Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Do I win yet? ( He who dies with the most trains)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: PRR + NY Central = Happy Memories Topic Next Topic: Complete Tyco List?
Page: of 2

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 02 2014 :  5:31:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Amazing group of photos sent in by our fellow modelers. My collection
of O, HO and N scale train equipment is very small in comparison.
Would be interesting if others can show updated photos of their collection.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - March 03 2014 :  12:24:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
All of a sudden, I don't feel so bad:)
I have tons of train stuff, about 150 model kits in all scales, my old gijoe collection and old systems video game collection. Glad I'm not alone here.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 03 2014 :  1:37:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
believe me you not alone,sean frank myself and a few others,are what most would claim to be hoarders but its a harmless hobby ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 27 2019 :  12:52:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some interesting collections. Mine is fortunately far less. Easy for inventory checkup.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5845  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 27 2019 :  08:22:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Alright, I guess this is the place to share your messes, uh, I mean, collections.

This is my workbench, situated in the corner of the house. All my projects are here. I use the rolly chair to scoot around. I usually work on Brian's locos and boxcars here.

This is a small table next to my workbench (obviously the bookshelf full of train books is in the middle) that has the loco trays and boxcars from brian. The blue basket is full of filming props for my series. Mainly buildings, but I have the grass mats on top.

Now in my room, which isn't a mess (thankfully), we have my bookcase, which displays my collection. Obviously, some engines aren't there, those are still being worked on, but heres most of it. My dad is getting me another shelf to put more stuff on. And yes, my room is decorated with train memorabilia! You may notice the lionel GS-4 which is in pieces, and the BL-2 shell, who's chassis is at the workbench trying to get Blomberg trucks on. You may see the big "Blue" microphone, which is also for the series.

Also in my closet at the top, those big bins are full of heavy rocks, gravel mixes, weathering powders, trees, clump foliage, tons of props and scenery. Those are all for the series as well.

Heres Tivvelton Scrap Yards, a display area for my scrapped locos or ones awaiting restoration. A bit of a sad fate, to go to Tivvelton, but some get resurrected...

And a picture of my collection. 5 years isn't much, and I'm sure I'm being laughed at by the other members, but I'm trying not to overload.

Hope you enjoyed the tour!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 13 2020 :  8:18:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some nice collections.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 13 2020 :  9:10:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
dang, time flies. I'll have to update what my different areas look like today
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 07 2022 :  02:15:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

It has been over a year and a half since the last post.
Country has reopened with more business being conducted.
Safe to go back to train stores and shows.
Anyone else have increased their collections recently?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 07 2022 :  11:24:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

It has been over a year and a half since the last post.
Country has reopened with more business being conducted.
Safe to go back to train stores and shows.
Anyone else have increased their collections recently?
Originally posted by wks - July 07 2022 :  02:15:48 AM

yeah I found a few HO Lionel cars for $5
already posted them in LOTW & COTW already

EDIT: since my last pic of my boxes under the stairs I have since moved to a bigger house next door

Edited by - microbusss on July 07 2022 11:27:49 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 22 2023 :  9:31:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some nice collections.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 20 2023 :  4:56:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

"I figured I'd show my collection storage, workshop, layout, and lounge areas.

I don't mean this as an attempt to show off or up, or say mine is the right way. But hopefully there's a few insights some of you can use. If not, share your own!"

1) The famous (ha) Saint Canard Midland Railway in the new (2008+) basement. One reason I don't stage as many photos as before is, try as I may, I just cannot get the lighting right. It's much improved from when I moved in - the false ceiling and track lighting helps - but far from ideal, or even workable on some days. Plus I have too many other improvements to make, like relocating the washer / dryer service, etc before I can really finish the space off. The white sheet is a lint barrier to keep dryer-spew off the layout. For now, it's about making do. The old microwave cart is used for rotating active stock off the layout as whim and necessity strike. My roster of custom-painted STC equipment is stored there for now as well.

2) The STC's East Frankfort Shops ;) All modeling is done in this space, save painting and heavy persuasion (like on the Gilbert F-unit) which is done in the household garage/shop.

The workbench, baker's rack, green toolbox, and even the Hi-Fi are all freebie dumpster dives. (The Hi-Fi is a 1956 Zenith I repaired, recapped, and restored last December - it ROCKS!). The baker's rack holds paints, decals, and other decorating tools. The workbench drawers hold my stash of Tyco parts, modeling tools, and other bits. The corkboard is useful for detail packages and reference photos; the lazy suzan is another "freebie" that holds works in progress, etc. Right now the bench is messy as I sort and evaluate a bulk pack of unpainted Model Power figures for my "Zombie Module".

