Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Updated AAR trucked Geep, an Original Mantua Tyco
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: check out my silver streak Topic Next Topic: Just a Thought...  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 19 2009 :  7:47:38 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I had never seen an ICG GP with these trucks until I saw this auction. I have seen two examples on internet auctions.
This is an original Mantua Tyco PT powered, a Mark I motor as GiC writes, in a GP shell that has the Mantua Tyco light colored screw-in tank and filled rear lights. The trucks are the same as the Gen II Alcos, that I have posted about recently, and have only one screw on the power truck and the separate coupler boxes. These trucks have a kind of hook that also snaps on the ends of the metal truck.
It is not a Mantua GP that has had the MU2 switched out because of the description I have mentioned above. The Tyco GP has slots above the tank on the shell and there are none here.
The auction photo shows couplers attached but they were damaged during packaging, not shipping.
There is a missing nose herald.
I wonder now if there are other early GPs with these trucks, tank and power? Maybe the GP Durango in that catalog shot is one of these.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/alco fan/alco_trucked_geep.jpg

There is a earlier posting that I wrote on the Durango GP in the catalog pic with AAR trucks in Tyco Motive Power.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7103

If you look closely I think you can see the separate coupler box and the hooks or snaps that attach the truck cover with side frames to the truck. You can also see the light colored tank weight that on most MU2s Geeps is dark.
If you look at the rear truck you'll notice the groves that the snaps slide over. to secure the truck without screws. The front power truck has one screw to keep the middle gear from popping out under power. This is the same set up as the Gen II Alcos, Some S630s and some RF16s.

/tyco/forum/uploaded/alco fan/alco_trucked_geep 006.jpg

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on September 22 2009 10:19:56 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - September 19 2009 :  9:29:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Nice Bob! I like that concidering most of ICG's and GM&O's ,EMD's had the AAR trucks on them. You may be on to something here.
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - September 20 2009 :  02:25:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
some railroads (i.e. Soo Line), for rebuild/replacement contracts, turned in ALCO models for GP-30's, but that these GP-30's had the ALCO trucks beneath them.
John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 20 2009 :  08:48:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Thanks Alex for you support. I'm sure this is not a motor swap out, I've seen 2 at auction, both ICGs and from different sellers. You would think they could have used the Blomberg side frames but they didn't or at least we haven't found any yet. The Durango catalog photo shows the same set up.

Zebrails,
Thanks for reminding me. I thought those GP20s with the Alco AAR trucks looked cool and saved the RR some cash.

I realized that the reason that this is original un-tampered-with version of the Mantua Tyco GP20 and not one with an engine swap out by some other owner is that the slots for the trucks on the shell of the Mantua Tyco Geeps are on the walkway and these slots are higher more like the last Geeps that Tyco made.
One other distinction is that the MU2 GP20s have lenses in the rear lights and these are filled.
Unless there are a bunch of us with these AAR trucked GPs I'd say these are rare.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on September 21 2009 8:34:23 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 21 2009 :  8:40:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
The side frames on the ICG GP are also the second of three variations of the AAR Alco truck. It has three leaf springs showing like the red box Alcos but is a different design. the third variation of the AAR side frame has four leaves showing.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 27 2009 :  7:38:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
If some one is going to collect Tyco variations of the same 3 boxcars because because of differences in the shade or reporting marks then I'd think this is a find and very HTF if not rare or unrecognized.
Comments welcomed. PM me if you'd like:)

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on September 27 2009 7:40:03 PM
  Previous Topic: check out my silver streak Topic Next Topic: Just a Thought...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000