Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 New layout!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tycomania VII Topic Next Topic: My First L
Page: of 5

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 01 2014 :  11:27:01 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
We're doing some reorganizing in my basement, and my father came up with the idea of making an even bigger train table for my model railroad so I don't have to be just confined to a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I agreed, this would be a pretty good idea. But with it would also come an overhaul to my train layout. SO... time to make some new plans!

Here is what will be phase one of the new layout:

I plan to reuse the same structures and action accessories, also get some new ones, and of course reuse the same locomotives and rolling stock. (Though I may also make this layout DCC as well.)
The landscaping will also be more improved with this layout. I may reuse several of the trees, signs and poles, but the grass, roads and other parts will be new. (Instead of a mat, I will paint directly onto the plywood and then sprinkle the grass and earth material onto it.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - February 01 2014 :  11:35:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I also suggest sectional track on cork roadbed. I believe it'd be an improvement and use code 100 so anything made in HO can run your layout.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 01 2014 :  11:36:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Bigger is always better wiley!
How big is the extension board? I'm assuming you are adding on to the existing layout or are you starting over from scratch entirely?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 01 2014 :  11:45:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Bigger is always better wiley!
How big is the extension board? I'm assuming you are adding on to the existing layout or are you starting over from scratch entirely?

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - February 01 2014 :  11:36:13 PM

I will probably start it over from scratch.

And Redneck Justin, I do plan to use sectional Code 100 track on this layout for the majority.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 02 2014 :  11:21:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey Wiley, Is that a particular software program that you used to sketch out your layout? Thanks, Barry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 02 2014 :  4:54:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Wiley, Is that a particular software program that you used to sketch out your layout? Thanks, Barry

Originally posted by Barry - February 02 2014 :  11:21:08 AM

I used the SCARM software to come up with the track plan.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 02 2014 :  9:11:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
For those wondering, here are the building kits I plan to get for this new larger layout:

AHM/Tyco Burger King
AHM/Tyco Pizza Hut
Atlas Roadside Restaurant
Bachmann Plasticville Barn
Bachmann Plasticville Split-Level House
Life-Like Mt. Vernon Manufacturing Co.
Life-Like Suburban Split Level
Life-Like Union Avenue School
Tyco Corner Drug Store
Tyco Furniture Store
Tyco Machine Shop

And the following action accessories:

Bachmann Disaster Crossing
Bachmann Dual Crossing Gates (non-E-Z track)
Bachmann Tri-Level Car Transporter
Life-Like Flashing Light Storage Tank
Life-Like Logging Mill
Life-Like Pipe Dump Station
Life-Like Switchman (conventional track version)
Tyco Horse Car and Depot Set

Edited by - wiley209 on February 02 2014 9:11:50 PM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 02 2014 :  9:28:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Looks like a great list - wouldn't mind having the top two items myself
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 02 2014 :  10:20:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Looks like a great list - wouldn't mind having the top two items myself
Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - February 02 2014 :  9:28:01 PM

Me too
Plus Disaster Crossing
Plasticville Barn
& a few others

Hey! get the Life-Like Kentucky Fried Chicken place too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 10 2014 :  5:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, we made a space for the new benchwork, which we should begin working on next week. I also dismantled the old layout:

Bachmann Disaster Crossing I got for the new layout, which I will install on it once I get to Stage 2 of the track installation. Only thing is, it doesn't come with instructions, and I could really use them...

I also set up a temporary layout on the plywood before I actually begin the project, so I can still run my equipment.

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - February 10 2014 :  7:02:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Was it hard taking up the old layout? Not physically, but just undoing what you did before?

About the disaster crossing...is the tow truck loose, or connected to the slide switch in some fashion? Do you know what exactly the 'disaster' is supposed to be? Tow truck not getting the car off the tracks in time?

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 10 2014 :  8:36:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Was it hard taking up the old layout? Not physically, but just undoing what you did before?

About the disaster crossing...is the tow truck loose, or connected to the slide switch in some fashion? Do you know what exactly the 'disaster' is supposed to be? Tow truck not getting the car off the tracks in time?

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - February 10 2014 :  7:02:00 PM

It wasn't TOO hard disassembling the layout, though pulling up a few track sections was a little tricky.

As for the disaster crossing, the vehicles came separate and you have to assemble it. I don't think this was even used, even though it was opened. I think they call it that because it's avoiding a disaster, but I heard sometimes it may not work properly and the train will hit the car, and THAT'S a disaster (though I've had a couple instances where one of my trains would hit a car stalled on the track and knock it off; I usually do this with cheaper Life-Like/Bachmann/Tyco engines.)

