Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 28 ]  [ Total: 28 ]  [ Newest Member: Chutem ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Oct. 10-16
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Oct 24-Oct 30, 2010 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Oct 3rd-Oct 9th 2010  

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - October 10 2010 :  11:45:46 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Is it a loco? It is cool, my Bachmann Trackster Jeep...

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 10 2010 :  12:00:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
nice one shay love it,mine is a revell,which has a box full of ball bearings which is connected to the worm drive,and is supposed to give it a chuff chuff sound, ken

Edited by - catfordken on October 10 2010 4:39:50 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 10 2010 :  12:16:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
another I needs to find at show Them Tracksters Hope I get lucky
I likes that loco ken & am 500 miles from Omaha too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14698  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 10 2010 :  8:58:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
My 1961 Rivarossi B&O 0-4-0 Shifter with sprung trucks and ball bearing motor that I bought at a train show early this year.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 10 2010 :  10:28:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Love the Tracksters. Wish I had some. Here's a Tyco that I got in an ebay lot this week. Can somebody tell me a little about it? I assume it's older.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 10 2010 :  11:58:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Here's my new LifeLike docksider. It still isn't running very well, but it does look good.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3327  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - October 11 2010 :  04:12:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
Tracksters make me giggle 'cause they're quirky and cool. I like the little shifters and docksters to! For LOTW, I chose something as old as me:

The Alco Century Special! Smooth, quiet and powerful, this 8WD Mehano is none of those things. However, what's of most interest about the big 'n raucous Santa Fe Superfleet C628 is its inclusion among Tyco's last sets, replacing their own C630. Not Quite Tyko, I reckon.

That is me, checking out my sharp suit in the reflection on my shiny new '69 Camaro.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 11 2010 :  06:31:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi b77 its a little six,about 1955,i have one but it does not have the full stops between the name tyco,and should be all diecast construction ken
http://www.hoseeker.net/tycoinformation/tycocatalog50page1.jpg

Edited by - catfordken on October 11 2010 06:37:27 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 11 2010 :  8:58:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Since Ken showed his Penn Line connie last week. I will post my Penn Line E6 Atlantic. Factory Painted and lettered this week.. Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 12 2010 :  01:23:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
B77, I like that side tanker of yours. I've never seen one with full valve gear. Does anyone know if they were sold that way (either as RTR or kits), or was that someone's addition?
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 12 2010 :  07:02:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi nickleplate this should help you with the valve gear question,ken
http://www.hoseeker.net/mantuainformation/mantuacatalog1960pg02.jpg
/tyco/forum/uploaded/catfordken/20101014104848_tyco.jpg

mine has seen better days but will not repaint it yet

Edited by - catfordken on October 14 2010 10:54:48 AM

architrains
Switcher

Super Chief Wreck

Posted - October 12 2010 :  3:29:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add architrains to Buddylist
Love all the small steamers this week! I always have a soft spot for the small engines. Probably why I've become a narrow gauge nut recently...

Here's one of mine outside during a photo-op several years ago:

Ken, how does the Revell saddletank run? I like the lines of those engines, but I worry if I got one I'd end up having to rebuild it or plop a new chassis underneath...

--Rio Grande--Thru the Rockies
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: November 20 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 12 2010 :  3:37:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi architrains,runs ok once you get the box of bearing balanced correctly on the worm drive,there is an adjustable screw with a spring on either end with box in centre,sounds complicated but once you take body off and look you will see what i mean,ken

Edited by - catfordken on October 12 2010 3:45:54 PM

architrains
Switcher

Super Chief Wreck

Posted - October 12 2010 :  4:01:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add architrains to Buddylist
Cool! Always wondered how that "box of rocks" worked.

Next time I see one on eBay I'll have to think a little more seriously about contemplating the possibility of maybe buying one...

--Rio Grande--Thru the Rockies
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: November 20 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 12 2010 :  11:05:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Archi, here are some photos of my Revell 0-6-0 with the shell off.

The shaker is flicked by a cam on the center axle, just like the smoke unit plunger on the Tyco 2-8-0's. I keep it out of the loco, though, because the noise is ridiculous, and it causes uneven low speed performance and increased side rod wear. I've installed a can motor and added a wiper for the center insulated driver for better performance. This one had a weak Pittman style open frame motor that was too erratic.

The Tyco Depot

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 12 2010 :  11:13:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Wow, that's quite a sound system.

Thanks for the info, catfordken. I thought that's what it was, it just looked too "new" at first. I'm slowly getting it running better. Right now it will run, but slow...so more cleaning and lube in the future. I'm still very happy since it was the "extra" in a box of BL2's that I got for five bucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 13 2010 :  09:15:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A explination of the drive, chug, and smoke system on the revell 0-6-0t Omaha.

