Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Do I win yet? ( He who dies with the most trains)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: PRR + NY Central = Happy Memories Topic Next Topic: Complete Tyco List?
Page: of 2

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 27 2011 :  6:22:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I don't know if I've won yet, but my wife is close to killing me with all the trains I have around the house. LOL! Here's a "few" pics of my collection, boxed, this is only the main floor and partial basement. I haven't even done the upstairs and under-attic storage areas, nor could I easily. That's a long-term project. Anyway, here's some eye-popping scenery, try not to be TOO critical of my lifestyle.

Above - Cabinet over my PC

Above - the rolling wire shelf next to my PC

Above - my dining room wall

Above - my dining room table, not used for food since 2001?

Above - bottom of basement stairs

Above - former kitchen in basement, now a storage area

above - table behind my work bench

above - my hobby area, just cleaned off AGAIN last week. Whew!

I'll post a Round Two later, my upstairs collection. Or partial, anyway, the parts that's viewable. Enjoy! I hope to clean out the basement more this spring, and move most of the train stuff down there. Whether it'll happen, who knows, but that's the plan.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 27 2011 :  7:33:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
becoming a horder aren't you? Time to get some square boxes & put stuff in them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - February 27 2011 :  8:21:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi AMC_Gremlin_GT,

Just send it all to me LOL! That should take some presure off you. As far as lifestyle goes, Too each his own I say. Enjoy life your way.
I better not let my Wife see the Cat chow car. Who made it? I have to get her one some day.
Is that an N scale auto rack to the left of the cat chow car?

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 27 2011 :  9:19:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well Here is where all my train stuff is

Under the stairs! Well minus what I got rid of since pic was taken Plus have added a box to pile since & more trains hehe Lionel caboose is sold

Edited by - microbusss on February 27 2011 9:20:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 27 2011 :  9:31:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Hi AMC_Gremlin_GT,

1- Just send it all to me LOL!

2 - I better not let my Wife see the Cat chow car. Who made it? I have to get her one some day.

3 - Is that an N scale auto rack to the left of the cat chow car?

Mike

Originally posted by mytyco - February 27 2011 :  8:21:40 PM

1 - The postage would KILL me. LOL.

2 - Bachmann made the Dog and Cat Chow boxcars. You can find them separate, or they also came in a Bachmann / Purina set. I bought both mine separate off Ebay (shhh! LOL )

3 - Yes, thats an AHM N gauge autoloader - I have about 9 more upstairs , most are Minitrix, but a few more are AHM. Been finding them over the years to build an N-gauge consist of them, pay about $8-12 apiece usually. I think I finally have enough.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 27 2011 :  10:53:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You don't have THAT much
Edited by - DaCheez on February 27 2011 11:39:28 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  06:02:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
You don't have THAT much

Originally posted by DaCheez - February 27 2011 :  10:53:12 PM

THAT'S what I keep telling the wife ( as the packages from online auctions keep coming in...)

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 28 2011 :  09:54:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
OMG, you're not alone. I've used the dining room frequently myself, heck it's right next to the front door. My wife and your wife should talk, misery loves company, it might tone them down.

I just purchased some very nice shelving and it's working wonders already. I found you can't go cheap on the shelving, that's what I did and it just doesn't work. Go big and heavy duty if you have the money, make the investment. Go 24" deep, you won't regret it and you'll find you need it.

I have to commend you on taking the leap and posting those pictures. I've had mine looking something like that at times but I don't think I would have shared that until now.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 28 2011 :  10:10:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah well least I sell or trade off the trains I do or don't want Yes have no layout & house is messy but not a horder But will admit I is a slob tho

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - February 28 2011 :  11:22:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Wow. Thanks to you I just gave my wife all the evidence necessary to tell her she can't ever complain about me. EVER.

I'll second the storage box idea: get yourself some cheap plastic stackable tubs and use those where "floor space" becomes ground zero. All my "model stock" for the STC is stashed under the layout, on the floor. The great thing about the plastic totes is that should the basement ever have a minor flood, the contents are protected (till a foot of standing water at least).

If you have decent shelving, office-paper crates are wonderful: I've found that Tyco boxes (individual cars) nest and stack in those just about perfectly, as if shipped from the factory that way - I can fit from 36 to 48 boxed cars in a crate depending on size. The house I bought already had some custom shelving from scrap 2x4s and planks that fit my Tyco collection (over a dozen crates) perfectly. The "industrial grade" shelving NYC recommended would be great and might even not cost much more than what new lumber would.

The wife bought a few cheapo ($40) Black-and-Decker shelving units from Walmart a couple years ago. They're not the strongest things on the market, but for as much stuff (size AND weight) we've crammed on them, they seem to work OK. But the shelves are not adjustable and certain totes can be an awkward fit though, so make sure to size carefully before you buy.

