Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW March 25 - 31, 2018
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: April 1st - April 7th Topic Next Topic: LOTW Feb 4 thru Feb 10  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 26 2018 :  4:31:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A bit off track, into Europe, Britain specifically, is this new acquisition Hornby
Terrier. I am having too much fun with this nicely detailed, tiny, but gutsy
little shunter.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator 

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 26 2018 :  5:09:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Dangit Chops, your British layout is making me want to get British trains! Must....refrain...AGGH
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 26 2018 :  5:11:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Nice Jeff.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 26 2018 :  5:26:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
You know, BNSFIA, when I got back into the hobby about '91,
when I was getting out of the Army, I went into British, even
though finding stuff was a real trick- although there was one
brick and mortar store near Boston. Had to blind order through
mail order and ended up with some real dogs.

Around 2001 I got a Tyco NH box car and painted up to look
like a cheap Penn Central takeover, and then one thing led
to another and now I got so much Tyco it is insane.

I can help ease your pain by telling you that the British stuff
is still hit or miss, and I've learned to avoid certain brands
altogether, and paying shipping is a LOT.

And thanks, Barry!

Edited by - Chops124 on March 26 2018 5:28:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 26 2018 :  6:34:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Well Chops, good to hear. How do those British locos fare using US transformers and outlets?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  7:23:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice British switcher, Chops!!

Here's my LOTW offering:

Vintage Bachmann Santa Fe U36B #350, the latest addition to the locomotive roster, was obtained on Ebay in excellent condition, for only $24.00! The locomotive was first released by Bachmann in 1978, and brought the company resounding success. This A.T.S.F. U-Boat does a marvelous job hauling freight on the outer line of the Ephrata Valley Railroad, and it proudly wears its "Chrome" silver coat behind the "Warbonnet" livery.

I've actually been searching for a good price on a Bachmann U36B for quite some time, and am now satisfied to have fulfillled another aspiration.

While Santa Fe owned a drove of different kinds of GE U-Boats, they never actually operated a U36B........ However, Bachmann got their idea from the six-axle, originally built for passenger-service then downrated to freight, U28CG behemoth. In fact, here's the "real" "Warbonnet" U-boat (U28CG) #350 (Image Credit of K.B. King)-

Nevertheless, Bachmann made their HO-Scale (and N-Scale I'm sure) U36B a reliable, durable locomotive! I'm glad to now see one operating on my layout - the first U-Boat in the roster!!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 26 2018 :  7:42:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
got a matching chrome caboose?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  7:57:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
No, actually I'm using my Life-Like red Santa Fe center-cupola caboose!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - March 26 2018 :  7:57:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 26 2018 :  8:35:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
My train shop co-worker got me this little Lionel Hustler last week. Has a WHOLE carp-load of what looks like steel wool in the motor, which needs cleaning out. Still, in good shape overall, body isn't broken like many are.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 26 2018 :  10:00:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - March 26 2018 :  7:57:34 PM

did you want one?
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18516
hehehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  10:02:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - March 26 2018 :  7:57:34 PM

did you want one?
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18516
hehehe

Originally posted by microbusss - March 26 2018 :  10:00:25 PM

YAH! If you would like to trade it?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 31 2018 :  4:23:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Well Chops, good to hear. How do those British locos fare using US transformers and outlets?

Originally posted by RealBnsfIA - March 26 2018 :  6:34:46 PM

Good question: throughout the 1950's, and I recall seeing outlets of a different fashion into my
time there in the mid 1960's, a different sort of AC current was in use for mains. My recollection
is vague only, and can't be more specific than that.

What I have found, quite by accidentally purchasing some old Hornby coaches, is that Hornby
made an AC two rail in the 1950's, that passed current through the wheels, into the
metal bodies, and through the couplers. I imagine this gave these trains exceptional
electrical contact- no need to worry about dirty track there.

First time I set them on DC rail, I couldn't understand why they arced and sparked and
why the circuit breaker kept on blowing.

Those carriages were built like iron, truck to roof, and it was impossible to replace the
wheel sets with insulated one's, so I sold them on eBay for pennies on the dollar to
a collector in Georgia, of all places.

After about 1960ish, or so, Hornby went with a conventional DC arrangement, and as
such even my older pieces from that transition period are perfectly adapted to MRC
power packs.

What is not compatible, 100% of the time, is Atlas Code 100, even though Hornby is
Code 100. Having a lot of surplus brass, and NS, Atlas track components lying around,
I tried several times to build British layouts using that.

Frequently, but not always, the OO flanges rattle noisily across the spike heads, just
enough to give the whole thing an ominous rattle. More frequently, depending on the
brand and the age, the Atlas Code 100 frogs would tip, trip, or push off the larger
flanges on some pieces and derail at frequent, but not consistent intervals.

Hornby track, by example, costs over $4 per piece of nine inch straight, and turnouts
start at about $25, and you can about double the cost when overseas shipping is included.

I did find, to my astonishment, one other Hornby collector in El Paso. There are a few
collector clubs around the US, and many excellent internet Forums in Britain. Overall,
it appears that interest in model railroading is much greater in Britain than it is here,
judging by the weekly posts of people saying they are starting their first layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11195  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 01 2018 :  3:07:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
quote:
A bit off track, into Europe, Britain specifically, is this new acquisition Hornby
Terrier. I am having too much fun with this nicely detailed, tiny, but gutsy
little shunter.
Originally posted by Chops124 - March 26 2018 :  4:31:37 PM

Y'all in UK have some of the coolest looking little steamers. The style and colors are both quite appealing.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW: April 1st - April 7th Topic Next Topic: LOTW Feb 4 thru Feb 10  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000