Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 My Tyco Plug Door Boxcar Rebuilding Program
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The end of custom painting...??? Topic Next Topic: Current Projects Anyone?
Page: of 9

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - November 13 2017 :  7:50:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
Well I'll be darned! I looked everywhere on that site I thought, and there it is screaming hey look at me! I was a Tyco car!

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 13 2017 :  10:07:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Check out my latest video from Trainfest 2017! If you thought my 55 car train last year was impressive, check out this year's train....

Yup, 75 boxcars, three locomotives, and one caboose. A new personal record!!!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on November 14 2017 9:38:11 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - November 13 2017 :  10:27:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Scott,

Unbelievable - 75 cars, some (many?) of them were from your reconstruction posts. You picked a great spot on the layout to film the video as the bridge, rock wall, vegetation and weathered cars was VERY realistic. Great job!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 13 2017 :  10:42:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Very nice job, Srenchin!! That is amazing how you were able to get your locomotives to pull that many cars!! Woah!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 14 2017 :  03:43:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
An astonishing achievement- taking a lowly toy Tyco box car
and morphing it into top shelf proto-real modeling.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - November 14 2017 :  5:12:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
I subscribed to your channel
just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 14 2017 :  9:34:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Thanks for the nice complements guys, I have to admit that it is quite the achievement to pull off a train this long! Under normal circumstances 36 inch radius curves are gentle enough to run just about anything, but when train lengths get over 50 cars, the strain on the cars is enough to cause "string-lining" derailments whenever anything goes wrong. From now on I think I am going to limit my train length to 55 cars.

Also note on the video how the train's speed suddenly increased at about the 1:50 mark in the video. I needed to keep the throttle wide open to keep that train moving on most parts of the layout but there one spot where the voltage to the locomotives would suddenly spike causing rapid acceleration, NOT GOOD! Rule number one when running long trains, model or prototype, don't make any rapid adjustments in speed! Planning ahead and making gradual increases and decreases in speed will keep an engineer out of trouble.

Incidentally I had four locomotives prepared for this train, but the layout's power supply could only handle three units. Fortunately three units handled the train adequately, it helped that the layout has no grades!

I have a lot of additional footage of this train and of the train show in general, are you guys interested in seeing more?

Edited by - Srenchin on November 14 2017 9:40:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - November 14 2017 :  11:26:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
that would be a yes from me!

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - November 15 2017 :  1:02:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Ditto
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 509  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 15 2017 :  10:02:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Ok, I have a three day weekend coming up, I'll see what I can do!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 17 2017 :  9:42:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Ok, by popular demand here is my third video, "Shopping at Trainfest 2017"

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 17 2017 :  11:12:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Check out my latest video from Trainfest 2017! If you thought my 55 car train last year was impressive, check out this year's train....

Yup, 75 boxcars, three locomotives, and one caboose. A new personal record!!!

Edited by - Srenchin on November 18 2017 12:42:10 AM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 18 2017 :  12:21:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is an improved video of my 75 car train featuring different viewpoints,

I can't wait for my nomination for an Academy Award!

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - November 18 2017 :  12:43:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
so how many jaws dropped when you said they were Tyco cars?

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 18 2017 :  12:55:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
so how many jaws dropped when you said they were Tyco cars?

Originally posted by rgcw5 - November 18 2017 :  12:43:46 AM

Most peoples' jaws dropped when they saw the length of my train, never mind the origin of the models themselves. That being said, there were a number of people who were quite impressed with my ability to turn sows' ears into silk purses.

I am beginning to think it is time to produce a video that documents a rebuild from start to finish.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 18 2017 :  07:33:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Srenchin, that sounds like an awesome idea! If not a full video, perhaps a time lapse.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 18 2017 :  1:28:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Srenchin, that sounds like an awesome idea! If not a full video, perhaps a time lapse.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 18 2017 :  07:33:55 AM

A time laps video... That's not a bad idea, I will have to try that.

Edited by - Srenchin on November 18 2017 1:29:42 PM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - December 24 2017 :  6:53:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Those of you who have been following my Tyco Plugger Rebuild Program are no doubt aware of my thoughts on removing the roof walk on these shells, in a nut shell it's not worth the effort.

However I have since been forced to re-evaluate that opinion after the success of these latest rebuilds. For your consideration I submit my Great Northern Big Sky Blue plug door boxcars sans roof walks.....

How did I remove the roof walks and lower the end ladders on the "B" end of these cars? Well stay tuned and I will share the process.

Until then Happy Holidays!!!