I would fully recommend organizing a collection like that. It's the best investment you can make... it is SO much easier to sort and find an item when you're looking for it, granting much more enjoyment with less time wasted endlessly searching, shuffling, sorting, and guessing, and trying to cram it all back someplace when you're done. Sometimes I still misplace things, but most of the time I can get right to exactly what I need - any time wasted "getting to it" is purely a result of having too much in the first place at that point.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Defunct RR
Switcher

NYSW

Posted - February 28 2011 :  11:58:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Defunct RR to Buddylist

I use these files on wheels under my layout. I can see what's in them and I can roll them out when needed also good for keeping the dust out.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: July 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  8:19:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

I use these files on wheels under my layout. I can see what's in them and I can roll them out when needed also good for keeping the dust out.
Originally posted by Defunct RR - February 28 2011 :  11:58:50 AM

Yes, but FIRST I have to find FLOOR SPACE, and that means clearing out NON-TRAIN items....I also just have more train stuff than boxes right now. Budget is too tight also, I'm dumpster-diving a business that is constantly building PCs ( Dell ), so I"m getting some of those flat Accessory boxes 3 inches high, but STILL not enough to house my entire collection(s) yet. Wish I could afford many of those clear drawer units, my wife actually uses those for her safety-pin-and-bead craft supplies. I just use flat cardboard boxes because so far they've all been FREE. Yes, I have some of those flat plastic cases, usually I like the Target variety with snap-locks on either end, for a positive lock ( I have two cats, one is a real bruiser of 17 pounds and a klutz - he'll climb on, over my stacks of trains. ) So I'm working on the organizing part, but since I live in a small Cape Cod house of 1700 sq ft, I'm limited in space anyway. Wish I could afford what some of my train club guys have around here - 4,000 sq ft homes with a layout. But, I just need to move some of my "stuff" to another area, namely a garage I own in my hometown 100 miles away, but I need to clear THAT out of junk, too, from me and my late Dad collecting, and I need a truck ro trailer...it just never ends. Sigh. Oh well, maybe this year will improve, my company will get us back to 40-hour pay weeks from 32, and maybe I can finally get ahead a bit of the bills. But I can live with the stacks. I hope to improve my home so that all the "stuff" is either upstairs or in the basement, and not cluttering up the main floor of the house. Hopefully THIS year...

Jerry

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - February 28 2011 :  8:21:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
My "heirs" are gonna have there hands full when I go...but I just "still love the thrill of the hunt"....this May will officially mark 30 years of collecting !!!

This stuff is all stored in my basement ....

boxed AHM

un boxed HO and Lionel postwar

Lionel Postwar on display...

under the layout...

MTH locomotive storage and freight cars...

HO storage racks...

HO sets....

boxed loose items

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  8:41:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Wow. Thanks to you I just gave my wife all the evidence necessary to tell her she can't ever complain about me. EVER.

yeah, I've been a great inspiration to other guys who bring over their SO when they have complained about an "extra" car around the driveway ( I have 8 cars in mine, and 2 more in the garage, 6 Gremlins total at my house,) which REALLY shuts them up when they see what I have at my place. They never complain again. - Jerry -

quote:

I would fully recommend organizing a collection like that. .. it is SO much easier to sort and find an item when you're looking for it, - any time wasted "getting to it" is purely a result of having too much in the first place at that point.
Originally posted by spiderj76 - February 28 2011 :  11:22:05 AM

Well the difference between hoarding and collecting CAN be a fine line. Most over-the-top hoarders hold onto trash, too, I don't. While I DO collect a lot of stuff ( I dumpster-dived for more PC accessory boxes today after work, and found one of those trailer hitch 3rd wheels, which I can use on my wife's trailer, or my pop-up camper for that matter ), I don't consider myself a Hoarder. I try to use what I find, or plan on it, if I don't, then I usually get rid of it later. Not sooner, though! Takes me awhile to use stuff. Is my life cluttered up? You bet! Do I care? No. I DO intend to sort out and prioritize stuff so I can have a less-cluttered lifestyle this year. Even I'm getting tired of tripping over stuff. My train collection IS getting organized, as I can find appropriate containers. If I had plenty of money, it'd all be done. I can't do it that way. 32-hour workweeks killed my income last year, I had to borrow retirement funds just to pay bills before Xmas. Sucks. So I have to take the slow route to organization, getting freebie storage where I can. Yeah, I could buy boxes like this, at $2 apiece, but I'd rather recycle and get my stuff free where I can. At least the wife hasn't complained TOO loudly, yet, although she said she wants bigger pathways through the house this year. It's closing in. I'm workin' on it, dear....

Jerry

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  9:14:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
.this May will officially mark 30 years of collecting !!!

This stuff is all stored in my basement ....

Lionel Postwar on display...HO storage racks...HO sets....

Originally posted by taycotrains - February 28 2011 :  8:21:55 PM

All I can say is...O....M.....G !!!!!!!! That is SUCH a beautiful display! I can only dream of such a day when I can have something like that. de-cluttering my basement will be worth it if I can do THAT to it! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow....

Jerry

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  9:23:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Round Two pics, my HO collection UPSTAIRS.

Above - the stop of my stairs, trains on an old antique dresser I intend to get rid of

Above - My hallway closet with trains stacked up top.

Above - my "layout", a 4x4 over my stairwell to the master suite in the cape cod attic.

Above - my N gauge corkboard railway taking shape. Behind is my under-attic storage, with many HO and LIonel 0-27 trains stored there.

Above - some trains and diecast and hobby stuff on top of my dressor

Above - my N gauge auto racks and flats, some Atlas, some Minitrix, some AHM. And a lone Bachmann.

