Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Tyco Santa Fe Alco Super 630 Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Conrail C430 Alco project Topic Next Topic: ideas on boxcab  

fritdude
Switcher

Posted - May 02 2011 :  8:52:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add fritdude to Buddylist
Tyco Santa Fe Alco Super 630 Restoration

I bought this new in 1975-76. I pulled it out of storage recently, and the paint was chipped and it no longer ran. The handrails were complete, but they were donated to another Super 630 (Chessie) that was restored. The locomotive was fully disassembled, cleaned, and repainted.

The paint is Model Master Flat Aluminum. Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red, was also used, which is a great match for the old Rivarossi red that it was painted with originally. Decals by Microscale, and weathering was done with artist oils and pastels, and then sealed with Testors Dullcote.

Couplers were replaced with Kadee, and wiring was replaced. The motor was replaced by taking from Smokie’s or Goinincirclez’ (THANKS GUYS!) idea of the Mabuchi DVD drive. I used the RF-300, which is a higher torque (4.9 gm/cm) versus the RF-400 (2.6 gm/cm), so it is a strong pull. However, this motor is 3 mm deeper, so after grinding the cast housing for diameter, it is a tight fit. (Nothing less than 24-inch radius turns from now on) The mounting assembly also had to be cut for fit.

Doing the three-axle Alco with this deeper motor revealed (duh!) another problem. The motor is so big that the center contact wheel was into the motor. I had to turn it down until the size would clear. (See the photo). So now the three-axle is an effective two, since all three must be in place for the connected gear-drive to move them all. Once this mess was resolved (never again!) it was reassembled.

The handrails are from Stewart Trains; it is the spare set for their new C630. Some modifications with 0.025 rod were required, but only in a few spots. These were touched-up, and she was tested out. It really has some amazing pull, and the speed seems much more realistic than my other Alcos.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: December 11 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 16 2017 Alert Moderator 

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - May 02 2011 :  9:32:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
Nice work!

~ Dave

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smitty9999
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - May 02 2011 :  9:35:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smitty9999 to Buddylist
That's a great write up. Your engine must run very well now.
-Matthew-
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 20  ~  Member Since: October 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - May 02 2011 :  10:17:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
That turned out awesome. I wouldn't have guessed it was repainted, it looks factory with a weathering job. if you can find the tray motors out of the bigger playstation 2 consoles, they will fit without all the extra mods you had to do to the wheels & still run on 18" radius track. I've have 5 or 6 now for a couple of years now & haven't had a failure yet. I did have to get a better power pack than the Tyco. MRC will let them crawl.

did you make the handrails?

jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

fritdude
Switcher

Posted - May 03 2011 :  4:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add fritdude to Buddylist
Thanks for the comments! The Handrails are the Stewart parts for their new Alco 630 sold by Bowser. They are not a prefect fit, either. On the ends, I used their rails, but had to replace the stanchions with scratchbuilt. Same story on the sides at the cab step. If you look at the side shot, some of the stanchions have a lean, and I didn't measure, but somewhere the spacing isn't consistent, either on the new rail or on the Tyco body. By that point (they were the last to go on) I was just glad to get the rails on!

Thanks too for the tip on the PS2 motor. If (when?) I do another, I will certainly go that way; the depth of the motor I used was just too much. I am running MRC power, and I am really pleased with the control, too. First up, though, is a Tyco GP 20 repowered with a DCC Athearn GP 35 chassis, then an old Tyco Alco 630 converted to Norfolk Southern livery.

The Santa Fe 630 that you see, after a few runs, will now be retired. Since it has been 35+ years since I saw her run, maybe I'll get it out again in another 35.

Edited by - fritdude on May 03 2011 4:44:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: December 11 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 03 2011 :  6:31:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hmm This is something I needs to do to my SF 630
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - May 04 2011 :  10:15:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
are you converting a 630 to Norfolk Southern? i did one a couple years back & sold it. it looked nice.
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

fritdude
Switcher

Posted - May 05 2011 :  08:42:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add fritdude to Buddylist
Yes; next on the bench is an Alco 630 in Norfolk and Southern. I will post photos when it is done. I bet yours did look great, Jerry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 46  ~  Member Since: December 11 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rgcw5
Hudson

conrock switcher

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:54:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send rgcw5 a Yahoo! Message  Add rgcw5 to Buddylist
that looks super cool

smokie you say the big PS2 motors are a good fit?

one of my projects is to do two 630s which will be former N&W for my friends ficticious desert belt RR

just me Ray... and just because I have Tyco doesn't mean I am not a model railroader
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 506  ~  Member Since: April 03 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 14 2011 :  9:47:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Its good To See Engines Rise From Their Ashes! I Like It When Engines Get A Second Lease On Life.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Conrail C430 Alco project Topic Next Topic: ideas on boxcab  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000