Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Watz go'n on! still going ! "My Workbench"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash
Page: of 10

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 27 2012 :  6:30:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Another look at my 2 new switchers. I will most likely Remove the front cow catchers because as switchers they are useless without couplings on both ends. This second view shows the opposite side of the locos.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:27:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 09 2012 :  9:41:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My 2 Roundhouse 0-6-0 switchers are on the work bench loco and tender bodys geting some work done. Anyone familiar with the models kmow them to be fueled by oil. I am changing them to coal. They will be CNJ 0-6-0s numbers 211 and 212. They were built by Baldwin and deleivered in July of 1865. They were disposed of before 1900. In my world they remained and were rebuilt and given steel cabs, dual sand boxes, and newer type slope back switching tenders. They remain 2 of the hard coal burners on the CRR 0f NJ. They have there original numbers.
* They were made and joined the roster back when locomotives were named. 211 was named Resolute. and 212 Relief.

Here is a photo of #211, the locomotive resolute. from North East Rail. It is listed as not a part of any collection.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:27:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 15 2012 :  12:36:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here they are conpleted. CNJ # 211 and 212. Model Die Casting 0-6-0 switchers.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:26:41 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 15 2012 :  12:45:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice work yet again frank,will fit in very well with the rest ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 21 2012 :  3:06:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are my 2 camelback mikados. One was a factory painted and built for the CNJ. The other a unbuilt kit. Here they are painted and being detailed. They will be LVRR N1 class camelback Mikados.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:26:16 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 23 2012 :  6:21:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
New headlights for the Mikes. Here is a comparison of the old next to the New.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:25:13 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 23 2012 :  8:02:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The 2 camelback Mikados are built. I had to change the headlights.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:24:16 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 23 2012 :  9:12:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Those headlights look familiar...
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 24 2012 :  3:29:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
[quote]Those headlights look familiar...

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - March 23 2012 :  9:12:00 PM

Nelson: The Lights are Cal-Scale, listed as Large Old type # HL-203.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:24:40 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 24 2012 :  3:34:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well they Valley N1 class are done. I found I had a set Of valley steam decals. Just they are silver lettering. I think meant for a streamliner or newer steam. It was all I had so on they went. I think they show well. I didn't have to paint the handrails. There silver to and match.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:23:43 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 25 2012 :  09:16:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Very handsome.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 25 2012 :  6:59:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* You can view photos of these 2 Lehigh Valley class N1 locomotives, numbers 232 and 233 at North East Rail.
these are the real locomotives.
* Just click link below and look at N1 class. You will see the 2 numbers listed there.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/lv_steam1.html

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:23:19 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 01 2012 :  01:32:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
OMG you all DON'T want ot see my work bench!

^------^-----^-----Whats seen heading up to the shop, its on the 3rd floor of my house (Attic)

Then....whats at the top of the steps......

So.....I'll show ya the whole shop!

^---------WORK BENCH!

^-------Work bench "extensions" LOL

^--------Where YTR pours molds.

^--------Whats overhead as you walk throug hthe Attic door! These are all of my parts sheets and diagrams, PLUS custom painting images for color placement and decal placement.

^--------Wood scratchbuilding supplies!

^--------Wall stoarge.....With the molding area.

^---------Detail cabinet! (YES, all those storage containers are FULL of detail parts), the white boxes on top of the cabinet, is "trading card" boxes, with complete train sets in them for my personal collection of freight cars. in the small number of white boxes, there is aproximately 300 cars in them!

^---------One of two, machine centers. (I have bigger machinist tools in my basement....)

^---------Shop overview!

WHAT A MESS!

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!

Edited by - EM-1 on April 18 2012 05:25:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 01 2012 :  10:39:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neat I likes it! Did you make the shelves for your locos & cars yourself?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 01 2012 :  2:05:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Busss,
Yep, all those display cases are hand made right in my basement! (I might add, a NICE way to recycle all brass straight track!)

I have 2 pine cases I never done any finish on them as they are "S-3" which has only 3 finshed planed sides, and the bottom or underside of the boards are rough cut.

Also those 2 cases were made, in a hurry too! I needed them in such a way that I had no choice to open up space elsewhere to store things so....... but I'll say, it looks good otherwise!

~John

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 01 2012 :  4:50:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, it's a good thing you don't have enough stuff.

