Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Rolling Stock
 Spirit of 76 Cabeese - The suspense
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 311T Burlington Box Car Topic Next Topic: UNICORNS EXIST!  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 26 2006 :  9:25:49 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I'm betting you all think there are 2 variations of the Tyco Spirit of 76 Caboose.

How many of you know what I know?

Pictures coming soon, sorry but the item hasn't arrived yet. After doing some research there are actually 4 unique versions.

How come I feel like I just jabbed a stick into a beehive?

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 31 2007 11:16:00 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 26 2006 :  9:55:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
LOL, someone just PM'd me with a guess. There are more than 4 variations. Put your ideas here in this topic and I'll respond for everyone.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - December 26 2006 :  10:15:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Guesses or actually very good observations so far.

Different hues of blue paint - NO

Number of Stars - NO, they are all the same in that regard.

Gloss vs Flat paint - NO

Reporting marks or lack thereof - NO

Wow, there could be up to 6 or 7 variants here. I bet some you have one of the two I'm talking about and don't even realize it. When it's revealed you will wonder how on earth you never realized this, it is SO obvious.

Yeh, I'm having a lot of fun all by myself here. Hmm, wait a minute, let me retract that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - December 27 2006 :  11:21:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Hmmmm...

I'm eager to see what you've got for us Todd. I only know of the two variations...SLSF and FEC reporting marks.

Looks like the Spirit of '76 page will be getting an upgrade in the near future. [}:)]

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 03 2007 :  8:43:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Finally, it's arrived, muhahaha. I have to get the camera, a smoke stack and ladder and will post tonight.

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 03 2007 :  9:55:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I decided to skip the repairs for the night. Here are the pics as promised. I am leaning towards the belief this version of the caboose came with the presidential seal C-430. I've seen a couple of more, while uncommon I wouldn't say rare. Both the others I've seen were listed where the seller was also selling a presidential seal engine. Also, note the metal handrails, definately an early release.

I refuse to point out what makes this so unique!!! [:0)]

BTW, GIC figured it out many days ago, I think he's still cleaning up, lol.

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 04 2007 :  5:32:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Me thinks I know what it is.[:D]

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 05 2007 :  12:59:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
This is funny, there are 3 of you that know what it is but won't post. [:p]

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2007 :  7:48:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Ok smartypants!
There is no build date under the road number.
Right?

Carl T.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:19:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Here are the three versions i have LOOK AT PHOTOS CLOSELY AND REPORTING MARKS. LOOK AT COLOR SCHEMES ALSO. THE TOP ONE IS MINT IN THE BOX [
Edited by - Brianstyco on January 06 2007 3:12:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:19:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You guys are overthinking this...it works better if you actually look at a Spirit of 76 caboose, not take wild guesses[:O)]
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:43:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Nice job Brian!

Now add the same ones with build dates and variations in the shade of blue, and you've got a complete set... [:D]

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 05 2007 9:45:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:50:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Cheez,
I am looking at one of mine right now,and mine looks the same as the one NYC posted except the one I have has BLT 7-58 under the FEC,and 76870 number.

Carl T.

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:50:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Notice also the stars on the first photo of mine to the others and as you mentioned GIC the color variations and shades
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:52:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
OK, I call UNCLE.

Carl T.

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:52:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
One other note about the FEC version... With regards to the Tropicana promo set that came with a '76 430: the two Tropicana reefers in that set are marked for the FEC. So it stands to reason the FEC '76 Caboose was in this set as well.

The Tropicana set on ebay right now has a late PT '76 430... but I can't tell what the caboose says.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on January 05 2007 9:57:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - January 05 2007 :  9:59:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Differences in the cabooses are the railings on the end. The early ones are metal with seperate metal ladders and the latter versions are one piece molded plastic. Also there is only one brake wheel on the metal railed ones (rear platform)and the plastic railed cabooses have a brake wheel on each end of platforms. also on the undersides-the early version is smooth and has tank only and the later version has tank and brake detail and a grid type bottom
Edited by - Brianstyco on January 06 2007 3:09:53 PM

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 06 2007 :  8:12:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Time for a clue - What colors make up the american flag? Say it over and over and over...

