Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 7 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My rental layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Leaser Hills RR Topic Next Topic: My current layout
Page: of 2

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 02 2009 :  08:25:43 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
All the talk about the bridge in the Lotw thread made me decide it was time to post this. Though I really didn't have a good name for it lol. Its more commonly known as the layout where a small portion of my stuff runs around on till I get my own. As I've mentioned on here before, this was my friend's layout he started YEARS ago, and only within the past two or so years brought back to life with some minor improvements. The scenery isn't the greatest, but it is scenery Honestly its given me a great place to setup photo ops for alot of my stuff. Four trains can run at once. Though the outside track on the main layout is the only track with turns big enough for many of the larger locos. I limit what I take up ther because we are so pressed for space (you'll notice stuff parked everywhere). There is still some track that needs replaced/updated, but usually once we get things rolling everything goes ok. Only thing not shown in these pictures is the autocross course I posted in the other thread.

Here is the mainside of the layout. The crossover section was added over the winter. If someone is watching the throttles you can run both trains over the crossover (though we've had hits haha). But usually we direct the inside track over the old mainline. The staging track in front of the controls are the only blocked tracks on the layout.

Some closer shots. Assorted steam power sits ready to roll in the staging tracks.

My friend's F7 trio are probably the best pulling combo on the layout.

The small circle track up on the mountain is powered, but is extremly tight. My 0-4-0 Lima is one of a handful of engines that can run there. Usually dead engines are parked up there for display.

Panning across to the other side, we have what I always call the "wall side" of the layout for obvious reasons. You can send something over the bridge, but its not looped like the other tracks. The turntable is a nice place to keep the locos on display. And we've recent been fiddling with the track between the roundhouse and bridge in a attempt to get more parking. As you've probably noticed we use the bridge tracks for parking also. Most of my engines live on this side of the layout.

A closer view of the yard on the wall side. The twin Alco RS-3's are mine. The Bessemer SD7 & F7 in the background belong to my friend. Notice my tanker caboose sneaking though this shot!

My knock off NW C630 and its caboose sit for a picture. First time I think I've ever shown my C630 on here.

My freinds C425 Alco races past the river scene.

The roundhouse lineup is changing all the time!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator 

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - March 02 2009 :  08:35:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Looks like a fun layout!

A turntable, a bridge, a river, very nice. Looks like there's enough room to run some longer trains as well.

Noticed there's a Tyco trailer unloader...

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - March 02 2009 :  10:26:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Never be ashamed of that scenery, I grew up around layouts like that and it fanned the flames of the hobby I enjoy just fine. Nicely busy trackage and stable of locos---would keep me googly eyed for daze
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - March 03 2009 :  12:32:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi Chris,

Very cool layout! I wish I had that much room. Enjoy!

Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 03 2009 :  01:50:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Thanks for the comments so far! The owner of the layout can see this post so I'm sure he appreciates it Matt, whats funny is the trailer loader is just sitting there in once of the last sections of the layout that hasn't been gone over. We've been talking about adding more side tracks off the roundhouse it just hasn't happened yet. But if you look at the shots of the main layout there is a spine train running around, I thought the crane wouldn't look to bad if I could find a spot over there to display it. The running room is nice, usually we keep the trains around 8-9 cars give or take. I think we've had a few break double digits lately, but you gotta watch with all the tight turns. Alot of the smaller/older stuff can't haul as much so we run 5 car trains alot just so we can get everything out for awhile.

We've talked alot of big expansion stuff. Like a staging yard or a helix so we could keep fully built trains parked outta sight. Problem is the way the layout is built we basically can't go under it. And we are running outta basement to expand with lol. I wanted to somehow build a upper loop for the bridge so it could see continuous operation, but again either the turns would be to tight or we'd be outta room. Still its a great mix of old and new stuff if you look around. And if you look in some of the shots you'll see things like drinks, tools, and cell phones parked around the edges lol. Its nice to be working on something right next to the tracks so you can have one train running and use the other track for testing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - March 03 2009 :  05:29:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
great layout,and it looks like you have plenty of fun with it,ken
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - March 04 2009 :  7:35:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Cool layout! I like the look of the scenery. It looks like it's a good size as well. I'd love to have that much room to run my trains

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 06 2009 :  6:16:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey theres a loco in the river! someone forgot to rescue it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 06 2009 :  7:42:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
hey theres a loco in the river! someone forgot to rescue it