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 11 2014 :  12:52:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I get that Disaster Crossings I will change the crossing signal to the other side
Maybe even put in ones with lights
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 24 2014 :  9:01:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
We got the lumber today! We will then assemble the benchwork some time this week, and then I will get started on landscaping. I did draw where the roads will go on the existing plywood, and I also did a bit of test-fitting of some of the track to get an idea on how the roads will be positioned and such:

I have a feeling this is going to be quite a project...

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - February 24 2014 :  9:08:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks like a nice little control center you got there Wiley, and a nice passing track. Keep the pictures comin'.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 28 2014 :  02:06:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
We're doing some reorganizing in my basement, and my father came up with the idea of making an even bigger train table for my model railroad so I don't have to be just confined to a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I agreed, this would be a pretty good idea. But with it would also come an overhaul to my train layout. SO... time to make some new plans!

Here is what will be phase one of the new layout:

I plan to reuse the same structures and action accessories, also get some new ones, and of course reuse the same locomotives and rolling stock. (Though I may also make this layout DCC as well.)
The landscaping will also be more improved with this layout. I may reuse several of the trees, signs and poles, but the grass, roads and other parts will be new. (Instead of a mat, I will paint directly onto the plywood and then sprinkle the grass and earth material onto it.)

Originally posted by wiley209 - February 01 2014 :  11:27:01 PM

Solid and classical. Love the long sidings to park beautiful trains in waiting. It then becomes an operatonal trick to tease each train forward to the main while easing one off to one of the two sidings. Very clever. Can't wait to see this beauty come to life!!!

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11210  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - February 28 2014 :  7:57:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
Looks likes the plan should work well. Do you anticipate any running problems with long equipment through the "S" curve at the interior switch? To make a real "malfunction junction" you could replace that switch with a double slip and add another siding.
Good health!, ottb
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 12 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 28 2014 :  10:35:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here's some more track-fitting testing I am trying, with the help of a couple clay friends:

I'm also planning on what buildings go where (the Bachmann station and pedestrian bridge are in temporary locations.) We still need to assemble the train table extension and apply a primer coat of paint before I begin (and I need to get a few more track sections to complete Stage 1, but so far it's looking good!)

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 02 2014 :  10:46:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I have now applied the base coat of paint to the existing plywood:

The roads, grass and landscaping will then be added later.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - March 02 2014 :  11:04:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Good job, Wiley... I've had a good time working on building my bench. Sadly I only get about two hours a week to work on mine... I should get more time towards the build soon... I have about $250.00 in lumber, paint and screws so far and thinking of adding a 2X4 brace between the legs on the ends of each table... But I beLIEve it will all pay off...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 03 2014 :  5:59:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Trying out where some of the buildings will be going...

I also put the primer coat on the second sheet of plywood that will be used as the extension. The assembly will hopefully be this week.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 23 2014 :  11:58:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
The train table extension is finally finished!

Here I am doing some more track test-fitting, to see how well the layout would work. I should soon begin landscaping and track-laying this week.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 24 2014 :  11:30:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Doing some more deciding on where buildings would go, and a bit more track-fitting and road-painting...

I will do the actual landscaping some time soon this week.

Where I'm installing my Tyco operating boxcar station and freight-unloading depot, along with my Tyco lighted yard tower.

I can now finally install that Tyco operating crossing flasher! (The lights don't alternate flashing; they just come on steady as the train goes over the sensor, but still a nice accessory!) I also put my Life-Like Snap-Loc station building kit here.

Tyco crossing gate (with nickel-silver track!) and lighted freight station. On the other side of the second track I will install a crossing signal and gate there.

My two Center St. building kits! I plan to maybe get a couple more, like that Furniture Store one, as I do have room for some more structures on this layout.

These are the buildings I have so far on the extension.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 25 2014 :  3:54:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Getting started on the landscaping now!

Something tells me I'm going to need a couple more containers of that green ground foam material... (Too bad Life-Like discontinued theirs...)

Dirt area for the parking lot to the Suburban Station that will be going here on the layout.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 26 2014 :  09:00:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Something tells me I'm going to need a couple more containers of that green ground foam material... (Too bad Life-Like discontinued theirs...)

Something I learned while building my first landscaped layout was to paint the board the same colour as the ground foam you are putting down. It helps everything blend and allows you to use less of the ground foam. Alternatively you can just paint everything brown so that any thin spots in your grass just look like dirt.

The layout looks to be coming along nicely. How are you planning on attaching the track to the board?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 26 2014 :  09:46:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:

Something I learned while building my first landscaped layout was to paint the board the same colour as the ground foam you are putting down. It helps everything blend and allows you to use less of the ground foam. Alternatively you can just paint everything brown so that any thin spots in your grass just look like dirt.

The layout looks to be coming along nicely. How are you planning on attaching the track to the board?

