Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 31 ]  [ Total: 31 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann 35 Ton Switcher qualities
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Bachmann Steam Topic Next Topic: Bachmann MDT 0-6-0  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  10:34:44 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Gents;

Anyone have one of the Bachmann 35 ton Switchers? It looks a little bit like the Tyco Davenport in the sense of having an oversized cab.

I'm interested in the running qualities....

If you've had one and run it, or currently have one and run it, let me know how it ran.

Sidenote; if your feedback is monosyllabic save it for puns please. "They're cool" is not a review of anything except maybe Jefferson Airplane!

Thanks,
Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 28 2011 :  11:25:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
They are typical low end locomotives in that they run OK, but not well enough for use as a switcher. I found that, by cannabalizing one to replace the traction ring equpped drivers with a driver not so equipped, it greatly improved electrical pickup. In real life they wouldn't have pulled more than 5-7 cars anyway. The parts of the newer ones are not interchangable with the older ones, the newer ones (from the parts I ordered for my older one) now have a worm gear drive and completely redesigned frame. I was able to work those new parts in, but only with massive quatities of experience and ...umm... redesigning...

With that redesigned mechanism, they may well be a better model than in the past, but I don't know this first hand..

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  11:31:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Shay; got pics of those mods?

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 28 2011 :  11:51:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
It just consisted of opening up the new axles to receive the old drivers, then gauging them with an NMRA standards gauge...

The center drivers are riveted in. You can see the helical cut on the new gears for mating with a worm gear. This added a little chatter with the straight cut spur gears, but not objectionable.

Edited by - shaygetz on November 28 2011 11:53:36 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  12:08:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Thanks Shay.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 28 2011 :  3:18:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Which Switcher are you talking about? The 3 Axle Plymouth? Or the 2 Axle foobie?
And BTW, Island Modelworks has a Sale today!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 28 2011 :  4:30:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Gareth,

Here's the new drive.

It's very smooth and has low speed gearing, although the Bachmann motor is prone to stalls due to the very small commutator & brushes.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 28 2011 :  4:40:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Nelson, can you please toss the Pic you had of a Plymouth MDT?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1102  ~  Member Since: July 28 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 01 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 28 2011 :  4:50:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Well Heres mine!

And I don`t mean to be rude in any way shape or form, but they are called Plymouths and could you please call them that to not confuse critter guys.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:16:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nelson;

Different Critter. 4 wheeler only but also a Bachmann the one I'm pursuing.

and Ian, read it again before you rush to tell us whats true.

Traditionally the larger Tyco Diesel which some call American OO because the body shell is more akin to 1/76th in scale is referred to as a Davenport.

The little centrecab Tyco/Mantua is referred to as a Plymoutth. It is in fact a CR-4 and somewhere I posted prototype pics for people.

Yours is what appears to be your oft posted "N" scale Plymouth or a reasonable facsimile therof. Not the same thing at all.

Shay, sorry should have said earlier i meant the four wheeler not the six. I do have the six wheeler. but I particularly like the sideframe detail on the 35T unit.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on November 28 2011 7:31:40 PM

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:18:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Here is one of the switcher I have. Done up as N B Southern. It says Tyco made in Hong Kong.
It runs great you can almost see the ditch lights on both ends if you look real close. This was my first weathering job so don't laugh I'm trying.

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:25:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
I was going by Nelsons Pic and his parts diagram Man, does that thing have alot of parts for a small little thing!

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:28:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I dunno Ken, I think it looks fine.

The thing about weathering and aging.... is it's appropriate to it's locality. An engine weathered that operates where Hypo, or Ben live would look very different than here in south central Ontario where you and I are where they would show a lot more rust than the SW units...

Hey you should do an RCAF Blue one!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Ken
Hudson

old feller

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:33:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ken to Buddylist
Thanks Gearth. The RCAF one is in the works.
I have a Tyco transformer set without the buildings and would like to know what it worth??

FIDDLEHEAD RAILWAY CO.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 468  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: February 29 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:38:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Tony's around, I'll leave that for the Centre Fielder.

Like that your little switcher sports "Hooks" and not "Bars"!

...in the north Atlantic Squadron!!!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:49:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Gareth, I think you're confoozled. That one you show was an AHM/Mehano product, and may have been picked up later by Model Power. http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id30.html Bachmann wouldn't import Mehano.

Ian, it's not bad to work on, really. I think the snap out weight in the front is the provision for a decoder.

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:55:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nelson look at the box behind it. I know the box could be wrong, but there are a few listed in the Bachmann category on evilbay. Wonder if there was some cross-pollinating?

-G

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 28 2011 :  7:56:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Well, I'll be dinged. They did.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id48.html

They must have grabbed it from AHM in 1988 when AHM was floundering.

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 28 2011 :  8:25:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
The finish of the casting particularly the underframe seems better. The definition of he suspension better it appears....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 29 2011 :  12:59:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
No, same tooling. It's just that the Santa Fe frame is molded in silver plastic that it highlights the sideframe detail. The only change they made was an inexpensive can motor.

Gareth, why don't you try one of these instead?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-25-TON-INDUSTRIAL-DIESEL-HO-Powered-Railroad-Locomotive-Kit-GL7091-/250941946798

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-23-TON-BOX-CAB-DIESEL-HO-Powered-Railroad-Locomotive-Plastic-Kit-GL7089-/250939505490

The Tyco Depot

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 29 2011 :  02:37:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
May be right about the silver.

I know of the two you posted links for but like the MP Hustler wanna be, I hate skirts on the chassis-Hurl....

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - November 29 2011 :  3:58:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
quote:

Romcat... where the hell do you keep digging up these oddball critters from?!?!?! Do I get to try casting the shell on that one as well?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 29 2011 :  4:53:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Funny you should mention that!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 29 2011 :  6:37:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
May be right about the silver.

I know of the two you posted links for but like the MP Hustler wanna be, I hate skirts on the chassis-Hurl....

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - November 29 2011 :  02:37:54 AM

Yeah, except the Grandt Line is an accurate model, whereas the Model Power Hustler is a cheap toy knockoff.

The Tyco Depot

CNVIATyco
Big Boy

BC Rail

Posted - November 29 2011 :  7:18:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNVIATyco to Buddylist
Apparently NKP Lives in swithcer haven! Where do you get those pics? Nice Switcher!

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 29 2011 :  7:20:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nelson;

Isn't that little thing a GE 25T?

If it's a GE I consider it in the same category as Hellmart, and MicroSloth!

Linux; Live free or Die!

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification

Edited by - romcat on November 29 2011 7:36:37 PM

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - November 29 2011 :  7:28:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Oh, good Lord!

The Tyco Depot
Edited by - NickelPlate759 on November 29 2011 7:36:38 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - November 29 2011 :  7:37:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Nice to know my position is appreciated.

-Gareth

"A is A"
-Aristotle
Law of Identification
  Previous Topic: New Bachmann Steam Topic Next Topic: Bachmann MDT 0-6-0  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000