Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Rebuilding a MU2 drive
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Coupler clips Topic Next Topic: Dont throw away your old notebook!  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 30 2008 :  10:50:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
It seams most repairs stop when a riveted part stands in the way. In collecting locomotives that use these drives when cleaning and lubing no longer works. Replacement leaves a collector with a few extra nonrunning drives. In repair rivets are made to be removed. The two long rivits holding the bottom plate on the MU2 drive if I remember correctly are made of aluminum, or brass. Both are soft metals. Just holding a sharpe drill bit in a tap handle and turning it is enough to cut the head off the rivet. Putting the drive in a vice held by a soft wood is a good idea. Once the head is cut off, a little proding will remove the long rivet from the drive body. Now here you are with the bottom plate removed and the drive exposed for repair. The axels are removed for cleaning, then clean and undercut the comunitor if necessary. Removal of the armiture is done by , first removing the brushes, then two, two hole plates held in by small screws will free up the armiture. It has been years since I made this repair and this is from memory but the armiture may get stuck by the curved metal plates that are aginst the perminate magnet. These plates may be held in by a screw or another rivet. Removal of this rivet may be necessary to remove and replace the armiture. I sure you will get beyond this point. Check for wires broken from the comuntator segments. In this drive the armiture is fairly well inclosed so foreigh matter getting in to damage the windings should not be a problum. The most common is someone appling power to a seized armiture and burning open the windings. Now everything is clean and oiled you want to replace the axels and close it up but their are no rivets to install. You will find that a common tap ( 6 or 8-32) fits nice into the rivet hole and taps the opening for a screw. Using a flat head screw and countersinking the original hole in the sheetmetal bottom will work well to close up the drive. remember to use a drill bit slightly narower then the screw head.Once completed this makes any further maintance very easy.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on October 07 2008 6:33:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 30 2008 :  4:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Frank. Thanks for the tutorial. I may have to try this...several of my MU-2's have a pulse as they run. This may be partially because of weakened magnets, but I'm sure cleaning the motors would help alot!

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - September 30 2008 :  6:22:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Frank:

Can rivets that match the originals be replaced if desired?

Thanks,
Gareth

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - September 30 2008 :  6:36:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Frank:

Can rivets that match the originals be replaced if desired?

Thanks,
Gareth

Originally posted by romcat-September 30 2008: 6:22:23 PM

You could if you can find them.
I got some in a lot of parts that came from an authorized Tyco service station.
They are an unusual length and may be hard to find.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 30 2008 :  7:47:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
[quote]Hey Frank. Thanks for the tutorial. I may have to try this...several of my MU-2's have a pulse as they run. This may be partially because of weakened magnets, but I'm sure cleaning the motors would help alot!

-cheez
The pulse may be a damaged gear.
Frank

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 30 2008 :  9:02:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hmmm...a broken gear could cause a pulse, but I'm pretty sure the pulse on the motor I'm thinking of is caused by weak magnets. When I turn the engine over and touch the wires directly to the wheels the motor turns fine...I think the magnets are just very weak because the motor can barely move the engine its attached too. It's also very loud...I'll have to look into that O_o

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 01 2008 :  11:33:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Cheez from what you just said it is a electrical pickup problum. You not getting power threw to the motor. Assuming you have already cleaned all wheels the drive needs to be removed from the locomotive body to troubleshoot the problum. Have you done this before? If so good luck!
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on October 01 2008 11:39:16 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - October 01 2008 :  12:31:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ray:

I'm thinking of keeping a MU-2 Tyco as original as possible. A screw in one will just look UN-original!

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on October 01 2008 7:37:56 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 01 2008 :  7:45:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Frank. I'm sure electrical pick-up does have something to do with it, but I still think the magnets are part of the problem. Ah well....guess I'll have to tear it apart and see what's wrong

Gareth: If you find an easy way to reassemble the motor while keeping it looking original, please let me know. I always find it annoying when previous owners of my engines have modified them in the most idiotic ways. One of the most common things I see are coupler pockets that have had the pin removed, and a giant hole drilled through the middle with a screw hangin out the bottom. I mean honestly...WTH is so hard to understand about popping the cover off with a screwdriver and then pressing it back on with a new coupler inside!?

-cheez

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - October 01 2008 :  10:23:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Ray:

I'm thinking of keeping a MU-2 Tyco as original as possible. A screw in one will just look UN-original!

