Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 MDC Consolidation Restore
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Salvaged,rebuilt,custom and kitbash projects. Topic Next Topic: Auxiliary Tender for Tank Engine  

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 14 2023 :  5:20:03 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Visits to many steam railroads and railroad museums have put a soft spot in my heart for the little off-the-shelf Baldwin consolidations that served many a branch line and shortline. The MDC old-time Consolidation catches the typical look of the type. A couple of years ago, I put one together from parts I got cheaply, and it's nice, but it didn't have the right tender and the commutators on the motor are almost worn out. This past fall, I picked up a nicer one at Hobby Recycling in Wyoming, MI.

This is missing some detail parts and the paint job and lettering are not what I want. When I test ran it, I found out that the previous owner had taken the motor apart and put it back together with the magnet upside down with the result that it ran backwards compared to other locomotives, and the magnet was a bit weakened making for poor low end torque. This was easily fixed with a stack of rare-earth magnets.

I changed the bell and whistle to ones that I thought better suited the engine. I added a headlight and backup light, an exhaust pipe for the dynamo and a roof hatch for the cab.

The bodies on these tenders are not attached and slide right off if you pick up the tender, so I glued a big chunk of plastic in the fuel bunker and drilled and tapped it for a 2-56 screw. Now I can fasten down the body.

The pilot truck, as it came, was the one for the Mogul, and didn't quite fit this engine right, creating a lot of drag. Also, the pickup wipers on the tender axles were too stiff and acted as a powerful brake on the wheels, so that the engine mostly just sat and spun its wheels. I fixed the pilot truck to work as designed for the Consolidation and to roll more freely. I made new wipers from a thinner, springier piece of phosphor bronze.

I like locomotives that practically never stall, so I modified the electrical pickup. The cover plate on the driver axles is replaced with a piece of printed circuit board. Soldered to that are pickup wipers for the insulated side drivers. They're made of springy phosphor bronze wire. The tender is changed so that its frame is grounded to the right rail, same as the engine frame, and a metal drawbar conducts electricity between the two frames. Home made springs keep a tight contact on this drawbar. They're also phosphor bronze wire.

The tender also picks up from the left rail on the front truck, and a flexible wire carries that to the locomotive. The connection for that wire to the locomotive is a dress snap. It's detachable and it pivots when the locomotive goes through curves.

I painted the engine a basic black and lettered and numbered it for my railroad. Railings, boiler bands, pop valves and the number plate are Testors Gold for a polished brass look. The smoke box is Grimy Black to give that high-temperature graphite paint look. The roof is oxide red. The side rods are brass and came painted black, but I wanted a polished steel look, so I tinned them with solder. The numbers on the number plate are from some gold numerals I have on a set of dry transfers.

A load of coal hides the big plastic block I put in the fuel bunker to fasten the attaching screw.

I'll probably lightly weather this with a bit of a patina, but first I wanted to take some pictures while it still looked brand spanking new.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

rbturner
Big Six

RBT

Posted - December 15 2023 :  07:51:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rbturner to Buddylist
Nice work Sir.
Randy
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 358  ~  Member Since: April 30 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 15 2023 :  12:22:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very nice Don. Will be interesting to see the engine's gritty complexion after many trips around its new environment.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5882  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 15 2023 :  12:59:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Fabulous narrative. Amazing outcome.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11194  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 15 2023 :  11:07:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thank you all for the kind words.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - December 17 2023 :  8:12:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Very nice loco!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 17 2023 :  9:26:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice loco!
Originally posted by gmoney - December 17 2023 :  8:12:34 PM

Thanks

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - January 04 2024 :  3:54:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
Looks very nice. Great work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 04 2024 :  6:49:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Looks very nice. Great work!

Originally posted by CNW_Productions - January 04 2024 :  3:54:09 PM

Thanks

Carpe Manana!

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 05 2024 :  12:08:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Somewhere I have one of these. It's a gutsy little engine that can pull 12 cars up my 4% grade, making it the best pulling steamer I have and putting it right up there with the diesels.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Salvaged,rebuilt,custom and kitbash projects. Topic Next Topic: Auxiliary Tender for Tank Engine  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000