So, other than the under-attic storage and another part of the basement, this is the majority of my trains. Hope to get them all in the basement big room eventually. After looking at Tayco's set-up, wow, what I wouldn't give for THAT to happen at my house! A retirement dream, maybe. I'll work on it. Thanks for the inspiration, guy.

Jerry

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - February 28 2011 :  10:27:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
I figured I'd show my collection storage, workshop, layout, and lounge areas.

I don't mean this as an attempt to show off or up, or say mine is the right way. But hopefully there's a few insights some of you can use. If not, share your own!

1) The famous (ha) Saint Canard Midland Railway in the new (2008+) basement. One reason I don't stage as many photos as before is, try as I may, I just cannot get the lighting right. It's much improved from when I moved in - the false ceiling and track lighting helps - but far from ideal, or even workable on some days. Plus I have too many other improvements to make, like relocating the washer / dryer service, etc before I can really finish the space off. The white sheet is a lint barrier to keep dryer-spew off the layout. For now, it's about making do. The old microwave cart is used for rotating active stock off the layout as whim and necessity strike. My roster of custom-painted STC equipment is stored there for now as well.

2) The STC's East Frankfort Shops ;) All modeling is done in this space, save painting and heavy persuasion (like on the Gilbert F-unit) which is done in the household garage/shop.

The workbench, baker's rack, green toolbox, and even the Hi-Fi are all freebie dumpster dives. (The Hi-Fi is a 1956 Zenith I repaired, recapped, and restored last December - it ROCKS!). The baker's rack holds paints, decals, and other decorating tools. The workbench drawers hold my stash of Tyco parts, modeling tools, and other bits. The corkboard is useful for detail packages and reference photos; the lazy suzan is another "freebie" that holds works in progress, etc. Right now the bench is messy as I sort and evaluate a bulk pack of unpainted Model Power figures for my "Zombie Module".

3) The main layout-stock stash under the STC: approximately 400+ freight cars, 100+ locos, and a ton of HO scale vehicles and random scenic implements. The assortment of plastic totes probably cost about $75 in total - which, as the price of a locomotive or a few secondhand purchases, is a no-brainer. Keeps things dry and must-free, and easily visible too!

Yes, this is a ridiculous amount of rolling stock for a 4x8, but ALL of it has been on the layout at one point or another... and YOU try growing up in the largest freight yard in Chicago without "wanting everything you see"... I think I've done OK. My rule is my whole "layout" collection has to fit under the layout (even the stuff staged elsewhere could, but lucky convenience allows me to indulge a bit on that space). I consider the Tyco (and "collectible" RTR) stash a separate entity, and one that should never get bigger than this.

4) This wall is in kind of an odd place, so the small table serves as a staging area for new acquisitions and soon-to-be projects (as well as some completed ones). The B&O sign is an authentic 3x3 foot B&O Trailer Service logo placard I made, after I donated the actual (original) one to the B&O Museum in Baltimore. They made it worth my while ;) My repro is a plate of stainless with a vinyl printout applied.

As for my room through the door there, more on that later.

5) The "collectible trains" and "hobby supply shop" are located nearby. The wood shelving was extant when we bought the house, and is an uncannily perfect fit for everything! The large cardboard boxes on the left hold layout supplies: track, foam, scenery materials, structures (built and unbuilt), etc. The shelving is not exclusively for trains - the left column behind the supply stack is household goods, the row of plastic totes is holiday decor, the bottom left houses the sole remnants of my Nascar collection.

6) Shelving closeup. Those paper crates are AWESOME - they fit individual boxed RTR cars perfectly. Elevate 'em off the floor, re-use some silica packets to keep any ambient moisture at bay, and you're good to go.

I keep an assortment of ziploc bags and labels handy to assist with storage and sorting.

Cars are grouped by type, not by year. I'm often comparing production and variation evolution across catalogs and eras, so this makes the most sense for me.

7) Example of "long" (50', 62') RTR cars stored in paper crates. You can stack them 6 deep this way... note the paper crate is just a tad too wide, but this small space at the end is perfect for placing your fingers in to lift boxes out (or peer at labels). As I said: you can't do any better than these boxes, and they're FREE!

8) And the short (40' or less) ones. Turn them vertically and labels are easy to read, and you still have space at the top for unboxed (and boxed) samples.

The long loco boxes (C630, etc) will also fit lengthwise in these crates...

9) Of course I have some overflow... the Tyco collection is too big to fit in my allotted shelf space. Boxes labeled and stacked neatly, with contents grouped, make things super easy to find. I use spare lids on the bottom of loco crates due to their weight.

10) And some more miscellaneous overflow. The small plastic totes in the narrow shelf house my N-scale collection for club use. The large tub on the floor is another "project stock" box. Other stuff includes things set aside for sale/trade/ebay, general paint and craft supplies, and a small stash of autoracks and such to build.

11) The display in my office/den. Selected finished models, favorite collectible pieces, and some photos and awards. Gaps are actually on the layout... as I said, I do try to use everything I own.

See the neon reflection...?

12) "You can take the boy out of the city..." and he'll spend silly money on a nice neon reminder of his hometown. The trains in the case next to it are mostly Chicago-themed.

My better, honest half is visible outside the door, watching movies on hep laptop. The couch faces the STC layout: turn down the lights save the GIC-Tyco clock, get a train rolling, turn on the Hi-Fi, pour a beverage, and it's a pretty swanky little lounge area ;)

13) And the portal by which my rambling inanity spews forth to punish the internet at large. Sorry...

