Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Watz go'n on! still going ! "My Workbench"
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RP Works Custom Locomotives & Other Projects Topic Next Topic: NJT E8
Page: of 10

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 17 2008 :  08:16:09 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
my workbench
Edited by - toptrain on January 08 2017 09:08:52 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - November 27 2008 :  04:05:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
** Just opening up this topic to see the changes and what is getting done at my work bench.
** Whats in for work at this time is... A mantua Booth Kelly 2-6-6-2t..."

Originally posted by toptrain-November 17 2008: 08:16:09 AM

If you can take apart the Athearn Coors refer, sand smooth the body ends, removing the paint completely. The ends are covered by the roof/refer part... you may notice that the ends bow out. Any paint on the body ends will increase the bowing.

Trim around where the ends/ coupler mount/ chassis meet. The chassis coupler mount should fit snugly into the body clamp so the "end bottom tab" is slotted into the chassis.

Also trim around the roof-lock at the door location on the body and the roof.

The Booth-Kelly Logger has a knuckle at its pilot, while there is a "Magic-Mate" coupler at its rear.

The Magic Mate coupler will hook up to both knuckle and horn-hook couplers. Use a magnet to uncouple knuckle couplers fitted on freight cars.

Horn-hook equipped cars are not so hard to uncouple from these.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on November 27 2008 04:23:56 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 27 2008 :  6:51:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
31031 and 433 are back on the road again.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2008 :  11:48:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
12 16 08 : Alot of stuff is cleaned up. I'm working on a triang-Tyco kitbash at this time. I'm using the TYCO do all 2-8-0 Chattanuga Cho Cho frame and drivers mated to a Triang Pacific boiler. Then adding a set of drivers, bumping it up to a decapod. The addition of a standard pilot and american cab will complete the general look of the loco. As to the drive. The tender drive is gone. A standard USRA tender will replace it providing left track pickup. The smoke unit is gone. The excentric used to pump smoke has been removed from it's axel and replaced with a gear from a Mantua 0-4-0. A Mantua motor will be used. Valve gear has been added form another 2-8-0 drive. What I hope comes out of this is a LNE, Lehigh and New England decapod. I'll keep ploding along anf see what happens
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 19 2008 11:30:22 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 16 2008 :  1:05:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
hi Toptrain

so i see you are mechanic!

sometimes i will get me a mantua mikado.

erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - December 16 2008 :  1:30:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank in the last picture is that a dewitt set ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2008 :  2:20:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken : Yes it is a Dewit Clinton. I only have 1 coach. It is ment to be a flat car load.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 16 2008 :  2:23:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
ERICH : I am a Wan-to-be mechanic. I just do thing and however they come out, they come out. My son is a good kitbasher. He is almost done with his 4-8-0 camelback, and it looks real good.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 16 2008 2:25:34 PM

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 16 2008 :  2:43:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Frank, is this an open "workbench" thread for anyone, or just your own personal shop? I see nobody else has posted but I wasn't sure I should be doing so either...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 16 2008 :  2:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
hi TOPTRAIN:

better wanabe than not to-to-do

erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 16 2008 :  2:48:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Sorry your name is FRANK

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 16 2008 :  8:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Frank,

How did you add the extra axle bearing to the back of the frame? Did you mill it out?

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 17 2008 :  12:28:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
[quote]Frank, is this an open "workbench" thread for anyone, or just your own personal shop?

TONY : IN NO WAY IS THIS PRIVATE. LETS SEE YOUR WORK BENCH AND WHAT YOU GOT GOING ON. Maybe I'll find out the right way to do things.
FRANK

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 17 2008 :  12:46:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
[quote]Frank,
From Tony L
How did you add the extra axle bearing to the back of the frame? Did you mill it out?

Nelson : I took the easy way out. The back end of the frame is already milled upward alowing for the thickness of the new axel. All I did was make a bracket of what I had laying around. The side rods are one piece, so I cut two set down from 4 axel tp 3 axel. Cuting away the one section that goes to the fourth axel. The side rods now join at the center axel where the gear is and main rod ties on. The side rods have a larger hole here to alow for the sleave that goes over the retiner bolt and spacer that goes between the main rods and side rods. Once I had all 5 axels together and droped into the frame it was easy to line up the bracket and drill the frame for the bracket retainer screw. Their is no binding in this drive. When placed on a track it rolls very freely.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 17 2008 12:48:32 PM

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 17 2008 :  1:31:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
That's a pretty neat decapod kit-bash Frank.
Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 17 2008 :  4:43:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray : It is just started. Big problum! Because of the valve gear I have to remove and raise boiler walkway. I haven't even started to even figure that one out yet. It may be easier to just replace it with something else.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 19 2008 11:33:44 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 20 2008 :  3:42:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Frank, I'd like to see a picture of the bearing you made. Did you use some scrap brass?