Originally posted by DaCheez - March 26 2014 :  09:00:35 AM

What I've been doing is I paint the area I want to landscape green or brown, then sprinkle the ground foam onto it while the paint is still wet. But I might try for that method with the visible "dirt."
I will be attaching the track via track nails, as I am using conventional Code-100 "snap track."

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 26 2014 :  10:47:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Tried the brown paint approach with the grass:

I will admit, it does look rather realistic!

I also decided to get started with laying the rest of the tracks. I kind of forgot how tedious the process can be with conventional snap-track (mostly when nails get accidentally bent), but it should be well worth the results.
For the hard-to-reach areas on the extension, I can temporarily take the plywood off, nail the track onto it, then re-install it.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 26 2014 :  11:05:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Well, we made a space for the new benchwork, which we should begin working on next week. I also dismantled the old layout:

Bachmann Disaster Crossing I got for the new layout, which I will install on it once I get to Stage 2 of the track installation. Only thing is, it doesn't come with instructions, and I could really use them...

I also set up a temporary layout on the plywood before I actually begin the project, so I can still run my equipment.

Originally posted by wiley209 - February 10 2014 :  5:16:04 PM

I've seen a layout very similar to the temporary layout you have there at a museum in my town.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 29 2014 :  7:34:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've gotten some more landscaping done today...

(The track areas with no landscaping on them will have ballast applied to them.)

My new Woodland Scenics tunnel!

The progress so far.

Edited by - wiley209 on March 29 2014 8:07:43 PM

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 30 2014 :  7:30:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

Placing some of the buildings onto my layout now. I'll get around to weathering them soon.

Finished another end of landscaping; there is only a little left on the first sheet of plywood now that needs to be decorated, along with the rest of the second sheet.

I have also now hooked the track and blocking control to my MRC Tech-4 280 power pack, along with wiring up two of the switches. I ran one of my locomotives on the completed loop on the original existing plywood and it worked pretty well.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 31 2014 :  11:58:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Finally finished applying the landscaping (except ballast) to the original existing plywood!

As you can see, it is already looking much better than the old layout.
Though once the landscaping on the second sheet of plywood is done, I still need to get some new buildings! Probably a mix of old and new...

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - April 01 2014 :  12:18:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Wiley has been busy! Keep up the nice work
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 01 2014 :  01:20:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Lookin' good Wiley.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 01 2014 :  9:21:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here's a few more updates...

I am experimenting with ballast. Maybe once I vacuum up the excess stuff, it won't look as messy.

Landscaping on the second sheet of plywood.

Already adding some scenic details to the existing plywood section as well.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 09 2014 :  11:49:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

The final assembly is now done! I also removed the blocking, as it was causing some trouble with the power.

The attached extension in its' current state.

From another angle.

Older Bachmann crossing gate.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 12 2014 :  12:11:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Update time again!

I've done some more detailing on the layout.

An entrance to Roundpost Junction!

The Dickerson Station and Honest Larry's Cars are in business now!

Life-Like Supply House in the background, with the Tyco Crossing Gate and Atlas Gateman Tower.

Farm with apple orchard. I thought the Plasticville barn was going to be large, but it's in perfect scale!

Trees growing around the tunnel.

Tyco operating box car dump station and freight unloading depot, and Life-Like dumping station and lighted yard tower.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 12 2014 :  10:57:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

Grade crossing. It's not hooked up yet, as I need to get a good controller. The nonoperating plastic signal I will replace with a [url=http://www.njinternational.com/Griswald-1.jpg]Griswold-style crossing signal [/url]from NJ International.

Starting to put some people and animal figures on the layout too!

I set up a small piece of cardboard for the un-level section of plywood. I may decorate it with ballast or something.

The layout again, from an interesting angle.

Edited by - wiley209 on April 12 2014 11:51:58 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 12 2014 :  11:54:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Griswold?? OOOO! I want a REAL one
Btw? How much is it? What color of Stop Signs it come with

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 13 2014 :  01:07:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's a cool setup you got there Wiley. I like the L shape and the rock wall as the back drop. I've got a rock wall in my "basement" as well, but my basement is like 4 X 6 feet; enough room for the water heater and furnace, Ha!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 13 2014 :  11:38:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
who makes the fake crossing signals? I want a pair

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 13 2014 :  2:18:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Griswold?? OOOO! I want a REAL one
Btw? How much is it? What color of Stop Signs it come with

Originally posted by microbusss - April 12 2014 :  11:54:53 PM

I think the stop sign only comes in red with white lettering. It costs $29.99 and is made by NJ International.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 16 2014 :  11:09:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

Just installed this Life-Like flashing light storage tank...

...along with a swimming pool for the Tyco Colonial House!

Plasticville split-level house. I still need to paint the figures (I have to get more colors of paints, for that matter!)

Another overview showing the new stuff...

