Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Tyco CDROM CONVERSION update
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco Super Spirit of 76 Topic Next Topic: Booster 0-4-0 in bright colors?  

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 22 2015 :  7:44:44 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I finally got the CDROM converted Power Torque in a 0-8-0. Pulled 6 Tyco cars at a handsome pace with no trouble. I did notice it couldn't reverse with more than 3 cars. So if expected to back in more than 3 cars, it just spins out and that's with new traction tires. I believe maybe a ounce or so added may help as most of the block was grinded and filed alot. In a few weeks when I do my HO set up at the train show, I'll be able to see how it'll do for the day. I do see DCC being easier to install as the motor and it's wiring is separate now with the negative side. With a little work, it can be done easily.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - March 22 2015 :  8:40:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Nice. Hope the extra weight helps with backing up. I'd like to do a conversion myself soon. Need to get some motors from work.

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  10:31:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Here is a link, I can't find the first that explains the conversion from around 2008 after I noticed it in one of Ray M's Alcos.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3004

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

trainfan91
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 29 2015 :  8:44:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainfan91 to Buddylist
man i wanna see a how to video on this
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 28  ~  Member Since: March 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 09 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - April 01 2015 :  5:13:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
It's not that complicated. I used a Dremel tool with a grinding stone to open up the old power truck so the CD motor would fit. The old truck was held with a leather yard type glove to help with heat and to protect my fingers from accidents. Protective eyewear was used too. I used epoxy to glue in the motor after I checked the fit and alignment. The old pinion gear was drilled carefully so as not to crack it and then it was epoxied to the shaft and it still lined up with the old Tyco plastic gears. It was wired up and put in an old Silver Streak as a test mule.
Some CD drive motors are thicker than others and that can interfere with the rotation of the truck in the shell. I think I clearenced the shell a bit in one situation.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - April 03 2015 :  08:26:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
This link, from long ago, shows pics from my first repower with a CD drive motor. Hope it clears up some questions.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2960

Alco Fan

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - April 03 2015 :  09:38:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
Any Youtube videos of a Tyco running with a CD motor?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - April 03 2015 :  09:52:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Yes on the youtube videos. I stumbled on one that was in Spanish and there is one from forum member spiderj76.
Alco Fan

thetramp
Big Six

tramp

Posted - April 10 2015 :  5:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thetramp to Buddylist
quote:
Any Youtube videos of a Tyco running with a CD motor?

Originally posted by IslandTrains - April 03 2015 :  09:38:47 AM

Here is a video. About half way down.

http://goingincirclez.com/TycoTrains/Guide/PowerTorqueRepair

Edited by - thetramp on April 10 2015 5:30:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 338  ~  Member Since: February 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Tyco Super Spirit of 76 Topic Next Topic: Booster 0-4-0 in bright colors?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000