Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 39 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 My roster of Tyco locomotives
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 6536 numbered CN GP20 Topic Next Topic: How Rare Are These 430s?
Page: of 2

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 29 2017 :  9:10:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Those Northern Pacific F7s look great! Tyco never made a NP F7 from what I know, those are almost certainly Mantua engines from the 1970s or 1980s.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2017 :  9:41:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks DaCheez!! So, those were produced under the "Mantua" name...in the late 1970's? Which makes sense because the weight under the powered F9 says just "Mantua" rather than "Mantua Tyco" as usual.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 30 2017 :  08:53:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I don't know the whole history off the top of my head, but essentially Mantua sold off the Tyco line of trains to Consolidated Foods in the early 1970s, and then continued to make various items under their own name. The easy spotting differences for the F-units are screwed together MU2 trucks (vs. the riveted trucks from the 1960s) and the rounded ladders which aren't quite flush with the sides of the engine.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 30 2017 :  4:17:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah. I understand, and you're right, the bottoms of the trucks are screwed in to contain the gears/wheels, as apposed to the earlier riveted design. So, the ones manufactured under the "Mantua" name, were they still manufactured in Hong Kong then like the rest of the Tycos during the "Brown Box" period?, or were the later Mantua products manufactured in the US/or another country??
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 30 2017 :  5:12:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Unfortunately that's beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone else has an answer.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2017 :  7:22:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's the same Silver Streak C430 that I had posted under LOTW this week - now handrailed, and operating on the Ephrata Valley Railroad!! With Goody's Hairband traction tires, this C430 is currently hauling 10 cars (9 hoppers and 1 caboose).

Here's a video: https://vimeo.com/242156351

(by the way, in the video, the C430 is not even on full blast!)

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - November 09 2017 :  7:45:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
What's interesting is AFAIK, the Silver Streaks never had handrails :D
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2017 :  7:53:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Really!?!? Tyco never produced any Silver Streaks with handrails? Interesting, so mine is even more custom then I thought.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 09 2017 :  8:32:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Love the vid, real close clearance to the train on the siding. Looks
like you're putting some serious mileage on that consist. I like
to do the same thing: run the stuff until the wheels shine!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 09 2017 :  9:28:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
XD, yep, I do love trains that can haul some big consists Except, racing trains is never an option.....well maybe....

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 12 2017 :  8:08:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
YES! I now have set the D&H Sharknose as my profile pic.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 19 2017 :  5:46:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I received 2 Union Pacific Tyco F7's the other day in the lot I won last weekend, but the powered UP F7's shell was beat.....so I simply switched out the powered trucks from the powered shell to the dummy shell, and upon lubing it, the locomotive ran like a charm! I also added Goody's hairband traction tires, added an additional horn on the roof, and replaced the powered truck's coupler.

Then, I placed it on the layout and it is now serving to pull all 4 of my piggyback cars, plus the container car and UP caboose that also arrived yesterday. Although I know this engine could haul more, this amount of cars is "prototypical" for my layout.

Enjoy! https://vimeo.com/243561309

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2017 :  4:43:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
My latest Tyco locomotive additions - Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------

Union Pacific F9 A-B-A set
Here's a video of UP A-A F9's #537 and #538, working together on the Ephrata Valley Railroad: https://vimeo.com/245533088

A brilliant Conrail F9A #4015, product of a trade with DanMacK! Here's a video: https://vimeo.com/246660688

Very excited about this one -- a vintage 1960's Santa Fe "Blue Bonnet" F9 #4015, with screw-in trucks!! I was fortunate to win this one at a great price last weekend, and here it is on the layout -- my second "Blue Bonnet" ATSF schemed Tyco (the other is GP20 #5628.) This locomotive, like others of the "Red Box" Made in the U.S.A. era runs excellently, pulling 7 cars without new traction tires at all.

A video is forthcoming for the "Blue Bonnet" F9, so stay tuned!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2017 :  7:10:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
thats the ATSF one I has as a A-B-B-A unit!
One B unit is powered but none have been tested
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2017 :  7:26:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA!!! Awesome microbusss!! You have to share it under a future LOTW!!!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 13 2017 :  10:15:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
WHOA!!! Awesome microbusss!! You have to share it under a future LOTW!!!!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - December 13 2017 :  7:26:04 PM

well both A-A units are the same as this one
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14690  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2017 :  10:59:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah! But it still would be neat to see the entire set.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 14 2017 :  12:56:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Just came into these videos. RP, I really liked some of those
camera angles, my favorite being at track level as the Conrail
train passes under the signal bridge. The camera angles
really make this layout seem bigger than it is- not until
the camera pulled back did I get an idea as to the overall
dimensions. I think it takes considerable effort to make
such focused use of space and have it come out right.
Like Dan Mack, I have a strong interest and appreciation
for small layouts. The Blue Bonnet is a superb addition
to your fine collection of Tyco F's.