Here is a recent project of mine. Thanks to Ray for recommending the these motors. Ray, I've seen your tutorial where you install one of these in a P2K E8. It must crawl, because this reduces the Budd car to a top speed of about 60mph. I checked the specs again, and they're rated for 12-42VDC, so they barely get warm even at top speed.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 23 2008 :  09:17:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson : The part I used was from a old street car and trolley drive. The axel bearing and retainer. I bent it a little to hold the axel tighter.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 11 2009 5:03:44 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 23 2008 :  09:30:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the work bench to day showing the kit bashed decapod drive.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 23 2008 6:23:37 PM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - December 23 2008 :  11:09:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
It looks like it'll be pretty sweet once it's all buttoned up, Frank.
I like the idea of adding an extra axle, it has a unique look.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - December 23 2008 :  7:46:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Good thinking, Frank. I wouldn't have thought of that myself. Have you run the chassis yet?
The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 25 2008 :  09:59:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson : Merry Christmas ! Happy Holidays !
The drive runs just fine.

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 11 2009 :  6:47:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the kitbashed decapod . It needs some dullcote.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 12 2009 2:20:34 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 12 2009 :  2:26:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
like it frank,how does it go,fast as its an express,powerful as its a hill climber or both ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 12 2009 :  3:00:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken : It runs fine on the switching layout that I have.

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 12 2009 :  3:05:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
and unique ken

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 12 2009 :  7:49:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
***** The Kitbashed Decapod *****

The boiler is of a British desige. The sand dome is from a Tyco 2-8-0. The pilot is from a Backmann PRR K4, as is the cab. The sand dome has been replaced with one cut out of a Tyco 2-8-0 boiler. The tender is a Backmann. It has been modified for tender pickup. Bowser axels and wipers are added, also my own style of quick connect for the transfer of power from the tender to the motor is added. The drive is a modified Tyco 2-8-0, the smoke unit and excentrick is removed and a Tyco 0-4-0 gear added. The motor is from standard tyco steamer. The bell is Athearn. The headlight is a Bowser/Selly. The boiler front is from a Model Power pacific.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 15 2009 08:45:21 AM

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - January 12 2009 :  9:26:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Franken-Loco!

A slew of parts put together to make one whole piece, it's green, and it's made by Frank...

Very cool I must say, a unique and interesting piece. A quick spray of Dullcote and it'll be ready for service!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 12 2009 :  9:52:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Nice job, Frank. I see you managed to reposition the running boards.

It runs okay on your switching layout, but have you tried it on any curves? That's one heck of a wheelbase.

The Tyco Depot

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 13 2009 :  10:53:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Matt ! You noticed the need for dullcoat. I gloss coated to see if I had a color match with the tender which was gloss already. It is close enough.
Their are 3 other shades of green covered by the top coat of color. They are air brushed, so they are thin. This is definitly a part box loco.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 13 2009 11:00:08 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 13 2009 :  10:58:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nelson: It has not seen a curv yet. It has gone thro the back to back #6 switches only. It has no problum their. You are right about the long wheel base,and all drivers are flanged. I'll put together some 18" snap track and see what it will do.
frank

toptrain

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 13 2009 :  11:10:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Nice job Frank.
A great way to express imagination and creativity.
I am working on a freelance loco also. I'll have to post a photo of it.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 13 2009 :  11:18:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
RAY : Thank you ! Can't wait to see it.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 17 2009 :  12:14:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A calm time on my work bench. Many things are in boxes awaiting work and parts. Most important is the Mantua 2-6-6-2 that needs a boiler, or at least a smoke box. Model Power has none at this time. Their are 4 or 5 different boilers. The difference being the location of domes and hardware. They all fit. No matter which one I get, i'll move around detail to get it back and running.
I've been thinking of kitbashing old time 2-4-0's or 2-6-0's. Also possiably making a Mantua pacific into a Reading pacific for it's Name train the Crusader!
The Crusader had just 5 streamlined passenger cars in tow with additional express cars added. The oddity is that it ran two observation cars at either end. Only the locomotive was turned. It would couple up to the other end and away it went. No change was made to the passenger train.
Well time to do what ever.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 17 2009 :  12:30:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank did they ever make a 4-4-4-4 if not why,and if not is it plausable
i know of b&o in 1937 just one loco,and prrs duplex plus 4-4-6-4,would have thought it was a good arrangement but it could not have been so few worldwide