Edited by - Srenchin on December 24 2017 6:56:00 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 24 2017 :  7:15:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
GN's Sky Blue only lasted about 3 years
1967 to 1970
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - December 28 2017 :  11:21:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
OH I can't wait to see this!!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - December 30 2017 :  10:01:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Those of you who have been following my Tyco Plugger Rebuild Program are no doubt aware of my thoughts on removing the roof walk on these shells, in a nut shell it's not worth the effort.

However I have since been forced to re-evaluate that opinion after the success of these latest rebuilds. For your consideration I submit my Great Northern Big Sky Blue plug door boxcars sans roof walks.....

How did I remove the roof walks and lower the end ladders on the "A" end of these cars? This is how I did it....

You will need two plugger shells, the second shell will be a parts donor to rebuild the modified "A" end of the rebuilt car and an Accurail 50 foot boxcar roof...

If it is possible, the donor shell should be a reject unsuitable for rebuilding, the one I sacrificed had the plug door crudely removed by a previous owner...

First step in the rebuild process is to remove the unwanted cast on ladder detail on the "A" end of the rebuild shell....

Mask of the area to be removed...

Then using a Dremel tool and files, remove the original corner from the shell...

Next, remove the ends from the donor shell....

Make sure you preserve the rivet detail on the sides of the end pieces....

Now the tricky part, cut out the appropriate matching parts from the RIGHT side of the donor shell ends to plug the hole on the LEFT side of the rebuild shell. Remember you will have to turn the donor shell parts upside down to rebuild the A end on the rebuild's shell...

Use strip styrene to fill in the gap on the side of the car and to re-enforce the rebuilt A end...

Once the plastic cement is dry on the rebuilt "A" end of the car, the roof can be rebuilt....

First Mask off the original roof for a rough cut....

Then use a Dremel tool to cut out the original roof...

The next step is a fine roof removal, again using tape and Dremel tool remove all roof material from the sides and ends of the donor shell....

Then using hobby knives and files, smooth down the sides and ends of the rebuild's shell to prepare it to receive the Accurail roof...

At this point it is a good time to modify the Accurail roof. The first step is to remove the "rim" on the underside of the shell which in these pictures are highlighted in red....

After the Accurail roof is modified, test fit the new roof on the shell...

You will note that the Accurail roof overhangs the ends of the shell by about a 16th of an inch, to fix this cut the ends of the Accurail roof and then cement the parts back together again...

Once you are satisfied that the roof properly fits on the shell, cement the new roof to the shell...

The final step is to prime the shell in order to see any blemishes that may need to be filled with plastic putty....

That's it, yes it is a lot of work but if your careful it's worth the effort!

PS Sorry about the fuzzy pictures, I'll try to get better photos on my next set of rebuilds.

Edited by - Srenchin on December 30 2017 10:15:37 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 31 2017 :  09:10:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! - Stunning craftsmanship!!

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - December 31 2017 :  5:15:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
much easier than how I did my few i literally cut it down to a "flat kit" only using the sides

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - December 31 2017 :  11:20:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
much easier than how I did my few i literally cut it down to a "flat kit" only using the sides

Originally posted by rgcw5 - December 31 2017 :  5:15:11 PM

I would like to see your work, feel free to post pictures on this thread!

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 01 2018 :  01:03:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Excellent work as usual and the results are stunning!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - January 02 2018 :  8:36:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Thank you for the compliment guys, I will be doing some more rebuilds soon!

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - January 04 2018 :  8:36:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - December 31 2017 :  11:20:14 PM

it was so long ago sadly basically I cut the ends and roof off and added an accurail roof and sides
fast forward to last hear and it fell apart :/

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - January 05 2018 :  10:10:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - December 31 2017 :  11:20:14 PM

it was so long ago sadly basically I cut the ends and roof off and added an accurail roof and sides
fast forward to last hear and it fell apart :/

Originally posted by rgcw5 - January 04 2018 :  8:36:26 PM

So what happened to to the car, do you still have the parts, will you put it back together, did you pitch it?

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - January 08 2018 :  12:00:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
it's buried somewhere in my to do pile, which got set back a bit more since my prized Clementine steamer took a bad dive this afternoon and I'll be on the hunt for a new boiler

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 01 2019 :  5:58:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I am proud to announce that I will be adding some additional car projects to
my Tyco Plug Door Boxcar Rebuilding Program.

As those of you have have been following this thread probably
already know that the main impetus for rebuilding Tyco pluggers
is to have something to show off at "Trainfest", the big NMRA
regional train show held on the second weekend of
November at the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds.