I like the shelving, too.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 01 2012 :  4:58:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
real neat cases To be honest I'd rather build my own cases than buy them The want such redonkulous prices for one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14691  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 02 2012 :  02:37:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John, it's a good thing you don't have enough stuff.

I like the shelving, too.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - April 01 2012 :  4:50:33 PM

Nelson, if you look at the one picture showing "wall storage" you'll see a "cabinet" door built int othe wall.......thats a crawl throught! LOL on the other side is my "Stock Room" which looks like a storm from hell went throught it....... I got some SERIOUS spring cleaning to do the next few weeks! LOL

As for all the stuff, you guys have not seen anything yet! I'll have to get more pictures! As there's a few missing..... Area's that is!

BUT, I'm one of those shops that has all this as I never know what people are looking for! PLUS, I'm a custom shop so........

Also, the "shelves" the wooden display cases, the largest one, I forgot to mention was made by me back when I was in High School EDIT: (Aparently I need to go back to school to learn how top spell again!) in shop class, its solid Oak, 3/4 thick, by 4 inches wide, by 8 feet long! Costed me $24 to buy the wood from the school! and that was by the board foot back then! SO, I been building those cases for a long time and will continue as time passes and the collection grows!

~John

Edited by - EM-1 on April 07 2012 01:09:03 AM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 02 2012 :  02:41:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
real neat cases To be honest I'd rather build my own cases than buy them The want such redonkulous prices for one

Originally posted by microbusss - April 01 2012 :  4:58:19 PM

Yeah, your absolutely right.....I paid $24 for the Oak, thats in the biggest case seen here.....The rest was "cut offs" from my regular job for the State Liquor Commission, where I build Liquor stores "State Stores" Then in my basement, I have a full wood shop too!

Forgot to mention at any one given time.......The locomotives in the cases, (along with the few rolling stock seen) are merely my personal collection! (I got other cases through out the house but that amount, that size, the wife would divource me! LOL But these personal collection serve another purpose.....they're my advertisement!

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 06 2012 :  08:44:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
John. Now that was a great tour of a watz goin on train work area. There is defiantly a lot goin on. I like the shelves also. Especially the stained 4 shelf unit with mirrors on the back of the shelves.
* I never liked running my trains with a card system but you may need one just to locate where you left what. You have a admit that there are just a few thing laying around. How do you pick out what you are going to work on. Do you use "eney, minny, mighty, Moe".
* Thank you for posting your photos. Touring the train area was a adventure,

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:22:01 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 06 2012 :  10:48:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Thanks!

As for a card system, nahhhhh (I normally think of what I'm going to run and how I'm going to "play" and then have at it!

As for the train repair shop, WELL, what it comes down too, is I have all "that" sittin out, and my customers come first......Alot of whats seen sitting out is my own mess to work on.....

I have alot out like that because, I've found, if and say when I want to design something, its right there from the last thing I worked on in design!

All my customers items have 3 drawer throughout the shop for storage. What I mean by that is this, If something is an extensive repair, and then needs to have parets gotten instead of letting things lay out, I set them aside and contact my customer on the issue. ONCE the part(s) are found and gotten I make the repair right out of the package I get in the mail with it in it! That way, once is all done, I can atleast pack everything up and get in the mail from that point within the following 2 days!

Customer "custom painting" takes time as well, I have that stored for a time while curing so to make sure the paint is dry and able to be handled with little care, this usually is about 24 hours till I do the next painting session in that item.

Now for the real truth......If I were to "clean" my main work bench, it take me 2 days, and then when I began to work on something else after that it take me 2 hours to be right back to square one........Sadly enough its true! Thing is, I do clean it, and have all the items seen on the main bech put away till the time the follows I'm sitting there again! But it never seems to take long before all that work from cleaning it up, is right out the window!

~John

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 07 2012 :  12:50:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
John, I know what you mean about clean-up time. Living in an apartment sucks, because my coffee table has to do double duty as my workbench. Fortunately I have a large heavily built one and I protect it with a vinyl mat, but I can't keep things out on it forever, so I probably spend more time putting everything away or dragging everything out again than I do working. That more than anything is the reason some projects don't get done for a while. And painting -- aside from some touch-up -- is just impossible.

I finally see the storage area doors you were talking about, which is clearly where the gremlins live. That's why the 2-6-6-2 up on that shelf makes me nervous... gremblins are attracted to things like that.