Edited by - catfordken on January 17 2009 1:58:59 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 20 2009 :  2:10:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken, I can't see who they were or are. You mention a 4-4-4-4. Here the only ones made, that were not duplexs, were brass. A T1 is a duplex. A duplex is two seperate cylinder drives on a single frame,non articulating.
On my workbench I went back to detailing a Bowser B6sa (0-6-0). It's not my engine I'm doing it for a friend ( Bob Langen ). It is about 99% done.
I am just about done trying to get photos into this site. It isn't worth the time. I follow your instructions and after a few times it finaly goes in. I have many ways of bringing photos into my computer. Arcsoft, Windows, Word, Picasa, Adobbie, Webshots, Epson, and others. This site just requires to much work for photos. Everyone does .JPEG. Do you have any idea how many posts weren't done because of this site's quirkes. I just don't want to answere with photos anymore. To much is lost. I'll just sit back read and type.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 20 2009 2:12:19 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 20 2009 :  2:43:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank t1 is 4-4-4-4 and a duplex according to this link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_T1

but my point was why were they not succesful,i would have thought otherwise ken

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 20 2009 :  11:19:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:

I am just about done trying to get photos into this site. It isn't worth the time. I follow your instructions and after a few times it finaly goes in. I have many ways of bringing photos into my computer. Arcsoft, Windows, Word, Picasa, Adobbie, Webshots, Epson, and others. This site just requires to much work for photos. Everyone does .JPEG. Do you have any idea how many posts weren't done because of this site's quirkes. I just don't want to answere with photos anymore. To much is lost. I'll just sit back read and type.
Originally posted by toptrain-January 20 2009: 2:10:09 PM

While I won't deny that the site is maddeningly buggy at times, I feel I must point out that the problem with photos being "JPEG" is something exclusive to you, or your computer.

JPEG is the name of the format (a cousin to the multimedia format MPEG). But the extension used in 99% of the internets, is simply 3 letters: JPG. I won't argue that the forum's inablity to handle JPEG is a lacking feature, but really the JPEG extension is quite unorthodox...

- I guarantee that if you download any random picture from any website, 99% of the time it is a JPG (if not a GIF or PNG or BMP or something else. And you'll notice, those other formats are three letters as well. And so is MPG (video) and MP3 (audio)).

- Digital cameras take photos and name the files JPG on the card
- Digital photo frames read .jpg files but little else
- most email photo attachments are .jpg
- and on and on... the standard, univerally supported format for anything that deals with images is .jpg, NOT .jpeg.

- Look at any file in your computer. ZIP TXT EXE MPG MOV WMV MP3 AVI HTM INI CFG Those are all 3-letter extensions. See the pattern? 99% of the files in a PC will be that way.

So the problem is not so much the site not doing JPEG. The problem is your computer saving them that way. I cannot from here tell you what is wrong with your computer. Windows can natively display both JPEG and JPG files with no ultimate regard for the extension name. But if something is renaming your .jpg file extnsions to .JPEG... well I have honestly not heard of such a thing nor can fathom why anyone would do so. Maybe your file associations are wacky. Probably one of those programs you listed is configured wrong. I would seriously look for the culprit and disable it, then pick one or two photo managers to use by default and get rid of the others.

