Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Shifter ltd headlamp?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Re motor Tyco Topic Next Topic: Need replacement motors for US1 trucks  

beefovail
Switcher

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 05 2011 :  9:20:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add beefovail to Buddylist
Hello All. Newoldbee here.
Need some help with my "new" redbox Shifter Limited engine. I took it apart for lube and cleaning and found it has a headlamp which I was not aware of. However, the wire is just there, not attached to anything. Can someone direct me where it attaches to power up? I tried to take a photo, but it is not real clear.

Thanks for your help.

Keith
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: January 04 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2011 Alert Moderator 

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 06 2011 :  10:13:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
It attaches to the screw that hold the brush retaining springs on the motor.

If you need a pic let me know and I will ost it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

beefovail
Switcher

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 06 2011 :  1:26:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add beefovail to Buddylist
Thank you. I thought it was a ground wire......but always better to be sure. It looks as though it was never hooked up. Maybe that was an option for the owner? I didn't even know it had a light and the box did not mention it had one. I bought the whole set in the original box.
If the lamp does not light up is the bulb replaceable?

Thanks again

Keith
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: January 04 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 06 2011 :  8:19:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
The bulb is replaceable. The holder pushes out towards the front and the bulb can be removed. Some Hobby stores sell replacements.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

beefovail
Switcher

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 06 2011 :  9:33:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add beefovail to Buddylist
I put the wire under the brass plate and put it back together......no light. Is the bulb holder supposed to touch the brush plate to obtain power? I put the transformer wires to the bulb holder and the wire and the lamp lit up, so I know it works.
Thanks

Keith
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4  ~  Member Since: January 04 2011  ~  Last Visit: January 10 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 07 2011 :  11:52:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
The wire can be soldered to the front post for the brush spring. It can also be inserted under the screw that holds the brush plate. The screw that holds the boiler to the frame may complete the circuit when everything is re-attached, that maybe the cuase for it not working.

beefovail
Switcher

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 07 2011 :  12:12:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add beefovail to Buddylist
I found it kind of interesting while looking around hoseeker.net and looking at the trains offered in 1965, nothing was said about this particular engine being lighted??? Also looking thru the parts diagrams there was no headlamp?? Guess I've got a rare engine. I think the black wire is a ground wire and I'm thinking of running a jumper power wire to the screw that holds the boiler assm. on. Am I on the right track?

Keith

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - January 07 2011 :  12:50:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
looking at the trains offered in 1965, nothing was said about this particular engine being lighted??? Also looking thru the parts diagrams there was no headlamp?? I think the black wire is a ground wire and I'm thinking of running a jumper power wire to the screw that holds the boiler assm. on. Am I on the right track?

Keith

Originally posted by beefovail - January 07 2011 :  12:12:50 PM

Could be someone used the lamp out of another engine,and never finished converting it. Is there a wire soldered to the back of the bulb? If not, most of my TYco engines have had a wire directly soldered to the center electrode of the bulb, so if it burnt out,and someone replaced it, they didn't resolder another wire to it ( didn't have a soldering iron?). So another reason it's not working. I think on later TYco engines, the bracket was screwed to one of the power connections, depending on the engine configuration. I would tend to think that the diagram is more correct, and either power appeared later in production, or it was added later and never finished properly. My guess, anyway.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Re motor Tyco Topic Next Topic: Need replacement motors for US1 trucks  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000