Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: cobranut427 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann MDT 0-6-0
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann 35 Ton Switcher qualities Topic Next Topic: BACHMANN AUTO TRAIN LOCOMOTIVE ZINC ROT -SEVERE  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 07 2008 :  12:22:24 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Guys:

Does anyone know of any differences between the older Bachmann MDT and what is apparently a newer version? Apparently the newer runs much better. I want to base a litbash on the chassis so I'd like to find out. I don't know what year changes were made though.

Thanks,
Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - April 07 2008 :  06:13:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
"...base a litbash on the chassis..."

I will give it a shot...

I am not sure if the changes mimicked the TYCO MDT switcher. One I have is a 0-4-0 while a friend of mine has an 0-6-0...
The wipers on the wheels may have changed. I believe the early wipers were horizontal and rested on the wheels (as you look down on the wheel/axle assembly...), while the newer ones touched the inside (behind?) the wheels, between the chassis and the flange.

The 0-6-0 was really an 0-4-0 with the center set of wheels unflanged(?) for better traction than the straight 0-4-0 model. ...er, that is, the TYCO model. Bachmann had the actual 0-6-0.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on April 07 2008 06:15:33 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 07 2008 :  4:39:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Gareth,

The old version features the pancake motor, but the new version has a small can. It has very low speed gearing appropriate for a switcher. Power is picked up through the heavy split frame. The center axle is ungeared.

Hope that helps.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 07 2008 :  4:40:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

Can't be too hard to gear the center axle. NP does it have 6 wheel pick-up?

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 07 2008 :  5:42:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks guys!

Can't be too hard to gear the center axle. NP does it have 6 wheel pick-up?

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - April 07 2008 : 9:40:43 PM

For the most part. The center axle slot is higher than the others to keep it from derailing on uneven track, so I think the center set pick up current mainly on high spots.

I used modified IHC E8 front truck wipers to reinforce the current pickup from the front and rear wheels.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - April 07 2008 :  10:43:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Does it use the split chassie to carry current? If so, that would make adding rail wipers easy.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 08 2008 :  9:45:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Yes it does have a splt frame, but the plastic underframe covers it.

I just compared mine to an old AHM MDT, and it's been downsized considerably and looks much more like HO scale.

Gareth, I can scan my exploded view if you're interested.

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 08 2008 :  10:38:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey NP;

Got the scan, it's great. Sent an email reply.

Any chance of a side by side comparison shot(s). Don't want to stray too far into the GIC-ish realm! [:D] [:D] [:D]

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 08 2008 :  11:03:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
I'll have to work on it. [;)]
The Tyco Depot

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 09 2008 :  10:42:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Okay, in true GIC tradition, here's a side by side comparison of the New Bachmann MDT switcher, and the old AHM/Mehano 1960's version.

This next shot shows the difference in overall length.

Here is one of the E8 wipers I modified to improve electrical pickup. The hole in the center goes over the center axle, and the lower wipers get snipped to clear the underframe. The upper wipers rub the back of the powered wheels, while the center of the contact rests against the metal frame. No soldering necessary. [:D]

This is what the chassis looks like with the motor cover removed.

And finally, this is the motor I installed in the AHM. It's a Canon motor from All Electronics that runs at only 4000 RPM at 12V, so this baby crawls. It runs better than the Bachmann now. You can see I had to do a little surgery to make it clear the hood, so imagine my shock when I discovered it only has 3 poles. Still, you can make this engine move so slowly you can't see it. It's really cool to watch the armature barely revolving.

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 09 2008 :  11:21:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Wait, wait!

Do yo have a Batman figure you could put on the roof of one of them!!!!????
[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

He'll love it!

Most peole don't get satirized while alive. Maybe roasted? It'll take his mind off the Ark he must be building in the backyard... Wonder what an STC Ark paint scheme looks like!?

Thanks Pal.

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on April 09 2008 11:22:13 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 10 2008 :  12:14:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Remember Gareth, crack is whack.

Did you post to the wrong thread?

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 10 2008 :  12:21:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hi NP:

Nope:

quote:
Okay, in true GIC tradition, here's a side by side comparison...

I was referring to a posting GIC did of his layout with a Batman figure hidden in plain sight that he alluded to!

What does...

quote:
mean?

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on April 10 2008 12:21:27 AM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 10 2008 :  12:29:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Hi NP:

Nope:

quote:
Okay, in true GIC tradition, here's a side by side comparison...

I was referring to a posting GIC did of his layout with a Batman figure hidden in plain sight that he alluded to!

What does...

quote:
mean?
Originally posted by romcat - April 10 2008 : 05:21:00 AM

It means crack is evil, spooky, and really bad karma, man, because I had no freaking idea what you were talking about and figured you must have been smoking toenail clippings or something.

I haven't been here that long, so that sort of in-joke is lost on me. Sorry.

Are the pictures of any help?

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 10 2008 :  12:35:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey NP:

Threads there but pics don't work, but on his LO there's a Batman figure on the roof of a building and it was a mystery to find it hence my joke!