Edited by - spiderj76 on March 01 2011 12:57:21 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2798  ~  Member Since: September 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: July 22 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ptgolf
Little Six

Posted - February 28 2011 :  10:27:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ptgolf to Buddylist
Do you guys insure your collections?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 113  ~  Member Since: March 13 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 30 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 28 2011 :  10:51:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by ptgolf - February 28 2011 :  10:27:42 PM

Um...doesn't that require $ ? sadly, no, I don't insure mine. Much like all my vehicles outside, which I keep only Liability on, I don't spend money on Insurance, because I don't have the extra, nor do I trust insurance companies that much. If my stuff goes up in flames, then it's gone. Besides, I'd have to DOCUMENT them all, and being cluttered, I haven't gotten to it yet, either. The amount of time and energy ( and SPACE, which I'm entirely TOO short on these days ) prevents a wholesale photo documentation. I can do it piecemeal, like as I buy stuff off Eba...er, I mean online auctions, and post stuff here, too....but it will be a long time before I have the time, energy, space, AND dollars to do any majority of my collection. Life is a risk, and insurance is so often such a sham, I just don't see enriching some suits in an office for a false sense of security. maybe that's the wrong attitude, but so often I've heard friends buy extra insurance packages on items, only to have some little detail prevent their collecting. I'm both a cynic and a realist, so I just don't give over my hard-earned cash for stuff like that. Some day, when I make more money ( Ha! ), get another, better job, or inherit or win the lottery, I may do it. But for now, I just take my chances. I think my Homeowners insurance covers personal items, it paid for my guns when my teenage stepson's friends broke into my house and stole cash and found my safe keys after two days of staying in my home, when I was away getting married. I got reimbursed, so I think trains might also fall under that, if a fire happened. I'll have to ask my insurance agent. But paying extra, ain't happening anytime soon with my economic status.

Jerry

taycotrains
Big Six

TAYCOTRAINS

Posted - February 28 2011 :  10:51:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add taycotrains to Buddylist
quote:

Yes ...I do.....just the postwar Lionel stuff....cost me about $360.00 per year.
also have a cellular alarm system and two "nasty" labradoodles.

Hey Tony !....Nice set up !
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 385  ~  Member Since: August 08 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 10 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 01 2011 :  07:07:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
awesome hot sauce Tony Love the signs too & did you make up the Tide car?
Plus I likes the old radio next to your workspace

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - March 01 2011 :  12:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Re: Insurance... I don't have a separate policy, but I've sometimes thought about it. I'm really torn on the subject. For one, I really don't like having so much "stuff" as excessive consumerism too me is not really a virtue. I gave away a HUGE Nascar collection because I couldn't justify it. In the end, Model Railroading is a multifaceted craft of socializing, historic preservation, science, tech, and art... so I can live with this exception. But I'm almost at my limit. If I insured the lot, it would seem like I'm telling myself I value "things" more than the more important stuff (shelter, health, etc). Plus, when you get down to it, the most precious things in my collection are the ones I made myself or were made by others - and those are irreplacable. Everything else could be found again. Until recently I did not have anything that others might covet as "rare" or "worth preserving", so maybe I would revisit it for those items.

The photos above represent a lifetime of collecting, begun when I was 6 years old - almost 30 years on now. If I lost it all tomorrow I would be devastated in the short term, but in the long run I could get most of it again, maybe. Life would go on. I'd still need to rebuild a new improved STC, and repaint all those custom jobs and that's the part that would be the hardest - you can't insure those for any price. So I don't.

I do have a pretty nice inventory of all of it, and photos of all the Tyco, so claims would be simplified if it came to that.

