Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 26 ]  [ Total: 27 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Athearn Motive Power & Rolling Stock.
 Athearn Hustler Collector???
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Athearn Drop Blue Box Rant Thread Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4-6-2 Camelback
Page: of 2

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 15 2010 :  07:36:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Have a `91 Rio version. NOIB.

Last year made I believe.

Don't know how many I have 6-8 of various years. a couple of the Lionel Huskie's and the Lionel "Erie" centercab. I also have the Cary Boxcab kit for the Hustler...

I think three Ernst regear kits as well.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - August 30 2010 :  5:39:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
I picked up that little yellow one with the rio grande yellow box - which the DRGW unit promptly moved in to. yeah I like Hustlers
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 30 2010 :  5:47:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I wants one too Guess I'm the only one who doesn't have a Hustler
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - August 30 2010 :  6:25:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
I have the Rio Grande engines also plus a few others mostly the Lionel HO Husky engines. Here a silver 57 athearn Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 30 2010 :  10:27:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
how does the snowplow fit onto front? Is it removeable?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - August 30 2010 :  10:35:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Ben. The Snowplow has tabs that hold it on the front. It is removeable.. Carl
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - August 31 2010 :  08:33:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Did some diggin' in the catacombs last night and found 4 Athearn Hustlers.
All need new drive bands. Doh!

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - August 31 2010 :  09:41:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
Check ebay Carl. I know of one seller that sells them - or hit your local wally world and get orthodontic bands - they fit the Hi-F drives just right.Several of the Hustlers I pictured need new bands too.
Larry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 251  ~  Member Since: May 04 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - August 31 2010 :  11:32:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Thanks for the tip Sou.
I'll look for them next time I visit Wally World.

Carl T.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 31 2010 :  12:32:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey good info Will it work for the bigger Atherns? Such as my Athern F7?

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - August 31 2010 :  3:26:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
quote:
hey good info Will it work for the bigger Atherns? Such as my Athern F7?

Originally posted by microbusss - August 31 2010 :  12:32:49 PM

yes they will.
larry

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - September 07 2010 :  1:36:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
this makes 11 of the little speedsters for me and yet another hard to find one at that.

Larry

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - September 07 2010 :  1:38:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
A Lionel Navy Yard Hustler!
Nice find!

Carl T.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 07 2010 :  3:51:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*still wants one*

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 16 2010 :  07:16:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
While doing some much-needed HO home cleen-up and organization this past weekend, I found an Ernest drive kit I'd TOTALLY forgotten about, I think I bought it on Ebay some years ago. Not sure if I remember correctly, since I couldn't remember buying it , but with the memory coming back (slightly) I thought I only paid about $37 for it, considering that they normally sell for $80 or more. I remember (now) being excited that I got one of those kits for so "little". LOL. Rather complex kit, with all the little gears.
Anyway, I don't have a scanner right now, but I did make 3 sets of hard copies, in case anyone wanted to see what the kit looks like, I could snail-mail it out, doesn't cost much for USPS except to you Canucks and Aussies. :) I'll check on my camera quality, if it will take Text pics if anyone long-distance wants a copy. Only 2 pages in black and white.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 16 2010 :  09:00:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
hit your local wally world and get orthodontic bands

nope sorry can't get them anymore & I NEED some

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - October 04 2010 :  2:31:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
Here's most likely the rarest of them all. My collection is near complete (and I have all of the really rare ones now)
Larry

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - October 07 2010 :  11:54:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
I was tinkering with the above Allied unit earlier and several others that needed new drive bands. Ive come to the conclusion that I really like the first generation Hustlers better. The older ones have the wire connecting to the motor from the frame versus that metal contact strip that the later ones have. I guess the newer units might have a better motor but its easier to change out bands and have them up and running quicker with the older ones. I *may* buy another cheap one in good condition simply to redo it with an Ersnt gear kit just to try out all variations. Both my Lionel units still have working headlights but both need wheel cleaning and run very jerky with sputtering and stopping. The Allied unit runs like it should: a mini bat out of hell on wheels.
Larry

PS *update* did said wheel cleaning on Lionel Rio Grande. Runs like it is new again.

Edited by - SOU2645 on October 08 2010 2:21:52 PM

cicsos2
Little Six

SF Num 1108

Posted - October 14 2010 :  11:34:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cicsos2 to Buddylist
I have just acquired a Navy Yard Hustler with the work caboose (minus work bins). It came as part of a bin of HO cars and stuff which the owner put away several years ago. It is a rubber band drive, my first, and the bands are long gone. So, one question is - how did these fit around the wheels and the drive shafts? The drive shafts are a bit rusty but it does turn.