Originally posted by microbusss-March 06 2009: 6:16:04 PM

Funny story about that thing. My 0-4-0 lima was running by there one day, something happened to the cars trailing it either I bumped one or one derailed on its own. The sudden effect of the cars stopping tugged the Lima off the track, down the hill, and pushed the dead river locomotive out of the way. We left it there for awhile just for irony sake
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 531  ~  Member Since: January 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: July 10 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - March 07 2009 :  12:38:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
That is pretty cool. I like how the scenes and sections seem to be peninsulas that extend out from one central location (at least, the pictures give that impression). Like a "blob" instead of an island or around-the-walls. I don't think I've seen that before. If it's not that way, then it sure seems bigger than it is... really makes the trains seem like they're going somewhere.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 07 2009 :  04:15:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Tony your partially right. Alot of it came from having enough room, and just adding on where possible. So its shape is a little different from a normal layout. As of right now there are no other expansions planned. I did take the camera tonight and crack off a final batch of pictures to share. I decided to go a little closer at some of the scenes his dad setup.

We'll start with the newest section, the double crossover. Unlike my earlier shots, you can see the autocross course location.

Close up of the live stock farm.

Speaking of autocross, we've got a starter!

...and a cone down!

Moving back onto the orginal main section of the layout.

Motive power waits on the blocked staging tracks. These are some of the loco's my friend owns.

And WAY up on the layout's only hill...his Dad built this haha.

Crossing the river to the wall side again...

In a effort to gain more parking. I cheated and took some old track and laid it down off the turntable. In reality its probably rare you'd see boxcars parked off of a turntable like this. But it looks good and free'd up some sidings elsewhere! Not only was I using basically scrap track, I built the line stops out of spare ties.

Final shot, my Chessie doing its fast freight impression (it doesn't do slow haha) with a load of custom built log cars.

Thanks for all the comments and for checking it out!

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - March 07 2009 :  08:47:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I like that pool a lot!

And do I spy a Big Boy in the 7th picture?

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DJdeTrainman
Little Six

NJTransitAvatar

Posted - March 07 2009 :  09:46:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DJdeTrainman to Buddylist
Man, your friend has one heck of a layout, Chris! I don't even have a layout yet...
D.J. (Yeah, I'm "that kid"... Deal.)

http://railroadrandomness.blogspot.com/
Look; a new blog...

Yippee!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 157  ~  Member Since: February 05 2009  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 08 2009 :  12:47:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Matt - Its actually a Athearn 4-6-6-4 UP challenger, pretty sweet locomotive, though it can only run on the outer most track due to the turns. http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG9122
Though I should warn you, the pool is a painted can of dog food and the two people in the water use to be one

DJ don't feel bad about not having a layout. Only thing I have at my house is a small test track of 3 fixed pieces that only works half the time haha. Makes it hard to by new stuff though. Locomotives I usually keep on his layout, but new rolling stock I usually just run to get a few photos of and store them. Just not enough room right now which is hard to believe! Moving out in a few months, once I get settled hopefully by the fall I can start on something of my own.

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:24:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So as we've upgraded to larger steam power (2-10-2's) and begun to run longer trains. The outside tracks on each side of the layout worked out good for these larger engines. However the switch back turns near the wall side of the layout became a bit of a pain. Problem was the larger locos could make it around just fine, but every 2-3 time through a wheel would jump on the S-turn. I had the random idea if we could just cut across that corner with a small bridge, that would ease the turn enough for the larger locos. Well...the project snowballed into something way bigger than any of us wanted haha. But its a really cool addition.

Looking at the previous pictures you can see where this is a huge improvement. Plus it gives some nice scenery & elevation to the other side of the layout. The inner track is still a little tight, but that gives the smaller trains a place to play so it works out. Whats great is my 2-6-6-2 can finally run for several minuets straight without the front drivers falling off the tracks!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 07 2009 :  08:47:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hmm needs some railroad crossing signs at the roads
<----like that one

Edited by - microbusss on May 07 2009 08:48:31 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NC shortlines
Big Boy

AberdeenRockfishAvatar

Posted - May 07 2009 :  9:57:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NC shortlines to Buddylist
I don't have a layout, yet. I have been reading about how to make good scenery. That picture with the canoes on the river.... looks fabulous.
I can see a graduated depth with the varying colors of the river bottom. Looks very realistic. I'm impressed.

