the project as it is done. Problems can't be solved until they come up. You cannot make a prototype unless you have enough money for the project, and a source of exact detail parts necessary for the particular prototype. Also a lot of skill and the necessary tools. Kitbashing produces only similar models acceptable to the modeler. You need no special tools, and accept parts that appear close enough. It will still leave you open to no talent nitpickers that do nothing but comment.
* it is your dream, and your work. You need be the only one that says it is what you are trying to do, and that you are done.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 20 2012 :  9:27:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
I do good work, and such on the models, I get as close as I possibly can. The 2-10-2 boiler on a Y6b powered chassis, is the start of the Rivarossi Y6b made into a B&O EL-5, which is merely a Y6b, with the trailing truck removed, and a Vanderbuilt tender replcing the N&W square tender. The cab of the Y6b isn't even close, and the boiler front os WAY off and then the sand domes aren't even close either, I can go on and on with the Rivarossi rendition of the B&O EL-5, as it resembles the Y6b and the real B&O EL-5 or ANY of the B&O "EL" class 2-8-8-0's looked nothing like a Y6b.

Sadly, the tender is a B&O replica too....... for a 2-10-2, BUT a lengthened tender from 2 Rivarossi Vanderbuilts would make a NICE replica of a B&O 2-8-8-0 Vandy tender.

Needless to say, I've got a long way to go!

The steam chests of a B&O EL-5, or any of the B&O EL class had 2 different looking cylinders depending the year, as alot of them were rebuilt as simple articulateds, in later years as they were delivered as true "Mallets"

And then as you can see, I'm producing parts, to the use of this....for instance the Rivarossi 2-10-2 cab, which can and will be used on the 2-10-2 boiler to fit to the Y6b chassis.

Which, I plan to offer for sale once I get all the bugs worked out and fitted and that will allow me to cut and chop as needed on a factory Rivarossi 2-10-2, to fit the Y6b chassis, and then with those alterations done, I will make sure the fit is proper, and then the molding of that shell will be made!

Sadly, better price then brass, and then to those who have Y6b's only need to buy the parts to transform it, with little to no real machine work skills or a major shop supply of tools to do so! At a decent price......

UNLESS Bachmann would offer a EL-3 or some B&O EL class as a "running mate" to go with the EM-1 they have done!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - August 11 2012 :  7:51:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice lot,some great items,and an old lady in southern livery,hope you have a great second day ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 11 2012 :  8:38:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yup looks like a few in there I wants
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 12 2012 :  12:55:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Frank,

You still owe me a finder's fee. How much did you pay for those Akane's (and I take it those were purchased before opening)?

The worst part about the day was that The Daily Show was there, and they were getting in the way and probably looking for people to mock. One of the vendors I bought from who they interviewed said they were incredibly arrogant. I managed to get in a few editorial comments when I passed them, like "Stewart's a hack!" and to promote their competition, Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld.

They had vendors and patrons on edge. I ended up on camera a few times I think, but with 3 cameras it probably won't make air when edited down. As I left I had to work my way around them because they were completely blocking the aisle, and they had a vendor literally cornered. The guy with the mic was had his face inches from this poor guy, and he looked really uncomfortable.

I doubt they're looking to put the hobby in a positive light.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 22 2012 :  10:08:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
from Nelson
Frank,
You still owe me a finder's fee.
Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - August 12 2012 :  12:55:41 AM

Hi there Nelson !
As to [wink] the finders fee [wink]. At the next train show we meet at, If any of the donuts I bring are left, you can have a few. Only if you buy coffee.
frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - August 22 2012 :  2:15:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
To be honest, Frank, I've forgotten by now. I think you just mentioned them, so they're probably the ones I was asking about.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - August 22 2012 :  6:21:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Those Akane's, the one is a 2-10-2, and the other one looks to be a 4-8-2? is that right?

I'd be interested in the 4-8-2!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 22 2012 :  10:37:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Those Akane's, the one is a 2-10-2, and the other one looks to be a 4-8-2? is that right?

I'd be interested in the 4-8-2!

