Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 My roster of Tyco locomotives
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 6536 numbered CN GP20 Topic Next Topic: How Rare Are These 430s?
Page: of 2

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 14 2017 :  1:05:54 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Greetings! I created this topic to display the Tyco locomotives which serve on my freelanced, autumn-themed layout. I will continue to add to this original post when new Tyco locomotives are added to my currently small yet exotic collection. Stay tuned for future comments to this original post, which will document my latest Tyco locomotive additions.

Pennsylvania RR GG1 #4173 (Tuscan Red): This was my very first Tyco locomotive and it just so happened to be a model of one of my all-time favorite trains.

Once I realized that Tyco produced a GG1 in the Brunswick Green scheme, I began searching earnestly for a good deal on one and found at first a "for parts" GG1. It was successfully returned to operation, however after a short time, the motor died (causing me to eventually "dummy-ize" it.) After this first loss, I was able to obtain a Brunswick Green GG1 in perfect operating condition, and this is the very locomotive that's pictured above.

Penn Central F9A #4751, with the white PC logo. I added the decal on the nose for realism's sake.

Although it may be hard to perceive, the trailing B-unit is in fact, made by Tyco. The leading Santa Fe F9 A-unit #347 was manufactured by (I believe) LifeLike.

Formerly Spirit of '76 Tyco C430, I spraypainted and decaled this unit to become New York Central Alco C430 #4301 (in keeping with Tyco's original numbering.) Oddly enough, Tyco never produced a C430 locomotive in NYC livery.

Santa Fe GP20 #5628: I was informed by the original owner that they had originally purchased this unit back in the '60s, and that with a little oil, it would run forever. Truly, this GP20 is a trooper (already over 50 years old) and still hauling freight on my layout.

Formerly a Rock Island Shark, this unit I customized through repainting, decaling, and some kitbashing on the trainphone antennas, to become Pennsylvania RR RF-16 #2005. Although it took over 3 weeks to complete this project, beings that the decals were annoyingly weak, it was well worth the wait!

Below is a list of Tyco locomotives which have yet to be added to my collection, as they are currently awaiting repair of some kind:

- Rock Island Shark and Caboose
- Penn Central F9A (Dummy) #9451, with "red" PC logo
- Pennsylvania RR GG1 (Dummy) Brunswick Green #4173
- Pennsylvania RR F7A Brunswick Green #9769

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on August 14 2017 2:48:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 14 2017 :  3:00:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
https://youtu.be/vrLggUbJAJw
Small and eclectic, you speaka my language.
Great photos and very nicely done ballasting-
on vintage brass rail. Look forward to seeing
more. I also like the green carpet for grass-
very Tyco, very '70's. Nice touch.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 15 2017 :  1:02:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
https://youtu.be/vrLggUbJAJw
Small and eclectic, you speaka my language.
Great photos and very nicely done ballasting-
on vintage brass rail. Look forward to seeing
more. I also like the green carpet for grass-
very Tyco, very '70's. Nice touch.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 14 2017 :  3:00:58 PM

Thanks for your comments on my layout's craftsmanship as well as the photos! I personally can't believe that those simple Dollar Store green felt mats worked perfectly as grass, and essentially a foundation on which the entire layout has been built.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 16 2017 :  11:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
You have some nice hardware there, and your custom work is pretty sharp, too. Wish I was more into painting, but I"m more the mechanical fix-it guy rather than the detailing guy. But I like what you've done to your Tyco engines. :) Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I'll have to check out the Dollar Store for green mats, can't say I've ever seen any in there, myself. Was it a seasonal acquisition?

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 17 2017 :  12:52:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
You have some nice hardware there, and your custom work is pretty sharp, too. Wish I was more into painting, but I"m more the mechanical fix-it guy rather than the detailing guy. But I like what you've done to your Tyco engines. :) Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I'll have to check out the Dollar Store for green mats, can't say I've ever seen any in there, myself. Was it a seasonal acquisition?

