Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 4 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 RIVAROSSI BERKSHIRE OILING
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: How to improve your AHM/Rivarossi Casey Jones Topic Next Topic: FP 45 power  

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  1:27:13 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
has anyone oiled one of these its a weird setup to me its box number is 5016a and came in what i call the wild west box ken

Edited by - catfordken on February 20 2009 1:29:32 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator 

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  5:10:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Here's oiling insructions from AHM.
http://www.hoseeker.net/AHMRivarossiassembly/ahm284bershirepg3.jpg

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 20 2009 :  5:31:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I like that drive. It's smooth, and keeps the area between the frame and boiler open. It's also easily regeared.
The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on February 20 2009 5:33:40 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  5:33:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi ray have that diagram with loco my point is the oil points is their an easy way or do you need to split body from frame to do it ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 20 2009 :  5:37:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Ken, remove the bottom cover to lube the axle gearing, and remove the screw under the cab and the screw beside the stack (disguised as an appliance) to take the boiler shell off.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - February 20 2009 :  5:40:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
many thanks its a great loco but as i have said before due to them being fragile i would sooner ask first ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - March 16 2009 :  6:46:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
i have one of those as well, just a differant road name. i love it's looks, but it's pulling power stinks. anyone ever remotor one? what about gearing it?
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - March 16 2009 :  7:57:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
I regeared and remotored a pair of them.
http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1004.html
I'm pretty sure NWSL sells a regear kit.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - March 17 2009 :  06:30:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Yup, the kits that fit the upper gearboxes of the RR articulateds fit these Berks. The more common kit is about 60% reduction, but a more reasonable choice for the berk is the 33% gearing, since they weren't slow engines.

I have a bunch of those pulled from VCR's and CD players in my parts collection, Ray. What was the source of those heavy duty shafts and couplings?

The Tyco Depot

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - March 17 2009 :  11:45:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
What was the source of those heavy duty shafts and couplings?

Originally posted by NickelPlate759-March 17 2009: 06:30:03 AM

Those are motor couplingd from a VCR motor on one of them and the other have couplings from a couple of Meheno Pacifics.
I fit a piece of thin tubung over then to reduce noise.
Any U-joint or fuel line tubing should work.
Those big motors were a tight fit but have plenty of power and low RPM. You may not have to regear them if you use those motors but I like the extra speed reduction.

Ray

smokie
Hudson

smokie

Posted - March 17 2009 :  5:55:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add smokie to Buddylist
thanks ray, i might have to give this a try. i wonder how well it would help just changing the gearing & maybe adding a little weight?
jerry
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 553  ~  Member Since: January 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - March 17 2009 :  8:21:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
thanks ray, i might have to give this a try. i wonder how well it would help just changing the gearing & maybe adding a little weight?

Originally posted by smokie-March 17 2009: 5:55:05 PM

Just changing the gearing & adding a little weight will be an improvement. It should run fine that way.
I like to change the Rivarossi motors though. (just a personal preference)

Ray
  Previous Topic: How to improve your AHM/Rivarossi Casey Jones Topic Next Topic: FP 45 power  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000