Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Movies / TV shows with model and real trains
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My first encounter with Zinc Pest :( Topic Next Topic: made up railroads
Page: of 2

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 11 2007 :  4:46:14 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
With today being a rainy one in the south(much needed rain) and the type of work i do-- delivering cement-my work can be dictated by mother nature--so we were "washed out" and sent home. I turned the tv on and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was on. Never seen it before. It was made in 1951 which is before i was born=1972. It is about a human like alien and his robot who come to warn earth about nuclear destruction. One scene shows the boy getting ready for bed and he is talking to his mother-she walks out of the room and he gets off his bed and slides out a Lionel train layout from underneath his bed and begins running the train. Two more scenes in the movie show a New haven GG1 electric and a Santa FE F A & B unit in the desert. Post your favorite movie train scene-real or toy/model.
Edited by - Brianstyco on April 19 2009 5:39:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 11 2007 :  7:04:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Mine comes from an odd source. Just before he died, Johnny Cash did a very moving remake of a Nine Inch Nails' cover song "Hurt". In it you'll find him at the throttle of a steam engine, walking the line, hopping a boxcar and an interesting shot of a toy steam engine's valve gear in motion. When you figure all he went through, self-inflicted and otherwise, it's quite a moving epitaph.

>>> http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/j/johnny_cash/hurt_nine_inch_nails_cover_song.html
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - June 12 2007 :  09:59:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
How about 1977's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" with Richard Dreyfus' HO-scale pike featuring, I think, an Amtrak Atlas HO-scale FP-7.
Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 12 2007 :  10:52:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
Mine comes from an odd source. Just before he died, Johnny Cash did a very moving remake of a Nine Inch Nails' cover song "Hurt". In it you'll find him at the throttle of a steam engine, walking the line, hopping a boxcar and an interesting shot of a toy steam engine's valve gear in motion. When you figure all he went through, self-inflicted and otherwise, it's quite a moving epitaph.

>>> http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/j/johnny_cash/hurt_nine_inch_nails_cover_song.html

Originally posted by shaygetz - June 11 2007 : 7:04:52 PM

Just to clarify: as by Nine Inch Nails, the song "Hurt" is not a cover, but an original work. Hurt is one of NIN's most famous songs, and very haunting live. The Man in Black's cover took it to a whole new level. But I will caution that Nine Inch Nails is not for the tame or faint of heart... but they are my favorite musical act and in fact my avatar of recent weeks contains a reference to the most recent album, which is also featured in one of the new iPhone commercials.

Now on topic:

The short-lived 1995 UPN sci-fi / drama / thriller series "Nowhere Man" had an episode where the main character, as ever on the run, traced clues to the home of a scientist who had gone "missing". Trying to hide, he breaks into a darkened, abandoned workshop behind the home and finds a hidden room with a huge O-scale layout. He picks up a box which results in the sudden awakening of the layout... it is powered by an experimental inductive power source, which is presumably why the creator went missing. Cue "x-files" music...

(I always thought "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" would have been amusing if staged on a HO layout.)

The movies "Striking Distance" and "Switchback" feature some interesting railroad action, respectively by CSX (real) and Rio Grande (staged by Hollywood with a repainted SD50 I believe). The former is a merely decent Bruce Willis B-movie while the latter is a better Denzel Washington vehicle. Switchback is heavily centered around the railroads, actually while in Striking Distance they play an ancillary role; CSX's "bright future" scheme was brand-new at the time of filming.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 12 2007 3:55:55 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - June 12 2007 :  3:43:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
The movies "Striking Distance" and "Switchback" feature some interesting railroad action, respectively by CSX (real) and Rio Grande (staged by Hollywood with a repainted SD50 I believe). The former is a merely decent Bruce Willis B-movie while that latter is a better Denzel Washington vehicle. Switchback is heavily centered around the railroads, actually while in Striking Distance they play an ancillary role; CSX's "bright future" scheme was brand-new at the time of filming.

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - June 12 2007 :  10:52:07 AM

The Paramount movie "Switchback" featured I believe an Espee SD-38 or SD-38-2, and not an SD50 which the D&RGW actually did own, painted into typical black Rio Grande colors with the large speed letter "flying Rio Grande" on its side. Overland Models did a brass HO-scale model in the "Switchback"-created what-if paint!

