Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Custom HO vehicles
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Milwaukee on safari... Topic Next Topic: Shark nose art...why not on trains?  

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 23 2008 :  12:46:30 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
If you have customized HO vehicles -- whether you did them or not--please post here with pictures. The vans pictured below i bought from the GREAT G-I-C --A.KA. LUCIO CUSTOMS. These were former streetwhips that he dis-assembled and completely redone. The graphics were printed on an ALPS printer and apllied to the vans. Anyone who knows about printers-The ALPs is a bad-boy printer and hard to come by.

The vans-- 1974 Red Ford E100 Allied Auto Parts -- 1975 Black Dodge 100 Micro-Time Computers -- 1975 Brown Dodge 100 DJ Majik mobile dj van -- Blue 1975 Dodge 100 Grotts LocDoc mobile key/locksmithing van.

Custom CSX work trucks

Edited by - Brianstyco on March 26 2008 7:19:59 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator 

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - March 26 2008 :  7:40:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Wow, you have done an impressive job! They look great!

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - March 28 2008 :  8:47:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Mike--Thanks for the comment--but i did not make these--the vans were done by G-I-C from the forum here. The CSX trucks i picked up at a train show that are custom Boley trucks. The container car was included with the trucks--i paid $20.00 for all--a steal. The guy did not want to take any thing back home so i waited till near end of show and purchased.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - March 28 2008 :  9:06:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Good deal...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - May 11 2008 :  11:51:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Here is a custom Yellow Freight lines truck purchased off ebay. My dad also is employed with them at the Huge Charlotte NC terminal. The truck cab is by Boley and the trailer is custom-unknown manufacturer. The guy that does these does other truckiong companies also and custom food trucks such as Pizza Hut 53' refer truck that would go cool with Tyco's Pizza Hut.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 11 2008 :  11:59:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
These two were made from a Model Power hearse and a Micro Machines water wagon...

This lowboy combo was made from a promo for a European liquor. I just cut the bottle off the bed and replaced it with a front end loader...

Edited by - shaygetz on May 12 2008 12:01:42 AM
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - May 15 2008 :  2:29:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Shaygetz...I like that truck...cool way to do it, looks great...have a question as to how you made your roads, nice look, looks like some kind of sandpaper? also how did you do the crossings, again looks like wood...getting ready to do some roads and crossings on my layout and I love the look that you have created...Garret
"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:30:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Thank you Garret. The roads are made from asphalt shingle and the grade crossing are made from Campbells ties or match sticks, whichever I have on hand at the time. A How-to can be found here >>> http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3593/postdays=0/postorder=asc/highlight=inglenook/start=30.html
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 08 2008 :  8:42:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
I'm currently bashing out some reworked Life-Like pickup trucks. They're not painted yet but they will be in a couple weeks.

I shorten the beds of most of them by a scale 18"...

...Cape Hatteras surf rig...

...crew cab...

...trailer from remaining bits of crew cab...

...snow plow. I've had enough fun doing this that I'll be scavenging for more at an upcoming train show. Hope they help spur you folks who may have a couple pining away in a junk box to try something out with them.

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 09 2008 :  3:36:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Hmmm...not sure if these are HO scale, but they're the closest things I've got to custom painted vehicles. This is a set of 3 trucks I made in shop class last year. I made a set of streamliners like this as well...not sure where they are though...prolly kickin around under my layout.

-cheez
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 11 2008 :  6:27:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
shaygetz -- COOL Fords!! can't wait to see them painted[:D]

Dacheez -- very creative with the wood pcs in shop class -- Is Tim Hortons a Canadian co??

Edited by - Brianstyco on June 12 2008 2:44:52 PM

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - June 11 2008 :  9:11:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
Tim Hortons is a coffee and donut type place. And yes its Canadian.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3325  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: May 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - June 11 2008 :  10:33:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
Do they have WAFFLES?

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 12 2008 :  2:45:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Thanks Cheez[:D]

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 12 2008 :  9:09:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
In addition to the vans I made that Brian showed above, here is a sampling of the many "custom" vehicles on my layout:

The best tool in the HO-vehicle modeler's toolbox is a set of fine-tip and Silver Sharpies. Even the most basic and crude models (Life-Like Citation & F-250; Tyco Camaro) can be improved immensely with some appropriate touches of chrome. Color the wheel hubs first, that alone is a HUGE improvement. Trace the mold lines for side mouldings and window trim; color in lights and badges for more realism.

Try adding mismatched panels (that white beater Citation; the Camaro with a "primer job") for more interest. Add junk to pickup truck beds. Touch up the details and trim on a Matchbox truck (the red Peterbilt). A "For Sale" sign is a nice touch on an out-of-date model (Ford Galaxie).

