Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 24 ]  [ Total: 24 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW June 20 to 26, 2022
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW: June 26th - June 2nd Topic Next Topic: LOTW JUNE 12-18, 2022  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 21 2022 :  03:19:06 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator 

C P L
Switcher

Posted - June 21 2022 :  03:37:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add C P L to Buddylist
Very nice diesel !
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: June 14 2022  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 21 2022 :  10:36:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Mikado turned Decapod

I bought this old Mantua 2-8-2 Mikado a little while ago, with a very old, beat custom job, for cheap. The tender is diecast as well, dating this Mikado to be from the 1950's.

I stripped the boiler in brake fluid - as well as the tender. At this time, I contacted DarthSantaFe and inquired as to whether he would be interested in converting the Mikado to a Decapod (2-10-0), and he took up the challenge and did a marvelous job! The 5th driver wheel set required special fabrication to the Mikado frame, which turned out absolutely amazing. He also cleaned off all of the old grease and corrosion from the frame, driver wheels, and rods, replaced the motor magnet, and painted the frame, cylinders, and driver wheels. The finished product is perfect.

Mantua really did release a 2-10-0 Decapod steam locomotive in the 1980's, but the chances of finding one perfect for customizing (that isn't an unbuilt loco kit) AND decently priced, are slim. Yes, this Decapod will be getting detailed for the Ephrata Valley Railroad, taking some inspiration in design from Western Maryland 2-10-0's.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 22 2022 :  07:27:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Does the decapod take all the curves of your layout? I'm curious about the turn radius of that longer wheel base.

Also, can we see a photograph of the underside showing how the rear axle is attached?

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on June 22 2022 07:29:49 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - June 22 2022 :  08:58:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I too am curious about how he did this conversion. And how it handles 18r curves. And especially, how much will it pull.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 22 2022 :  6:53:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
It actually takes 18" radius curves with ease since all three center axles are blind. It also handled my quad switch system surprisingly well!

I filed enough metal off from the back of the chassis and firebox to make sure there was good clearance for the rear axle. Then I 3D printed an axle support designed to hold an original Mantua brass bearing, mounted the front to the original rear truck screw hole and tapped two more screw holes in back to make sure it would be good and solid.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 22 2022 :  8:52:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Unbelievable craftsmanship! I am awestruck, cannot conceive of
attempting a project like that. Forget about fabricating a new
chassis, but getting the additional side rods in...the tolerances
must be measured in micrometers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 22 2022 :  10:13:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I'm still lobbying for a picture of that rear axle support. Cooler still would be a Darth Santa Fe video of the project if one was shot. Any such luck?
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 22 2022 :  11:28:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Sorry, I didn't do a video for this one.

The siderod tolerance was difficult to get right, but it turned out pretty well overall! Not quite perfect, but good enough to run well.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 23 2022 :  9:22:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 23 2022 :  10:00:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Thanks, RP. It's a bit different of an arrangement than I would have imagined, but a pretty clever one, too.
Carpe Manana!
  Previous Topic: LOTW: June 26th - June 2nd Topic Next Topic: LOTW JUNE 12-18, 2022  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000