Cheers
Bill

Cheers
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 122  ~  Member Since: May 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: July 29 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Helm
Little Six

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - October 14 2010 :  11:57:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Helm to Buddylist
Just to reiterate something I picked up here on the forum, I don't see it mentioned recently. I've had good luck with "Goodie" rubber bands from the hair products department of my local gro store - by the hair pins and barrettes. There's a variety of sizes in the package for around a dollar. They work fine in my hustlers and RDCs.

BTW - Rarest? A couple weeks ago at a show I saw a hustler with a rotary snow plow on the front which rotated with the motor. The guy wanted like over $100 for it - way too rich for me! Wish I'd taken a picture of it though - Rio Grande I think.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 138  ~  Member Since: October 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 15 2010 :  6:40:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Helm. There is only 2 Rotary Husky Snowblowers made that I'm aware of... One was made by Lionel HO 0561 M & St.L Made 1959-60. Here is the one I had.

The other was made by me.

Before I sold the Lionel snowblower I had. I took it apart and figured out how to make it using a Athearn Hustler and Other parts. I used the Lionel Gear Drive and just like the Lionel version the Blade turns as the engine moves around. Have been making them for years. Here is a picture of the finished product.. Getting harder to make, can't get the Hustler shells and Rotary Parts..

Edited by - VintageHO on October 15 2010 6:49:44 PM

cmgnnut
Switcher

Posted - October 16 2010 :  11:21:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cmgnnut to Buddylist
What all parts do you need to build them. I have a few stashed away but no drives
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 63  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - January 16 2011 :  11:02:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist

Here's two more I picked up yesterday. Red in original box from c.1957-58 and a first generation Bronze from the mid 60's (yellow box). Ive noticed in comparing the early runs from later ones that the colors tend to be brighter on early ones - the yellow and red are especially noticeably brighter shaded -however the early Bronze is more copper colored (true Bronze) versus the later ones which take on a more Gold appearance.
Larry

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 16 2011 :  11:13:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey how hard would it be to build these IRL? I'd build one standard gauge & one 3ft & 2ft gauges

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - January 16 2011 :  11:21:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
this is one athearn never had or seen here in uk,would love one ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - January 22 2011 :  10:26:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Hi Carl,
I live in Canada the land of the snow. Would love to have one if you have any for sale!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 22 2011 :  11:08:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Carl,
I live in Canada the land of the snow. Would love to have one if you have any for sale!!!!!!!!!!!
Ken

Originally posted by Ken - January 22 2011 :  10:26:18 PM

There are two M&SL for sale on Ebay, both minus the blower, but the correct shell.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

TKRR
Switcher

MM41

Posted - January 23 2011 :  01:43:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add TKRR to Buddylist
I have a spare black/gray #56 shell and chassis, without guts. It's clean and has all details intact, but I don't have the necessary parts to restore it. If anyone's interested, I'll post some pics in the Trading Post.
-TKRR
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 72  ~  Member Since: January 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 20 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - January 23 2011 :  1:54:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Ken. Right now I have only my Original prototype. The problem I have is that to make then I need a small list of Items.
The list contains Parts that are No longer Made and getting them, is getting harder and more costly.
I was trying to use other engines like Marx/Model Power engine and tried using the original Hustler rubber band Drive. But, nothing works better then the Lionel Husky drive. It is gear driven and has the power to run and turn the Rotary blade. Plus less work as the drive was used for the original Lionel version. I was fortunate to have a Husky snow blower to see how it worked close up.. It was easy to make one, once I figured out the parts needed..

The list is:
1) The Main Item is a Lionel HO Husky Drive or complete engine. Since the Husky has a Collector's Value, it is getting harder to get them cheaply. These were easy to find years ago for about $15- $20. Now they go for $40 and up depending on condition..

2) Athearn Hustler Shell (Can use the Lionel Husky Shell..)
I used Athearn shells because at the time you could get them undecorated, cheaply. Not so anymore... since Athearn stopped making Hustlers and parts for them many years ago.

3) Athearn Rotary Snow Blower.. This a Kit you will need to use some of the
parts from. The left over parts can be used for other projects. You can also use one that you might find put together. Just have to take it a part...
These are getting hard to find. These can run $10 and up for one depending on condition. Kits are going for $15 and up... Athearn stopped making them in kit form years ago. Now the Made in China RTR versions sell for $30-40

4) Miscellaneous Small parts that are easy to find...