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 07 2012 :  01:01:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
John, I know what you mean about clean-up time. Living in an apartment sucks, because my coffee table has to do double duty as my workbench. Fortunately I have a large heavily built one and I protect it with a vinyl mat, but I can't keep things out on it forever, so I probably spend more time putting everything away or dragging everything out again than I do working. That more than anything is the reason some projects don't get done for a while. And painting -- aside from some touch-up -- is just impossible.

I finally see the storage area doors you were talking about, which is clearly where the gremlins live. That's why the 2-6-6-2 up on that shelf makes me nervous... gremblins are attracted to things like that.

Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - April 07 2012 :  12:50:25 AM

Nelson ole buddy, I hate to tell ya this, BUT I LIVE in an apartment too! BUT, thankfully its a duplex, and my landlord is AWESOME! Not ot mention with what I do for regular work, I also pinch hit for him as well as I'm a maintenance Tech for the state, which gives me all the certifications I need to legally do any and all of his maintenance when electrical, and plumbing is concerned even HVAC as well!

He tells my wife sometimes "He scares me" LOL just because of the building knoledge I've got an the things I able to do, and I told him, if we'd EVER move, everything I've done throughout the apartment is reversable! Nice thing, I've signed a 10 year contract! AND its available to be bought off him if I ever decide too! (Which we been seriously thinking of it as the deal is awesome as far as he's concerned and able and willing to work with us as it be the first for us to own a home and all......I'd rent the other side out for awhile to get some time under my belt, and to add to that, once I got to the point I and the wife was happy, it be the shop on the first floor, and the upstairs would be extension of the side we live on!

Yeah, ya can't tell I've got plans can ya!?

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 07 2012 :  01:12:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
LOL you know overlooking my pictures, anyone notice that my "Mini Machine Center" is the cleanest!?????? Safe that way!
~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 07 2012 :  12:19:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Yes John it is the cleanest. because of that the least interesting.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:21:27 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 07 2012 :  3:53:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Yeah! BUT if it was a cluttered mess, you all be "picking" through it to see what I have for plans too! to be either milled, or turned on the lathe as that little green machine, tranforms into a mini milling machine as well as a metal lathe!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 21 2012 :  7:37:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Me likes the Mantua 2-10-0! I just can't help myself.....

I've been looking for the Mantua 2-10-0 for quite some time. Somewhat hard to find locomotives!

I want to make one int oa B&O Class "Y" 2-10-0........

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 22 2012 :  2:40:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A look at the work bench yesterday.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:20:30 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - April 22 2012 :  11:05:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Very NICE! (Mine is somewhat cleaner!) As I've been working on alot and getting things done but, also "sorting" of loose parts that hasn't been done up to the point of the last pictures I posted.......

With that said, I'm also making the whole "area" more user friendly with placement of paints, and tools, PLUS parts and such.....

~John

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - May 03 2012 :  12:47:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
frank,if i get my way it sure will be ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 05 2012 :  09:48:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Current Project on the work bench for the last 2 days.
* "Improving of Mantua kitbashed 4-6-0 that was factory painted for the CNJ."
* Overall appearance of the model was poor. Initially all that I had done was shortened the frame of a Mantua pacific. Then shorten a spare body I had to match the frame. Original paint with silver smokebox, mineral red roofs, and giant front headlight stayed the same. Even the 1608 number on the cab stayed. The large box poke drivers from the pacific gave it a more racy look, tho the driver type to modern.
* The CNJ purchased 5, L5 camelbacks from the Reading when they became excess there, repaced by C1s pacifics's. They had the 3 window Reading cabs like the Mantua model has. Reading numbers for their L5 sold were #'s 592 to 596. These numbers could not be kept for the CNJ already used this number series for their Atlantics. In fact number 592 is the number of the preserved Atlantic camelback donated to the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. The CNJ renumbered the 5 locos, #'s 631 to 635. I chose for mine # 634. The CNJ would reclassify these locomotives as L3s.
* The frame for the CNJ would stay. The drivers would be changed. The side rods and main rods would stay. For now the valve gear and cylinders would stay. Maybe a future upgrade could be made later on. The original drivers for this L3 class were 69" spoked drivers. The Mantua were 84" box poke drivers. On a old used frame with drivers, in my spare box was a Aristo-Craft CNJ 4-6-0 camelback drive. The pilot was broken off so this frame could not be used. The drivers were correct and in good shape. just the last axel had the drive gear on it. The main rods connected to the center driver. All drivers are flanged. For any 6 wheel drive this is OK. I had to take apart both wheel sets, pulling off both wheels and the gear, of the center and rear axles to switch axles and replace the drive gear, with a Mantua one to match the worm gear on the PM1 motor. Then put the wheel sets back together properly quartered. Because I kept the original Mantua frame, cylinders, side rods and valve gear, they all still fit except for widening the holes hole on some side rods, the main rod, and the eccentric fitting the Aristo-Craft center driver rod mounting post. Also this fitting needs to be soldered to the post mentioned. I am thinking of replacing the tender with a Reading tender off the type used on the loco by the Reading. It is the one that comes with old Mantua Pacific's and Atlantic's. Off which I still have just one. I have to see about this. The tender may be going to Catford branch.
So much for today.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2012 7:19:37 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 05 2012 :  11:06:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neat stuff & I do love this thread too <3
Did CNJ have boxcab locos? Cause mine would look uber cool with either CNJ or NYC on it

