Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Watz go'n on! still going ! "My Workbench"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash
Page: of 10

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 04 2009 :  12:26:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The work bench ! today

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 15 2009 11:39:09 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 18 2009 :  07:51:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
First decapod off of service track and returned to service.

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 18 2009 :  5:31:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
What a collection! And classic Pennsy heavy metal to boot.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 18 2009 :  9:39:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson: I miss doubleheading decapods pulling long freights on my old layout. Now all I can do is make believe on my switching layout.
frank

toptrain

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 18 2009 :  10:29:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That must have been something, since those Penn Line's can pull.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 19 2009 :  12:16:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Right after I bought my 2-6-6-2 I kept thinking I should have picked up either at 2-8-0 Consolidation or a Decapod. The look of the missing rear pilot truck really grew on me. All of yours look great toptrain, can't wait to see the rest of them in service!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 19 2009 :  6:37:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Another decapod is ready to run now.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 28 2009 09:27:27 AM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - February 19 2009 :  7:21:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
quote:
Another decapod is read to run now.

Originally posted by toptrain-February 19 2009: 6:37:15 PM

Did you build another?

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 25 2009 :  3:39:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My latest work on four Penn Line decapods has been completed. All four are running now. all cleaned, oiled and tested.
frank

toptrain

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 27 2009 :  12:28:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hi Frank:

any of the PL `Pods available for sale or Trade?

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 28 2009 :  6:06:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Tomorrow morning is a train show I will attend. I am hopeing for a few things. It will be off to Mother Seaton High School in Clark New Jersey for the Jersey Cenrtal Railroad Historical Socity's annual show. It should Deffinatly change the look of my work bench. I'm am still having trouble with this thread. Once I post, I can't get back to view it so I have to edit it well the first time. This is one screwy site. The only one I have problums with.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 27 2009 :  08:52:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A revelation concerning my access to this thread. I found out exploring the threads options that if I click onto printiable version. I can read everything. I can't edit ! I have to get it right the first time or my bad spelling will be forver. Also when I click on to post a reply I can read everything here also. I'll work with this and see what happens.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:27:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The workbench has been cleaned up at this time. Reciently I worked on some Bachmann 4-8-4s, A Tyco W&A 4-6-0, And a Mantua Southern
2-8-4. I've been cleaning up and doing minor repairs on some Lionel HO.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 09 2009 :  8:50:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A different 2-6-6-2 tanker is seen rounding turn by the locomotive storage tracks.

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 10 2009 :  10:58:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Hey I has a complete DeWitt Clinton train one coach needs to be regauged tho & That Poultry Dispatch is a interesting car
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 12 2009 :  11:45:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I think that new 2-6-6-2 will get a nice Genisus USRA tender because of a Junky built Athearn Genisus Pacific. So at least I have a nice tender for the $70 I spent. Also the boiler and cab proved to be usefull. Maybe some other detail can be salvaged from it. My Genisus Mikado also has a split gear but still moves with its real nice clicking sound. Lets see their old 0-4-2 Vulcan, 0-6-0, and Pacific all have the same problum. Drive gears that split. Northwest short line saved the day at least on the pacific. My 0-6-0 has been scraped. it's tender remains. The old pacific runs with the new gear but because of its B&M heratage sits on the sidelines it age showing, or in a box. My old Vulcan is still in it's box after a few repair tries. The new Genisus 4-6-2 is being scraped. The new mikado with it's Pennsy facelift sits on the side track while Penn line Mikes that are 50 + years older smothly pull freights past it. A sign of it's relieability. Will I even think of a future Athearn Purchase, I think not. I don't ever buy their train cars now.
Now back to my 2-6-6-2 tanker. It looks like its life will change. It will go from a tanker, heavy switcher, to a road engine with the addition of the Genisus tender. Yes, good can come from bad, I just hope it will look good. i know it will run good.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 12 2009 11:47:27 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 22 2010 :  09:01:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Yesterday the workbench

** Here is some things I Purchased at the Greenberg train show a week ago, being worked on. Some metal tank cars, a Athearn mikado, 3 Life Like, Liliput PRR G5s locos, and a HObbyline PRR A5 without a tender.