And I'm gonna have to say that was Danny Glover and not Denzel Washington in the cast that also featured Dennis Quad.

"Switchback" is a pretty fun train movie, if you've never seen it. The DVD has been seen in Wal-Mart's $5 bin by me on numerous occasions. Check It Out!

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

Edited by - Tony Cook on June 12 2007 3:43:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 12 2007 :  3:55:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
The Pamount movie "Switchback" featured I believe an Espee SD-38 or SD-38-2, and not an SD50 which the D&RGW actually did own, painted into typical black Rio Grande colors with the large speed letter "flying Rio Grande" on its side. Overland Models did a brass HO-scale model in the "Switchback"-created what-if paint!

And I'm gonna have to say that was Danny Glover and not Denzel Washington in the cast that also featured Dennis Quad.
Originally posted by Tony Cook - June 12 2007 : 3:43:04 PM

Ah, thanks for the corrections... I had to leave abruptly as I was typing and didn't have time to fact-check on the fly.

The cool thing about Switchback is that the RioGrande had not existed as a separate entity for many years, but the movie's producers had the locomotive freshly done-up for it anyway!

I need to look for my vids of Nowhere Man to review that one scene again. That was a cool show but good luck finding it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 12 2007 :  5:43:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:

Just to clarify: as by Nine Inch Nails, the song "Hurt" is not a cover, but an original work. Hurt is one of NIN's most famous songs, and very haunting live. The Man in Black's cover took it to a whole new level. But I will caution that Nine Inch Nails is not for the tame or faint of heart... but they are my favorite musical act and in fact my avatar of recent weeks contains a reference to the most recent album, which is also featured in one of the new iPhone commercials.
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - June 12 2007 : 3:52:07 PM

Thanks for the correction. Being a fire and brimstone pastor, most folks I know would faint that I could even mention NIN without frothing at the mouth. They are most definitely not for the faint of heart and certainly not on my regular playlist while preparing the next sermon. Cash did a great job with it and I understand it had a powerful effect on the members of NIN.

Now to find my latest Slipknot CD so I can get back to work....
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - June 12 2007 :  6:11:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
"The Flim Flam Man" with George C. Scott, WAAAY back in '67, has an opening sequence with an L&N Pan American consist.

Recently, "PrisonBreak" was in Dallas filming with Trinity Rail and Amtrak.

"Silver Streak" with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder

There was a James Bond movie w/Roger Moore (I forget the name) that had a killer train sequence.

"Dogma" with Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Jay and Silent Bob. (Hillarious, by the way)

I'm sure a few more will come to mind.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - June 12 2007 :  7:03:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
The James Bond movie that theoldreliable may have been thinking of is Roger Moore's first 007 film from 1973 "Live And Let Die." Moore battles a villian with a mechanical arm and tosses him out a window of a train.

Also thought today of the ABC TV-movie from '73 starring the Rio Grande Ski Train..."RUNAWAY!" with Ben Johnson at the throttle of a D&RGW GP30 and GP35 out of control with no brakes on its way down to Denver. Silly movie, but fun to see the old NP coaches of the Ski Train and the Rio Grande geeps.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

sbenny
Switcher

N&W Pony

Posted - June 12 2007 :  8:08:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add sbenny to Buddylist
Two movies that come to mind where the train plays a main role:
The Polar Express
Back To the Future III

And the commercials for Coors - The Silver Bullet.

And for TV, there is the Addams Family and their trains.
Wasn't there a TV show in the 80s (or 90s) with a doctor that played with trains in his office? I think it was because the actor really had these trains.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: November 20 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 20 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CPRailer
Switcher

Posted - June 18 2007 :  2:34:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CPRailer to Buddylist
Back to the Future III
Blazing Saddles
And that epic block buster-Atomic Train![:P]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 83  ~  Member Since: June 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - June 18 2007 :  10:18:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
If you are going for the full collection of movies referencing trains or even layouts....

Superman Returns has an interesting layout scene. I don't think GIC was in the room when it came on and I missed the whole scene, but saw enough to see it was a model of the set of the show "Smallville" and Lex Luther wrecked with the crystals. I was impressed with the detail (and seeing on the FIL's HDTV was pretty neat) (no we can't get one).

