Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 Nonpowered units with weights?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: SANTA FE ALCO 430 STENCIL VARIATIONS Topic Next Topic: Geep with Alco trucks  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 08 2009 :  3:57:49 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Just received a BN Shark set, one powered. Both are in like new condition with both horns but no box. The nonpowered is very light with no weight. Does the nonpowered unit usually come weighted or is that left out?
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 08 2009 :  4:09:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I haven't yet encountered an "official" or "NIB" power/dummy set, so I can't say for certain. But, given that a dummy's role in a model consist is simply to look like an engine but otherwise do nothing... well basically it's just a fancy boxcar, and it doesn't need to weigh much. So I wouldn't be surprised if the weights were omitted.

I have come across an unpowered Tyco F-unit that was missing the wieghts... but it was loose and a little roughed up so I wouldn't say for certain based on that.

However, if the fuel tank on your shark is in place with the inside cover as well, and the weights are missing (in other words the fuel tank weight is essentially hollow), I would surmise it left the factory that way. The weighted tanks are not easy the easiest of things to open, at least not without breaking one of the locking clips.

Does the loco have all-plastic wheels, or is it lighted?

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 08 2009 4:10:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - June 08 2009 :  6:30:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Thank you GiC. Man I love it when somebody talks Tyco!! It is unlighted, all plastic wheels.
Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on June 08 2009 7:44:31 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - June 08 2009 :  11:13:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
If it helps at all. When I got my B-unit for my life like F7, it had a similar weight in the same spot to where the engine would carry it. However it was cut in half. Thought it was sorta odd so I took it out and just added some smaller weights so the B-unit wasn't a total lightweight. However I was still having derailments so I'm going to stick the other weight back in there and just let it be. Its also setup the same way as a tyco, unlighted with plastic wheels.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - September 21 2011 :  08:03:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Ive Seen Unpowered At Shows And They Seem To have No Weights.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 21 2011 :  4:37:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Most unpowereds thatI have are unweighted as well. What do you need weight for? There's no traction with them, and they're just like a boxcar in that regard, something that is pulled behind the main engine. So unless the lack of weight causes problems ( wobbles, etc ) then adding the same amount as in a full-powered engine is wasteful and reduces the number of cars you can pull. No practical purpose in fully weighting it. And cheaper for the manufacturer, too.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 21 2011 :  4:52:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
personally i like everything to have a certain weight to it (not excessive),if your pulling lots of cars then it might be a problem,but weight gives them a nice foot print on the track and i find they do not wobble as much,my opinion only ken
below is a table to give you scale weights for each scale,it does work,as a lots of cars made by the likes of ihc mehano only weigh 1 3/4 onces/52 grams only
http://www.awrr.com/scalecharts.html

Edited by - catfordken on September 21 2011 5:09:07 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: SANTA FE ALCO 430 STENCIL VARIATIONS Topic Next Topic: Geep with Alco trucks  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000