Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Train Sets
 Tyco Coming Round The Mountain
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rock Island express Topic Next Topic: Tyco Set T-5906  

stargazer
Switcher

Posted - January 14 2010 :  03:33:01 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add stargazer to Buddylist
I found this train set up in the attic. Everything still in the box. Box is a little worse for wear. All other pieces in their own boxes. It was the Penneys special years ago. Question: My wife wants to use it for her Christmas house display. Should I set it up for her? Or get a new train? Also, where can I buy new track for this train? I'm new at this. Is this something that should be used like this? Or, should it go to a collector? Waiting to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: January 14 2010  ~  Last Visit: January 26 2010 Alert Moderator 

burlington77
Big Boy

burlington2

Posted - January 14 2010 :  11:22:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add burlington77 to Buddylist
LOL...a little too late for Christmas this year!

But seriously, I'd run it. Just be careful with everything. This kind of stuff isn't big for collector value, in a money sense. For track, you can look at hobby stores, both real and online. Ebay if you're desperate. If you live near a Hobby Lobby store, they carry some very, very basic selections of track...but not at a bargain price. If you want to set up a Christmas train for your wife, I'd recommend looking for something like Bachmann easy track. It's track with a sturdy (well, more or less sturdy) plastic base. It can be set on carpet, floors, most anything.

Now the bad news....depending on how it was stored, and even if it was stored well, the locomotive may need some maintenance. The wheels may need to be cleaned, the motor may need cleaning/lubrication, the traction tires may be rotten....among other things. We all love Tycos...but the fact of the matter is that they can be "high maintenance" in their old age.

If you're not comfortable with cleaning/maintaining the loco, you might want to just get her a cheap starter train set to run. Depending on the quality and how much you want to spend, you can get something for 40-150 bucks or so. Heck, our local "Casey's" convenience stores sell an exclusive set for $29.99 that would work. Lots of online/ebay stores sell Athearn Iron Horse starter sets for around $100, and they'll last for years. More deals like that can be found online.

Another thing to consider: those Christmas village houses are big. O scale looks much more realistic. If you are considering a purchase, you might look at that. Nice Lionel starter sets can be had for around $200...or $99 on clearance at Target if you're lucky like me! (hopefully I'm not burned for blasphemy on this HO scale site!)

This is starting to get long. I'm sure we can all give more advice if you need it. Just let us know.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1166  ~  Member Since: October 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: December 23 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - January 15 2010 :  3:36:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I second Burlington's advice on the Bachmann track, or something similar. It is like the basic included in Tyco sets, but has a plastic moulding underneath to raise the track a bit and protect it from debris.

You can buy this style from different manufacturers, such as:

Life Like Power-Loc
http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Track&scale=H&manu=433&item=&keywords=power&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=300&Submit=Search

Bachmann EZ Track
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewCat&catId=80

Atlas True Track
http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/hotruetrack.htm

If you can afford the extra cost, I would recommend using nickle-silver type tracks too. They are virtually maintenance free.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Rock Island express Topic Next Topic: Tyco Set T-5906  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000