Open your photo editor and "Save As" .jpg and not .jpeg If something changes it afterward, or it will not let you save as .jpg in the first place, then you have a serious problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  09:55:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I know the problum is in my computer. But every other site I download photos to accepts the photos as is. They all take them except this site.
My problum with my computer is 5 different people use it. When that wounderfull window appears asking for you to select this or that mode of storing or program use for a particular service I am not their 4/5 of the time to stop the change. Once it occurs I can't change it back. Also just typing .jpg changes nothing. It come up .jpg.JPG and is not accepted. The ingranded .JPEG remains.
Flicker is a P--n In The A-- to use. Everything goes in one at a time .Then comes out one at a time. Every other program I listed unloads the camers all at once and places them in a file all at once.
As I stated this site and it's choice of .jpg only causes me to spend too much time trying to make it work.
frank

toptrain

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 21 2009 :  10:39:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I use a photo browser called ACDsee32 to chanhe JPG to jpg.
I save as the photo to a file named Tyco forum photos I usually rename the photo for easier identification.
I have to do one photo at a time but it can be done in a few clicks. as oposed to using a the photo program that came with the camera which is a painful process.

Ray

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 21 2009 :  10:45:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Here's the kit-bash loco I have been working on.

Ray

martin67
Big Six

Posted - January 21 2009 :  10:49:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add martin67 to Buddylist
Hi,

whats the "223" numbered engine in the background (behind the green decapod)? Looks rather european, like a Liliput Cl. 62.... Got some pix?

Martin

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigene%20Webs/lima-modellbahn/index.htm

Edited by - martin67 on January 21 2009 10:50:22 AM
 Country: Germany  ~  Posts: 222  ~  Member Since: May 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  12:35:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Locomotive 223, A liliput 4-6-4t

Attachment: CNJ 223b 008.jpg.JPG ( 31489bytes )

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  12:42:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray : It looks great! lots of questions.
1- Is that a AHM Casey Jones body ?
2- The drive, what or who's? it looks like a Model power 2-8-0 or MDC. I'de favor MDC. pins and not screws or bolts hold on rods.
3- Does it run or is it a static model ? If MDC it runs.
4- The Tender if it runs, what or who's ?
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 21 2009 12:50:44 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  1:00:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ken : As to the T1 they were not as successfull as wished. That PRR dream of using just one locomotive to pull a Passenger train thro Horse Shoe curve was not realized. They were used mainly west of Harrisburg. What was accomplished as with all the duplexs was great power. Negative aspects, More parts more maintance. Bigger and heavier more track maintance. This is a loco that if it could have been speed tested would have set records. The track at this time would not have held it.
frank

toptrain

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 21 2009 :  1:02:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi frank many thanks,lots of money spent,when diesels were just around the corner and ww2 ,were all against it,ken

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - January 21 2009 :  1:58:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
I've always heard among the other problems stated here, that one of the biggest was traction (slipping). I've seen photos of early diesel switchers having to pilot this loco away from a station because this loco could not start a heavy train (even though it had the power to pull it). Apparently, it was a bit embarrassing for Pennsy (and the loco crew).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 21 2009 :  2:22:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
so it was a matter of equal weight distribution,would have thought that could have been solved,ken

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  4:33:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The T1s slipped at start. All steam engines sliped at start They also were built as Passenger engins. They were built for power at speed. They were designed for passenger Service. Those high drivers were meant for nothing else but go fast. When a M1a slipped it show a need for sand. When the T1 slipped it could dammage the track. They had the L's,H's,I's,M's,J's. and Q's for freight. The E's, G's, K's and T1 were passenger service.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 23 2009 8:40:47 PM

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - January 21 2009 :  6:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Ray : It looks great! lots of questions.
1- Is that a AHM Casey Jones body ?
2- The drive, what or who's? it looks like a Model power 2-8-0 or MDC. I'de favor MDC. pins and not screws or bolts hold on rods.
3- Does it run or is it a static model ? If MDC it runs.
4- The Tender if it runs, what or who's ?
frank

Originally posted by toptrain-January 21 2009: 12:42:26 PM

It is the AHM Casey Jones body with a little modification on a remotored MDC 2-8-0 chassis and an Aristocraft (New One) tender.
I runs realy nice.
Here's a link to some construction photos.
http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=5373.html

Ray

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 21 2009 :  7:49:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray : Congratulations you've done it again. more very good work. The body is a excelent length size for the drive The plate makeing up the floor-walkways was a excelent idea. It came out very well.
The tender looks like the tender for the 2-4-2 Columbia. It all goes together very well. Doesn't look kitbashed.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 21 2009 8:02:22 PM
Page: of 10 Previous Topic: RP Works Custom Locomotives & Other Projects Topic Next Topic: NJT E8  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000