Other train scenes - the one in the Fugitive was awesome! That was one heck of a train wreck!

~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ptgolf
Little Six

Posted - June 20 2007 :  10:39:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ptgolf to Buddylist
Gomez Adams crashing his trains into each other and Emporer of the North are some of my favorites. I also remember a Movie with John Voit and Julie Roberts brother as escaped Cons taking over a train.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 113  ~  Member Since: March 13 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - June 21 2007 :  03:47:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist

[:O]
1. N-Scale "Flight of the Intruder"
2. HO Scale "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" This was a TYCO F7... My step-dad had that engine that growled... with a rod at each truck-top was removable, both trucks were powered and came with a dummy A-unit... (but, I also loved the music, to boot!)
Note, two versions of this part of the movie:
A. "Hurry, Toby, there are millions of lives at stake..."
B. No talk about the train. Just Roy running his train into an open drawbridge where a boat was traveling through, the bridge comes down onto the locomotive.
C. During the evacuation... all those people clammering onto the tops of those boxcars! Ohh boy, the FRA would have something to say about that.

3. O-27 The Twilight Zone (Rod Serling) Episode about a man and woman who get onto a train. The train moves for about 10 minutes, and the couple de-train... only to see the exact scenery they just left. Eventually, you see a giant eye of a child peering through one of the houses' windows, and the woman screams in horror. The train ends up being a circle of track on a child's peice of plywood. It's a Lionel model train.

4. RunAway... Rebecca de Mornay? Up in Alaska... Snow? http://www.alaskarails.org/sf/film/runaway-train/ The film was originally set in Wisconsin, not Alaska.

5. Superman 1:
A. The MKT early when he runs and jumps across it at the crossing.
B. Tunnel scene where the detective gets "meatloafed" by the New Haven F-9(FL-9?)
C. Earthquake scene with the rail that comes apart with Amtrak about to cross it... Look at the end of the interior of the dome car... It's the "Ying-Yang" symbol of an ex-Northern Pacific car.
Addendum: That rail that Superman raised back up... ah... pretty cruddy quality rail to droop from a 4 foot hanging.

6. Birdman From Alcatraz:
A. Intro on the dock, Steam engine?, Santa Fe?
B. Ending scene: S-12 on same dock?

Did you ever see the weekly show, SUPERTRAIN? Pool, excersize room, playing pool... hot-tub, blah blah blah... Looked like it was about 15 foot wide or more... came out during the time "BIG BUS" came out.

You can't leave out the monstor movies...
7a. Godzilla, King or the Monsters... eats Tokyo trains...
b. King Kong... say g'bye to the EL... both versions B/W Empire State Building, and first colored version (Sears Tower?)(but the poster showed Kong straddled on both towers of the World Trade Center)

Note about Switchback... The Southern Railroad and Rio Grande Railroad's were the last two railroads to give their passenger trains over to Amtrak.
Fugitive: The locomotives were dashed with Napalm, the lead unit was a motor-less GP-30... A Real Dummy!
"Live And Let Die." The Black Villian is sitting on the pilot of the E-unit or F-unit at the end of the movie. "HA, ha ha ha ha!"

8. Terror Train

9. Top Secret... oh man... the plan to invade the castle, the guy draws a building in the dirt, makes x's where the forest is, points to the railroad that passes by (there is model railroad tracks, and suddenly a crossing gate dings and lowers and a model train goes by)

10. DUEL: Dennis Weaver is hounded by a psychopath trucker... and during his sleep dreams that the truck slams into his car, but is woken up by a Southern Pacific train going by.

11. Different Strokes... Arnold (Gary Coleman) buys a Lionel train that doesn't run well and derails. The man tried to rip him off because he's prejudice.

12. The Polar Express ... I never saw it nor read the book, but I noticed one thing: In the book, the locomotive is a 2-8-4 Berkshire and in the movie, it's a 4-8-2 Mountain.

13. Bridge Over The River Kwai (spelling?) Anyway, the vanity of one man who almost ruined his own country-man's mission because he didn't want anyone to destroy his railroad bridge he had built for his enemy capturers who made him a prisioner.
(Note: I saw on a documentary that this bridge never really existed... well, not this one, anyway.)

14. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=givcE3ymmgM

15. The Jerk... the child who hot-wires the live steam train and has a shirt that says (edited for sanity) "Bullshirt" on it.

16. I have seen quite a few commercials lately that portray a train in one way or another. In the 70's... the LEVI'S Train: sideways pairs of jeans going around a curve...

17. Dragnet: Tom Hanks, Dan Akroy... the railway scene about the stolen radio-active liquid, the engineer who was operating the train, in full overals, bandana, watch, steam locomotive whistle in the background... huh?

18. OH! I almost forgot... It isn't out yet, but the movie "Iron Horse" is about the Japanese... the locomotive is Kamloops own 2141 of the Kamloops Heritage Railway! http://www.kamloopsheritagerailway.com/

19. hey... "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" John Candy and Steve Martin... gotta love the devil scene... AND, make special note of the exhaust from the "ConTrack" train that breaks down. It was specially filmed Backwards! ConTrack... if Conrail and Amtrak merged! Fortunately, they didn't... although the trains may have ended up like the one in the movie.

20. Throw Mama From The Train

21. Biloxi Blues

22. Fried Green Tomatoes

23. Train Spotting... ah, not much about trains, though...

24. some other titles: http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=concourse;action=display;num=1125735755

25. ah, who can forget... "Thomas The Tank Engine"!!! er, Shining Time Station...

26. "The Casey Jones Hour" with Alan Hale (Skipper) and the other Casey Jones cartoon program in Canada...

27. am I still off my tracks?

28. Tough Guys

29. Alfred Hitchcock's "North By NorthWest"

30... kudoes on Back to the Future III where an ex-SP S-6 destroys the DeLorean... besides the "Spectacular steam locomotive wreck off the trestle..."

31. Bronco Billy... uh Clint Eastwood?

32... Something about a Circus Train... "Greatest Show..."? With Charlton Heston

33. Union Pacific... Barbara Stanwick

34. Buster Keaton's "The General"

35... I should quit, right?
[}:)]
Most I have seen in their entirety. Other's I have seen parts of.

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on June 21 2007 12:18:03 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - June 21 2007 :  09:57:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
quote:
Did you ever see the weekly show, SUPERTRAIN? Pool, excersize room, playing pool... hot-tub, blah blah blah... Looked like it was about 15 foot wide or more... came out during the time "BIG BUS" came out.

One of my other passions besides TYCO and HO-scale trains is old network TV from the '60s-'80s...

/tyco/forum/uploaded/Tony Cook/model_with_crew.jpg

See More "Supertrain" here on my site devoted to this show...
http://nbc_supertrain.tripod.com/

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - June 21 2007 :  12:11:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
TONY! Dude!

Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!

[}:)]

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on June 21 2007 12:19:10 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scmich
Little Six

Posted - June 25 2007 :  3:25:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scmich to Buddylist
The movie "Arthur" with Dudley Moore was just on. His bedroom is a huge train layout, with his headboard right at the controls. I thought it funny that I noticed it just after reading this post. Timing is everything.

scott
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 120  ~  Member Since: October 26 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - June 27 2007 :  12:09:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
YEAH! That train Was his alarm clock! I wish I had an alarm clock like that!

And Tony... I thought I'd never see SuperTrain again! My honors to you.

as Ralphie said... "...And all was right with the world."

Zz

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on June 27 2007 12:12:45 AM

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 27 2007 :  12:13:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I have a Lionel Alarm clock that has a miniature train that runs around/through a mountain.

Heh. I forgot how LOUD that thing was - the reason I never used it as other than a decoration. Maybe I NEED to use that thing as an alarm, lol.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 27 2007 :  12:16:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Harry Potter.[:o)] LOL. Quite a few scenes with the hogwarts express[:D].

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - June 27 2007 :  07:03:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Has anyone mentioned the ABC-TV movie from 1979 with William Shatner called "Disaster on the Coastliner"???

