Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 FP 45 power
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RIVAROSSI BERKSHIRE OILING Topic Next Topic: How To Remove  HO Cab Fwd Front Truck Gears?  

adam gordon
Switcher

agtech

Posted - March 07 2009 :  8:43:02 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add adam gordon to Buddylist
hello ,i got this thing smoothed out after i saw an arc between brushes bright enough to start the house on fire , due to crud and oil this thing was slow and stinky. im still getting a low vibration in rear shaft area i checked for any cracks and i see none . other then the small vibration i think these old yugos were great pullers. has anyone put flys on these? ive thought about it . adam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 11 2009 Alert Moderator 

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - March 08 2009 :  8:12:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
I have put flywheels on their SD40 and C628s. The flys do improve running, but adding more electrical pick-up will provide even better performance improvement. You might want to think about replacing the motor in the near future as well.

Looking at your photo, will you have enough room to add flywheels? looks like your model has metal weights right where you would place the flywheels.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - March 11 2009 :  07:52:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
The problem with these is for what you spend in time and money to improve one, you could just pick up an older Athearn model of the same engine that already has flywheels, better drive, and better detail.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

adam gordon
Switcher

agtech

Posted - March 11 2009 :  10:33:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add adam gordon to Buddylist
thankyou ,everything you said is correct,i would like to see the detail in the athern .do you have a pic handy ?, thanks again adam.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 11 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 17 2009 :  06:48:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I agree with LVRR. These AHM/Mehano units only have 8 wheel drive, and can barely pull their own weight. They're also too short.

The Athearns have 12 wheel pickup and drive, are heavy as heck, and can haul anything you throw at them.

The new Genesis versions are really gorgeous.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

adam gordon
Switcher

agtech

Posted - March 17 2009 :  09:12:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add adam gordon to Buddylist
wow,that is sweeet.im gonna have to get me 1 of those. thanks adam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 91  ~  Member Since: February 16 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 11 2009 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: RIVAROSSI BERKSHIRE OILING Topic Next Topic: How To Remove  HO Cab Fwd Front Truck Gears?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000