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 18 2014 :  7:05:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist

Added a fence and a few assorted buildings to the farm.

And here's some big news: this layout is going to shortly become a DCC train layout! I ordered a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC control pack and accompanying DCC locomotive (BNSF GP40, to match with my preferred railroad of choice for the layout.) I figured since I'm completely new to DCC, this would be a good way to start out before I eventually upgrade to something from Digitrax or similar. (I will get another DCC locomotive as well, and maybe buy a DCC-ready model so I can try installing a decoder myself before I try upgrading any of my non-DCC locos with soldering and stuff.)

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 24 2014 :  12:31:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Finally made the big upgrade to DCC!

It arrived in the post right before I left for work, so I brought it inside, then opened it up after my shift and tried it out! Here's the locomotive it came with:

I am actually impressed by it. It seems as detailed as a Bachmann Plus locomotive from the 1990s, but with a typical mid-range motor (sort of like the Model Power all-wheel drive can motors, but with a better chassis.) It runs very well anyways.
Plus, it's the first BNSF locomotive on my layout! (Though the BNSF is my main railroad on the layout, I have mostly used separate ATSF and BN locomotives prior to this.)

My new control panel. The E-Z Command unit will only run the trains, so I pulled out a TYCO power pack (1970s style) for the switches and other AC accessories.) I'm keeping the MRC 280 power pack for if I ever need it again (and I'm sure I will, for any future DC runs and whatnot.)

The train's all hooked up!

I'm going to do some more toying around with the system pretty soon, and I will also soon set up an electrically-isolated siding for running a DC locomotive on the layout as well.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - April 24 2014 :  12:06:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Pretty cool Wiley. Nice collection of buildings. I like the way the track curves around before heading into the tunnel.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 24 2014 :  12:14:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I wants a DCC loco like that but I seriously can't afford it

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 27 2014 :  9:11:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Some more pics...

The old Roundpost Junction school house, which has been closed for a long time due to it being too small for public school standards. A new school building will be built in front of it, and the old school house will be reopened as an annex to the new building (it will be a Life-Like "Union Avenue School" building kit.) The playground equipment will also be moved.

Some people are wondering where the little farmhouse went! Turns out, it's in the Land of Oz now! (It's actually being used as a prop in the local college's production of "The Wizard of Oz!â€)

A grade crossing with Bachmann Plasticville crossing signals as a temporary setup. I will eventually replace them with working crossing signals of some sort.

Train coming out of the tunnel.

I am also replacing my Tyco freight unloading depot as it apparently stopped working while in storage, and am also getting an early 90s-style Tyco Chattanooga train set (with the Mehano-made locomotive and cars) to run on the layout as a DC-only train. I am also already working on plans for building Stage 2 of the layout...

One of the sidings will be electrically isolated, and can have the power turned off or on via an Atlas controller (I wonder how I'd wire it up with the E-Z Command system?) so I can easily park an analog/DC locomotive there without worry of shorting out the motor.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 02 2014 :  10:47:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
The new school building is finished!

It's a Life-Like Union Avenue School building kit from the 1990s, which appears to be based off their "Mainline Station" kit that was repurposed into a school. (Very much like how the police station, fire station and Trust Bank/Downtown Business Center are all similar to each other.)

Back of the school. It even has the platform raised a bit ala the "Mainline Station." The Plasticville school house is still intact and is currently used for additional classroom space, sort of like portables.

Another overview.

babuff
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - May 03 2014 :  3:19:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add babuff to Buddylist
Willey

Setup really starting to look great!

Leo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 185  ~  Member Since: April 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 30 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - May 09 2014 :  7:37:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Some more updates, in time for tomorrow's National Train Day!

This locomotive's body was a little beat, so I thought I'd swap it out with a different shell...

Now it's been updated with the BNSF "Heritage" paint scheme! I may probably upgrade this one to DCC.

Amtrak comes to the layout! The Amtrak Dash 8-32BWH in the "Pepsi Can" paint style of the early '90s is also a Walthers TrainLine locomotive. I'll probably upgrade this one to DCC as well. The passenger cars are mostly Life-Like, along with a Tyco coach.

Train parked at the station.

From another angle.

Several of the locomotives in my current roster. So far only the BNSF GP40 is DCC-equipped. I plan to upgrade one of the Walthers GP9Ms, both Dash 8s and the Proto 1000 F3A. I'm also getting a Bachmann Plus Santa Fe Consolidation steam locomotive!

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - May 12 2014 :  01:10:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
I built a layout with a very similar trackplan when I was a teenager and I loved it. It is still one of the most fun layouts that I have had. The dogleg section on mine had to be hinged to drop to the floor so I could get in and out of my room!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Tycomania VII Topic Next Topic: My First L  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000