Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann Plus coupler dilemma.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: GS-4 shell boiler diameter? Topic Next Topic: Surprised, My 15 Year Old Wants A Train  

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - October 12 2016 :  3:57:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I got these two in a "gift" box recently.
Both are missing the complete coupler mechanisms.
I don't want to replace those, but install something better.
Apparently, Kadee has a part to replace it, with an appropriate screw hole,
but leaves a 5 foot scale gap between units. Meh.
Has anyone retro-fitted any kind of new mounting for couplers on these?
I've considered filling and drilling with styrene, but there's very little room between truck and chassis for this
Evan

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 13 2016 :  09:28:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Kadee makes a coupler conversion specifically for Bachmann Plus that gives you a choice between 3' prototypical spacing and 5' for tight radius curves - it is #452.
Is this the Kadee you were referring to?

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - October 13 2016 :  7:18:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
That was the one.
A guy should be able to cobble something up to do the trick.
Don't you think?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - October 14 2016 :  12:00:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Just so you know, #452 requires completely shaving off the sideframe mounting tab on the outer end of the truck to achieve the scale 3 foot spacing. The sideframe must then be cemented onto the truck. Since the clearance is so tight, you might have to do the same thing even if you cobble something together.
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - October 14 2016 :  12:50:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Just so you know, #452 requires completely shaving off the sideframe mounting tab on the outer end of the truck to achieve the scale 3 foot spacing. The sideframe must then be cemented onto the truck. Since the clearance is so tight, you might have to do the same thing even if you cobble something together.

Originally posted by gmoney - October 14 2016 :  12:00:44 AM

Which is why I still haven't tried installing the #452 I have. I've not quite worked up the courage to do that sort of surgery yet!
So far, the Bachmann locomotives I have are mated to a Globe dummy unit. Globe dummy units have very close coupling, so it works out to an acceptable compromise.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: GS-4 shell boiler diameter? Topic Next Topic: Surprised, My 15 Year Old Wants A Train  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000