Jerry

Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - August 16 2017 :  11:58:23 PM

Thanks for the complements! Actually, the green felt mats carried by the Dollar Store weren't a seasonal promotion, but rather appear to be regular stock (for the felt mats come in other basic colors too such as black, gray, etc.)

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 18 2017 :  3:22:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The Rock Island RR Shark along with a RI caboose, has now arrived on the layout! The Shark was repaired in that it received a new airhorn as well as the installation of Calumet traction tires. This Shark appears to be right at home in the autumn foliage.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2017 :  6:42:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good evening, all!

I am pleased to announce that the Midnight Special RF-16 Shark and caboose have now been added to my locomotive roster! This pair is in great condition and I'm sure that they'll operate on my layout for years to come.

Behind the Scenes: When I first obtained these, the Sharknose locomotive ran well, but after oiling the drive gear, it began to experience "gear-slipping" issues. By reading up on a Model Railroader Magazine thread from someone who had experienced the same problem, I applied a very small amount of epoxy glue to the armature shaft and re-affixed the drive gear to it. Since then, it has run without an issue.

Edited by - RP model railroads on August 24 2017 6:43:55 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 24 2017 :  6:57:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey, RP
I was thinking of this & yes it is cool but I prolly would of put the NYC logo on the side of loco instead of underneath the cab window
then put 4301 under the cab window

My opinion of course
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 24 2017 :  9:09:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
hey, RP
I was thinking of this & yes it is cool but I prolly would of put the NYC logo on the side of loco instead of underneath the cab window
then put 4301 under the cab window

My opinion of course

Originally posted by microbusss - August 24 2017 :  6:57:44 PM

Good evening microbusss,

About the customized NYC C430, I actually decaled it to model the real thing, which featured the NYC logo on the cab side rather than on the side of the locomotive. Take a look below--

Unfortunately, with Tyco's C430 shell, there wasn't enough room for number decals.... I tried first using slightly-smaller NYC logos, but the cab side's texture caused the decal to not apply very well, so I had to go with the larger logos. Still looks good!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 24 2017 :  10:26:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Good evening microbusss,

About the customized NYC C430, I actually decaled it to model the real thing, which featured the NYC logo on the cab side rather than on the side of the locomotive. Take a look below--

Unfortunately, with Tyco's C430 shell, there wasn't enough room for number decals.... I tried first using slightly-smaller NYC logos, but the cab side's texture caused the decal to not apply very well, so I had to go with the larger logos. Still looks good!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - August 24 2017 :  9:09:23 PM

Oh I sees what you mean! *derp*

would of been a fantasy scheme anyway heh
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 31 2017 :  9:43:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here is a video I just took of the Midnight Special Shark #1060 and caboose operating on my layout. Hope you all enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/231925236

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 31 2017 :  11:46:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
think I would of used CCR's Midnight Special

but cool video anyway

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 01 2017 :  01:42:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Really nice vid, I got a chuckle out of the phone booth-
you don't see those anymore!! I hope you post more
videos, I rather enjoy it, particularly, when as you
did, a little music is tacked on. Your layout is small,
but well thought out. I often think it takes more
imagination to create a small scene than a big
one- you really have to think about every small
thing and how it fits into a bigger picture.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 02 2017 :  07:09:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks both microbusss and Chops 124! I appreciate your comments.

And, I do look forward to posting more videos of my layout in the future!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 13 2017 :  10:18:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Recently, I received a message from Chops regarding how he took videos of his layouts from a 1/87th scale perspective. I immediately was inspired by his method, and decided to harness his procedure to use on the Ephrata Valley Railroad. Finding a good price on Ebay for the HotWheels Video Racer cam, I snagged it and received it a couple days ago. Proceeding to read the manual, I set the camera to long exposure and affixed it to a Union Pacific RR flatcar by a rubber band. The "camera crew" employed both the flatcar and Southern RR GP38 #5056 in order to get the job done.

First, I sent the GP38 barrelling down the tracks and after nearly a minute, slowed the speed to be more prototypical. I then downloaded and edited the video in MovieMaker - simply splicing the video together/brightening things up.