Unspoken expectations are premeditated failures.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 825  ~  Member Since: December 22 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dorptrains
Big Six

BN loco 1

Posted - May 07 2009 :  10:11:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dorptrains to Buddylist
Awesome layout! Hopefully mine will eventually look something like that . . .
-Jacob

Quote: "I didn't fail, I just found 1200 materials that won't work"

-Thomas Edison
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 232  ~  Member Since: March 29 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - May 07 2009 :  10:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Microbus - Actually we have a bunch now, in fact there are a pair just beyond the range of the pictures I took of the bridge lol. Several of the other major road crossings got them also. Work in progress like all things.

Glad everyone else likes it! The water is actaully pretty simple. I mentioned before my friend's Dad does all the scenery. For the ground stuff he's happy enough just to slap some paint down and maybe a bush or two. But the water he's really got down good. He'll paint the layers you see, then just cover it with clear epoxy. For the water under both bridges the epoxy layer isn't that thick, but it fools you into thinking its far deeper than it really is. If you take a shot with the camera resting right on the water it looks really convincing. I wanna build a tire swing under the new bridge I think that would be a cool scene.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 08 2009 :  12:34:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist

***LOOKING GOOD MON !!! ***
You can definiatly run your stuff.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - September 07 2009 :  01:17:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Uh oh...with me getting a new house in the coming month or two. My days on the rental layout might be numbered as I goto build my own. But those plans are WAY off. And we still need extra parking (staging). Perhaps the final expansion of the layout.

Hard to see in that shot, but we are using the textured american finishes spray paint in the yard to give a it the cheap ballast look.

We did a 2nd coat after these pics were taken and it covered much better. I'm going to attempt some more painting for grass, weathered track, etc. We are trying various techniques this time just to see what kinda of look we can come up with. While still giving a more detailed feel than other parts of the layout. My friend doesn't use ground foam because of how dirty things get & a few other reasons. So we just keep experimenting with paint!

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - September 07 2009 :  02:58:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Congrats on the new house and new layout! The rental layout is very well planned and executed. Very nice S630 and caboose! Keep us updated please?

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ILUVBUDWSR
Hudson

fty

Posted - September 07 2009 :  07:21:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ILUVBUDWSR to Buddylist
Yes, please do keep us updated. I like the rental layout. I am in need of a place to run trains at the moment. I like your Chessie System peices. Who makes the Western Maryland steam locomotive you have pictured? I was thinking IHC? WM is my second favorite railroad with Chessie System being the first (btw:I hate cats,just love the logo and color scheme).
A lone amature built the ark! A large group of professionals built the titanic!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 423  ~  Member Since: September 25 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 08 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 07 2009 :  10:49:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well hope this layout comes apart before you move & do not leave anything behind! Pack buildings & trains carefully! I*s house bigger so you can expand even more?

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - September 07 2009 :  11:07:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Mircobuss did you read anything in this thread??? I do not own this layout, it is my friends. When I move I will eventually build my own layout. In the meantime half of my fleet lives on his layout.

Thanks everyone for the comments, long as people want to see updates I'll provide. I have to laugh at your comment Alco Fan. Because we are not very good a executing & planning haha. We are building off a 20 year old layout supported by saw horses (its as bad as it sounds haha). Anytime we've needed to expand, we just try to go where ever there is room. The corner where staging is was one of the last places we could expand into hehe. That said the staging yard is actually supported by real bench work! Since we are pretty stuck on DC, the yard is going to be on its own power block. With each spur controlled by a 8 position rotary switch. We currently have 6 sidings, you'll have to wait & see for the other two Further down the road we are going to get hand throws for all the switches, we have two now just haven't installed them yet. Anywho what we did today.

Above the water heater looking down. Check out the spur against the wall and how much it can hold. That's my IHC 2-10-2 B&O running passenger duty, worked great on that consist!

Toying with the idea of a foam hillside to help blend the corner a little easier. Just mocking it up right now.

As you can see I did attempt to add (paint) some grass in today. And criticism on how I can make it look better I'm all open! Also going to weather between the ties a little also when I get a chance. Probably be awhile before we get at it again, but I'll keep the updates coming!

ILUVBUDWSR if your referring to my 2-6-6-2 that's a Mantra (model power) unit in WM livery. Noisy bugger but fun to watch. I'm a big fan of the WM & Chessie System also The F7 is one of my first engines and I'll never let it die. Any of the Chessie GP's you see in the background or the steam special engine belong to my friend.