Does anyone have experience with the insurance offered through the NMRA?

~~~~

MB: Yep, I made the Tide car in 2007. Made a couple others for some lucky people. Haven't made another since my new printer proved itself incapable of the quality I demanded.

The HiFi is AWESOME... I'm working on a post for my site detailing how I fixed it. Love that warm tube-based sound, and the volume is simply wall-crushing.

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 01 2011 :  1:37:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi guys your collections are awesome,one jealous guy here,ken

PLUS my british collection of mainly hornby dublo which i have donated to kids ken

Edited by - catfordken on July 11 2012 1:44:43 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pierce
Big Six

Posted - March 01 2011 :  5:14:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pierce to Buddylist
Well here is my collection... Split between my bedroom closets and a spare bedroom, once I build my own house I will have a real room dedicated to trains. Right now I live with my brother and we split the costs. Most of the O gauge and G scale was inherited but about 75% of the Ho I aquired. I do have a problem :(

Spare closet with G Scale

Entrance view to Train room.

Edited by - Pierce on March 01 2011 5:16:58 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 204  ~  Member Since: August 19 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 21 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

theoldreliable
Big Six

LNAvatar2

Posted - March 05 2011 :  5:57:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add theoldreliable to Buddylist
Nice Man-Caves, gentlemen.

Tony, the basement is top-shelf.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 316  ~  Member Since: June 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: September 02 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 19 2011 :  02:25:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
I was waiting for my B&O switcher project to clear the bench so I could finally get a clear shot of it haha.

I try to avoid WallyMart. But the desk was on sale for $29 and I had a $25 gift card so for the $4 I spent on it I can't complain. The black & grey sorting container I bought also on sale at Auld's. Works out nice the bigger compartments can hold entire projects together. And I just pull them out when I need them. Its really hard to see but the thing holding all my tools I made out of some 2x4 that I put a bunch of holes in with my drill press and stained. A massive upgrade since my tools had no single place to be easily accessible before then. The track you see is actually glued down to the bench. I move the transformer on and off the bench as needed. Its nice just to have a fixed track in front of you most the time to push something around on. Soldering Iron is going to get its own mount off the side of the bench so when its on its not trying to burn the house down. The long black thing against the wall is just some foam to make it easier for working on models. Rest of the time a old cutting board from when I moved into the house works just fine. 2nd shelf down holds about 90% of my painting stuff. And bottom shelf is just random storage. Trust me its not all that clean. If you could zoom out you'd see more crap laying around. Like the beer fleet lol.

Alot of my stuff lives over on the rental layout so that saves SOME space at home of course. However when the new layout was built I knew it would be coming back someday so I took that into account. First shot is the front side where I've been keeping some of the building materials. Followed by any accessories or buildings waiting for the layout to get done.

Then there is the back side...

Back half holds mostly old rolling stock. Top shelf is where alot of the stuff I've bought at shows has been going (with alot of the beer fleet cars gone it looks empty). Middle shelf is the old collection I inherited from my family. Bottom shelf is the collection of stuff that came from my close friend cleaning out his basement.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 22 2011 :  6:17:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Now I know why it to so long for you to find the Switcher AMCGremlinGT! My room is a mess. But not as messy. My Shed is TERRIBLE!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 22 2011 :  8:07:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
I think I might be in the running! Being that I am only 41, and still buying, I have some more room yet to grow.

Here is what I have laying around, on display, or in storage:

Below: The two rows bins & boxes in the far back just behind the first row of clear bins are all trains. Therefore there are nearly three rows of bins stacked with two of them stacked almost all the way (~9.5 feet) to the 10' ceiling.

This is one of the engines in this storage locker:

These next two are what is in my Garage:

This is in my laundry room:

This is in my basement family room, kinda just scattered around since we have been doing our addition:

Since my wife now has all of our approx 5000 CD's burned onto a portable hard drive, I have been boxing them up and slowly taking over the display shelves:

This is what I have on display at work:

My layout is laying on it's side, in two pieces behind me here in the basement. Not sure what to do with it during the re-construction. This picture is from when I purchased it, so it is not actually my basement in the photo:

Believe me, my wife is always on my case about my trains. Can't say I blame her though.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 22 2011 :  9:25:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I all I have too say is WOW!!! Pierce, thats the bigges hoard of Bluebox Athearn I have ever seen!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 22 2011 :  9:42:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Heres my collection:

I have my Marx 0-27 in one of the boxes, 2 are filled with model train/railroad related magazines/books, 2 boxes of N/HO buildings/accessories, and one box is misc. trains. The one picture with of the locos on top of a brown drawer, holds 52 draws full of HO train parts ! I have my N and HO engines/cars unboxed.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 22 2011 :  10:00:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
WOWZERS! I thought my collection was getting too big... suddenly I don't feel so bad. Even so, I need to pare things down a bit. It's too easy to keep acquiring stuff.

Sean, is this in your CD collection? Tell your wife I think it's your theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 22 2011 :  10:02:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Well thank goodness and at least I know I am not alone!
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 22 2011 :  10:21:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

That is so funny Nelson! In fact, Sisters of Mercy was one of my favorite bands in the early 1990's!! I really liked that song too, but this was my favorite of course:

