Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW Sep 26 - Oct 02, 2010
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW Oct 3rd-Oct 9th 2010 Topic Next Topic: LotW Sept. 19-25  

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - September 26 2010 :  03:31:15 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
How Tyco are you? Let me be specific, Chessie sPacific!

Chesapeake & Ohio engine #4301. This older IHC 4-6-2 was made before Mehano got precious and neglected to give all their Pacifics the Command XXV treatment. But it runs just as well in a quick express locomotive kinda way and is perfect for making steam come out of the ears of grumpy old men at your local model train club. Booyah!
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 26 2010 :  06:43:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
a few months ago i got a dm&ir caboose,so i set out to get a loco to match,very hard as most ready made are brass and big,2-8-8-4 yellowstones,so by chance i came across a mikado number 1326,i had the decals and a spare john english,not a replica but good enough for me,had it been a modern loco might have made more effort to make it look more like the real thing,but i love the older models to remain as they were made ken

Edited by - catfordken on September 26 2010 07:03:04 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 26 2010 :  09:38:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
*super jelous* I want to find that Chessie loco tykowolf!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - September 26 2010 :  8:33:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
Most of my steamers are in the "needs work" category, so I'll show this instead:

Finally got the C&O! Runs good, but growls like an angry bear. One of these days, I'm going to repower an AHM BL2. I've even got a motor waiting.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - September 27 2010 :  06:48:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
Get a Mike, on your pike! Sharp 2-8-2, catfordken. Had to look up the DM&IR, nice little mining line.

Microbusss, I think you should ask Santa for a Chessie steamer because you can't have mine!

Hey burlington, your C&O BL2 looks great and makes me want one in the Chessie scheme. Would have to paint it myself, I guess.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 27 2010 :  07:42:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Hey burlington, your C&O BL2 looks great and makes me want one in the Chessie scheme. Would have to paint it myself, I guess.

Originally posted by tykowolf - September 27 2010 :  06:48:46 AM

Why would you have to paint it yourself? AHM made them, they're all over the place. Not like they're gold plated or anything, you can probably find a shell for under $10.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - September 27 2010 :  07:49:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
quote:
Why would you have to paint it yourself?
Originally posted by AMC_Gremlin_GT - September 27 2010 :  07:42:32 AM

Because I've never seen a BL2 done in the same Chessie scheme as my Chessie Pacific. If you find one, let me know!
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 362  ~  Member Since: March 21 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 31 2011 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 27 2010 :  08:04:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
i have trolled the catalogues and cannot find a bl2 in cheesie,could be that cheesie never had them ken
Edited by - catfordken on September 27 2010 08:08:18 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 27 2010 :  08:26:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I think AHM made 2 other fantasy steam locos that had Amtrak & PennCentral Not sure but I'd love to have either
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 27 2010 :  4:13:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
a few months ago i got a dm&ir caboose,so i set out to get a loco to match,very hard as most ready made are brass and big,2-8-8-4 yellowstones,so by chance i came across a mikado number 1326,i had the decals and a spare john english,not a replica but good enough for me,had it been a modern loco might have made more effort to make it look more like the real thing,but i love the older models to remain as they were made ken

Originally posted by catfordken - September 26 2010 :  06:43:54 AM

Now that is a nice locomotive. Nice clean USRA Mike
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 27 2010 :  4:16:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Mine this week is a Aristo Craft Mikado. Frisco

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - September 27 2010 :  6:58:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
Another great Mikado MacArthur, toptrain. Frisco is everywhere of a sudden!

quote:
i have trolled the catalogues and cannot find a bl2 in cheesie,could be that cheesie never had them ken
Originally posted by catfordken - September 27 2010 :  08:04:18 AM

That's okay, Ken. I've gone off the idea now. Could've just been a bad case of Chessie Fever since I was even looking at Athearn AC4400's made for the Chessie System.

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - September 27 2010 :  8:35:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
The only Chessi System Engine I have is the same 4-6-2 as Tykowolf. But, mine is the earlier AHM Version see if you spot the differences Carl

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - September 27 2010 :  8:48:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
I think there's some confusion...I don't think anyone made a Chessie Bl2, but there were plenty of Chesapeake and Ohio Bl2s. There's a difference.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tykowolf
Big Six

tml

Posted - September 28 2010 :  06:16:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tykowolf to Buddylist
quote:
I think there's some confusion...I don't think anyone made a Chessie Bl2, but there were plenty of Chesapeake and Ohio Bl2s. There's a difference.
Originally posted by burlington77 - September 27 2010 : 8:48:50 PM

My fault, I was not clear enough. No harm done.
quote:
I think AHM made 2 other fantasy steam locos that had Amtrak & PennCentral Not sure but I'd love to have either
Originally posted by microbusss - September 27 2010 :  08:26:31 AM

Wasn't there a Conrail steamer as well, microbusss? Fantasy steam engines are funnier than fantasy diesels but I don't know why.
quote:
The only Chessi System Engine I have is the same 4-6-2 as Tykowolf. But, mine is the earlier AHM Version see if you spot the differences Carl

Originally posted by VintageHO - September 27 2010 : 8:35:08 PM

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 02 2010 :  5:37:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
and handrails or lack of them ken
Edited by - catfordken on October 02 2010 5:38:19 PM

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 02 2010 :  5:52:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Good work.. The tender has Tab holes on side of shell. Newer model doesn't.. Here is the Conrail 4-6-2 ... Carl

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 02 2010 :  7:34:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
SEE?? I knew it! Ok VintageHO Who made that?? I think there is a Amtrak & PennCentral locos like that!

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 02 2010 :  7:47:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - September 27 2010 :  08:04:18 AM

C&O yes, Cheesie or Chessie livery, no. Actually, Pierre Marquette bought the 12? or so BL-2's right before the merger with C&O, but they were painted in C&O colors. They never had Chessie paint that I know of, since that paint scheme didn't show up until 1972, WAY past the era of the BL-2. Just blue, yellow, etc. with C&O on them.

I just found a neat short history on the Chessie System ( I thought it was the actual railroad, turns out it was a holding company which owned stock in B&O, C&O, and Western Maryland. Interesting!) The Chessie paint scheme with kitten didn't appear until 1972, and ended in 1986, so there would never have been that on a Bl-2 anyway. Here's the link to the site describing what Chessie Systems actually IS : http://www.trainweb.org/CSHS/proto.html

/tyco/forum/uploaded/AMC_Gremlin_GT/20101002194506_Chessie_System_Logo.jpg

I learned something new about Chessie today, and they said there's actually one engine and several cars still rolling with the old Chessie paint scheme on them. So be on the lookout!

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - October 02 2010 :  8:04:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Ben. AHM made it, many moons ago. I know I put it on your List.. Have not seen a Amtrak or Penn Central. Carl

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 02 2010 :  10:06:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Here's two of my Chessie engines, a Hustler and a Bachmann F?. I don't know what it is, really.

The Hustler needs some work, it's not running well right now. I don't even know if I have tried the F unit, it's been sitting on a shelf for awhile. I'll have to test them again soon.

Jerry

Previous Topic: LOTW Oct 3rd-Oct 9th 2010 Topic Next Topic: LotW Sept. 19-25  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000