As you can see depending on the total cost of the parts, it is getting high in price. When you add something for the time and labor and you have a project with a $100 price tag.
Not something everyone wanted to spend. But given the other option of buying a Lionel or Brass unit. It is a Cheap price, as a Husky Rotary Snow Blower in fair condition goes for $200 plus and Brass.. ?? Forget about it...

Anyway, if you can find the parts inexpensively, you can make one for a lot less...

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - January 23 2011 :  3:05:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
1) The Main Item is a Lionel HO Husky Drive or complete engine. Since the Husky has a Collector's Value, it is getting harder to get them cheaply. These were easy to find years ago for about $15- $20. Now they go for $40 and up depending on condition..

2) Athearn Hustler Shell (Can use the Lionel Husky Shell..)
I used Athearn shells because at the time you could get them undecorated, cheaply. Not so anymore... since Athearn stopped making Hustlers and parts for them many years ago.

Complete Hustlers in mint condition are getting 30+ dollars on ebay too. A silver one like pictured here went for 57 dollars the other day and there's a yellow on there (late run) new in the box thats up to 61 dollars...

Larry

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - February 28 2011 :  3:40:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist

Here's both the Athearn Hustler and Lionel Husky together for comparison.
Larry

cmgnnut
Switcher

Posted - February 28 2011 :  4:40:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cmgnnut to Buddylist
Been buying a bunch now where do I find the rubber driver for the snow blades that runs on the gear drive Lionel I have all the other parts
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 63  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 08 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 28 2011 :  7:23:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I got one! $1! Rio Grande

Aside the missing rubber bands I think it missing the contacts
Ok this one don't count since it O scale but the Hustler is on it

Edited by - microbusss on February 28 2011 7:25:09 PM

SOU2645
Big Six

Posted - March 01 2011 :  10:04:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SOU2645 to Buddylist
That being a first generation Hustler it should have a wire connecting from the motor to the front coupler pocket. Here is a spare chassis I have with the same motor as yours.
Larry

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 01 2011 :  6:27:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
mmm nope it don't Darn Don't even have the metal plate that covers the coupler

Oh well What do you expect for $1?

cmgnnut
Switcher

Posted - March 01 2011 :  8:10:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cmgnnut to Buddylist
Still a good deal
Edited by - cmgnnut on March 01 2011 8:10:47 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - March 04 2011 :  11:38:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Anyone else not think the loco in the pic is an Athearn Hustler?

-G.

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 20 2014 :  02:43:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Guys:

Just out of curiosity are there any other bon-fide members of the Athearn Hustler Collecting Cult!!!???[Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!]

Just wanted to ask. I have 4 currently. Planning to MU two back to back with a coupling to wire the two motors in Series and allow 8 wheel drive/pick-up! They will be regeared with Ernst regear/flywheel kits. Mybe repower we'll see.

Cheers,
Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - January 07 2007 :  5:46:23 PM

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 20 2014 :  02:45:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Guys:

Just out of curiosity are there any other bon-fide members of the Athearn Hustler Collecting Cult!!!???[Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!] [Yes!]

Just wanted to ask. I have 4 currently. Planning to MU two back to back with a coupling to wire the two motors in Series and allow 8 wheel drive/pick-up! They will be regeared with Ernst regear/flywheel kits. Mybe repower we'll see.

Cheers,
Gareth

Heck yeah, Hustle me baby! Drop me a PM and we can trade notes. Rubberband drive: there is no equal!

JMcNeal
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 20 2014 :  02:49:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Guys:

Cheers,
Gareth

Nothing like rubber band drive! Hustle me baby!

JMcNeal

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 20 2014 :  09:48:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Did some diggin' in the catacombs last night and found 4 Athearn Hustlers.
All need new drive bands. Doh!

Carl T.

Originally posted by choochin3 - August 31 2010 :  08:33:44 AM

Here's the link to some good replacements. One guy on the forum gave the link to me and said that he had some of them on for 5 years and show no sign of deterioration.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goody-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Clear-3-Different-Sizes/12018417

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 21 2014 :  5:51:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
My Athearn Hustler with Ernst gear drive is kept busy on the LC&P
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 21 2014 :  5:57:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
This little critter worked for the Crab Orchard and Egyptian, lousy photo but it looks like a Hustler.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 867  ~  Member Since: December 21 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 08 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

metalsmith1
Big Boy

REAAvatar

Posted - March 24 2014 :  01:40:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add metalsmith1 to Buddylist
Neat discovery...those snowplow pilots for Hustlers fit right on a Dockside without any modifications
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Athearn Drop Blue Box Rant Thread Topic Next Topic: Mantua 4-6-2 Camelback  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000