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - October 22 2011 :  10:09:01 PM

Hey now, hey now, now... That's awesome! Floodland is one of the most epic albums ever! I don't know how many times I've listened to This Corrosion over the years. I don't know why it's not displaying in your post, though, at least not for me.

A long train held up by page on page
A hard reign held up by rage
Once a railroad, now it's done

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on October 22 2011 10:22:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - October 22 2011 :  10:25:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
[quote]Sean, is this in your CD collection? Tell your wife I think it's your theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuW3NvjqJY

That is so funny Nelson! In fact, Sisters of Mercy was one of my favorite bands in the early 1990's!! I really liked that song too, but this was my favorite of course:

http://youtu.be/obzPPeHgHRQ

Sean

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 23 2011 :  07:42:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
My train room (my bedroom) is mostly clothes on the floor, but their is trains hidden everywhere! My layout is over my train parts storage and under my bed is a layout Weve been working on a shed to put our junk in. We are going to finish it, and make it look nice! Maybe by chrismas well get somwhere.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - July 11 2012 :  1:28:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
WOW!! Don’t get me wrong, I love trains just like the next guy, but no way could I even think about piling them up around the house, my wife would freak out!! I showed her this thread and it was funny to see the expression on her face as she scrolled down. She kept looking at me as if to say “I wish you would” Or “Don’t even think about it”! Defunct RR, I’m taking your idea for the tubs on wheels, I love how you have yours organized, nice and neat. You other guys, WHEW!!

My trains are packed nicely in what we call the hobbit hole (2 closent built into the walls), plus I have a few out on the desk. I turned my pool table / Martini room into my train room (anyone want a pool table). My neighbor and I are building some huge glass front cabinets to hang on the walls for all my TYCO trains. Glass is a must because I loathe the dust that builds up on trains otherwise.

My love is mainly for TYCO trains, but I do have a few Bachmann and AHM pieces along with various GG-1’s and SD24’s of different makers (I love those GG-1’s and SD24). I would love to start collecting GG-1’s and SD24 of different scales, but it's hard for me to get over how HUGE O scale is, plus not sure how they will look on my wall with the my TYCO's.

Thanks for sharing guys, there are some nice collections here!! Oh, I’m looking at my wife in the bedroom and she is still shaking her head in shock (LOL)..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  1:53:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
glad to say I am in process of a major tidy up,as this room is going to be decorated as my chill room ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 11 2012 :  4:33:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
glad to say I am in process of a major tidy up,as this room is going to be decorated as my chill room ken

Looking good Ken!

Wish I could say the same!

Been to busy working on my home addition to get much cleaning done anywhere else.

Sean

Sean

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  4:40:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
cheers Sean,got a great deal on flat pack boxes,2 large locos,6 small locos,4 passenger cars or 8 freight cars per box,lots more to do yet,but getting there ken

SCVR66
Big Boy

SCVR #2

Posted - July 11 2012 :  6:14:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SCVR66 to Buddylist
Holy S**T!!!
I buy, repair, and collect
http://scvr.weebly.com/
http://seyboldlocomotiveworks.weebly.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeputation?feature=watch
Hyde.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1352  ~  Member Since: January 15 2012  ~  Last Visit: July 25 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  6:40:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I cringe every time an eBay purchase is sent by UPS instead of USPS. USPS delivers before my wife gets home, whilst UPS delivers after she's here. It means I have some splainin' to do.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  8:58:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Ken , what do you put between the cars or engines to protect them?

quote:
cheers Sean,got a great deal on flat pack boxes,2 large locos,6 small locos,4 passenger cars or 8 freight cars per box,lots more to do yet,but getting there ken

Originally posted by catfordken - July 11 2012 :  4:40:33 PM

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - July 11 2012 :  10:33:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
Whoa... talk about eerie. This thread had been dead for how long??? Now that it's been resurrected, I just noticed something in Pierce's picture with freaky timing:

Pierce, does that Westinghouse Mobilaire fan work? If so how do you like it?

Reason I ask is, a couple weeks ago a co-worker mentioned he had "some old fan from the 50's" in bad shape, and he wondered if it could be fixed. When he brought it in I fell in love with the turbinesque design... and was aghast at the condition. It had been repainted - right over *everything* including the grilles, badge, and the dust, including inside the motor vents and onto the coil(!!!!), and was a gummy, runny, mess. The rear grille gasket was sticky and awful. Switch was broken. The cord had been replaced and even that crumbled away such that it would shock you on sight. And there was a good 3/4" of slop in the motor shaft.

But I told him I could fix it.... so over the past weekend, I did:

Now that it works... HOLY CRAP is that thing *freaking awesome*. QUIET and moves a lot of air without being obtrusive or disruptive. Seriously... I never knew anyone ever made fans that work this well.

Turns out it's one of the original ones from 1948... some revisions were quickly made with more ongoing in the next decade. And the nasty gray wasn't too far from its original color, but I decided to go with something of a little more 50's Swank :)

sorry for the threadjack... I just thought it too funny that after doing this, this thread zombied itself and POW there was another of those fans...! I now return ya'll to your regularly scheduled Hoarders Anonymous session. ("I'm not only the president... I'm also a client" )

Edited by - spiderj76 on July 11 2012 10:36:41 PM

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - July 11 2012 :  10:51:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

I always love seeing restoration photos with big hammers and/or mallets in them