3) The main layout-stock stash under the STC: approximately 400+ freight cars, 100+ locos, and a ton of HO scale vehicles and random scenic implements. The assortment of plastic totes probably cost about $75 in total - which, as the price of a locomotive or a few secondhand purchases, is a no-brainer. Keeps things dry and must-free, and easily visible too!

Yes, this is a ridiculous amount of rolling stock for a 4x8, but ALL of it has been on the layout at one point or another... and YOU try growing up in the largest freight yard in Chicago without "wanting everything you see"... I think I've done OK. My rule is my whole "layout" collection has to fit under the layout (even the stuff staged elsewhere could, but lucky convenience allows me to indulge a bit on that space). I consider the Tyco (and "collectible" RTR) stash a separate entity, and one that should never get bigger than this.

4) This wall is in kind of an odd place, so the small table serves as a staging area for new acquisitions and soon-to-be projects (as well as some completed ones). The B&O sign is an authentic 3x3 foot B&O Trailer Service logo placard I made, after I donated the actual (original) one to the B&O Museum in Baltimore. They made it worth my while ;) My repro is a plate of stainless with a vinyl printout applied.

As for my room through the door there, more on that later.

5) The "collectible trains" and "hobby supply shop" are located nearby. The wood shelving was extant when we bought the house, and is an uncannily perfect fit for everything! The large cardboard boxes on the left hold layout supplies: track, foam, scenery materials, structures (built and unbuilt), etc. The shelving is not exclusively for trains - the left column behind the supply stack is household goods, the row of plastic totes is holiday decor, the bottom left houses the sole remnants of my Nascar collection.

6) Shelving closeup. Those paper crates are AWESOME - they fit individual boxed RTR cars perfectly. Elevate 'em off the floor, re-use some silica packets to keep any ambient moisture at bay, and you're good to go.

I keep an assortment of ziploc bags and labels handy to assist with storage and sorting.

Cars are grouped by type, not by year. I'm often comparing production and variation evolution across catalogs and eras, so this makes the most sense for me.

7) Example of "long" (50', 62') RTR cars stored in paper crates. You can stack them 6 deep this way... note the paper crate is just a tad too wide, but this small space at the end is perfect for placing your fingers in to lift boxes out (or peer at labels). As I said: you can't do any better than these boxes, and they're FREE!

8) And the short (40' or less) ones. Turn them vertically and labels are easy to read, and you still have space at the top for unboxed (and boxed) samples.

The long loco boxes (C630, etc) will also fit lengthwise in these crates...

9) Of course I have some overflow... the Tyco collection is too big to fit in my allotted shelf space. Boxes labeled and stacked neatly, with contents grouped, make things super easy to find. I use spare lids on the bottom of loco crates due to their weight.

10) And some more miscellaneous overflow. The small plastic totes in the narrow shelf house my N-scale collection for club use. The large tub on the floor is another "project stock" box. Other stuff includes things set aside for sale/trade/ebay, general paint and craft supplies, and a small stash of autoracks and such to build.

11) The display in my office/den. Selected finished models, favorite collectible pieces, and some photos and awards. Gaps are actually on the layout... as I said, I do try to use everything I own.

See the neon reflection...?

12) "You can take the boy out of the city..." and he'll spend silly money on a nice neon reminder of his hometown. The trains in the case next to it are mostly Chicago-themed.

My better, honest half is visible outside the door, watching movies on hep laptop. The couch faces the STC layout: turn down the lights save the GIC-Tyco clock, get a train rolling, turn on the Hi-Fi, pour a beverage, and it's a pretty swanky little lounge area ;)

13) And the portal by which my rambling inanity spews forth to punish the internet at large."

Originally posted by spiderj76 on February 28 2011 

Always cool to see vintage items.

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - December 20 2023 :  9:01:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
a "film noir" take on my current work spaces

Rosebud is in my outer shed with other "stuff" Just can NOT get this organized Watch for pics of recent aquisitions
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 21 2023 :  01:43:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah, wks I agree & heck I even have a old box of Tide that shows what slogan goes around the Tide logo since he put in "unknown slogan"
which is "America's Favorite"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 21 2023 :  2:01:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Roooosssssebud.... . That really does say it all, doesn't it? For all our achievements, trials, and tribulations,
we still seek the elemental pleasures of youth.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 21 2023 :  3:03:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Roooosssssebud.... . That really does say it all, doesn't it? For all our achievements, trials, and tribulations,
we still seek the elemental pleasures of youth.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: PRR + NY Central = Happy Memories Topic Next Topic: Complete Tyco List?  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000