Edited by - ChrisC on September 07 2009 11:07:58 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - September 09 2009 :  7:48:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Geez...looking at how many passenger cars you've fit in there, it looks like that section is almost as big as my whole layout O_o Haha...nice job though. It's always fun to see pics of others' layouts
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 09 2009 :  10:45:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ah ok whoops sorry must of missed that part *blushes* he do got a neato layout tho Love the expansion & stuff too

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - December 31 2009 :  01:53:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So rental layout took one for the team tonight unfortunately. There are no pics of the damage, but I can walk you through it with this picture. Notice there is a train storage cabinet attached to the wall on the upper right.

Well we think due to ice behind the cinder block wallcausing cracks, the cabinet lost its mounting and came free of the wall Biggest damage to the layout was it wiped out the ramp going up to the bridge you see in the picture. No huge loss there other than a switch we had mounted up there for a mockup of upper level staging above the yard. It hit the switch so hard it kinked it at 45 degrees. The trolley was still parked in the same spot as it is in the photograph and it got thrown. Its in a questionable state right now. Several pieces of rolling stock inside the case took on damage. Thankfully all of the locos we had stored in the case were old and broken in the first place. Although the American Flyer Hudson we had in there might have took some damage. On the layout we had a few engines get knocked around. Amazingly, my IHC 2-10-2 (parked far right side in the photo) was almost directly under the cabinet and somehow dove to safety. However my friend's Rivarossi Hudson that was right next to it took a pretty big hit and isn't running the same. Which is a total shame because it ran like a watch before. The Bessemer SD7 in the photo also got knocked around but appears to be ok aside from a damaged handrail.

All in all I suppose things could have been worse. Right now we haven't been doing much with the layout (aside from running trains every so often) since I've been getting my new house squared away. Heck I haven't even had time to start on my kitbash project yet . Rental layout will probably get some more updates in coming months. The new staging yard now has some backdrop buildings & trees. We just got into messing around with LED's so many old locos are getting new lights. And we have several candidates up for remotoring if I ever find the time (and soon as the greenberg show gets back here so I can stock up a few more motors). So as always stay tuned!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 31 2009 :  10:22:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
not cool dude I'm sorry & I really wanted to see a pic of that trolley too That's why you shouldn't hang cabinets above layouts

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 20 2010 :  12:11:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Making the best of a bad thing, I decided to do something with the smashed bridge track...

The new staging is finally starting to look like something. Still needs some more paint on the ground. I was going to do it but haven't had time. Wanted to drybrush some brown and a little more green in spots.

And my friends Dad is at it again. He built a hill and moved several houses onto it. Then constructed a sound wall behind it. Oddly enough it looks pretty good. The white house on the left is a actual model of his boyhood home, he built it years ago and just found it in the attic.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 20 2010 :  07:18:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking good there Can we see the trolley? Was wondering was it custom painted or did you buy it like that? Cause it resembles a PE Red Car thats real neeat house of your freind's dad made

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 20 2010 :  09:51:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Looks great! I love your friend's boyhood home...did they have a Porche?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - February 20 2010 :  10:35:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Sorry to hear about the avalanche. I would have given my eye teeth to have grown up with a layout like that.

If the Hudson didn't take direct hit, it probably just knocked something loose or out of alignment inside.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 20 2010 :  11:35:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Chris: Your still having a lot of fun I can see. That is a very good thing. Your friends dads, dads home looks very nice. It is odd to see a layout that spread out, where you can get at all the track. Is the lima 0-4-0 back running again. How did the repair of the broken down overpass come out. Is it as strong as the bridge it leads on too. Is the dangling NH E unit back in service. Did the locomotive engineer recover from the stress of hanging over the precipice. The Walters coaling tower fits nicely into the bypass holding yard, or whatever you call it. I hope the Rivarossi loco is running good again. The layout lighting is good and allows for nice clear photos to be taken.
Keep having fun. frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on February 20 2010 11:38:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 20 2010 :  12:19:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Lookin' good Chris! I like the little neighbourhood on the hill. Very cool looking

cheez

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - February 21 2010 :  09:53:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
Looking good! I like the sheer volume of rolling stock, locomotives, and features you've packed into the space. It looks really nice. Great job!

