Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Recycling , train testbed from electronic keyboard
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Recent Finds Topic Next Topic: mantua general wood load  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 19 2010 :  7:01:35 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I have had an old Casiotone 450 electronic keyboard kicking around, and spent part of the day Saturday trying to troubleshoot it. Had one bad solder connection, but still didn't work after fixing that, so in the end, after researching it, decided to scrap it. Looking at the base, it has a 6 D-cell compartment, so I started thinking....HMM. Could it be used for a battery powered test track? Lets find out! I'd bought 8 batteries for it already, because I didn't have any power packs for it. So, after removing the back, I mounted a strip of Homasote inside, and nailed down some steel track pieces and one rerailer. With 6 D cells it will definitely power locomotives! I tried the FL9, the Hustlers, and some others I had around, and they all took off. Unfortunately, I don't have a power switch on it yet, and twice the wires contacted each other, and it melted one end of the battery compartment while I was away from it. Darn! Luckily there's a slot to put the contact spring in in front of the melted area, so I can still use it. I'll just take the 6th battery out until i can wire that in. But it does make a nice portable test bed for motive power. Not sure how long batteries will last ( especially when they short out! ), but it looks like it'll work ok. Maybe with rechargeables and a safety disconnect, it should work fine. Here's some pics of it.

One more useless thing gone, and something useful taking it's place. Woo-hoo!

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 19 2010 :  7:46:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
very nice Do they even make a thing to put on the track with wheels to let your loco run?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14696  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 19 2010 :  8:31:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Do they even make a thing to put on the track with wheels to let your loco run?

Originally posted by microbusss - December 19 2010 :  7:46:10 PM

You mean in place? Not on the track itself, but there are HO powered test stands out there, but because they're precision made to match the wheelbase of steam engines, etc. they're about $200+, some much higher. I've seen them, but not in my price range, or need. I just thought it'd be nice to have a portable, non-cord train test bed. Not sure how much I'll use it, but since the keyboard was trash anyway, I'll keep this part around awhile and see how it works for me.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

farace
Switcher

NYNHHavatar

Posted - December 19 2010 :  9:58:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add farace to Buddylist
Sure they do. Check this out:

http://www.micromark.com/HO-and-On30-LOCOMOTIVE-ROLLERS-ASSEMBLED-SET-OF-4,8274.html

Still not cheap, but a heckuva lot cheaper than that dedicated test stand.

Sure looks useful, though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 70  ~  Member Since: January 20 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 06 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - December 20 2010 :  12:34:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
You might want to treat yourself to some bumpers, so your engine doesn't go flying off the end of the track. Atlas makes some nice ones.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 20 2010 :  02:10:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
You might want to treat yourself to some bumpers, so your engine doesn't go flying off the end of the track. Atlas makes some nice ones.

Originally posted by AF Kid - December 20 2010 :  12:34:42 AM

Yeah, I know! I've got a pair somewhere, need to dig them out and put them on.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Recent Finds Topic Next Topic: mantua general wood load  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000