Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Coupler clips
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Metal wheel replacement for Tyco rolling stock? Topic Next Topic: Rebuilding a MU2 drive  

bruceclouette
Switcher

Posted - May 28 2009 :  09:27:30 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bruceclouette to Buddylist
I have some older stuff that has just a tab where the horn and hook coupler should be. I need the little metal clips that hold the coupler in place. Where do you get these? I see plenty of couplers for sale, but not this piece of hardware. Thanks.

Bruce Clouette
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 81  ~  Member Since: May 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 09 2012 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:05:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
You're talking about the cover and metal pin for the MU-2 style coupler pockets right? I have rebuilt a couple of these pockets using plain old cereal box cardboard and track nails. It's crude, but it works very well for me. If you took the time, you could probably use a thin sheet of metal and make some very nice replacements.

I have come across some engines where the small hole has been enlarged, and a new plastic coupler pocket has been screwed on. Not sure who makes these, but I personally find them kind of bulky.

Hope that helps.

-cheez

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:27:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Hello Cheez, would you have a picture of what you are describing?

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - May 29 2009 :  12:01:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi BruceClouette,

I tried to post a link to an old post I did last year on coupler issues. But it ended up as a new post, see: COUPLER REPAIR, HOW I DID IT.

Sorry for the mix up.

Mike

Edited by - mytyco on May 29 2009 12:08:29 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - May 30 2009 :  2:19:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Mike. The pics are a little blurry, but they should illustrate what I've done. This was my first attempt, so it's a little messy, but trust me...this coupler works perfectly.

The cereal box cardboard was folded to the same shape as the original pocket. I glued this over top of the tab. For the pin I took a plain old track nail, and cut the pointy end off to make it the right length. I then put the coupler in and stuck the nail in from the bottom, securing it with a drop of glue. For some reason this engine has an Athearn coupler on it...I don't remember why, but I think a Tyco coupler should work. If you're using an Athearn coupler you'll need to put something in between the nail and the hole in the coupler to keep the coupler from moving in and out.

If you did this with a piece of metal, you would probably get a much better result.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3323  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 03 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - May 30 2009 :  2:46:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Thanks Cheez, you're right maybe a piece of tin, aluminum or plastic would work.

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Metal wheel replacement for Tyco rolling stock? Topic Next Topic: Rebuilding a MU2 drive  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000