I'm not quite sure if Brian got it. Answer still not posted here.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - January 06 2007 :  8:48:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
choochin3 Posted - January 05 2007 : 8:50:11 PM
Cheez,
I am looking at one of mine right now,and mine looks the same as the one NYC posted except the one I have has BLT 7-58 under the FEC,and 76870 number.

Carl T.

Your still overthinking it...you have to look at the whole caboose, not just the build dates/numbers. Try comparing a few cabooses to NYC's.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 06 2007 :  11:50:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
FEC with reversed colors AND build date. Believe it or not, I was eyeing this one before this topic ever began [}:)]

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - January 07 2007 :  01:01:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
I'm going to have to sort this all out now. This has to be the most varied release Tyco has made.

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - January 07 2007 :  01:37:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
What was the question?
My brain hurts now!

Carl T.

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 19 2007 :  9:46:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
NEW ONE TO THE MYSTERY LOOK CLOSELY TO SPOT THE FLAW IN THIS ODDBALL
JUST RECIEVED TODAY 3-19-07

Very mint oddball example. Has seen a few laps on someones rails as there is a very light coating of tru steel track residue on wheels. very shiney white red and blue on this one

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 20 2007 :  02:43:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi,

Are we holding our answers on this one or should I post it?

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 20 2007 :  06:22:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
Hi,

Are we holding our answers on this one or should I post it?

Thanks
Mike

Originally posted by mytyco - March 20 2007 :  01:43:22 AM

You can post

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - March 20 2007 :  08:17:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
The variations on what you'd think is a simple TYCO Caboose offering is surprising.

That one example with no stars running down the stripes is curious, wonder if it just missed the star printing or if there is a whole run of those?

The reversed color stripes is another interesting oddity.

When will be given the defninitive GIC-style treatment of this classic TYCO offering? NYC will you be reviewing them or are we still digging for more variations?

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - March 21 2007 :  02:36:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
The "Spirit of '76" wording has two different colors/colours, besides the stars over and under them.

So ah, which two are the 100% correct of the SLSF and FEC?

My caboose came with the Super 630, presidental with wire handrailings, figure 8 over and under, with accompanying freightcars... (see my profile) in the winter of 1976 when I was 8 years old.

>>>The S.O. '76 on the "no builder date SLSF" has a much thinner upper portion to the seven, six, and apostrophy.<<<
The "built-dated SLSF" was not built in the same factory. Different white plastic color pigment. Which is also why the bottoms were framed differently... someone didn't know where the brake cylinder was supposed to point... Away from the cupola.
Speaking of the cupola, if it is on the right hand side, the tool/battery box between the trucks should be facing you.
(That's the one I have... somewhere in Minnesota...)
TYCO let go of one of their molds to AHM... we got a partial copycat?

Those are the other differences not yet pointed out.

Well, 'nuf from this ol'...... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on March 21 2007 02:52:34 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - March 30 2007 :  10:57:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:

When will be given the defninitive GIC-style treatment of this classic TYCO offering? NYC will you be reviewing them or are we still digging for more variations?
Originally posted by Tony Cook - March 20 2007 :  07:17:55 AM

I would love to do a review on a few different items but I can't do it real soon, you've all probably noticed I've been here less lately. Things are easing up in areas so I will be here more again.

The SO76 cabeese and triple domes would be good for me at this point.

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - May 06 2010 :  11:48:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
I decided to skip the repairs for the night. Here are the pics as promised. I am leaning towards the belief this version of the caboose came with the presidential seal C-430. I've seen a couple of more, while uncommon I wouldn't say rare. Both the others I've seen were listed where the seller was also selling a presidential seal engine. Also, note the metal handrails, definately an early release.

I refuse to point out what makes this so unique!!!

BTW, GIC figured it out many days ago, I think he's still cleaning up, lol.

Originally posted by New_York_Central - January 03 2007 :  9:55:58 PM

To further cement my belief that the reverse colored stripe version of the Sof76 caboose came with the real Presidential seal version of the engine I found this.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 25 2021 :  1:34:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

God Bless America
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 311T Burlington Box Car Topic Next Topic: UNICORNS EXIST!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000