Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Very Odd - Production or Modified?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: What am I looking at, here? Topic Next Topic: I have never seen this  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  7:54:55 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Mantua 2-10-0 Decapod. Not too sure about this one, looking for some insight. It looks odd with the last pair of drivers set so far back behind the curtain. Also, the Mantua stamp on the bottom plate looks to be of the later (newer) years. The screws look new and that crossbar doesn't look production. You would think Mantua would have deemed it fit to have a boiler design just for this drive. The drive mechanism and motor appear, from what I can see, to be Mantua. I don't see any cuts/welds in the base plate. I'm not sure about any of this, what do you all think?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  8:01:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
You know, that's not even a Tyco or Mantua boiler, is it?

Scratch that, definately a Tyco-Mantua Mikado boiler.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - February 04 2011 :  8:09:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Todd. That is a Mantua / Tyco Boiler and from I see the last driver is behind the shirts...
So I guess it is correct.. Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 04 2011 :  8:18:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Yes, you're right, on most examples I was able to find they are behind the skirt. This one just seems so far back. It just doesn't look like a decapod other than the wheel configuration. The boilers on most were definatly longer, not that Tyco was ever a rivet counting company.

Another thing I just noticed is that the last axle is different than the rest. There are definatly more spokes on that axle set than any of the others. You would think they would use the same flanged wheelset they used up front.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 05 2011 :  09:06:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Hello Todd
* Nice find Todd !
* Yep you got a Tyco-Mantua decapod. That is the boiler that was used for it. The same boiler as the Mike. It is amazing that the one motor was used to power the entire line from 0-4-0, to 2-10-0. Performance on the decapod did suffer from this. The location of axel mounted drive gear was wrong. With 5 axels the center should have been used. Mantua got lazy and used the Mikado gear location. Saved alot on machining new die. They just modified a Mike drive at the rear to accept a fifth axel. Loco wasn't made to many years.
* Dont let the drive dry out. Keep it lubed. It will work just fine.
farnk

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 05 2011 09:10:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - February 05 2011 :  09:59:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Mantua released an Alton Southern 10 wheel switcher using the same frame in 1992 (Mikado boiler). A Chicago & Illinois Midland , H-1, 2-10-2 was cataloged in 1992 (Pacific boiler).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

SABRR
Switcher

Posted - February 05 2011 :  10:38:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add SABRR to Buddylist
That exact unit is on eBay right now for $124.99. Much too much to ask for. It's on a 30 day auction cycle. I'll be surprised if it sells.
Ship it Texas on the Lone Star Route!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: November 07 2010  ~  Last Visit: December 09 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 05 2011 :  9:46:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Thanks guys, that ends the mystery for me anyways.

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - September 22 2011 :  8:50:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Looks Like Modified To Me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 23 2011 :  04:10:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Only seen 3 of those on eBay in the last 4-5 months! Its a rare bird!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 23 2011 :  07:05:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The tires on those last drivers would expand and fall right off, given that they're inside the firebox.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - July 24 2020 :  5:21:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
That is not the original tender the tender on these Mantua 2-10-0s was a very small one like on the 2-6-6-2 however I think that long haul tender looks much better this one appears to have been built from a kit.
Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on July 24 2020 7:18:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 24 2020 :  6:23:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
That is not the original tender the tender on these Mantua 2-10-0s was a very small one like on the 2-6-6-2 however I think that long haul tender looks much better just want appears to have been built from a kit.

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - July 24 2020 :  5:21:58 PM

Yes, looks to be kitbuilt. The later Mantua had the small tender, this is an earlier one.

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 24 2020 6:24:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: What am I looking at, here? Topic Next Topic: I have never seen this  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000