Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Auxiliary Tender for Tank Engine
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: MDC Consolidation Restore Topic Next Topic: Will the Real Jade Fog Please Stand Up?  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 01 2024 :  8:20:04 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Why would any railroad put an auxiliary tender behind a tank engine? They have a nice, compact little engine and add that length. Some have done it to extend the locomotive's range. Some have done it to keep the water in the tanks over the drivers longer for added traction.

I had an 0-6-0T that was a nice compact, powerful little puller. The side tanks are really blocks of metal putting great weight on the drivers. Unfortunately all electrical pickup was in one rigid wheelbase. If two drivers on one side were on an insulated switch frog and the third was just a hair's breadth above the rails because of some unevenness in the switch, the engine could stall.

Clearly, some more pickup wheels on a different wheel base would nearly eliminate stalling. In the real world, an auxiliary tender is a water tank. For me, it's additional electrical pickup. For something short and compact, I had in my junk box the water tank from a 3-truck Heisler. Once upon a time, I converted an AHM/Rivarossi 3-truck Heisler to a 2-truck Heisler. It was not practical to use its original Heisler wheels, because I couldn't get the worm out of the frame, so the wheels could not freely turn. Also in the junk box was an old passenger car truck without a mate. It was the perfect wheelbase and was not especially useful without a matched pair. Best use it here.

The two screws behind the cab steps are electrical terminals. The one that's grounded to the frame was easy. I just drilled and tapped a hole and put in a metal screw. The other has a nylon screw to not short the terminal to the frame. A piece of plastic holds the brass plate away from the frame, and the wire connects to the contacts on the insulated drivers.

Cosmetically, the tender got pilot steps. It's on a switch engine, and the brakeman has a place to hop on during switching moves. I also added a ladder so the fireman can get up to the hatch to fill the tank. The ladder is stamped ladder stock. The pilot steps are soldered together from scraps of brass.

The wheels have metal treads and flanges, so pickup wipers made from .010" springy phosphor bronze wire touch the backs. They're supported on brass brackets attached with a nylon screw and have a plastic spacer between them so they don't short out to each other. The same screw holds the truck to the center sill which is laminated from popsicle sticks. Flexible wires carry the power forward to spade connectors for the contacts on the locomotive.

The whole thing goes together as seen, here:

Railroads seldom lavished much ornamentation on auxiliary tenders, so it got a coat of basic black and it's locomotive's road number.

If the crews use the water from the auxiliary tank first, they can climb the ruling grade with full side tanks and lots of weight on the drivers. Here's the little beast hauling the longest likely peddler freight it'd ever have to pull.

With the added electrical pickup, there's almost no stalling, and the arcing is much reduced, allowing it to go much longer between wheel cleanings.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator 

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - January 01 2024 :  11:32:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Great solution! I’ve thought about doing the same thing with a Life-Like docksider, using a caboose. I would use the loco as a yard switcher and justify the caboose by saying the conductor needs it for paperwork.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 02 2024 :  09:04:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I’ve thought about doing the same thing with a Life-Like docksider, using a caboose.
Originally posted by gmoney - January 01 2024 :  11:32:47 PM

I've read that peddler freights doing mainline switching sometimes had the caboose next to the engine and cars trailing along behind. I'm not aware of yard switching with a caboose, but if you're thinking of the engine making up a train to take on the road, it wouldn't look out of place, at least in a short line operation.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - January 02 2024 :  3:58:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Very nice little tender . I've been wanting to make cab less slug for my Tyco plymouth switcher. It suffers from poor pickup also.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 02 2024 :  6:55:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I've been wanting to make cab less slug for my Tyco plymouth switcher. It suffers from poor pickup also.
Originally posted by Bamos - January 02 2024 :  3:58:44 PM

When you do, write it up here. It'll be fun to see.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2356  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - January 03 2024 :  09:56:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Nice Work!!
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: May 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: MDC Consolidation Restore Topic Next Topic: Will the Real Jade Fog Please Stand Up?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000