You can even change the appearance altogether: The car in the bottom right, was a crude cast-metal slug that vaguely had a 1980 Mustang front end; painted and posed appropriately, it looks like my family's old Ford Granada. The IROC-Camaro and Datsun Z are both pull-back toys, but with taillights and other details painted, look great. The T-bird is painted to match my own car in real life.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on June 12 2008 9:15:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 12 2008 :  9:51:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey GIC:

Did you say a while back that you had a copy of "101 Projects for your Model Railroad"? There's a section in there called:

"Project 58- Shadow-paint molded on ladders and grabirons." did get inspiration from that?

-Gareth

Edited by - romcat on June 12 2008 11:25:32 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - June 12 2008 :  11:12:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
Nice work, Tony.

A couple more that show;

1. I'm no rivet counter...and...

2. I had a bit too much smoke on the water in the 70s...[:)]

Puppyfang
Big Six

shark1

Posted - June 13 2008 :  07:28:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Puppyfang to Buddylist
Tony...like those models, forgot about using a paint pen, thanks for reminding me... and shaygetz.. those two are wild, how fast is that model t...where is the family at...concert? Garret
"Though amid all the smoking horror and diabolism of a sea-fight, SHARKS will be seen longingly gazing up to the ship's decks, like hungry dogs round a table where red meat is being carved, ready to bolt down every killed man that is tossed to them . . ." by Herman Melville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 209  ~  Member Since: March 25 2008  ~  Last Visit: August 03 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - June 13 2008 :  08:20:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice work, Tony.

A couple more that show;

1. I'm no rivet counter...and...

2. I had a bit too much smoke on the water in the 70s...[:)]

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/1shaygetz/railcara.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/1shaygetz/partridgea.jpg

Originally posted by shaygetz - June 12 2008 : 11:12:16 PM

ROFLMAO!

I love those! If you're planning on making more, put me down for a set. [:D]

The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 13 2008 :  6:20:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
In addition to the vans I made that Brian showed above, here is a sampling of the many "custom" vehicles on my layout:

Originally posted by GoingInCirclez - June 12 2008 :  9:09:34 PM

G-I-C -- Awesome customized vehicle collection![:p]. I will have to go get me a silver sharpie

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - June 13 2008 :  7:38:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Shaygetz--cool concept on the Partridge bus.

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - June 14 2008 :  12:11:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Shaygetz, those are awesome. I actually have that bus somewhere, a Johnny Lightning release from about 10 years ago (too bad the Ecto-1 they did wasn't smaller). Is the Model T scratchbuilt? Nice use of a spare brake reservoir there ;)

Romcat - Never heard of that book, actually. Small Railroads You Can Build, 2nd. Ed. is the one I've evangelized before.

Brian - Don't forget a 6 or 10-pack of basic colors too! [^]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - June 14 2008 :  12:46:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
GIC:

What Was the book you did the review on some months ago???

-Gareth

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - August 25 2008 :  11:01:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
I realize it's been some time before anyone has posted anything, but I can't help but show you the first custom car I made.
Has anyone seen the movie "Wayne's World"?

Well I've also been known to buy the Fresh Cherries cars at WalMart, and one car in particular caught my eye.

Just paint on some little flames, swap out the front rim and you're ready to go!

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - August 25 2008 :  10:24:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
"EXCELLENT!"

Plus bonus points for trading out the rear axle/hubcaps to match

MM 1498
Big Boy

ICRAvatar

Posted - August 25 2008 :  10:46:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see MM 1498's MSN Messenger address  Add MM 1498 to Buddylist
"Party on Garth!"
"Party on Wayne!"

Classic.

- Matt -
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1021  ~  Member Since: August 24 2008  ~  Last Visit: January 05 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - August 25 2008 :  11:17:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
DUDE!!!!!!!

OOOps...just noticed your question, Tony. The model T is a modified Model Power hearse from their funeral parlor kit. The engine bell came from a Saturn V kit.

Edited by - shaygetz on August 25 2008 11:21:03 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - November 26 2020 :  12:57:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice repaints.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5977  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - November 26 2020 :  4:49:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
quote:
I realize it's been some time before anyone has posted anything, but I can't help but show you the first custom car I made.
Has anyone seen the movie "Wayne's World"?

Well I've also been known to buy the Fresh Cherries cars at WalMart, and one car in particular caught my eye.

Just paint on some little flames, swap out the front rim and you're ready to go!

Originally posted by MM 1498 - August 25 2008 :  11:01:32 AM

Party Time Excellent!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: May 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Milwaukee on safari... Topic Next Topic: Shark nose art...why not on trains?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000