Here is the final result: https://vimeo.com/233711744

Now, the HotWheels Video Racer is not the most "high-tech" mini-camera available, so the video is slightly fuzzy and a bit dark. But, it is the first step towards the forthcoming production of awesome 1/87th scale videos on the Ephrata Valley Railroad! Thanks Chops for informing me of such a camera and its capabilities. :)

P.S. You will notice that I managed to escape being caught on cam....that's because "the giant" hid behind the Horseshoe Curve Branch Line as the 1/87th camera crew accomplished its task.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 13 2017 :  11:15:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A pleasure to watch. I spotted the Reading Geep and a rarely seen
green Great Northern pulpwood car. I was surprised how smooth
the ride was. My attempts bang all over the place- maybe I need
to try the rubber band trick.

You could also "drive" us viewers through the town!

Edited by - Chops124 on September 13 2017 11:17:18 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 13 2017 :  11:39:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well I'm planning on upgrading my Lionel RailScope with a COLOR cam instead
I will try to power cam off of tracks while a 9v rechargable battery keeps cam on when stopped

Course someday I will try to get a matching caboose for it made

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 14 2017 :  11:10:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think the second half at the slower speed was an improvement. It gave one time to look at the layout and it wasn't quite so dizzying.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 14 2017 :  3:16:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
A pleasure to watch. I spotted the Reading Geep and a rarely seen
green Great Northern pulpwood car. I was surprised how smooth
the ride was. My attempts bang all over the place- maybe I need
to try the rubber band trick.

You could also "drive" us viewers through the town!

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 13 2017 :  11:15:34 PM

Thanks Chops!! Yeah, it turned out that using a single rubber band, wrapped twice, served to hold the Video Racer cam well.

Actually, I was thinking of "driving" the cam through the town myself, just to see how it would look from a "driver's" perspective. I think I will try that soon!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 14 2017 :  3:17:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I think the second half at the slower speed was an improvement. It gave one time to look at the layout and it wasn't quite so dizzying.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - September 14 2017 :  11:10:51 AM

I agree, the slower speed was not only more prototypical, but helped to lessen the "fuzzy" look. Plus, I know that I can go even slower, which I will be trying in the near future. :)

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 14 2017 :  3:20:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
well I'm planning on upgrading my Lionel RailScope with a COLOR cam instead
I will try to power cam off of tracks while a 9v rechargable battery keeps cam on when stopped

Course someday I will try to get a matching caboose for it made

Originally posted by microbusss - September 13 2017 :  11:39:11 PM

Sounds like an awesome project, microbusss! Good luck on it!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 15 2017 :  3:23:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NEW Additons: Twin Southern Pacific RR Sharks.

About a week or two ago, I found a great deal on Ebay for these twin Tyco Southern Pacific RR RF-16 "Sharks," that are brand new in their original box. One is the powered locomotive, while the other is the "dummy" version.

Upon taking them out of the box, I put the locomotive on the tracks for a test run and nothing happened...... I tried manually pushing and pulling the locomotive a bit to see if it would jostle the gears, but still, nothing. Concerned, I then turned to using a screwdriver to tinker with the gears as I sparingly lubed them, which caused a low buzzing sound to be audible and the headlight to light-up, but still, no movement. I then gently cleaned the gears with rubbing alcohol, and proceeded to re-lube both the gears and axles. After this, the locomotive shuttered and began a slow crawl around the layout. Following the Tyco manual found within the box, I "broke-in" the Shark and then attached the dummy SP Shark to it. By this point, the pair was operating wonderfully.

Lastly, I removed the factory-installed traction tires and replaced them with Calumet ones. Now, these two Southern Pacific "Daylight" Sharks have been assigned to freight duty on the Ephrata Valley Railroad, and can haul (currently) 6 cars with no issues at all. I will be testing out a 7th car, and hope to obtain a Daylight caboose to match these Sharks. Very pleased to now have these in the roster!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 22 2017 :  4:39:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
About that metallic red Shark....unfortunately, I couldn't get the motor to work, for it appears that it was burned-out long ago. Nevertheless, it is a great display piece!