Well Trainfest 2019 is rapidly approaching and I have no rebuilt
pluggers for the train I want to run.

Why?

Well this year Trainfest's theme railroad is the Burlington and
it just so happens that I have never made a CB&Q car from
an old Tyco plugger. This will have to be remedied!

After checking the internet for interesting cars to model
I have decided to settle on building some Burlington
RBBX insulated boxcars like the one shown here...

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cbq/rbbx76290jpa.jpg

Stay tuned for more developments.

Edited by - Srenchin on September 01 2019 11:33:47 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - September 01 2019 :  6:27:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Always enjoy this thread Scott. Look forward to more posts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5776  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 01 2019 :  8:21:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Sounds like a great project, Srenchin! Please Keep us posted.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 01 2019 :  11:01:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is a picture of a car that I am interested in modeling....

As you can see, the biggest difference between the RBBX car
and a Tyco Plugger is the shape of the side sills. Pluggers have
"fish belly" side sills whereas the RBBX cars have low straight sills.

So the first thing I did was to remove the original sills, I did this by first
cutting off the fish bellies with a Dremel tool and then finishing the
process with sand paper. In the process I ended up removing the
bottom rail for the plug door, I will replace the removed molded
detail with strip styrene....

Next step, adding the new straight side sills and reconstructing
the bottom door railings. Stay tuned...

Edited by - Srenchin on September 01 2019 11:26:46 PM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 02 2019 :  4:54:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is a photo of one of my cars with new side sills and lower
door railing installed...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 02 2019 :  9:07:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lookin' good!

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - September 03 2019 :  1:20:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Look's like you're of to a good start with the rebuild. I'm going to try going up to Trainfest this year.
Last time I went was 2014.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 03 2019 :  10:57:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is the latest photo from my CB&Q plugger project...

Grab irons, stirrups, and brake wheel are installed.
Under frames are also assembled.
Next step will be primmer painting!
Stay tunned!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 04 2019 :  12:02:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if you get a Tyco boxcar where the steps are missing
Do you replace them?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 05 2019 :  12:00:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
if you get a Tyco boxcar where the steps are missing
Do you replace them?

Originally posted by microbusss - September 04 2019 :  12:02:30 PM

I cut off the original stirrups and replaced them with metal parts made by A-Line.
See previous posts in this thread to see my technique.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=16767&REPLY_ID=103431

Edited by - Srenchin on September 05 2019 12:07:24 AM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 05 2019 :  12:10:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Here is the latest update, the cars have been primed
and given a coat of yellow paint. Next step will be
to paint the roof silver and then mask the yellow
stripe and paint the sides green...

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 05 2019 :  10:17:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nice! Looks like it was made that way in the first place.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 06 2019 :  12:29:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Well I have finished painting the shells, a little touch up work
is needed but on the whole they came out OK...

In not worried about the edges of the yellow band, they will
be hidden by black decal pin stripes. Tomorrow I will
touch up the paint and and start decaling.

Edited by - Srenchin on September 06 2019 12:30:51 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 06 2019 :  08:20:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Whoa! Awesome work!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 06 2019 :  12:22:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable, and these tips could come in handy.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 08 2019 :  1:24:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Well the decal work is done....

Next steps...

1.) Paint Touch Up
2.) Dull Coat
3.) Weathering
4.) Checking and adjusting weight
5.) Final Assembly
6.) Maiden test run on the layout

Stay Tuned....

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 08 2019 :  5:27:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
My three CB&Q pluggers are complete, check them out....

This was a fun project, not overly complicated but not
to simple either. I especially like the yellow stripe in
this paint scheme, these cars will really stand out in a
train.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 09 2019 :  08:17:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WOW - complete transformation! Great work.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 09 2019 :  09:57:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Rags to riches, amazing stuff.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 09 2019 :  9:39:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Rags to riches, amazing stuff.

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 09 2019 :  09:57:46 AM

Thank you for your compliments, I have almost as much fun showing
off the final product as I do in making them!

Edited by - Srenchin on September 09 2019 9:42:05 PM

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 09 2019 :  9:48:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
WOW - complete transformation! Great work.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - September 09 2019 :  08:17:46 AM

Isn't it amazing how a new paint job, a hand full of details, and
some decals can make such a huge difference! The whole
point of the Tyco Plug door Rebuild Program is to prove that
you don't need to spend a ton of money to make a nice
freight car fleet.

Edited by - Srenchin on September 09 2019 9:49:25 PM
Page: of 9 Previous Topic: The end of custom painting...??? Topic Next Topic: Current Projects Anyone?  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000