Kinda off topic... but even as pretty as I think trains look passing by houses from a modeling perspective, I don't think I'd actually want to live that close to railroad tracks.

Edited by - JohnnyKane on February 21 2010 09:55:05 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 21 2010 :  7:40:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Microbus - Its a Bowser in Pacific Electric colors. (the one listed below is a new one, my friends is pretty old).
http://www.bowserorders.com/.sc/ms/dd/HO%20Bowser%20Miscellaneous--PCC%20Trolley/4875959/Bowser%20F%20Line%20PCC%20%20Pacific%20Electric%20Car%201061
http://www.sunbirdtrainmart.com/PCC%20car.jpg

59Chevy - Oddly enough yes my friend owns a 71' 911T, and 72' 914 (1.7L), and a 2003 Boxster S in sliver (hence what you see in the driveway haha). We know each other from autocrossing together. Cars are the first hobby

Nickelplate - Hudson is ok again and back in service. It ran a little funny for awhile, they opened it up and did some tweaking and its seems pretty normal again. We now have several Rivarossi streamlined Dryefus Hudsons on the way as a direct result of how much my friend enjoyed that engine lol. You can see it next the new coaling tower, parked just behind the E8.

toptrain & cheez - Thanks for the comments! Again most the work on the layout is done by my friends Dad. Though we have moved/laid new track from time to time. But he basically built the new yard, houses on the hill (heck that whole area of the layout). The scene with the dangling E7 was just me screwing around with stuff we had laying around. E7 has been broken forever, figured I'd put it on display haha. The 0-4-0 was never down, I just posed it on the mountain for that one shot. It runs around quite a bit! Only thing that sucks to the total lack of roadbed and some beat to death sections of track. His Dad will sometimes "make it fit" when laying down track into turns. Combine that with warped homasote and some engines just have trouble staying on. Not their fault, the track is just a little to rough for them. When my layout comes you can bet the trackwork will be 100% different!

quote:
Looking good! I like the sheer volume of rolling stock, locomotives, and features you've packed into the space. It looks really nice. Great job!

Yea, that's a huge problem actually! We packed the display case full long ago. And the new yard as you can see is a traffic jam already. We really need to pull some of the older rolling stock off the layout to make room. Between the 3 of us there are a billion engines just sitting around. I almost feel bad for them because we can't cycle them enough to keep them from sitting too long. And every show we goto we always buy something, that's another bad habit. We are planning on building two more display cases (one for the rental layout and one for me to keep at home). In its current configuration I really don't think we can expand the layout any more...I think...

Edited by - ChrisC on February 21 2010 7:41:59 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 22 2010 :  7:04:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
quote:
Only thing that sucks to the total lack of roadbed and some beat to death sections of track. His Dad will sometimes "make it fit" when laying down track into turns. Combine that with warped homasote and some engines just have trouble staying on. Not their fault, the track is just a little to rough for them. When my layout comes you can bet the trackwork will be 100% different!

I know that feeling O_o The track on my old layout was exactly the same. Starting from scratch really helped though as I didn't have buildings cluttering up my working surface. Flextrack helps smooth things out as well ;)

JohnnyKane
Big Six

OT

Posted - February 22 2010 :  7:16:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JohnnyKane to Buddylist
quote:

I know that feeling O_o The track on my old layout was exactly the same. Starting from scratch really helped though as I didn't have buildings cluttering up my working surface. Flextrack helps smooth things out as well ;)

Originally posted by DaCheez - February 22 2010 :  7:04:59 PM

I did my N scale coffee table entirely in flexi-track. I couldn't find the radius I needed in production track.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 201  ~  Member Since: March 14 2009  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - February 22 2010 :  8:10:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
quote:
59Chevy - Oddly enough yes my friend owns a 71' 911T, and 72' 914 (1.7L), and a 2003 Boxster S in sliver (hence what you see in the driveway haha). We know each other from autocrossing together. Cars are the first hobby

Same here...cars in the summer, trains in the winter. I've got a '59 Impala, '65 Corvair and a '84 El Camino.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 10 2010 :  1:58:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
That spray paint you used, is it the textured stuff used for outdoor furniture?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 10 2010 :  5:37:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hey I just realized what the school bus in the 1st & 2nd pic is boy am I jealous I want one too But still awesome layout dude

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 11 2010 :  01:58:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
quote:
That spray paint you used, is it the textured stuff used for outdoor furniture?

