Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Ethical Question - Modifying a Rare Model
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Current Projects Anyone? Topic Next Topic: Best way to srip paint from metal  

Bring Back British Rail
Switcher

Posted - April 11 2023 :  1:09:44 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Bring Back British Rail to Buddylist
Seeking opinions and input here. I recently was able to buy a pre-war sand-cast brass Varney streamlined Hudson. It's in original condition but it requires a restoration. All the body and chassis parts are there although one main rod is bent so I may have to mount the body on a modified Tyco Hudson chassis if I can't unbend it or find another type of fix. I'll have to see.

This Varney is a fairly rare model and as originally made it has deep, curving side skirts sort of like the ones on the NYC's Commodore Vanderbilt. The model I bought has the original skirts fitted but I don't like the look of them. I prefer skirts that look like the ones fitted to the SF Blue Goose or the N&W J Class.

Given its rarity is it better to do this model justice and just restore it with its original skirts or should I change the skirts so they look the way I prefer? I am surprisingly split 50/50 over this. This will be a working model, not a shelf queen, once I've finished the restoration.

Edited by - Bring Back British Rail on April 11 2023 1:11:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: November 19 2021  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2023 Alert Moderator 

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - April 11 2023 :  2:21:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
This is just my opinion, but I would replace the original skirts with new ones. If you are going to restore the model, then why not update the skirts as well?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 11 2023 :  9:02:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
If you plan to keep it forever, do whatever you want to with it. It’s only when you sell it to someone else that it has any monetary value.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 12 2023 :  08:02:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I don't see it as an ethical question. A locomotive has no value to me unless I can run it, and it performs well under the conditions I have on my layout. I see nothing wrong with modifying any locomotive or car to meet those standards.

One of the modifications I am looking at is to modify a Tyco C630 to run off a battery pack to eliminate the pickup problems inherent to their design. Wiring the motor directly to a battery pack would give me a locomotive that will run regardless of how dirty the track is, and will allow the motor an uninterrupted power supply. When completed, this locomotive will be used to pull my track cleaning cars.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 485  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - April 12 2023 :  9:52:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Personally, I prefer authentic restorations. However, like the other guys said, if you're going to run it, might as well customize it for your needs.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 511  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Current Projects Anyone? Topic Next Topic: Best way to srip paint from metal  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000