Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 New Alco C430 SF with box and handrails
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rare C4301? Topic Next Topic: Virginian Century 430...2, 3 or 4 Versions?  

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 15 2006 :  2:10:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Tyco fans,
Just received a 235-21 SF Alco 430 Century in the opened original box with the handrail packet uninstalled and the break-in and oiling sheet. I know that this isn't a rare find as compared to other Tycos but it was a blast to have it to open and run on the track and break-in. It had been tested but was used little if at all. I was tempted to leave it in the box but was glad I didn't resist. I already have 2 Mantua SF 430's but wanted an example of the famous Power-torque version.

AF

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator 

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 15 2006 :  8:26:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
Isn't a blast getting a new engine, lubing it up, and letting it fly? Torque on, dude, torque on.
John Long
Edited by - jlong on October 15 2006 8:27:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 288  ~  Member Since: September 04 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 15 2006 :  8:43:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
AlcoFan:
Glad you decided to run your new acquisition as well. Tyco engines feel unwanted when confined in their boxes--like penned greyhounds they needs must stretch their legs and run...
MA
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 17 2006 :  02:07:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Congrats. The 430 is perhaps my favorite of Tyco's diesel offerings... it just looks good. Lots of variety in roadnames too.

Eventually, I might like to try collecting all the different 430's I could find... not an easy task with some roadnames, but you could probably get a dozen of the others for a c-note if you luck out in the right places. Even sometimes with Mantua trucks. Handrails are the aggravation though - especially since later (PT) models didn't even include them.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 17 2006 :  12:53:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
AlcoFan:
Be on the lookout, too, for the T235K Alco 430 kits. They came in the lidded hard cardboard box with the Crescent Pacific on the box lid. They are excellent and early offerings with commendable quality control on the mu-2 motor trucks and excellent decoration.
MagAc

As an aside, how do you like the old RoCo (AHM) 424s?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 446  ~  Member Since: December 09 2005  ~  Last Visit: October 28 2006 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 17 2006 :  7:41:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
I just won a Tyco/Mantua CBQ C430 with all the handrails that was in the AHM section of ebay. It comes with the origional AHM box. Very, very rare.
John Long
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 288  ~  Member Since: September 04 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 08 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 17 2006 :  10:41:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
MA,
I think I have a 424 AHM in bi-centennial colors. 4-wheel drive, sort of sporty look but has EMD type fan on roof. I'm having trouble getting the truck off the chassis to solder. I'd buy another one.
I would also like to get some of the T235ks. I think I saw one on the bay, NH within the last year, and it was reasonably priced. Thank for the heads-up.

JL
Congrats on the CBQ 430. "Good eye" finding one in the AHM page!
AF

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 18 2006 :  12:10:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Mag Ac,

i also have the C424 Bi-Cent. It comes with an open frame 5 pole motor that does run quite well and is quiet. There is enough room to add a flywheel to it as well. I had a spare Cannon motor and used it to replace the original. I also added electical pick-ups so all wheels now collect current. It is a 4 wheel drive with traction tires on 2 wheels. Send me your email address and I will send you photos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 18 2006 :  07:15:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
quote:
JL
AF

I had to study that one hard as it was advertised as AHM. It's unmistakebly Tyco which is what I wanted since I had one as a kid.

John Long

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 18 2006 :  1:11:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Jeez, John! That big honkin' "4301" on the side wasn't a hint?
(I know, I know, "bite me Tyco-goon. Ask me an O-scale question and I'll bury ye!")
MA

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 18 2006 :  1:24:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
[quote] [Jeez, John! That big honkin' "4301" on the side wasn't a hint?
(I know, I know, "bite me Tyco-goon. Ask me an O-scale question and I'll bury ye!")
MA/quote]

Uhhh....oh. The Santa-Fe has 4301 stamped on the side but I can't make out what's stamped on the side of the CBQ unit on both our Tyco Redbox pages and my ebay page. Oh well.

John Long

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 18 2006 :  1:32:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Speaking of 430's... there are TWO separate listings right now that feature two DIFERENT Penn Central 430's. One has a large red "4301", the other is the tiny white version. Both are red-boxed.

Red 4301 is with a passenger consist currently bringing $75, the other by itself is $25.

Both are suprisingly attractive. I'd might bid on one of them if I could justify it.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 18 2006 :  1:38:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
Jeez, John! That big honkin' "4301" on the side wasn't a hint?

Gasp! You mean that Chessie steam engine with a 4301 was really a prototype C430? Dang it! I shoulda bid! [:p]

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 18 2006 :  1:53:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
JohnL:
Apologies, buddy.