* First photo: Left side, 3 tank cars. The front one is a all metal Mantua from the 1950 factory detailed for the Republic tank lines. The 2 behind are undecorated. They are of all brass construction made also in the 1950s by Silvine. A Cary PRR decapod loco body lays on its side benind three steam loco drives. These are Liliput drives made for Life Like. The tender shells, floors and details all go to these locos. They are PRR G5s. A pair of MDC truck trailers await decals. A Athearn Mikado is behind them, with the tender for the PRR I1, then my re-bodied Mantua 2-6-6-2 behind that. It is waiting for the tender that is behind it to be added with some more detail.
* Second photo: This is more centered on the workbench. Views of some of the same stuff metioned in the first photo with the addition of the 3 lifelike PRR G5s bodies.More detail parts for the G5s and repair parts for the PRR I1 are laying around.
* Third photo: Same stuff with the addition of a tichey train box with a hobbyline PRR A5 0-4-0 that is getting a new loco body. The old one is in the vise being held in place while the glue used to repair it cure

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 22 2011 9:14:11 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - January 22 2010 :  09:19:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Frank:

Instead of stretching out this thread into waht will likely become a third page, can I suggest you start a new one? Thats what the different sections are for. It makes searching easier, instead of having to keep scrolling.

Best,
Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 30 2010 :  2:36:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Frank:

Instead of stretching out this thread into waht will likely become a third page, can I suggest you start a new one? Thats what the different sections are for. It makes searching easier, instead of having to keep scrolling.
Best,
Gareth
Originally posted by romcat - January 22 2010 :  09:19:58 AM

Well if I do this, why should I do the work and put in the photos then? I am hoping that someone will scroll thro the past replys and see what was done or what has been put there.
I thought that was the point of this thing we do.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 30 2010 :  5:03:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
with you on this frank,why would you want to start a new thread about the same thing?ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 30 2010 :  7:23:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I likes the workbench area Hope mine looks that nice IF I ever get a bigger house hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 01 2010 :  09:12:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hi everybody !
* Latest work done is detailing 4 Hi Baller old time passenger cars. Three are of the cresatory roof type. The forth is a flat roof drover caboose. Hi Ball calls it a caboose combine. They are 48 foot long without couplers, to the platform ends. They are made of cast metal except for the floors, which are wood. The floors are very thin and it seems to be a problum when you fasten the trucks or end platforms. These need to be screwed down. The thin floor doesn't give enough grip to the screw. I'll work this out. At this time interiors are not in the plaining stages, floor thickness is not a problum. I'll put in a photo now then keep rambling on, later on.

[/center]

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 22 2011 9:05:09 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 22 2010 :  10:34:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
With the combine caboose the car is now put together right. Handrails, windows, and couplers are in place. I'll move on to the full baggage.
frank

toptrain

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 24 2011 :  7:06:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Impressive thread TopTrain! Impressive heavy metal Pennsy collection.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 31 2011 :  11:43:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I'm super jealous of your work space & collection Need to find me a nice 4-4-0

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 08 2011 :  4:57:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Kitbashing a Triang doublender EMD diesel for conversion to a TYCO power torque drive. The prototype had Co Co trucks. the model B trucks.

* the starting point. Tri-ang Diesel R159/R230. I added a few rub on lettering just to see if it would look ok.

* First I tried a TYCO MU2 diesel drive. Then the torque drive I liked it's appearance better. I striped off the yellow paint. The blue was the plastic color.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 08 2011 4:58:25 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 08 2011 :  5:07:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Back now to the doublender.
* I measured the loco being work on and compaired it to a Athearn SD45. The SD was longer. The couplers on the SD45 are body mounted so that is what I will do. I found a pair of Bachmann FTA diesels to donate there pilots to the project. I applied the pilots and cliped in the wired and cleaned drive and found out all clearances were OK.

* I gave the locomotive its green paint, then some decal stripes. The decals fell apart. The liberties went on good. So did the name and numbers. I will rework the striping later.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 08 2011 5:09:51 PM

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 08 2011 :  7:24:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Awesome Frank. Very cool and creative!
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 10 2011 :  5:43:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My doublender is still in progress. Now I will post a photo of my lastest project. I recieved this MDC Atlantic yesterday. I have been checking it out. Found the side rods no good the main drive geer missing a tooth. The reduction gear no good, but very worn. screw missing to hold motor down. Missmatched bodies. No thnder truck wheels and axels.
* Corrections so far. Replaced plactic tender with a die cast one of the same style with trucks and more detail. Replaced side rods with a spare pair of Bowser PRR E6 rods. Made a screw for mounting motor. Found a replacemsnt gear for nain drive axel.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 12 2011 6:40:52 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 10 2011 :  5:52:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
apart from the problems you have encountered and solved,it looks from photo to be in very good condition bodily,ken
Edited by - catfordken on February 10 2011 5:53:13 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 10 2011 :  7:05:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken ; It is coming along. Till I get another reduction gear It will be on hold. North west short line makes a replacement gear set. I will order one in a few days.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 11 2011 3:58:57 PM

Sundowner
Switcher

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - February 11 2011 :  6:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Sundowner to Buddylist
very nice collection and workspace
Looks like my place... just replace the trains with computers- lol
Very impressive, frank!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 19  ~  Member Since: February 09 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 12 2011 :  7:02:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what is the truck in the box? I'd like to have the D&RGW gondola & o.o you got one of the helium cars!