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - May 05 2012 :  12:14:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
I just wish I could come up with a Mantua Camelback as one of those pictured here......
As it seems, I find everything else but, Camelbacks even tho, I have 2 of them, only the 0-4-0 and the 0-6-0......

One day!

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 05 2012 :  6:32:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
neat stuff & I do love this thread too <3
Did CNJ have boxcab locos? Cause mine would look uber cool with either CNJ or NYC on it

Originally posted by microbusss - May 05 2012 :  11:06:06 AM

Ben CNj have the original one that was used as a demonstrator. The only one without the door in the front or back. it did come factory painted for the CNJ.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 08 2012 :  09:16:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Reading I-6 2-8-0 camelback project.
** I received a few days ago a Link to a Reading railroad list of drawings on side elevations of all their steam locomotives. Great info, not complete but still great. My I-6 project has benefited from it. My model is a kitbash and not a scratch build so all measurements will not be exact. If you start with a certain drive, a Bachmann 2-8-0 in my case. Way to much work is needed to be done to change driver size and frame length. To be exact you must scratch build.
** I am kitbashing. The entire Bachmann drive will remain unchanged and all will be made to conform to the, striped down, basic Bachmann I-10 body. In other words the engine will be a little bigger than the prototype. Around 3 feet in length. Easier to see for us old guys.
toptrain

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 10 2012 :  12:37:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The two RDG !-6 bodies still be done. Good work takes awile,
Some new trains.
Mantua 2-8-0 1950s version
Tyco small BN Diesel
Binkley old Pullman observation kit.
Ambroid wood combine
Varney Pullman
Binkley 40' wood reefer kit. Supreme Bisket.

toptrain

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 13 2012 :  09:56:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
a real busy little bee,i on other hand am just doing a little to pacific,ken

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 13 2012 :  12:21:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Boiler stay bars and insulated tender connection all look'in good.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 13 2012 :  12:55:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
dead right there frank,all i need then is drive gear,2 short walkways,headlamp,bell then with what i can make finished ken

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 16 2012 :  12:53:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Nice work up to this point!

Got a question, the green is that Squadrans putty?

Looks GREAT otherwise......I would NOT sand that at all! Use a fine cut mill file or Bastard file......Leaves a much smoother surface for finishing, with alot less work!

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 16 2012 :  9:34:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi Eric : yep it is squadron putty, green, on top of testors putty, tan. I am not good at filling and sanding. I will give it a good try and accept the results. I need to make two new cabs and firemen shelters. Also new boiler backheads. I haven't even started them yet, or decieded what year they will be modeled as. I have no as built photos or drawings. That may make them be later on like the 30s or 40s.
frank

frank or toptrain.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 16 2012 9:45:18 PM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 17 2012 :  2:11:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Eric : yep it is squadron putty, green, on top of testors putty, tan. I am not good at filling and sanding. I will give it a good try and accept the results. I need to make two new cabs and firemen shelters. Also new boiler backheads. I haven't even started them yet, or decieded what year they will be modeled as. I have no as built photos or drawings. That may make them be later on like the 30s or 40s.
frank

frank or toptrain.

Originally posted by toptrain - June 16 2012 :  9:34:06 PM

LOL Frank, its John!

Anyway file VERY slowly, with VERY little presure and they will turn out GREAT. Remember, speed is not the key here, its the slow even movement of the file that will reasult in a fine completed model!