Here is how it appears now - I stripped the paint using Goof-Off, hoping to find an inner layer of paint (possibly the original), but apparently the former owner must have stripped the old scheme prior to repainting it to metallic red. To retain the original metal look, I used brillo/steel wool to remove age-corrosion. Lastly, I super-glued a loop-n-hook coupler assembly to the front truck for realism in display. At least it'll have a quiet retirement.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 22 2017 :  5:28:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, some remarkable pieces. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of
data in here that could get your all metal Shark fired up. If you
haven't discovered already, those pancake motors are pure
junk and are likely to either slip the pinion drive gear or just
burn up with a puff of gray smoke. You sound like you know
a thing or two, so apologies if I am preaching to the choir.

Myself, I replaced some pancakes with the older Mantual
powered trucks- not always so easy because the motor
mounts varied from year to year, or in two instances
a guy milled down some Model Power shark chassis
to fit the Tyco shell.

I sure hope you post some more videos- I'd really like to
see your astonishing Horseshoe Curve in action with all
three lines lit up.

If you don't mind me asking, not a lot of younger people
drawn to this hobby, much less funky old Tyco. How did
you get into this line?

Edited by - Chops124 on September 22 2017 5:29:34 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 22 2017 :  5:58:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, I analyzed the motor and it's definitely a goner since there are a few broken wires visible in the spindle at the end of the motor, signs that it burned-out at some point. I tried to transplate a Tyco F7 motor from the 1960's into the Shark's powered truck, but unfortunately, it didn't work either. :( Still a nice addition to the roster, though!

I definitely plan to post more videos, of both the Horseshoe Curve Branch Line and the Ephrata Valley Railroad. In fact, I think I'll publish my Horsehose Curve Weekly post (posted every Saturday on my website), under the TF Railroader News tomorrow.

To be honest, I've been interested in model railroading for as long as I can remember, due to the N-Scale Christmas layout being set up every year under the Christmas tree. Those memories inspired me to build a small N-Scale layout for all-year use. That was a few years ago at this point, and that layout has been dismantled. 2 years ago, I started constructing the Ephrata Valley Railroad (my first opportunity to run the HO-Scale train set I received from a customer of my mother and father's home repair business years prior.) Since then, it has been a roller-coaster of model railroad fun, including the construction of the Horseshoe Curve Branch Line almost a year ago, in 2 months.

I became interested in Tyco when I obtained the Tuscan Red GG1 #4173, which I was immediately captivated with. I soon began searching for the Brunswick Green version, and since then, many more Tycos have been added to the roster. I found the Tyco Forum a while ago and explored around it as a guest. I finally decided to become a member a month ago, and I'm sure glad I did.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 22 2017 :  9:25:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Nice to see "The next generation" getting into the fun that is Tyco. I love that metal shark. Those are beasts.

I just turned 40 and my first set was a Tyco Silver Streak. I love small HO layouts and yours is amazingly detailed for its size. Keep 'em coming.

DM

Edited by - DanMacK on September 22 2017 9:49:47 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 22 2017 :  9:36:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Congratulations on just turning 40. I agree, Tyco equipment is a lot of fun! Thank you as well for your comments on the Ephrata Valley Railroad, I truly appreciate it.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 22 2017 :  9:51:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
There's another shark on eBay now pretty reasonably priced in the original paint.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HO-scale-tyco-Diecast-rare-sharknose-shark-nose-1957-Mantua-2231-/263207813284?hash=item3d486880a4:g:sAUAAOSwXvNZuyrD

Maybe cobble together a powered and a dummy with parts from this one?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 22 2017 :  10:05:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
There's another shark on eBay now pretty reasonably priced in the original paint.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HO-scale-tyco-Diecast-rare-sharknose-shark-nose-1957-Mantua-2231-/263207813284?hash=item3d486880a4:g:sAUAAOSwXvNZuyrD

Maybe cobble together a powered and a dummy with parts from this one?