Had a nice zoo-gauge-sized Amtrak F40PH plow off the rails into a ditch for the film's climax. I have it on video somewhere and I'll try and find it and YouTube the wreck scene.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - June 27 2007 :  11:52:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
How about: Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995)
with Steven Seagal As Casey Ryback. The whole movie is on a passenger train, That at the end crashes head-on with a SP Freight on a Steel trestle. Great visual effects.

And "Tough Guys" 1986 with Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. At the End they Hijack the Newly Restored Southern Pacific "Daylighter" 84449 and wreck it on the US-Mexican Border. Funny Movie with a cast of great actors.

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on June 27 2007 12:11:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 27 2007 :  10:26:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
HOLY CRAP, HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THIS ONE

R.E.M., "Driver 8". A haunting song and a brilliant video.

(watch for all the GP7/9's in the Cumberland deadline, early 1980's...)

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 27 2007 10:32:48 PM

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - June 27 2007 :  10:49:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
...awesum! Beautiful footage! How did you forget?
I think you just wanted to save the Best for later, and here it is!
Just totally awesum!

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on July 05 2007 02:36:31 AM

NDW5332
Switcher

Notre Dame & Western

Posted - June 28 2007 :  08:40:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NDW5332 to Buddylist
Speaking of music videos - Mazzy Star - "Fade Into You" has some ATSF freight in the background.

I might be wrong about this, but in "A Bridge Too Far," I remember a scene with a small kid playing with his train going around the oval of track on the floor, then the Nazis come in to commandeer the house. Cut to close up of the boot knocking the train off the track as they walk in.

I also remember a season 2 episode of NCIS with a shootout in a rail yard...

stan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 29  ~  Member Since: May 01 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 22 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 29 2007 :  4:30:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
GREAT POSTS!!! I have enjoyed reading all of them. TV shows can be included also!! On a recent CSI Las Vegas-there was a "miniature killer" who sent models of his coming victims. During their investigation that tracked them to a home-there was an Ho scale model railroad and a trip to a Las Vegas Hobby shop in search of more clues on the killer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Steel Hauler
Switcher

Steel Hauler

Posted - June 29 2007 :  5:44:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Steel Hauler to Buddylist
"The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3" and unless I missed it, no mention of the "Sopranos" Bobby Bacala was a train enthusiast.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 38  ~  Member Since: November 19 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 29 2007 :  8:11:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote" HEIGHT="
HOLY CRAP, HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN THIS ONE

R.E.M., "Driver 8". A haunting song and a brilliant video.

(watch for all the GP7/9's in the Cumberland deadline, early 1980's...)

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - June 27 2007 :  10:26:48 PM

awesome video from the 80's era. REM had some great hits-i too had forgot about this one. Way to go GIC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - July 05 2007 :  02:38:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist

>>>
Hey, I thought I would add to this video from REM, did you know that there are two different versions of "Driver Eight"?

After the video is over, select one of the picture/panes that has a set of drivers on a steam engine... more/different railroad footage!
John

"I love your catenary!"

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - July 05 2007 :  11:04:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Very surprised these two weren't mentioned. I grew up on these.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (with Trolley, the transport to the Neighborhood of Make Believe) and Captain Kangaroo. Kellogg's would advertise their cereals rolling out as cargo.

I'll see what videos there might be.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - July 06 2007 :  03:38:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
... "Kellogg's would advertise their cereals rolling out as cargo..."

I'll see what videos there might be.

Originally posted by New York Central - July 06 2007 : 04:04:31 AM

Hey, that reminds me... My first electric train set was from an order form in 1976 from Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes. And Tony The Tiger was much more simpler, then... but, THEIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GREAT! er... oop's, I mean: THEY'RE GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

>>>>Late addition... The New TRANSFORMER movie has a smidgen of Southern Pacific boxcars.<<<<

Zz

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on July 11 2007 02:40:14 AM

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - July 14 2007 :  7:53:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Dukes of Hazard had a episode called Gost of Generel Lee with SP 4449.
Gomez Addams had a Lionel layout with exploding bridges.
Big Heap Herman episode of The Munsters had a Santa FE train.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

FreshFish
Switcher

Posted - July 21 2007 :  11:43:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add FreshFish to Buddylist
As far as songs, Arlo Guthries rendition of "City of New Orleans" paints a vivid picture.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 33  ~  Member Since: January 28 2007  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CPRailer
Switcher

Posted - July 28 2007 :  4:48:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CPRailer to Buddylist
I just saw The Train with Burt Lancaster for the first time yesterday.
That movie was great!! Fantastic derailing scenes. Looked like it was all 1:1 scale too. I bet that cost a bundle to make back in it's day.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 83  ~  Member Since: June 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - August 03 2007 :  1:52:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
We used to cover "Driver 8," "Radio Free Europe" and "White Tornado" in a small college pub band..>WAAAY back in '89-'90-'91.