Another detail I enjoy, is the crisp, photoreal stills
of Tyco pieces upon vintage brass rail.

I might add there is nothing "small" about your
amazing contributions!!

Edited by - Chops124 on December 14 2017 01:01:35 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11197  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 14 2017 :  12:58:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah! But it still would be neat to see the entire set.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - December 13 2017 :  10:59:10 PM

I agree with RP!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 14 2017 :  10:30:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thank You so much, Chops! Yeah, I do try to capture both pictures and videos in a certain way to make the scene appear much larger than it really is!! Kinda like an optical-illusion.

Yes, I agree, small layouts truly are a treasure, and appreciate your complements of my latest locomotive additions as well as the quality of my content. Once again, thank you for the words of encouragement!

Thank you, all TF members, for your support of RP model railroads!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2018 :  4:49:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
My latest Tyco Locomotives which have been placed into service on the Ephrata Valley Railroad - enjoy!

Tyco "Red Box Era" Pennsylvania RR F9 A&B set #9769 & #9769-B. I obtained both of these at January's train show, for 8 bucks!

Tyco "Red Box Era" Chesapeake & Ohio F7 A-A set #8015 & #8016

Tyco "Red Box Era" dummy Santa Fe "Blue Bonnet" F9A - the one in the foreground.

Edited by - RP model railroads on February 15 2018 4:51:28 PM

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - March 04 2018 :  08:29:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Great pics, I need to get some of mine. So far I have a mint Royal Blue 2-8-0 with the seperate sale box, been lubed and tested back and forth on a piece of flex track only, never even had smoke fluid in it. A near mint Silver Streak. Wanna get handrails for it. I have a second nearly new looking RB 2-8-0 that will become engine driven with can motor and gear box from a Mantua Mallet. Already swapped in the axle gear from that model to the factory Tyco axle set. On an old tymer hunt now. Mike the Aspie
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 04 2018 :  10:05:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks, Mike! I can't wait to see photos of your Tyco pieces!

By the way, this list of Tyco locomotives I have is now incomplete - due to certain "new" additions.

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - March 11 2018 :  10:00:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Here is a pic of my near mint Royal Blue 2-8-0, she needs new traction tires right now if I ever decide to run her. I have the seperate sale box and foam in really good shape as well. There was a hand rail kit offered for the C430's, I have seen them before, and might know where one is. My first trains beyond the floor trains we tend to have as really young children was 3 Tyco sets all received for Christmas 1978. I got the Silver Streak from my parents, the Midnight Special from my mom's mother and the big Royal Blue Deluxe set from Sears from my dad's parents. Wish I still had all those sets but they are long gone. But I found that nice RB to put in my display cabinet, along with a nice Sliver Streak. I am planning a wild west layout if I can find a nice near mint Bumble bee 4-8-0 in its original box. I want one that is brand new or barely run. My best friend had one of those and I always wanted one.

Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 11 2018 :  2:16:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 11 2018 :  6:09:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Really awesome, Mike!! Congratulations on owning such a great steamer!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 24 2018 :  11:16:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Video of my USA Express Alco C430 #4301, the latest addition to the locomotive roster. Enjoy: https://vimeo.com/261669077

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - March 25 2018 :  08:57:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice score on the Northern Pacific F9A and B! You seldom see them.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 25 2018 :  11:23:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
no caboose? booooo

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 25 2018 :  2:25:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I hear the D&H caboose is the most rare Tyco caboose. I
got this L&N Pemco unit for cheap, and even with its
PT motor it is so much better than its parent company,
Tyco. But try to find a L&N caboose! I ended up
getting out my paint brush and some gray paint
and mocked up my own.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 26 2018 :  07:47:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Alco Fan! Yes, I'm still working on restoring that NP pair to full operation!

Microbusss, no, I don't have the plain Tyco caboose to go with the USA Express C430.....I'm thinking a "Spirit of
'76" would match better, with the red-white-and blue pattern.

Chops, yeah, I believe the D&H caboose is one of the hardest to find....and I regret having ignored one on Ebay quite some time ago, that was cheap.......it would match my twin D&H Sharks for sure!

In regards to an L&N caboose, do you mean also made by Pemco?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 6536 numbered CN GP20 Topic Next Topic: How Rare Are These 430s?  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000