Originally posted by DanMacK - September 22 2017 :  9:51:08 PM

Yeah, I've seen that metal Shark....except there's no guarantee that it works, for the seller only tested it with a 9-volt battery, which of course, wasn't enough voltage to power the locomotive. But, still, it remains uncertain as to whether it truly works....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 23 2017 :  01:05:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
RP, you bring a lot to the table. I will be looking forward to
the Horseshoe Curve weekly. My great grandfather worked
on PRR his entire life, as a brake man, from the days of the
link and pin couplers. I have an old Super 8 video of a
a double header of what, was it, Mikados, or something
big and black, pounding up the curve while he and my
grand father wipe the cinders from their eyes.

Funny how railroading can be in a person's blood. My
good friend is a UP engineer, and his mom tells me that
when he was a little toddler, he pull himself up when the
train would go by and strain to see out the window.

I got to travel a little on trains both stateside and in
Europe back in the early 1960's- back when one
still took the train to get somewhere on a regular
basis. Now everyone just flies or drives. It was a
lovely time. Always had a good ride on a train
whether it was Canada, the US, or the Soviet Union.
Yep, sure did.

Like Dan, I find small layouts fascinating. And I like
particularly enjoy Tyco layouts- it's like seeing a
piece of folk art, which it legitmately is.

Edited by - Chops124 on September 23 2017 01:11:47 AM

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 23 2017 :  7:18:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Well, it's a shot in the dark, but you could also see what's up with it.

Also, what's up with the motor in the one you have? Have you disassembled it completely?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 23 2017 :  10:31:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Mine is the original "pancake motor" that would've been installed in the metal Shark from production. And, yes, I have disassembled the motor truck down to the point where I could literally remove the motor - thus discovering that it had burned out in the past for several wires in the "wire spindle" were visibly split.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 23 2017 :  11:41:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I am surprised, I thought the metal shark would have had the older
MU2 motor. I might have an extra Tyco Pancake I pulled out of
another unit (to install an MU2) should you need it.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 23 2017 :  11:57:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
The metal shark should have had the pre-MU-2 *MU-1? lol_ truck in it. look at http://hoseeker.net/assemblyexplosionMantua/mantuadieaselsharkpg2.jpg to see what the armature should look like. Take a couple of pics of the motor and post them here.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 24 2017 :  08:01:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yep, correction, it is a MU-style motor -- I was confused at first. The motor itself appears okay, but upon closer examination, at least 2-3 wires are visibly split in the spindle-wire part at the back (or front) of the motor.

Here's a photo of the motor - note that a few of the wires on top of the wire spindle are broken, and that the gear closest to the damaged side of the motor is slightly stripped.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 24 2017 :  09:51:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Yeah, it's pooched, lol. Sometimes they can be resoldered, and that might be salvagable, but I'd say go for the eBay shark. if it runs off 9V, it should be good on 12.

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - September 25 2017 :  02:15:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
If it didn't run off 9V it would be considered junk or due for a complete rebuild. I use an old 6V Eveready Dolphin lantern battery to test my locos if I haven't got anything set up.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 25 2017 :  2:36:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yikes. Someone had fun with that old Shark.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 07 2017 :  5:55:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

I have finally obtained the Burlington Northern RR Sharknose diesel, #415! Upon taking it out of the box, it didn't run. I lubed the gears and axles, but still no movement. I observed the underside of the BN Shark, and it seems that whoever last ran the locomotive, must have re-mounted the front motor truck back in improperly, for the brass contact wheels were on the same side on both trucks. After a swift rotation of the front truck and placing it back on the track, boom, instant movement. I let it run around in forward and reverse for a bit and it looks like it was barely ever run, for after about 10 minutes of this procedure, the PT motor seemed to get stronger than at the start and now works reliably each time power is sent down the tracks. I expected to have needed to change the traction tires, but it is pulling 5 cars and a BN caboose without hassle, which is awesome!

Here's a video of the Burlington Northern Shark operating on the Ephrata Valley Railroad - Enjoy!
https://vimeo.com/237238414

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 16 2017 :  9:58:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The twin Tyco Delaware and Hudson RR Sharks #1205 & #1216, have now arrived on my layout, and I am so excited to share about them!!!

