Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Canadiana Shark Leaves
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: ''74 Alco and caboose sale brochure Topic Next Topic: question about tyco traction tires  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 29 2009 :  09:57:41 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
If you look at the Canadiana Shark on GiCs site you'll notice that the large red leaf in the middle of the side is a different style than the smaller white ones in the stripe. It may match the official Canadian Maple Leaf logo. I think that's interesting because the leaves on the C430 Canadiana do not match the official National Canadian Maple leaf.

Thank you GiC.

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - June 29 2009 :  2:31:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
You're right, I never noticed that.

In my opinion, if any leaf on the Canadiana 430 is close to the one on the flag, it's the leaf on the nose. However, even it doesn't come close!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 29 2009 :  8:44:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
The leaf on the Alco looks kinda lopsided to me...almost like more of a blob than a leaf I've always wondered why the one on the shark looked so much nicer.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 29 2009 :  9:23:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
The red maple leaf on the Shark is most like the official leaf if not the same. The white leaves and those on the C430 are a"stylized" version of a stylized logo, and are identical to each other. I wonder if during production the Maple leaf logo was used to save time because of it's size? Maybe the stylized leaf art was used to save time? I'd think there is a logical reason. Sort of reminds me of the deal with the So'76 and the POTUS seal.
I wouldn't have noticed this except for the fact I was trying to make decals for the custom C430.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on June 29 2009 9:25:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 30 2009 :  12:17:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Maybe the Alco was produced before the shark, and when they began production on the shark they completely redesigned the look of the logos. Here's my theory:

It would make sense if the Alco came out some time in the mid 70's, around the time when the Spirit of 76 engines were being made. It was probably only made for a couple of years based on the number of them that seem to be around. THEN, the shark (which has a MUCH cleaner paint job) comes out in 1982 along with the Santa Fe and Northern Pacific units, both of which lasted only one year. That would explain the better logo design/crisper paint, as well as the rarity of it

Of course, I don't know it that's what really happened, but it would make sense
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 30 2009 :  08:47:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Thanks for posting your Canadianas.
All I have is my Canadiana C430 clone so "I have to rely on the kindness of strangers.." for references.
Interesting that the caboose has a CN logo on it. The leaves on the caboose all seem to be the same design as the C430 and my own Canadiana boxcar example.

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on June 30 2009 10:20:24 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 30 2009 :  10:44:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
or maybe the Canada Gov complained it didn't look like the flag's leaf idk
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14697  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: May 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: ''74 Alco and caboose sale brochure Topic Next Topic: question about tyco traction tires  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000