Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Yellow_TankCar ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Locomotive of the Week (LOTW)
 LOTW - Dec 30 - Jan 05, 2008
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: LOTW - Feb 10 - Feb 16, 2008 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Feb 03 - Feb 09, 2008  

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  3:35:10 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Well Guys, the year is winding down and so to close out the LotW section for the yaer of 2007 here is one of my few steamers!

It's a Mehano Hudson and it showed up by "accident?" in a batch along with a "parts" unit. Just a real handsome beastie.

So, guys lets close out the year with a bang... post your's up, and thanks!

-Gareth
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator 

midmo1
Little Six

Posted - December 30 2007 :  7:12:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add midmo1 to Buddylist
My 2 Rock Island units....
Nice Hudson "G"....

Ted
Mid-MO
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 129  ~  Member Since: September 26 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 30 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  7:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey:

Love the BL2 in that paint. I have one. It somehow makes the BL2 look less awkward!

-G
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CairnTerrier
Switcher

Posted - December 30 2007 :  9:32:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CairnTerrier to Buddylist
Some really nice locomotives here. Very nice!

Please excuse my blurry picture...this is my finished quick weekend project which I undertook a few weeks ago. It is a basic Life Like trainset F40-PH...got it at Toys R Us noless!!!

I painted it in my fictional Winsted Southern Railway livery....with some "Operation Lifesaver" markings. I also altered the plow-pilot, filled it in and body mounted E-Z Mate couplers. Runs quite well...eventually I'll be giving the other two LL F40-PH's the same treatment.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 67  ~  Member Since: October 30 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 03 2013 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 30 2007 :  9:49:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
This is a Bachmann 0-6-0 I rebuilt.
I replaced the spur gear drive with a can motor and worm drive.
Rivarossi drivers that had the flanges cut down to NMRA standards were installed on solid axles and fit to the frame.

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:11:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ray:

How did you cut down the flanges, Lathe?

-G
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 4200  ~  Member Since: January 08 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 09 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:36:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Ray:

-G

Originally posted by romcat - December 31 2007 : 02:11:21 AM

OOOOoooooooooo...I remember when folks would set their lokeys in a cradle upside down, put power leads to it, then hold a file to the drivers as they spun. Oh yeah, what a mess they'd end up with.

My Life-Like F40-PH is painted in MBTA colors...gotta love purple on a loco. It runs like a watch, I couldn't imagine needing to tune it...very unusual for a LL loco.

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:39:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey:

Remember a file is a poor man's lathe![:D]

-G

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:40:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Ray:

-G

Originally posted by romcat - December 30 2007 :  9:11:21 PM

Yes, I chuck the wheel in the lathe around the tread. This keeps the flanges true with the tread. doesn't stress and break the wheel (been there[V]), the chuck acts as a heat sink so overheating and melting plastic driver centers isn't a problem, and, It can be done without removing the wheel from the axle.
Works pretty good

Ray
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1285  ~  Member Since: December 14 2005  ~  Last Visit: May 16 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:44:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Here's a couple since I'm way past overdue for LotW.

First, I finally managed to get something I've been chasing for quite a while...

The third and seemingly rarest of the Lionel U-18: CP Rail. This one was a basket case but i got it for a good price. I had to strip and repaint the sideframe piece after carving all the nasty dried glue off (whoever first owned it glued the handrails in and did a terrible job. The conductors' side of the front pilot was nearly a lost cause). The drive was also in bad shape but I fixed it, literally with baling wire [:D] and parts from a donor U18 I'd been keeping for just that purpose.

And finally, one from the STC archives:

This is the first locomotive I ever custom painted. The November 1993 Model Railroader has its genesis, in the letter I had printed in the Student Fare column. It did indeed start as the Athearn discussed. Funny thing... the Microscale decal set listed the wrong road# for this unit, but I had of course seen it with my own eyes...

I've enhanced and reworked this one as my skills improved over the years, finally settling on a worn-out and beat-up appearance. When I saw the engine the first time, it did not have the yellow nose but by the time it got one, it was in rough shape. CSX doesn't seem to take good care of its older locomotives, but I guess they had more than enough of them.

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on December 30 2007 10:47:24 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Ray:

how many jaws on the chuck in your lathe or do you have more than 1?

-G

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:48:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:

OOOOoooooooooo...I remember when folks would set their lokeys in a cradle upside down, put power leads to it, then hold a file to the drivers as they spun. Oh yeah, what a mess they'd end up with.
Originally posted by shaygetz - December 30 2007 : 9:36:54 PM

I sent a few locos to the scrap box trying that.

quote:

It runs like a watch, I couldn't imagine needing to tune it...very unusual for a LL loco.
Originally posted by shaygetz - December 30 2007 :  9:36:54 PM

What type drive do they have?

Ray

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:48:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
GIC:

do you happen to know if the "mech" inside the 18 is the same as that gen of the Lionel HO Alco FA?

-G

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 30 2007 :  10:53:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
There were various changes to the Lionel HO drives of the 1970's, but they were all shared among their GP-9, U-18, and Alco FA. Eventually some of those got the crappy drive of the GP30 after it was introduced.

If your Alco does not happen to be one of the "identical" ones from say 1975... it is probably at least very similar.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  11:50:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
GIC:

When you get a chance can you photo the mech's in your U18? They're pretty funny little engines. Like a shortline version of a U23B?