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 11 2012 :  11:30:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
That's one heck of a fan, Tony. It almost looks like a Hollywood wind machine. Your restoration job is amazing.

I was given one of these small Westinghouse desktop fans that I had to give the once-over. (These pictures are from an auction.)

Nothing nearly as radical as what you did, just cleaning and re-lubing the bearings with Teflon oil. It's a very basic fan, but it runs smoothly now and I really like the retro look of the teardrop motor housing.

We may have to start a thread for these. Maybe "The Fan Club?"

The Tyco Depot

EM-1
Big Boy

B&O EM-1 7614

Posted - July 12 2012 :  05:16:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see EM-1's MSN Messenger address  Send EM-1 a Yahoo! Message  Add EM-1 to Buddylist
quote:
Whoa... talk about eerie. This thread had been dead for how long??? Now that it's been resurrected, I just noticed something in Pierce's picture with freaky timing:

Pierce, does that Westinghouse Mobilaire fan work? If so how do you like it?

Reason I ask is, a couple weeks ago a co-worker mentioned he had "some old fan from the 50's" in bad shape, and he wondered if it could be fixed. When he brought it in I fell in love with the turbinesque design... and was aghast at the condition. It had been repainted - right over *everything* including the grilles, badge, and the dust, including inside the motor vents and onto the coil(!!!!), and was a gummy, runny, mess. The rear grille gasket was sticky and awful. Switch was broken. The cord had been replaced and even that crumbled away such that it would shock you on sight. And there was a good 3/4" of slop in the motor shaft.

Now that it works... HOLY CRAP is that thing *freaking awesome*. QUIET and moves a lot of air without being obtrusive or disruptive. Seriously... I never knew anyone ever made fans that work this well.

Turns out it's one of the original ones from 1948... some revisions were quickly made with more ongoing in the next decade. And the nasty gray wasn't too far from its original color, but I decided to go with something of a little more 50's Swank :)

sorry for the threadjack... I just thought it too funny that after doing this, this thread zombied itself and POW there was another of those fans...! I now return ya'll to your regularly scheduled Hoarders Anonymous session. ("I'm not only the president... I'm also a client" )

Originally posted by spiderj76 - July 11 2012 :  10:33:28 PM

Tony, This IS ERIE! I once had a fan EXACTLY like that in what was pretty much BRAND NEW SHAPE! Sadly, was a GREAT wind tunnel fan in high it almost blow you off your feet! When I lived in Pennsylvania back in the early 2000's I got it from my grandmother and she had it from the time it was new.....Identical to the one you pictured. What a fan in hot weather it blew cold air!

Sadly, I lost it due to a house fire 2 years ago........ I'd love to have it back for my shop, again!

As for the pictures alot of you guys seen my shop (yes it still a mess!) However what you didn't see, is my stock room! I can't get into it right now as the door way is blocked with some boxes of O scale trains I'm repairing for a local guy........literally packed right to the ceiling with bins of trains! In a somewhat organized mess......(I know where everything is!) LOL

~John

Many have tried to, and failed, ya just can't repair stupid...

Do NOT try to Idiot-Proof anything!!!! God, will simply create a better......IDIOT!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2911  ~  Member Since: March 26 2012  ~  Last Visit: January 14 2014 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - July 12 2012 :  05:27:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
The Hoarder
The Packrat

There is a difference.

The Packrat Collector "sees, buys, stores... for a later day, purpose, or sale."
This is done with a sound mind.

The Hoarder "sees, buys, keeps, collects more the same, keeps, sees more, keeps..."
Having 100 identical objects means that another 100 is only better.
This is a psychological burden. A mental conditional that isn't stable.
Partly related to O.C.D. But the physical aspects are not categorized.
"More available means more needed."

I collect, I have a passion that is understandable. True, I cannot eat my trains, but purchasing them, unboxing, build and/or quickly placed on the rails and see it roll gives me the satisfaction that I met a goal. Feeling silly but content, my model trains have been a therapy for the days when I wish I had certain company enjoying my hobby with support and equally sound mind with a sense of humor...

"Yes, I do have a plan for that ____________."
RIght now it needs to sit and age (like fine wine)... eventually the purpose and/or person will validate you ever having purchased or owned it in the first place.

MY layout occupies 1/3 of my main living space. The stored rollingstock is in stackable flats from COSTCO. COSTCO more than welcomes people coming and taking the sturdy stackable flats, whether or not you've purchased anything!

The flats enable me to put in two layers of stock nicely, they are about 3 inches deep. The flats can be stacked neatly because there are four tabs that stick up into slots of the flat above it. The flats are stacked up to 9 high beneath my main table. They are labled/sorted, mostly according to road. There are no post 1980's, "build-date" pieces with a few exceptions.

My "pre-1900's" pieces are in a flat all their own. My CN and CP are in larger/deeper flats, but still only two layers deep, because they are two roadnamed collections I have the greater number of pieces.
It takes a wee bit of effort to pull out the stacks from my carpeted floor, but I also have the flat-stack bottoms sliding on flattened cereal boxes... shiny surfaces slide well on carpet.

When you feel good about your collection/hobby... that's the right thing to do. You have a properly functioning conscious.

If you don't feel good, none of everyone's input would make any sense to you.
Medical help should be obtained.

The one who dies with the most trains ... is buried or cremated.
Nothing more.

John

"The one who dies..." brings to mind a story about a woman who's been a widow, husband and following brothers marries and each man dies. In heaven, which man is husband to the woman?
The answer is: The marriage/partnership is no longer a valid relationship, no longer a factor.
In my mind, I have a (silly) hope that my passion of running trains, real or model, will continue when I get to heaven.
Well, I also wish I could own a zebra.

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on July 12 2012 05:50:56 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - July 12 2012 :  09:30:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Holy S**T!!!

Dude?

quote:
I cringe every time an eBay purchase is sent by UPS instead of USPS. USPS delivers before my wife gets home, whilst UPS delivers after she's here. It means I have some splainin' to do.