Mind if I post pictures of a Rivarossi 2-10-2 that I transformed into a 4-8-2?

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 18 2012 :  05:17:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
Nope I can post it here then as I have no pictures of it on the layout, running, yet.... (My layout is on the hold list) so,....

The finished model......

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 18 2012 :  06:50:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
John :
* The Santa Fe type that became a Mountain type. The 4-8-2 kept it's B&O look. That is a good heavy mountain. The work on the boiler came out very well. Keep up the good work.
frank

toptrain

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 18 2012 :  4:17:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Thanks Frank!

Yes, they did keep the B&O looks....Most of the B&O rebuilds did in most cases, but not all of them!

The B&O took 2 wrecked S-1's, 2-10-2 type, and rebuilt them into class "T" 4-8-2's, the first of the "Mountain" type used on the B&O, and thats when the Motive Power Superintendant seen the potenial of the wheel arrangement and then began working on building a whole fleet of 4-8-2's from old 2-8-2's.....Needless to say, they were not as "balanced" looking at the originals, but were/kept the B&O looks!

As for good work, you bet! I take alot of pride in what I do on the models I build, not only for myself, but my customers as well!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 20 2012 :  06:39:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
With the B&O modeling I got another neat conversion.....a Rivarossi 2-10-2 boiler thats gonna be on a Rivarossi Y6b 2-8-8-2 frames!

Overall view.....

A view of a YTR casted cab.....on the 2-10-2 boiler, sitting on a Y6b set of frames:

A close up of the boiler sitting there on the frames....

I will be fitting the inside of the 2-10-2 boiler with the internals of the Y6b boiler for the engine set placement, and distance.....

Once I have this conversion that it will mount, I plan to mold all of it as well! Then those B&O guys out there can take a Y6b, and remove the rear trailing truck to go from a 2-8-8-2, to a 2-8-8-0, B&O EL class locomotive!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 20 2012 :  06:43:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
And then on top of that, I'm building the USA's first Articulted locomotive as well, the B&O's 1904, "Old Maude" 0-6-6-0, from a chassis from Mantua.....That will have a 100% scratchbuilt boiler!

And I changed the motor as well to have a flat can motor:

I want it to pull like the real thing did so.... the open frame motor had to go! Sadly, with the motor size, and the firebox size, I won't be able to add a flywheel as I would have liked too!

~John

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 20 2012 :  06:55:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
And then, setting on the back burner, is a Western Maryland I-2, 2-10-0.....It began life as a Penn Line Pennsy 2-10-0, which was a good frame base for the WM's Decapod, and then as I was building it I had a closer look to the WM's boiler of this locomotive, and seen that the Mantua "heavy" 2-8-2 boiler was a much better choice for a boiler, SO, I have began to mount a Mantua boiler, onto a Penn Line frame.....

And with that came the open frame motor which is relatively quiet, so, it remained , for now atleast....

Fits well inside the Mantua boiler shell!

And then you have the tender, the Western Marylands tender for this beast was 51 feet long! Which I got out the scale ruler and measured the Penn Line PRR version and its a CLOSE match! The only item I will have to change on the tender is the top section of the "coal bunker" the WM didn't have angled inward tops, as the PRR did! These will cut and re-positioned, to be straight and then filled in and filed off, or "milled" flat at that location.

Alittle bit of work, unless I could afford brass, but at $1,100 or so, I got better household things that won't allow me to purchase a train at that price and I'm not even sure I would, even if I had the cash to do it so......

I enjoy all this "work"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~John

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 20 2012 :  09:10:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
John those are interesting projects. Great cab you made. fits good. Cant waite to see how you will support the boiler on the 2-8-8-0 and how you will get the steam from the boiler to the cylinders.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 20 2012 09:14:34 AM

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - June 20 2012 :  10:09:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
Frank,
The cab is an exact replica of the original! I made them, as the cab overhang alot of times gets broken off, and theres no good way to repair them, besides replace the cab!

PLUS, that same cab is the actual cab for the B&O's 2-8-8-0's, as it was also used on the Rivarossi 2-10-2 so.....And is a B&O design/spotting feature for the railroad.

The steam pipes will be those as used for a real locomotive, and will be Rivarossi Cab Forwards steam pipes more or less, shortened or lengthened when I get that far As I'm not sure what I'll need for length at this time!

They, are details so.....I want to get the running of it done before I do any details!

I'll do my best to keep posting pictures on progress!

~John

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000