The Revell 0-6-0t Omaha and its operating features. This explanation is aimed at the chug sound producing device within the locomotive model. The smoke explanation is more basic.
This locomotive has both smoke and chugging sound made from two separate devices driven by a 12 volt electric motor that provides motion to the model.
Of the three axles in the drive, the rear axle is used as the driving axle. A geared connection here from the motor shafts worm gear to the axel mounted drive gear transfers motion from motor to axel to turn the rear axle. side rods connecting all three axels gives motion to the entire drive.
The center axel has a one tooth gear, a eccentric gear, that once a revolution of the axle come in contact with the chug sound producing unit. This chugger will work in either forward or reverse. This chugger slides on a front to rear horizontal shaft centered by springs. The chugger is a plastic box containing BB's, small steel balls. If shaken the device makes a sound like to a chug. The motion of the eccentric one tooth gear engages with the chugger moving it in one direction, forward or reverse until it loses contact with the chugger releasing it to be snapped back to center by the pressure of the springs, producing a single chug sound. This goes on and on with each revolution of the drive axels producing one chug sound for each revolution of the drive wheels. So here is a synchronized sound system producing one sound for one revolution of the drive wheels on the steam locomotive model train.
The smoke system is also a synchronized system producing a puff of smoke for each back and forth motion, of each piston connected main driving rod. There are two driving rods. One on each side so two puff of smoke are produced for each revolution of the drive wheels.
So why wasn't a second tooth added to the eccentric gear to produce a matching two chugs to two puffs of smoke?
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 14 2010 11:36:38 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LIGuy45
Switcher

Posted - October 13 2010 :  2:07:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LIGuy45 to Buddylist
quote:
Love the Tracksters. Wish I had some. Here's a Tyco that I got in an ebay lot this week. Can somebody tell me a little about it? I assume it's older.

Originally posted by burlington77 - October 10 2010 :  10:28:42 PM

Your Tyco engine has the optional valve gear installed. Valve gear for the little and big sixes were available separtely. I don't remember if they were made by Mantua or Kemtron. You have a nice engine for your collection!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 39  ~  Member Since: July 14 2006  ~  Last Visit: February 06 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 13 2010 :  2:17:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi LIGuy45 like i said earlier,extra valve gear was made by mantua,although others may also have made extra valve gear kits ken

Edited by - catfordken on October 13 2010 2:18:47 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 13 2010 :  4:32:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
hi LIGuy45 like i said earlier,extra valve gear was made by mantua,although others may also have made extra valve gear kits ken

Originally posted by catfordken - October 13 2010 :  2:17:30 PM

Here you see the Mantua valve gear thanks to Ken. Another company was Central Valley.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - October 14 2010 :  10:21:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Engines/Locos with the TYCO name on them I think pre-date 1961. The 0-6-0 you have is uncommon as I have seen only one other and I bought that at the Ag Hall train show a year ago. You rarely see them on Ebay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 14 2010 :  10:50:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
While looking for another item I found I still had the 0-6-0T Booster with the T.Y.C.O. on the side with Full valve Gear... Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - October 14 2010 :  8:28:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
quote:
Engines/Locos with the TYCO name on them I think pre-date 1961. The 0-6-0 you have is uncommon as I have seen only one other and I bought that at the Ag Hall train show a year ago. You rarely see them on Ebay.

Originally posted by AF Kid - October 14 2010 :  10:21:31 AM

That's really cool to know, especially since I was actually bidding on the BL2s that came with it. Just shows there are still bargains on ebay.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 15 2010 :  11:38:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
hi nickleplate this should help you with the valve gear question,ken

Originally posted by catfordken - October 12 2010 :  07:02:29 AM

Ken, I figured it must have been an add-on kit. It sure looks good with Walschaerts.

The Tyco Depot

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 15 2010 :  11:54:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi NickelPlate759 yardbird does the kit,if it fits the big six then it should be same as the mantua ones ken
M754 - Valve gear kit - Shifter, Big 6, Prairie

Edited by - catfordken on October 15 2010 1:43:45 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - October 16 2010 :  4:13:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Ken, here's a Little Six that had a few more accessories added.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120631329911

The Tyco Depot

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 16 2010 :  4:42:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
yeah saw that somewhere with regards to what it was worth,i personally think for the time spent and the cost of parts that sort of price is about right,lots of brass so to speak ken
  Previous Topic: LOTW Oct 24-Oct 30, 2010 Topic Next Topic: LOTW Oct 3rd-Oct 9th 2010  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000