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat-October 01 2008: 12:31:06 PM

I agree.
If anyone finds a supplier of the right rivets let me know. I used mine up in a hurry.
I guess they could be made on a lathe but it would be time consuming unless you had a CNC lathe.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 02 2008 :  08:24:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray do you think you can use brass tubing as a rivet.
frank

toptrain

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - October 02 2008 :  11:50:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Ray do you think you can use brass tubing as a rivet.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain-October 02 2008: 08:24:05 AM

You may be on to something Frank.
Making the head for the top of the rivet that holds the Yoke in place could be done by flaring the end of the tube like a brake line on a car then hammering it flat or just solder a washer of nut on that end. The bottom of the rivets can be rolled to resemble the original with a rivet tool.

Ray

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 02 2008 :  5:44:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Ray : got to try it. Most hobby shops sell SK or GK brass tubing in various sizes.
frank

toptrain

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - October 03 2008 :  1:47:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ray:

Can you get me dimensions on an original rivet?

-Gareth

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 07 2008 :  6:37:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Added a photo of a open MU2 drive in original post of this topic.
frank

toptrain

tod513
Switcher

KCS

Posted - October 08 2008 :  1:41:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tod513 to Buddylist
I have used 3/32 Rivets to fix a dummy.

Edited by - tod513 on October 08 2008 2:14:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 45  ~  Member Since: March 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - October 08 2008 :  3:40:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
I have used 3/32 Rivets to fix a dummy.

Originally posted by tod513-October 08 2008: 1:41:13 PM

Looks good to me.. Serves the purpose. no one will see those rivets unless you are running on a glass track
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - October 08 2008 :  4:45:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hey Tod. Those look great! Ten times better than these giant nuts I keep finding

Where did you buy the rivets?

-cheez

Edited by - DaCheez on October 08 2008 4:46:09 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 08 2008 :  4:57:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is one of my MU2's repaired.
frank

toptrain

tod513
Switcher

KCS

Posted - October 09 2008 :  09:32:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tod513 to Buddylist
The rivets came from a local hardware store.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 45  ~  Member Since: March 08 2008  ~  Last Visit: November 05 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

FosterG
Switcher

Posted - January 05 2009 :  8:08:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add FosterG to Buddylist
Thanks for the info. When I get it all apart is rubbing alcohol what I need to use? What strength or % ? Why would it matter? I have 91% isopropyl on hand. Sorry I posted as an "event" initially. I contacted moderator to see if that mistake could be corrected.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 25 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - January 05 2009 :  9:54:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Mod here... there's no method provided for us to "move" a topic to the correct forum, or convert an event to a plain topic, etc.... so since there was only just Matt's very astute reply, I deleted the "event". Feel free to open a new topic again yourself if need be!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - January 05 2009 :  11:04:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Foster,

90% alcohol is what I use. It's plastic safe, and goes through old oil and grease very quickly. I have soaked brushes in stronger solvents like paint thinner or Gumout carburetor cleaner when alcohol doesn't cut it, but those have to be kept away from paint and plastics.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - May 07 2009 :  08:52:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
You will find that a common tap ( 6 or 8-32) fits nice into the rivet hole and taps the opening for a screw. Using a flat head screw and countersinking the original hole in the sheetmetal bottom will work well to close up the drive.

Originally posted by toptrain-September 30 2008: 10:50:08 AM

tt:

Very good tip!

One word of warning, though. The alnico magnet is magnetized after assembly, with the flux path closed by the armature. Removing the armature will interrupt the flux path and permanently weaken the magnet...it's something that happens with alnico motor magnets.

If the armature absolutely must be removed, make up a "keeper" out of steel that can be placed over the motor and provide an alternate flux path while the armature is out. A small C-clamp might do it.

A weak magnet will make a motor weaker, faster, and hotter. It will draw a lot more current. Motor magnets can be recharged with a large electromagnet, or they can be replaced with NdFeB supermagnets, which will provide a big performance boost over even the brand-new alnico.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 07 2009 :  09:11:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'd rather use nuts or screws tho Then it's easier to take apart
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - May 11 2009 :  07:34:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
Here is a link to a rivet supplier. The dimensions appear to be very similar to MU-2 size. http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet12.htm

If someone here buys a bag of them let me know. I would like half a dozen.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 28 2009 :  08:23:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Use of screws with nuts. If you look at my photos you'll see only screw heads. I ran a taped thro the rivet hole allowing for the use of screws only. Now for any maintance you need only to remove a few screws. You don't even have to remove the drive from the loco body.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 28 2009 08:26:26 AM
  Previous Topic: Coupler clips Topic Next Topic: Dont throw away your old notebook!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000