Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Feb 03 - Feb 09, 2008
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW - Dec 30 - Jan 05, 2008 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Jan 27 - Feb 02, 2008  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 03 2008 :  3:54:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist

My first posting in the Loco of the Week threads. I might as well post one of my favorites. Being a Tyco fanatic and a lover of sharks, it's hard to find a more pleasing engine. The fact that it's an all metal engine makes it that much sweeter.

This engine is a Mantua factory painted 1959 release of the Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose diesel. The paint is close to flawless, I was lucky to come across this engine in the condition this one is in. While the paint scheme is not prototypical at all, I happen to find it very appealing.

You'll notice the back trucks are not in their original form as the gray is definately different and someone started to detail the cylinders, hoses, etc..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator 

outofstorage
Switcher

Posted - February 03 2008 :  4:04:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add outofstorage to Buddylist
Very nice!!!!! I also like Sharks. Any chance of seeing the insides of it? Curious to see drive components. Gregg
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: November 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: January 12 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 03 2008 :  4:34:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice!!!!! I also like Sharks. Any chance of seeing the insides of it? Curious to see drive components. Gregg

Originally posted by outofstorage - February 03 2008 :  3:04:39 PM

This is packed away right now, the photo was taken last year. Towards the end of the month I will be earnestly going through all the items I have to thin out my collection and use that money to target more of the items I really want. Nothing wrong with what I'll be selling but I just can't collect everything under the sun. Many items were acquired due to being in lots I bought to attain certain other items.

When I begin that process I'll have the camera out and see what I can get pictures of.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ABE
Switcher

Posted - February 03 2008 :  4:34:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ABE to Buddylist
Hi Todd,
Very nice UP Shark in the UP paint, nicest one I saw yet, where did you pick it up at ?..... This is a very hard paint scheme to find as you dont see to many in UP paint, I picked one up at York's TCA meet about 10-12 yrs ago but not as nice as this one & never saw any since at any shows, did see one on ebay a few yrs back but again none since,
I put a hobby drive in a custom painted Mantua Shark & it runs & pulls very nice, much better than the orginal Mantua drive units, I will be at Allentown show & will have a nice Metal Mantua Shark in PRR Brunswick green, custom painted for sale on the table, will also have alot of older Tyco/Mantua cars & etc,..................... Abe

Abe Schwartz
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: May 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 03 2008 :  4:36:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Todd,
Very nice UP Shark in the UP paint, nicest one I saw yet, where did you pick it up at ?..... This is a very hard paint scheme to find as you dont see to many in UP paint, I picked one up at York's TCA meet about 10-12 yrs ago but not as nice as this one & never saw any since at any shows, did see one on ebay a few yrs back but again none since,
I put a hobby drive in a custom painted Mantua Shark & it runs & pulls very nice, much better than the orginal Mantua drive units, I will be at Allentown show & will have a nice Metal Mantua Shark in PRR Brunswick green, custom painted for sale on the table, will also have alot of older Tyco/Mantua cars & etc,..................... Abe

Originally posted by ABE - February 03 2008 :  3:34:16 PM

Ready to be shocked? I picked it up on eBay for $14 plus shipping.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 03 2008 :  4:58:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice diecast Shark! Can you tell us about the avatar Shark and it's EMD trucks, interesting?
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 03 2008 :  6:20:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Nice diecast Shark! Can you tell us about the avatar Shark and it's EMD trucks, interesting?

Originally posted by Alco Fan - February 03 2008 :  3:58:20 PM

Yes that was given to me by someone I have a great deal of respect for. A very knowledgeable train enthusiast. I would never have pointed that out to the gentleman. However he did point it out to me later on and I'm going to have to revisit the topic with him.

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - February 04 2008 :  1:19:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
Speaking of old metal locomotives.[?]

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 04 2008 :  6:20:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Todd:

What motor isin that Shark of yours? The one at the top of this thread.

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 04 2008 :  6:29:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Todd:

What motor isin that Shark of yours? The one at the top of this thread.

-Gareth

Originally posted by romcat - February 04 2008 :  5:20:56 PM

When I dig it out in a couple of weeks I'll let you know.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 04 2008 :  6:36:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
I'm thinking trade!?

Let me know when you've dug it out.

-G
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Adams
Big Boy

Posted - February 04 2008 :  11:29:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Adams to Buddylist
Here's my LotW: For any Tyco enthusiast, no introduction necessary! The Spirit of '76 10-Wheeler is on display in the tiny yard at RGN Junction, in far West Texas. To the south (left), are 26 miles to the San Carlos coal mine, and immediately to the north (right) is the junction with the SP's Sunset Route. The model loco is surprisingly similar to the real SP locos that worked the RGN line, although the prototypes only had 4 drivers. The small yard has 3 tracks, uses Peco power-routing switches, and the station in the background is a scrap piece of pine (false front) with details painted on.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 874  ~  Member Since: October 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: June 09 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 05 2008 :  01:13:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
SHAAARRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKK!!!

okay, I will settle down...

Fantasy Shark...

heGOTCHA!

Sometimes a fantasy is all ya need.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 05 2008 :  01:22:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
quote:
I'm thinking trade!?

Let me know when you've dug it out.

-G

Originally posted by romcat - February 04 2008 :  5:36:53 PM

No Gareth, you're thinking crazy, please go take your meds.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - February 05 2008 :  01:30:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
You don't know what I was gonna offer, but ok.

-G

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 05 2008 :  1:34:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Here is my Proto SCL loco. smooth runner--pulled 25 cars easily. quiet as an Kato or Atlas

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Roy
Little Six

Posted - February 05 2008 :  4:01:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Roy to Buddylist
quote:
Here's my LotW: ...The Spirit of '76 10-Wheeler...

Beautiful! Snow white, with red and blue stripes...and a SCREAMING YELLOW bell.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 108  ~  Member Since: December 25 2007  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2012 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - February 06 2008 :  01:41:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Here's my LotW: ...The Spirit of '76 10-Wheeler...

Beautiful! Snow white, with red and blue stripes...and a SCREAMING YELLOW bell.

Originally posted by Roy - February 05 2008 : 8:01:59 PM

Yeah, screaming yellow... but look at those domes!
Snow white, yeah... almost snow-blinding.

Sure is a sharp train, however.

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - February 06 2008 :  9:48:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist

new from ebay...Athearn gear drive U-28B
SCL Bicentenial..needs a lil work...but runs great

midmo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - February 06 2008 :  9:49:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
I wish I knew how to shrink the pics!!!

midmo
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - February 07 2008 :  01:44:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
quote:
I wish I knew how to shrink the pics!!!

midmo

Originally posted by midmo1 - February 06 2008 :  8:49:52 PM

Ted--change your pixel settings(ex--600x800) in your photo shop /editor or on your camera to get the picture smaller
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 09 2008 :  3:11:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
I hope I am not too late to post. This is my first time. Here are my first HO tyco diesel and steam engine that my parents gave me in the 60's.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - February 09 2008 :  4:51:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
I just received this from the 'bay. The box was marked something aweful but the loco is mint.

Photoshopped by ILUVBDWSR

Alco Fan
Edited by - Alco Fan on February 12 2008 08:46:02 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW - Dec 30 - Jan 05, 2008 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Jan 27 - Feb 02, 2008  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000