Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 27 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 DCC in a Tyco?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Tyco on eBay Topic Next Topic: Chattanooga 0-8-0  

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - February 15 2013 :  11:16:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I knew it had been attempted and don't know if anyone posted this before but I am a bit curious to know if anyone has attempted this and if so, how did it work out?

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Tyco/F9A/F9A.html

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator 

blaneo
Switcher

B&O Switcher

Posted - February 15 2013 :  11:40:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blaneo to Buddylist
I haven't done it, but I plan to add them to a few of my favorites. I do remember listening to a podcast where they were talking about the TCS in general, and there was mention of the T1 TYCO installation. What I remember about it was that they were really impressed how the engine ran better, smoother, and started at a slower speed. I don't remember which podcast it was, but I know I came home and looked up TCS and seen the price and decided that this was worth the cost even if it didn't work. They talked about the KAT series also and that looks really impressive.
Blane is the name,
Trains are the game.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 96  ~  Member Since: December 03 2012  ~  Last Visit: June 24 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - February 16 2013 :  12:21:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
I saw that they did a power torque engine as well. I am curious to see how that worked out. For anyone doing dcc conversions, that site is a very valuable tool. Currently working on a F3 Proto 1000 conversion (non dcc ready) and they had a walk through for it.
If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - February 16 2013 :  8:09:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I believe one or two guys on here HAVE done Power Torque DCC conversions. I will attempt one this year as well. The trick, in my opinion, is that the metal screws to the electrical connections on the brush plates need to be replaced with plastic screws, which will then isolate the chassis from the motor, and you can then wire up DCC without it being shorted. A bit tricky, finding 2-56 plastic screws, then I found out some Kadee coupler pocket kits already HAVE black plastic 2-56 screws in them, albeit extremely long, and need to be cut down. But it's not an impossible conversion, just needs plastic screws, which is what I think the other guys used as well. :)

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - February 17 2013 :  10:12:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
Ray,
Here's a lnk to a discussion on this subject. I have done a PT and an MU with DCC. Not sure where the pic's went from the discussion.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9377&SearchTerms=dcc

/tyco/forum/uploaded/eaglerock109/20130217104809_PTDCC2.jpg

Edited by - eaglerock109 on February 17 2013 5:04:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blackstone1
Switcher

ThomasAvatar

Posted - March 01 2013 :  4:11:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blackstone1 to Buddylist
quote:
Ray,
Here's a lnk to a discussion on this subject. I have done a PT and an MU with DCC. Not sure where the pic's went from the discussion.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9377&SearchTerms=dcc

/tyco/forum/uploaded/eaglerock109/20130217104809_PTDCC2.jpg

Originally posted by eaglerock109 - February 17 2013 :  10:12:56 AM

It would work the same way for tyco steam engines with the power torque motor in the tender right?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 02 2013 :  08:03:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
It should work the same for the tender drive PT. If you want the headlight to work off the DCC control you'd have to open the boiler and separate the wiring.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 620  ~  Member Since: February 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

blackstone1
Switcher

ThomasAvatar

Posted - March 02 2013 :  08:05:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add blackstone1 to Buddylist
quote:
It should work the same for the tender drive PT. If you want the headlight to work off the DCC control you'd have to open the boiler and separate the wiring.

Originally posted by eaglerock109 - March 02 2013 :  08:03:14 AM

I dont really care about the headlight, I just want a DCC system in there, what decoder should I use
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: September 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 02 2013 :  9:21:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I'm partial to MRC and Digitrax, both make an HO decoder that will fit in the tender. I also use the Z scale decoders from Digitrax, they can handle the power with out any problems. DZ123 is the Digitrax decoder I have in my PT Western Pacific GP20. I have used DH123 in Tyco and Mantua 4-6-2's and 2-8-2.

Hope this helps.

eaglerock109
Mikado

MantuaAvatar

Posted - March 03 2013 :  09:23:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add eaglerock109 to Buddylist
I'm in the process of DCCing a tender drive with a CD motor installed as well. I'm going to try and make the headlight and smoker work off the DCC. The smoker will function off of the yellow wire, reverse light. I have the smoker set up this way on a Mantua 4-6-2 I built from a kit, added a Yardbird can motor while I was putting it together.
Tom
  Previous Topic: Tyco on eBay Topic Next Topic: Chattanooga 0-8-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000