Originally posted by EM-1 - August 22 2012 :  6:21:36 PM

John
* The 2 of them are Gem's. They are the same as the Akane's, by the same manufacture. Made and released at the same time. I wont know what I am doing with them till I get them fixed. They are way down on the list of things to do. I have 2 different pairs of camelbacks to make first. Also other loco to repair before them.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 22 2012 10:38:33 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 22 2012 :  10:40:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
To be honest, Frank, I've forgotten by now. I think you just mentioned them, so they're probably the ones I was asking about.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - August 22 2012 :  2:15:20 PM

Nelson , your are only saying that because you don't like donuts.
frank

toptrain

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 04 2012 :  8:04:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Love that 2-6-2T!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 05 2012 :  01:12:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Frank, I likes 'em all. The early brass New One motor was no doubt a cheap rip-off of the Tenshodo motor above.
The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 05 2012 :  07:11:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Frank, I likes 'em all. The early brass New One motor was no doubt a cheap rip-off of the Tenshodo motor above.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - September 05 2012 :  01:12:20 AM

Nelson :
* Concerning the look alike motor. Somewhere here recently a photo was posted of that International 0-6-0t. It showed that it was made in Japan by Tenshodo. That explains the motor being the exact one without the Tenshodo name, and the better nickel plating.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 06 2012 :  1:31:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Neat locos I do like & want the ATT Lil Miner
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 06 2012 :  10:33:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Nice catch/find there Frank!

What ya get soaked for the TYCO/Mantua Cresent Limited?

DAMN nice stuff you got from the show.......

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 07 2012 :  12:06:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Hi John ; About trades. Nobody makes a trade unless they are both satisfied. So Nobody ever get soaked. Now these last transfers are neat to me because the streamlined engine and parts are by Hornby Dublo. They are die cast bodies. Like me, kind of old . None of that new fangled stuff. The 0-6-0t was a gift. Is really well detailed and made by a company named DAPOL .
I haven't run anything yet. Plenty of time for that. I have replaced the body on the complete drive with the proper body. I will post of photo here of both the A4 #7 and the 0-6-0t.
frank opps ! about the Souther pacific. I am talking to Ken about that engine and a few others. Awaiting a offer, I think.

The locos name is Sir Nigle Gresley. He is the designer for the A4 locomotive.
The Peregrine body was gotten for its drive to go in the body. That completes this A4. The green body is spare awaiting a tender and maybe a drive. Someday a " Silver King " A4 will run again. ( tho most likely with a Mantua 4-6-2 drive.) The blue Peregrine body will be striped and repainted black with any A4 tender I can get. During WW2 the engines lost there colorful paint for very practical reasons. To hid their activities from Germans. It will be a war time A4.
* Also I may make this, the X-Peregrine, a 2-8-2 streamliner as one or a few were made and run. They used the same streamlining body style. All these good possibilities'

This is the Dapol 0-6-0t

Originally posted by toptrain - October 07 2012 :  08:21:45 AM

So, you traded for the Cresent Limited then? I asked as it seemed like you bought that at the last train show.....

~John

Jim
Little Six

BN

Posted - October 07 2012 :  12:45:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jim to Buddylist
I would love the 0-6-0 tank and the lovely mallard engines, great finds!!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 145  ~  Member Since: September 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 20 2012 :  09:29:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well Jim , read back and see what else is here. Lots of nice stuff by many people are here.
toptrain

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 20 2012 :  12:20:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Neat locos Always did like British steam
I just picked up a Airflix L.M.S. 0-6-0 4F Foweler loco today

Edited by - microbusss on October 20 2012 12:21:14 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 20 2012 :  3:54:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
lets go Buss where is the picture.
toptrain

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 20 2012 :  4:56:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh sorry, toptrain

Worst it needs is buffers & a hook for the front coupler

Edited by - microbusss on October 20 2012 4:56:52 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 20 2012 :  9:41:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Looks nice Buss. show pictures of underneath to show how couplers attach. Alsothe front to show where and how buffers attach. it may help.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 20 2012 :  9:43:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey buss if you keep it just add the couplers you use and run it with your old time locos.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2012 :  01:13:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh sure Good thing I took the pics earlier hehe (3rd time trying this!)
Front

Rear

On a side note whoever had this loco before has shaved the flanges on the middle power tender's wheels!

