Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 My Toothpick Tryouts
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: ideas on boxcab Topic Next Topic: Awesome, Wacky, and WTF Custom Paint Jobs  

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - August 25 2008 :  11:54:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Well I don't modify my rolling stock that much, mostly because I don't have a nearby hobby shop.
However, I will occasionally take bits of this and that to try and modify whatever it is I find plain looking.
So I present you with a couple of older projects of mine. Not the greatest of quality, but then I did use toothpicks for both.

This is actually a little something I did up only because I had bought an Athearn rail crane kit, but I didn't have a work caboose or something like that to go with it.

It actually started life as a Roundhouse 50' boxcar. I glued down all the toothpicks and then snipped the bits hanging off with a pair of scissors. It left quite a mess. Then I glued down some scrap steel track and coated everything with a flat black wash. Not pretty, but it's rarely out on the main line.

And this is a fairly new, cheap little Life-Like caboose. I started by building a replacement chimney out of all things, Q-Tips! Then I painted over the glossy black roof with a coat of flat paint.

Then I painted all the handrails white. I don't think that's prototypical, but I like the look. Then I tried a new idea for weathering. I took one end of a Q-Tip and dipped it into a flat black wash. Then I covered the whole area until it was sopping wet. Then I quickly rubbed it dry with the other end of the Q-Tip, which left some residue near rivets and edges.

Lastly, I built a floor out of toothpicks and applied some old wood stain. I also built a makeshift stove out of sprue parts. You can't see in the windows much, so it's not a big deal.

And there you have it, toothpick tryouts and the longest post you'll likely read today!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator 

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - August 26 2008 :  12:29:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
MM:

You think this is a long post!????

Go into GIC's section and have an eyeball at our verbosity King! And thats saying something considering I'm a wee tad loquacious myself!

Great to have you onboard. Spent a little time in your neck of the woods long before you were born. Nice little place called Cornwallis, not far from Digby. It was called CFRS Cornwallis or Canadian Forces Recruit School Cornwallis....

oh yeah and Go Leafs Go, the Sens Suck! (Sorry Cheez)

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - August 26 2008 :  12:34:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
Well I thought it was a tad long. I tend to over-explain things to the point of confusion.

Oh, and you should renumber all your locomotives to 1967, just so you won't forget how great your Toronto Make-Me-Laughs truly are.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - August 26 2008 :  12:22:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Neat idea on the caboose interior, I do not do any interiors on cabooses usually, what I do is make windows, sometimes partial open and fog them a little with mat clear paint, just to the point that they look older, sometimes I make them look broken or cracked, paint the inside a dark color also helps give a illusion that something is there. you can also use small pieces of wood in different shapes to represent items like bunks, upper areas and stoves, sinks, desks...all they have to do is be similsr in shape, no details needed, also if you place a person inside or hanging out of the door or window it helps with the illusion...Garret ...the "fanged one"

"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 08 2011 :  9:30:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Is That A Side Rod Switcher I See Making A Cameo Apperance? Me Likey! Can I Get More Pics?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: ideas on boxcab Topic Next Topic: Awesome, Wacky, and WTF Custom Paint Jobs  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000