Wow...the memories just FLOODED back.

I knew where Stipe and Buck's house was in Athens, too. I used to live in Atalnta, and we would stalk 'em...and The Indigo Girls (who are actually VERY nice and let you sit in their yard in Athens to hear 'em rehearse).

Good times.

Edited by - theoldreliable on August 03 2007 1:54:18 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - August 18 2007 :  7:22:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Yeh, I know this topic has fizzed out but The first "Garfield" movie has a Lionel looking layout in John's house shown at least partially 2x and shows some prototype Amtrak action that is cool. This has been on recently.
I posted this before, elsewhere, about the recent Chevy truck commercial with a Dualie pulling an odd mixed freight train with some homebuilt looking cars hauling trucks, "like a rock"..
I forget if someone mentioned the final scene in " The Fast and the Furious".Diehard II has a subway car that nearly runs down John McLain a.k.a. Bruce W.
Men in Black II subway scene and Spidermann II.
Little House on the Prarie has a runaway caboose episode

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - August 18 2007 :  11:49:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
uh, all is not over, YET!

go to "youTube" and punch in "Railrodder" Excellent older CN footage as Buster Keaton goes across Canada in a topless speeder. 7 minute, 7 minute, and 9 minute segments...
No voices, just beautiful sound and footage of CN and CP trains and scenery... (Mostly CN DaCheez!)
And, remember this: Colour, Buster Keaton, and comedy!
For you 'Mericans, it's filmed in CANADA, EH!

Older Transformer cartoons with "Astro-Train" Decepticon. I owned that toy version!

Oh Man!

No one thought of this masterpiece...

TRAILER PARK BOYS...
see it here>>> http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/108 <<<
C'MON PEOPLE!
Start the four-part episodes at:
Season 7 [Stage6]

6. We Can't Call People Without Wings Angels So We Call Them Friends
7. Jump the Cheeseburger
8. Let the Liquor do the Thinking
9. Going Off the Rails on the Swayze Express

Uh, I need to add this message:
With the 'Trailer Park Boys,' I caution any young people about the language in these videos. Please use disgretion

I may just rest my case.

John

"I love your catenary!"

Edited by - zebrails on August 19 2007 12:03:42 AM

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - August 19 2007 :  10:29:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
"A Christmas Story" This movie is a classic. TBS shows this every Christmas Eve through Christmas day for 24 hrs. Lionel trains in store window

"Enemy Of The State" Will Smith - Gene Hackman--awesome movie-- 1 = warehouse explodes as Conrail Freight passes by -- 2 = Gene Hackman and Will Smith Are running through Conrails yard to escape as trains are all around them.

"Italian Job" Another Awesome movie. close to the end of movie- thier mini coopers are driven onto an Amtrak auto loader car and they board the train for their celebration of stealing back their loot that was stolen from them. Also shows a scene of them in UP's LA yard.

SilverStreak
Switcher

Silver Streak

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:14:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SilverStreak to Buddylist
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this gem" HEIGHT="

This is by far my favorite music video. The cinematography worked perfectly with the music in the song.

Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Training & Consulting
Stockton, California
www.railroadtrainingservices.com
tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: August 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetycoguy
Switcher

tycoguy

Posted - April 18 2008 :  02:01:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetycoguy to Buddylist
IN the 1976 movie "silver streak" they use a lot of CP trains and AMRoad 4070 is a repaint of a real CP loco.

What to do with a balloon, a needle, and ketchup: get ketchup all over yourself, pop the balloon, then yell "i've been shot!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 61  ~  Member Since: February 14 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 07 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thetycoguy
Switcher

tycoguy

Posted - April 18 2008 :  02:05:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetycoguy to Buddylist
quote:
Has anyone mentioned the ABC-TV movie from 1979 with William Shatner called "Disaster on the Coastliner"???