Circlez:
Tyco anomalies like 4301 on the goofball Chessie Pacific (competing for stupid livery honors with the Bachmann SP Daylight 4-8-4 in Chessie; sad to say I have both in the roundhouse) are a hazardous means of forum swordplay (too many different ways to get cut.)
I was about to suggest that, since you noticed how slick the Alco 430 looks in Penn Central, you hold out for the Tyco 430 Alco sporting the big fat "5628" on the sides and number board. (see early posts)
fellow Tycoot,
MA

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 18 2006 :  7:47:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
I've been gazing at warbonnet super 630's. Gotta have one. They look bitchin.
John Long

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 18 2006 :  8:12:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Warbonnet 430:
K235C and T235C, was initially listed as Spokane, Portland and Seattle. Like the GBW it was never produced, substituted with the big-selling Warbonnet. It IS a beauty, heading up a few sets as well, the excellent red box set "Alco Action Freight" springing immediately to mind (where the Warbonnet 430 is illustrated on the master-box cover painting.)
MagnoliaAcademy

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 18 2006 :  11:33:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Mag Ac,

I have a C430 in Santa Fe red+silver warbonnet you can have. Alas it is a dummy unit from Model Power, not a Tyco. Can you tell me the differences in the shells between them?
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 713  ~  Member Since: May 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 05 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 18 2006 :  11:57:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
John - oh, had I only known you a few months ago. I had a SF 630 that I cannibalized into rooftop building AC units. The 630 is an impressive beast... but IMHO the SF paint job was very wanting. Can't hold a candle to the 430's, or even the later GP20s. Tha 630 warbonnet was more like a... football.

But something tells me, had they done it in blue... I'da been all over that one.

MagAc - Hmm. So I should skip the mundane and go straight to bloodletting for "rarities", eh? Time to wield the hammer!

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 19 2006 :  2:15:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Mike:
Model Power C-unit differences? You might as well ask me to tell you what its like on the far side of the moon: Model Power is territory I've never explored. Don't know if I should out you on your Alcos, though. They are excellent models.

Circlez:
As the keyholder of 430 exotica you, most definitely, need to stick to the rarities. All kidding aside, however, it is darned interesting to me: the sheer number of multiple numbered and cross-numbered units in PC. Seems they are the variation champion in late-red and early brown box offerings. Everything from the 40' box to the switcher to the EMD to the streamliners to the EMD-Fs has variations and multiple numbers (don't recall if GP-20s have the same symptoms). Much like the 4301 on the Chessie long haul steam tender, the big 5628 on the PC Alco 430 looks pretty weird.
MagAc

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 19 2006 :  2:43:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Steve,

I may be wrong, but I think this 430 is technically a Tyco. I read the info on the Tyco C430 page and now believe this is one of the Mehano replacement locos. It is in Santa Fe colors and has the road number 8130. I bought 8 IHC C430s to use for parts. This loco was thrown in with the bunch.

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 19 2006 :  2:47:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Steve,

I may be wrong, but I think this 430 is technically a Tyco. I read the info on the Tyco C430 page and now believe this is one of the Mehano replacement locos. It is in Santa Fe colors and has the road number 8130. I bought 8 IHC C430s to use for parts. This loco was thrown in with the bunch.

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 19 2006 :  3:06:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Hypoponera:
Jeez, Mike, I'll have to take your word for whatever it's pedigree is. When it comes to so-called "brown-box" era Tyco offerings I'm woefully ignorant. I'm sure whatever Professor Emeritus Cook has on the brown box site is reliable. I, personally, lose complete interest in Tyco after about 1978 and the "new" Mantua splinter so I just don't know their stuff.
MagAc

Hypoponera
Mikado

BQ23-7

Posted - October 19 2006 :  3:28:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Hypoponera to Buddylist
Steve,

Don't feel bad. I really have no great interest in Tyco at all! I found this forum from Mr. Cook's AHM site. I have rebuilt a couple Tyco shells, C630 and GP20. But I have no need now as I can get Mantua GP20s from the mid-1990s. These have great mechanisms so nothing to do but strip and repaint. I might Use another C630 to rebuild an AHM C628 into a low nosed C630.

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 19 2006 :  8:09:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Mike:
No argument from me regarding the last generation of Mantua Geeps--superb operational characteristics, reasonable prices, nice models, quite amenable to super-detailing.
MagAc
It was also thoughtful of Mantua to offer a plethora of liveries for the serious ready-to-run fan who prefers operation to modeling.

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - October 19 2006 :  10:59:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
MagAc - Ooh, do I get to wear a badge? :) I almost hate to admit it, but that infamous find of mine was almost pure luck. It was only thanks to repeated viewings of Tony Cook's site that a lone 430 in the back of a rummage bin made me do a double-take. And it was only the second I'd ever owned. But you're right, it sets a high standard. I'm coming to appreciate the mundane offerings a bit more. Sadly, money's not infinite and my buddy can only get to so many estate sales a year (HO isn't even his thing, anayway).

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on October 19 2006 11:19:59 PM

MagnoliaAcademy
Hudson

Posted - October 19 2006 :  11:19:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MagnoliaAcademy to Buddylist
Circlez:
The Tycognoscenti should bestow you with a special hat, actually. We all get defined sometimes by fortunate finds or lucky turns of fate, I suppose. I was "defined" for years as the "kid who owns all the standard gauge." I eliminated that monicker by selling every last bit of it and began exploring the uncharted territory of vintage OO and HO; I've never looked back. It was a relatively lonely passion for a very long time.
MagnoliaAcademy

jlong
Big Six

Posted - October 28 2006 :  2:56:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jlong to Buddylist
quote:
JL
AF

I just got the following email from the seller. LMAO. Of course I replied to ship it.

quote:
As I was packing your Burlington Locomotive...I found that it is a TYCO instead of AHM and it was in a AHM box. Please let me know if you still want...I am sorry for the mistake...Thanks (name witheld)

John Long
  Previous Topic: Rare C4301? Topic Next Topic: Virginian Century 430...2, 3 or 4 Versions?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000