-Thomas

[size=4I have been getting mine shipped to work for a while now. She caught me doing this in the past , but now I rip the labels off the boxes, if I even bring them home at all.

@ Tony! Nice job on that fan! [/size=4]

quote:
The Hoarder
The Packrat

There is a difference.

The Packrat Collector "sees, buys, stores... for a later day, purpose, or sale."
This is done with a sound mind.....

John

Nice answer... I might borrow that answer and send it to my wife. You see, with respect to certain trains, I might be a hoarder. Yes, I might have ~5-6 post wat Mantua Pacifics, ~14 or more Bowser Challengers and ~ 80 or more Varney lil Joes, but I DO NOT collect random items like toilet paper rolls, empty pizza boxes and other misc garbage the way true hoarders do.

My collections consist of specific items, such as

2- full size 1960's Mustangs

500+ Matchbox & Hotwheels Mustangs (with an occasional Johny Lightning) (never really counted them)

As many rare and interesting different (and not so different) HO scale trains as i can get at a price I can afford... I have 3 O scale pieces (WM Brass scratchbuilt challenger, a brass trolley and a Walthers Doodlebug) and that is it. I do not plan to ever move or collect any other scale.

...and...

Various tools of all kinds, both auto & construction. I buy instead of rent, if I can.

She tells me all the time , I need my own place just to store my (to quote Hyde)
quote:
S**T!!!

so she does not have to see it all the time!

Sean

spiderj76
Big Boy

Posted - July 12 2012 :  10:24:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add spiderj76 to Buddylist
quote:
[b]The Hoarder
The Packrat

There is a difference.
Originally posted by zebrails - July 12 2012 :  05:27:50 AM

True... and let me be clear I was not trying to offend... my "president/client" quote was meant to include myself into the persuasion of the thread. Though I will say sometimes the line that separates the two is awfully fuzzy. For myself, my collection hasn't changed much in the last 18 months. I've bought and sold stuff to keep it generally constant.

@Nelson: Wow, that's sharp - not only is the teardrop motor pretty nifty, but I absolutely love that translucent cobalt blade! And the cage is elegant too. And people think Apple invented industrial design....

As for a fan club, oddly enough when I was researching the one I restored, I found several antique fan collector sites... god bless the internet

EM-1: I'll bet it worked great! When you consider it was designed before residential A/C was commonplace, it makes sense. Totally different and more effective than the typical oscillator / box crap I've grown up with. I'm totally sold on one... so is the wife. Unfortunately they seem to command a chunk of change (again, especially compared to modern crap). Shoulda said I couldn't fix it and tried to buy it anyway *evil* I want to find a floor model with the turbine-vane intake shroud - it completes the "why yes, I yoinked this thing off a plane" look ;)

Redwoods:

Sean: Thanks...!

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - July 12 2012 :  6:36:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:

@Nelson: Wow, that's sharp - not only is the teardrop motor pretty nifty, but I absolutely love that translucent cobalt blade! And the cage is elegant too. And people think Apple invented industrial design....

So true... Westinghouse should have sued Steve Jobs for ripping off their iFan . I too tire of Apple worship.

I love the blue blade look, also. One blade on mine had a crack near its base, so I carefully applied some thin Zap to the edge of the split and let the capillary action fill the length of it. It set up nice and strong, without any smearing or white staining and fortunately isn't that noticeable.

That behemoth of yours reminds me of an industrial model the firemen used to blow the smoke from a stove top fire out of a nearby apartment.

quote:

As for a fan club, oddly enough when I was researching the one I restored, I found several antique fan collector sites... god bless the internet

Originally posted by spiderj76 - July 12 2012 :  10:24:07 AM

It doesn't surprise me at all. As this thread attests, there are collectors for everything. Shows like American Pickers have helped a lot of us recognize the retro cool of so many formerly mundane items.

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on July 12 2012 6:37:20 PM

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - July 13 2012 :  05:00:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
The Hoarder
The Packrat

There is a difference.

Originally posted by zebrails - July 12 2012 :  05:27:50 AM

True... and let me be clear I was not trying to offend... my "president/client" quote was meant to include myself into the persuasion of the thread. Though I will say sometimes the line that separates the two is awfully fuzzy. For myself, my collection hasn't changed much in the last 18 months. I've bought and sold stuff to keep it generally constant.

Originally posted by spiderj76 - July 12 2012 :  10:24:07 AM

Hey Spiderj76, never an offense taken.

An essential difference between the two, I'd like to describe it this way:
A nervous laugh usually comes from a hoarder.

Rolling eyes, chuckling, , more eye-rolling , deep and inside chuckling that gives you a belly ache an hour later... Packrat.

quote:
Mustangs_n_Trains: Nice answer... I might borrow that answer and send it to my wife. You see, with respect to certain trains, I might be a hoarder. Yes, I might have ~5-6 post war Mantua Pacifics, ~14 or more Bowser Challengers and ~ 80 or more Varney lil Joes, but I DO NOT collect random items like toilet paper rolls, empty pizza boxes and other misc garbage the way true hoarders do. ...

You are not a Hoarder! You have plans for these in the future. You are conscious of ownership and basic reasoning.
Hoarders think in a close-quarter realm. Nothing will happen to what they collect. There is no selfishness or contentment in a hoarder.
14 Bowser Challengers... 80 or more Varney lil Joes... I might shake my head a wee bit. But this is a case of
quote:
mytyco "to each his own..."
and we can share with whole-hearted acceptance that collecting is fun. That quote was from February 27, 2011, incase someone was wondering where/when this thread started.

A hoarder cannot "feel-good" with such flexibility.
We (pack-rat collectors) can believe that: "What we own has a value price" should ever the price be what we really want for the items in our collection.
Hoarders will defy you for ever considering trading, selling, or carting away their item(s).
The hoarder will not consider parting with their items.

Okay, we can stop this thread any time... Or Not!

Zebras & Railways were meant to be ... lined together... or was that "joined" ?

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: PRR + NY Central = Happy Memories Topic Next Topic: Complete Tyco List?  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000