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 12 2011 :  8:12:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hey Buss, The truck in the box is a powered railcar with a trailer. And about the helium car it may be a spare.
If it is I will edit this post and tell you.
frank

edit ; Buss it is a spare.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 12 2011 8:15:16 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 12 2011 :  10:17:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
what is the roadname on helium car & would you sell me the Rio Grande gondola?
What is the brown flat car load in the 1st freight pic? 6th car from the left on bottom

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 12 2011 :  10:40:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
what is the roadname on helium car & would you sell me the Rio Grande gondola?
What is the brown flat car load in the 1st freight pic? 6th car from the left on bottom

Originally posted by microbusss - February 12 2011 :  10:17:10 PM

Roadname is NYC. No the RDG isn't for sall. The brown one is a NYC LCL car. It is a early container freight Car. It has 2 larger and 2 Smaller containers. It needs work. A project for me later on.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 13 2011 :  07:56:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hey frank i got an unmade kit of the nyc container car coming,by ambroid,he had one made up but like yours needs a bit of work and one of the large containers missing,ken

Edited by - catfordken on February 13 2011 08:33:45 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 13 2011 :  09:10:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ah thanks toptrain & it didn't hurt to ask anyway

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 13 2011 :  10:21:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
hey frank i got an unmade kit of the nyc container car coming,by ambroid,he had one made up but like yours needs a bit of work and one of the large containers missing,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - February 13 2011 :  07:56:17 AM

Ken with the one I have it is a bit beat up. It isn't play ware. On the car, all the queen posts and suport wires which are susposta be cables are trash. Need replacement. the body of the car is good. With the 4 containers, 2 need new roofs and all I bolts need to be replaced.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 13 2011 10:22:43 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 17 2011 :  11:35:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
OK Next a roundhouse repair. It started as a replacement for 4 doors. It wound up so far. 6 doors. 2 front sections with brick damage. One wall section falling out.
How a project can grow.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 22 2011 :  9:04:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I got a little done today. I pulled out The Railway design Associates kit of the J&J Tool Co. It is a incomplete kit and I wanted to see what I could build from it. Of the 3 structers the make up the model only the main structer was in the bag. The leanto and small addition are no to be found. But the main building is complete.
Here it is not painted.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 23 2011 :  8:08:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Return to a older project.
Going back to Feb 8 the doublender was awaiting additional work. I relocated the trucks to where they were more centered in their opening. I also lowered the body slightly. The new look.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 24 2011 :  3:29:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here it is with it couplers.

toptrain

Helm
Little Six

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - February 25 2011 :  06:48:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Helm to Buddylist
I love your ersatz Baldwin double ender!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 138  ~  Member Since: October 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 25 2011 :  1:00:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
I love your ersatz Baldwin double ender!!!

Originally posted by Helm - February 25 2011 :  06:48:58 AM

Rich , look closser. You will see it has a look General Motors diesels. The high grill is the same as a F9. Th nose is like the EMD F3,F7,or F9. It doesnt have the Baby face front ends. The CNJ doublenders were Baldwin. Number 2000 to 2006. My 2007 is a imaginary next loco in class. It is not a imaginary locomotive. EMD doublenders like this but with 3 axel trucks were made and sold throughout the British empire.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 25 2011 2:31:06 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 29 2011 :  8:33:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now going on and a final step completed. I found at a show a Tyco SD24 a that had a good set to EMD trucks. These I applied to my CNJ #2007. Outside of touching up paint the project is complete.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 29 2011 8:34:08 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 04 2011 :  5:40:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
My BWI NYC Hudson is now running. My Hudson Has no DCC, or sound. It is now a stright running DC locomotive.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 11 2011 :  09:08:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I have done some work on the silvine brass tank cars I got reciently. touchups and lettering.
Frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 11 2011 :  09:11:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
One of them , the Silvine tank cars came out Ok.

Another Victor Chenical Works kept its beat up look.

My PRR Empire lines is done but not well done.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 13 2011 12:16:08 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 05 2011 :  12:49:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The current mess today. Trains awaiting repair, and paint striping,

toptrain

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: Santa Fe Tyco Operating Box  cars Topic Next Topic: Portland style box motor kitbash  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000