-G

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 30 2007 :  11:56:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
Here is the cannibalized Parts unit, repaired/rebuilt for sale on ebay:

That is the standard drive on the U18. All U-18s were like this. The same basic drive was used in the GP-9 and FA, but as they were ouf for a while prior, other versions had the top weight mounted to the shell and/or only one powered truck, among other subtleties.

I still love the fact that, in the Lionel U-18, you have a model of a GE locomotive, powered by a GE motor...

Edited by - GoingInCirclez on December 30 2007 11:57:52 PM

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 30 2007 :  11:58:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Dam, that was quick!!!

Looks familiar, have to dig mine out. Do you suppose the U18 shell would fit on the FA chassis? You have an FA right? I thought I remember you saying that.

-G

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - December 31 2007 :  12:05:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
quote:
Dam, that was quick!!!
Originally posted by romcat - December 30 2007 : 10:58:07 PM

[:D] Already had the picture, it's been on ebay for a few days. And justthe day after it got a bid, I found the Gold Chessie GP9 at the haunt, but missing a truck. Bah!

I do have the Freedom Train FA but it is packed away at the moment.

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 31 2007 :  12:07:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
If you need that chassis, I have the one with the truck boxses that need those tab's we talked about.

-G

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - December 31 2007 :  07:25:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
My entrance to this gallery... It's a beast, weighs like one, pulls like one, but it purrs like a kitten. My "Lil-Six" baby! Mantua!

Thanks, Brian.
I open the photo. I activate photo editing, it starts up "Paintbrush."
I press "File... save as... x-name.jpg..." Enter... viola! Done!

Someone told me this was a brass locomotive.
I figured that it had brass parts, but it sorta looks like a MDC/RDHS loco.

This next beauty, I call it my Egyptian Export from North America...
It's a Austria/ROCO/Lily-Putt. (as in "put")

thanks for everyone's help.

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?

Edited by - zebrails on January 04 2008 12:23:34 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - December 31 2007 :  11:43:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:

What type drive do they have?

Originally posted by Ray Marinaccio - December 31 2007 : 02:48:34 AM

Here's the drive Ray, your basic four wheel pickup.

Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 31 2007 :  11:47:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Hey Zebrails:

Do a search on the forum for pictures... the explanation has been posted at least a few times.... You'll find it.

-Gareth

Ray Marinaccio
Big Boy

RayAvatar

Posted - December 31 2007 :  12:39:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ray Marinaccio to Buddylist
quote:

Here's the drive Ray, your basic four wheel pickup.

Originally posted by shaygetz - December 31 2007 :  10:43:47 AM

Thanks, I had an F7 and a couple GP38s with similar drives.
I grafted a second geared truck and a dual shaft motor on the F7 (one of my first 8 wheel drive locos). It ran pretty good.

Ray

Brianstyco
Big Boy

Mint Silver Streak

Posted - December 31 2007 :  10:53:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brianstyco to Buddylist
Mint Golden Eagle-No Box-Original vampire trucks with PT motor.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2507  ~  Member Since: January 31 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

romcat
Big Boy

LondonPortStanley

Posted - December 31 2007 :  11:06:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add romcat to Buddylist
Very Pretty "BT"!!!

-G

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - January 01 2008 :  12:36:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi All,

This is my Life-Like F40PH. It runs great. I got it free in a box of trains. Metra named this engine Kane County, Witch is the county I lived in at the time. So thats kind of cool.

I may have posted this one before so forgive me if I did.

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - January 01 2008 :  07:30:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice photos of the 630, Brian. They're impressive runnning the on the model rails. I've never seen video of the real ones in operation.
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - January 01 2008 :  2:28:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
quote:
Hi All,

This is my Life-Like F40PH. It runs great. I got it free in a box of trains. Metra named this engine Kane County, Witch is the county I lived in at the time. So thats kind of cool.

Thanks
Mike

Originally posted by mytyco - January 01 2008 : 04:36:52 AM

What is it with freebie LL F40PHs? That's how I got mine...and it's always nice to get a model of something close to home, too.

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - January 01 2008 :  6:45:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi Shaygetz,

Yes it is really nice to get something from your area. Now I just need to get something from my home state of Florida. The good ole FEC LOL! I do have the Tyco 76 FEC caboose. But I was thinking along the line of engines.

Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - February 18 2008 :  9:01:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
***Posted on Behalf of ABE***

Hello & Happy New Year to all !
This is a set of old Hobbytown cast Alco FA units which I have painted in PRR brunswick green some yrs back, the front A-Unit has the hobbytown drive with a large flywheel which allows it to coast maybe 2-3 feet when power is shut down, the B-Unit & the other A-unit are both unpowered, the caboose is actually made from three tyco caboose's which were cut at ends & one in the middle & pieced together to make this PRR type caboose, the antenna's were from a kit that I cant remember anymore who from, I use DCC with sound but I still like to hear the old Hobbytown sound as the gears mesh when power applied, these engines are from either the 60's or early 70's & were in kit form , I put tem together some time in late 80's or early 90's & painted them, the new DC is very nice but I still like the old cast Varneys, the Mantua Mikado's & these Hobbytowns,
any one else have any older engines out there ?
Abe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1324  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: LOTW - Feb 10 - Feb 16, 2008 Topic Next Topic: LOTW - Feb 03 - Feb 09, 2008  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000