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - March 10 2010 :  1:58:56 PM

Yup same stuff. I made a post about it awhile ago in the kitbashing forum.
http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7251

As you can see over in the staging yard I painted a wee bit of green, but never got beyond that. Still for a base color it works out ok in my book.

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - March 11 2010 :  09:14:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
The coarse or fine textured?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 11 2010 :  1:10:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Its fairly smooth to the touch (though it still feels alot like the homosote it covers). I'm not sure if the spray can said anything about being fine or textured. Though the actual coloring that comes out of the can is pretty choppy looking. And looks alot better than just plain old grey.

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 15 2011 :  01:54:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
So its been awhile since I gave a update on the happenings on my friends combined layout. The biggest change you should know is that his Dad retired from his job finally. Leaving him the untold amounts of time to tinker with the layout. He's built more things in the past 2 months than the past year lol. Here are a few of the changes.

One of the bigger things was a track realignment off the new bridge section. We just finally got fed up with the larger steamers & 6 axle Athearn diesels jumping the track coming off the bridge. The switch in the far back corner was switched out from a #4 to a #6. The changes were good, the big engines were happy.

There was this brick building sitting around collecting dust on the layout. My friend's Dad also had a army of log cars & log trucks with nowhere to go. I suggested why not turn the old brick building into a saw mill? He took it a bit further than I expected...much further lol.

He added a bunch of various landforms to make things a little more hilly. Some good, some I have no clue what to make of. This one was nice, more parking is always welcome. Though what you can't see, is these tracks have no switch to the mainline lol. Needs bumpers still, I'm probably going to make some up out of scratch for them like I've done in a few other places on the layout.

Propped up a few buildings in the middle of town, no reason, he just felt like it haha.

There have been some nice scenic additions though. A refinery now sits in the center of the layout. See the steel slab cars rolling by? He built those as well.

A lift out bridge, compete with lights, now connects the main layout to the recently built staging yard.

And the staging yard itself has grown more as well.

Finally...I bet your layout doesn't have one of these. A totally scratchbuilt sewage treatment plant. I dunno why he though the layout needed this, but damn did he do a good job. The holding tank is a dog food can. Building, piping, and railings were all built from leftover parts.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 15 2011 :  1:14:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
awesome WOW! Still needs crossing & CTC signals
Hope my future layout looks this good
I sees a HW Railroad tanker!
What's with the Chessie loco with the exposed engine?

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - February 15 2011 :  3:51:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
He did a great job on those additions. I especially like the lighted bridge Any idea what he used to make the water for the river and the sawmill?

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - February 16 2011 :  12:23:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
I doubt we'll ever get working signals or crossings. The layout is so old we are lucky to get a few solid minuets without anything derailing lol. I bought the HW Railroad tanker at a flea market. Perfect condition! I had one as a kid, this new one lives on the rental layout. The GP30 with the exposed prime mover was one of my friend's Dad's projects. He took a Athearn dummy (all the other GP30's shown are powered) and cut open the long hood. Bought a model prime mover, painted it lime green because he's color blind. Not his best work when viewed up close lol. However he just repainted a old AHM switcher they had to a totally different road name. I was outright shocked at how well it came out I'll have to get pictures of it.

DaCheez I'm pretty sure the water you see is just more epoxy from woodland scenics I think? Same stuff used on the rivers. He actually dug down into the 20+ year old homasote, painted it brown, added the logs, then poured in the epoxy. The incinerator (sliver cone looking thing) and the small hut located on the water where the logs enter are both scratch built. The bridge is a bit of a pain when you need back in the corner. Plus it took almost a month to get two matching light kits to finish the bridge!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 16 2011 :  09:04:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
Lime Green actually loooks pretty cool on it hehe Makes it stand out

ChrisC
Hudson

B&O

Posted - March 04 2012 :  10:11:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ChrisC to Buddylist
Some updates from the rental layout. My friend's fleet of Rivarossi Dreyfus Hudsons has grown to epic proportions thanks to a bookshelf he bought awhile ago.

This is disturbing.

I found out this project began a few days ago. I've mentioned before my friend's color blind Dad is the one who basically creates everything for the layout. Sometimes building things on a whim without any of us knowing till the project is half done. This is apparently going to be more parking
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Leaser Hills RR Topic Next Topic: My current layout  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000