The powered Shark in the lead was one I had found in an Ebay buy-it-now listing a month or so ago, and was able to obtain it at a good price. Shortly after that, I won an auction for a dummy D&H Shark for only $8.00, but my main purpose upon receiving it was to keep it for parts, as the rear stepladder was broken on the shell, while the horn, headlight, couplers, and dummy trucks/covers were in perfect shape! A BIG shout-out to Chops, who graciously bid on an auction for a second powered D&H Shark, and won it successfully at a great price, in order to trade for the Conrail switcher I had!!! Thanks Chops!

I just received the second powered D&H Shark this afternoon, and set to removing the power trucks and replacing them with the dummy trucks. After about 5 minutes of prep, I then had the powered and dummy Delaware & Hudson RR Sharks, and both in great shape! Then, I replaced the original traction tires on the powered locomotive with Calumets, and lubed the drive gear, resulting in an excellent operating experience!!

Here is a video of both D&H Sharks, hauling a 7 freight-car load on the Ephrata Valley Railroad. Enjoy! - https://vimeo.com/238508703

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 16 2017 :  10:53:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Sounds like an awesome project, microbusss! Good luck on it!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - September 14 2017 :  3:20:04 PM

yeah
am gonna have a friend who is a uber genius on electronics help me do the conversion

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2017 :  11:13:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Smooth running! I hear that the Tyco D&H caboose is one of the
most rare finds.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 17 2017 :  1:12:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yes, I heard that also. Will have to keep a look-out for it.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 17 2017 :  2:50:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Yeah that DNH Caboose is one of the hardest ones to find. Congrats on the acquisition of the Delaware and Hudson sharks. I think that's my favorite paint scheme I love the blue bonnet. I just got a new shark too LOL but it's a little bit rarer than the DNH one.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 17 2017 :  7:30:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys! Yes, I am THRILLED to have the Tyco D&H Sharks in my roster!!

DanMacK, hope you post your latest Shark to the TF. Just wondering, what Shark is it?? NYC?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 20 2017 :  10:06:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Latest project:

Restoring a Tyco "Super" Alco C630 for the Chessie System. I received only the shell from Chops thanks to another successful trade...and since then, I have been able to restore the once shell to a fully operating Chessie C630! I installed the metal handrails, added the horn, headlights/number plates, vampire trucks, truck covers, weight, and weight covers.

I also added Calumet traction tires to all 3 driver wheels....but because I lubed it, I now have to deal with it being willing to haul only 3 cars up a fairly-average inclined curve track to the bridge on the outer line of my layout. Must be because of the fact that the beast keeps leaving excess oil behind on the rails that is interfering with operation.

Stay tuned for video!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2017 :  1:40:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Went to the Nicholas Smith Train Store in Broomall, PA, yesterday, and came home with these gems! Wow!

A Tyco Autoloader with all cars, 1890 SF passenger coach, Union Pacific Piggyback car, a Rivarossi PRR Wreck Crane and Maintenance Car, Tyco/Mantua Northern Pacific F9 A & B (how rare are these - I have never seen them on Ebay?) a bag of plastic cars/trucks, and some HO accesories.

Still working on getting the NP F-units to operate properly.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 29 2017 :  2:46:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dang! Quite a Tyco Mega Score. I rather like the autos on the left,
in the particular, they are Mega Cheezy- just right for the style!
Looks to be an MU2 on that NP. Did you manage to get those
NP coaches???

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 29 2017 :  3:19:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
about the bad motor on the Shark?

I know a friend who has painstakingly rewound motors like that

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 29 2017 :  4:31:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice stuff, RP!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2017 :  6:15:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Walt and Chops!! Yes, I did complete a great transaction with Brian for all 3 of his NP passenger coaches (they have been posted under SOTW.) Actually, those ultra-cheezy cars/trucks will be posted under AOTW as is, but as their "cheeziness" is provoking me, I do plan on painting them in the future, before adding them to the layout. (well, at least some of them)

Microbusss, that must be intense work!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 6536 numbered CN GP20 Topic Next Topic: How Rare Are These 430s?  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000