Edited by - microbusss on October 21 2012 01:18:47 AM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - October 21 2012 :  01:51:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
NICE Ben! Prolly did the shaving to go around really sharp curves!
~John

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 21 2012 :  12:16:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
ben frank if i remember rightly,the buffer beams,the red bits,which are seperate castings,are missing ken

Edited by - catfordken on October 21 2012 12:19:32 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 21 2012 :  12:53:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Well in Kens photo Ben you are missing the Red buffer beam that you see on the front and rear of this engine with everything on it. Looks like you need to get some plastic and start replaceing the missing stuff.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 21 2012 :  1:17:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
SEE?? I knew the buffers were missing!!
Darn shame I can't get replacements
Looking at yours, ken it looks as if I have a older version of yours

Jim
Little Six

BN

Posted - October 24 2012 :  7:52:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Jim to Buddylist
quote:
SEE?? I knew the buffers were missing!!
Darn shame I can't get replacements
Looking at yours, ken it looks as if I have a older version of yours

Originally posted by microbusss - October 21 2012 :  1:17:11 PM

Micro (Ben??) never say never, it just may be more difficult to aquire but NEVER impossible....whats the name of the engine in question, I bet I could find a source of parts if I tried hard enough, let me know and Ill give it a go in my free time :D
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 145  ~  Member Since: September 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 24 2012 :  9:02:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Airfix Railway System
4F Fowler
L.M.S. Livery
54122-6
OO scale
Thats what is on the end of box

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 15 2012 :  09:58:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
catfordken - Well it looks like I'm also missing the Grab Irons too
Oh well Still worth the $35

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 30 2012 :  8:06:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I likes the PC loco & the Pabst Blue Ribbon boxcar

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2012 :  8:11:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The PC loco is a FP45. I dont know yet who made it. The Pabst car is Walters.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 30 2012 :  8:27:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well knowing you it won't stay a PC for long hehe
Or fix it up & use it on your layout once The Sneaky Photographer will freak out

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2012 :  9:15:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now your talkin Buss. That would make a real Sneaky photo. Mine would have to be PRR.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 30 2012 9:16:23 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 01 2012 :  01:47:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
My work bench after last trip to private sale. Two weeks ago. Actually bench was too small . I had to use the layout.

Originally posted by toptrain - November 30 2012 :  7:40:08 PM

That's a huge haul, Frank. How much did you pay for the Baldwin Babyface?

The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2013 :  3:03:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** A project I have been doing for the last 6 months, I have revitalized and gotten going again. It started as kitbashing 2 Bachmann 2-8-0s into 2 Reading camelback 2-8-0s. well I changed the road name and restyled the locomotive bodies and now it is progressing nicely.

* Project has become the building of 2 CNJ Camelbacks. Both 2-8-0 I class. One is a I-5 and the other a I-4 class. I have gotten past the cab and firebox part and I am finishing up the basic firebox for the I-5. Lots and Lots to do yet.

toptrain

what they look like now on the workbench.

toptrain

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 25 2013 :  6:52:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
You are a master of styrene construction! Nice work. Are the Bachmann drives stock or did you do any remotoring (just curious). - Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 25 2013 :  8:10:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Bachmann drives are just stock
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 28 2013 :  10:02:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I just took this photo. I am a little further on in the project. The I-5 I worked on the most today and it shows.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 29 2013 :  4:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Some work done today.
frank

toptrain

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 29 2013 :  4:36:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Frank,
Great progress. I admire your custom walkway with hand rails and the sheet plastic work.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 04 2013 :  6:38:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
well here I go again. I've pulled the firebox off. redoing the backhead.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 04 2013 :  7:15:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank as alco fan said love your walkway construction,cannot wait,but will have to,to see it finished ken

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 04 2013 :  9:23:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That's amazing what you're able to do with styrene. It's all looking great . What do you use for adhesive to glue the styrene together?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 05 2013 :  09:53:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
That's amazing what you're able to do with styrene. It's all looking great . What do you use for adhesive to glue the styrene together?

Originally posted by DaCheez - February 04 2013 :  9:23:48 PM

With plastic to plastic , just model glue.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 05 2013 :  10:17:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* There I have stepped back again to do it right I hope. I pulled off the sheeting on the firebox. It became damaged when I screwed down the air tanks to tight. Also the walkways were not going in even. I will reshape a new lower piece from the walkway down. By coping the new piece before I glue it into place I will have the lower piece for the opposite side. This will assure that the walkways will be at the same height. All I got to do is do it. This is, as it has shown to be, easier said than done. My original trial and error way of stumbling through a project didn't work at all as you can tell. Let's see what happens this time.
toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 05 2013 10:20:43 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 05 2013 :  10:52:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Now here is the workbench now !

** A close up of the I5 body with a paper template made for the 2 sides. That is right where and how I want the walkways to mount to the body. The new backhead lies on the cuting table. I got a little more done.

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 05 2013 :  2:53:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking good I likes it
What's it gonna look like when done?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 06 2013 :  5:49:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Got to let it sit and harden. I'll sand it tomorrow, then fill and sand again.

toptrain

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000