Had a nice zoo-gauge-sized Amtrak F40PH plow off the rails into a ditch for the film's climax. I have it on video somewhere and I'll try and find it and YouTube the wreck scene.

Originally posted by Tony Cook - June 27 2007 : 12:03:52 PM

here is the vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k14Tgh_LZPY

What to do with a balloon, a needle, and ketchup: get ketchup all over yourself, pop the balloon, then yell "i've been shot!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 61  ~  Member Since: February 14 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 07 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - April 19 2009 :  5:42:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Here is a full episode from Alf season 1. There is a Lionel train layout that is shown several times through this opening episode. This was one of my favorite shows in the late 80's. When watching--look in lower left corner for train set and then again through out the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuRcxnzguUE

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - April 19 2009 :  6:56:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Foo that ALF video is not available in Canada. I used to watch ALF when they would show re-runs, but now that's gone as well. I remember how he used to collect dryer lint, because it was more valuable than gold to him!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 19 2009 :  10:10:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
damn I was gonna say Silver Streak

soundtrack of movie
well there is a 1930s version of Silver Streak except that one used CB&Qs Zeyphr There's Under Seige 2(?)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - April 20 2009 :  11:47:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
There were multiple movies that included steam trains where the Durango & Silverton was used. A couple that comes to mind - "Support Your Local Sheriff" - at the start, we see interior shots and at the end, we see the train from a distance.

Another one - Around the World in 80 Days has a scene where David Niven is on a train that goes into a tunnel - the D&S route doesn't have a tunnel, so one was "added".

For an added bonus - in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - when they leap from a cliff to escape the posse - that jump was also filmed on the D&S route - at the same place where the "tunnel" was constructed.

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 20 2009 :  12:44:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh forgot Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade that one used the C&TS line Money Train with Woody Harelson & Wesly Snipes filmed in LA with real subway cars from NYC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DJdeTrainman
Little Six

NJTransitAvatar

Posted - April 21 2009 :  9:50:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DJdeTrainman to Buddylist
Found in my enormous archives an article in CTT (Classic Toy Trains, because I hate to ask about acronyms) about the show with trains on the office floor, it was Chicago Hope ( there you go sbenny, you've been wondering almost two years!). They even had Lionel hudsons with their logo painted on the tender. One of them was used on the set and (supposedly) kicked 100 times, and, from the pictures, not a mark on it!!!
D.J. (Yeah, I'm "that kid"... Deal.)

http://railroadrandomness.blogspot.com/
Look; a new blog...

Yippee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 157  ~  Member Since: February 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 27 2009 :  09:26:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I watched Silver Streak again for the upteenth time STILL want to do a HO scale of the entire train I do recommend Silver Streak too its awesome lots of train scenes & good comedy & action also

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 10 2019 :  10:25:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Update this thread to include a very popular television series from 1963 to 1970.
Petticoat Junction had many scenes with the old time steam engine and one car.
Plus the cute dog and attractive women on that show. Cannot forget Uncle Joe.

Photos from the show.

Edited by - wks on February 10 2019 10:46:19 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 11 2019 :  2:59:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Update this thread to include a very popular television series from 1963 to 1970.
Petticoat Junction had many scenes with the old time steam engine and one car.
Plus the cute dog and attractive women on that show. Cannot forget Uncle Joe.

Photos from the show.

Originally posted by wks - February 10 2019 :  10:25:52 PM

Tyco did make that train in HO too
Have seen a pic with the cast members holding the models

The Lone Ranger movie had a HO train set in it & HO wasn't even invented in 1869!
anyone ever seen the map of where the Transcontinental Railroad went?
Man both CP & UP would be uber broke before they even got to Texas!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - June 26 2019 :  2:34:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

This is the thread showing trains in movies and television shows Ben.

The movie Saturday Night Fever has subway scenes at the beginning
of the movie. Near the end there are some scenes as well.
Start of John Travolta's long career.

Plenty on YouTube.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: My first encounter with Zinc Pest :( Topic Next Topic: made up railroads  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000