-Gareth

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - April 10 2008 :  02:37:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Hey NP,

Thanks for the photos of you motor "adjustments"! I picked up a couple of those Canon motors for the exact same purpose. Now I know not to panic if it doesn't fit the first time. Cutting into the motor for clearence would never have occured to me. Thanks again for that!!

Hey Romcat,
I found Bat Man! He's on the ......
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 10 2008 :  03:47:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
No problem, Hypop. Pry the tabs up carefully on top of the motor, remove the armature, reassemble and cut about 1/4 the diameter away with a razor saw (I used an old Atlas track saw). There's plenty of room if the lugs are parallel to the saw blade. As you can see in one photo, there is plenty of clearance for the magnet. I cleaned the filings out carefully before reinstalling the armature.

The old motor shaft is larger than 2mm, so I used thin silicone tubing from an old grill lighter as an adapter for the worm, then secured it with CA. I tried clear tubing for electronics applications, but it must not be even because the worm always ended up eccentric.

The Tyco Depot

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 10 2008 :  10:15:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
"figured you must have been smoking toenail clippings or something."

Ok, I give Nelson. What kind of high do you get from smoking toenail clippings?

[:D] Now that has made my day... :)))

Were you at Woodstock???

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mix3d3m0ti0n5
Little Six

Chessie Wink

Posted - April 10 2008 :  11:25:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mix3d3m0ti0n5 to Buddylist
ha ha! batman maybe swimming for his life if we get a ton of rain again tonight (but hopefully the problem that caused it all is now fixed, too)
~anna
-----------------------------------
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 105  ~  Member Since: December 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - April 10 2008 :  2:29:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Oh, so this is what happens when I'm out contemplating the use of duct tape and a sawzall to convert one of my old cars into a boat?* A fella gets spoofed?

Ha, I rather enjoyed it. Dig away!

I like that can motor conversion too. I have an older bachmann MDT that runs well, but I might try to convert it if a suitable motor turns up somewhere.
*sigh* I had to throw so many old computer drives out not too long ago...

*(They always said necessity is the mother of invention... river is actually more like 5 feet from flood stage in certain areas now)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - April 10 2008 :  3:40:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
"figured you must have been smoking toenail clippings or something."

Ok, I give Nelson. What kind of high do you get from smoking toenail clippings?

[:D] Now that has made my day... :)))

Were you at Woodstock???
Originally posted by Mike - April 10 2008 : 3:15:09 PM

Given that I was only 6 in 1969, it wasn't likely. I had a friend at work who attended, and tried to convince me what a momentous historical event it was. I had all I could do not to laugh in his face. He didn't tell me if they tried toenail clippings, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure there was worse floating around in that mud.

quote:
I like that can motor conversion too. I have an older bachmann MDT that runs well, but I might try to convert it if a suitable motor turns up somewhere.
*sigh* I had to throw so many old computer drives out not too long ago...
Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - April 10 2008 : 7:29:22 PM

Those old pancake drives are difficult to retrofit. I suppose you could find a worm that would match the big spur gear. Did you strip those drives of their motors?

The Tyco Depot

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - April 10 2008 :  4:25:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
You could tell anyone you were at Woodstock, nobody would remember anyway!

[:D]
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - April 10 2008 :  4:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hry GIC:

I'd say the comparo pictures amount to a Tyco Cult `Omage! for ya! [:D] [:D] [:D]

How's the Ark coming?

Remember to tell the Mrs., that despite the fact we're obviously a Cult, we don't practice Polygamy! [^] [^] [^] [^]

-Gareth

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - April 10 2008 :  4:49:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
Those old pancake drives are difficult to retrofit. I suppose you could find a worm that would match the big spur gear. Did you strip those drives of their motors?
Originally posted by NickelPlate759 - April 10 2008 : 3:40:59 PM

I had enough spare drives and carcasses to build about 4 P-II/III class machines at one point, but finally just got tired of the wasted space. I *used* to scavenge motors and mechanical bits but honestly rarely used them, so again... I reclaimed the space without a second thought. In fairness that was over two years ago and I've only recently given thought to kitbashed repower projects. But I have plenty enough to keep me busy even before them. I actually have an operating (electric) piggyback loader that needs to be re-geared and powered first.

The Bachmann MDT I have is the older pancaker... I was surprised to find it so similar to the DD40 drive. But the MDT runs much better. That DD40 was one disappointing loco, even by Bachmann "crap era" standards.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on April 10 2008 4:49:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 15 2011 :  01:53:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
There Was One Heck of A Difference WIth The N Scale Version. The First Was Plastic, With VERY oversized Wheels, The Second Chassis Was Plastic, But Smaller Wheels. The Third, Some Major Improvements Were Made. It Was Given A Die Cast 2 Piece Chassis. Much Better, But Still Crappy. Now The Current Version. It Has A Newer Die Cast Chassis With Better Gears And Other Add Ons. It is A Fantastic Runner Considering its Price. Never Gotten One Thought. But Seen Em Run.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - October 23 2011 :  7:58:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist

Does anyone have a picture to compare this one too? Mine is wider and longer I beLIEve

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann 35 Ton Switcher qualities Topic Next Topic: BACHMANN AUTO TRAIN LOCOMOTIVE ZINC ROT -SEVERE  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000