Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Life-Like/Varney GG1...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Burlington CB&Q cement covered hopper Topic Next Topic: Life-Like F Chassis, picture if you have it?  

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 20 2007 :  12:11:26 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Didn't think the Varney GG1 made it to the Life-Like line, however there are ads that suggest it did...

The ad is form RMC 1970.

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator 

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - November 21 2007 :  10:06:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Tony. From what I remember the GG-1 was made for Varney by Penn line. Penn line was purchased by Bowser. Varney engines were purchased by Bowser. Lifelike had purchased the rolling stock and some of the inventory of Varney. They sold the Varney GG-1 until they no longer had anymore. (since Bowser had the molds).
The Pennline GG-1s had number 4059. The Varney GG-1s had number 5796. GHC copied the GG-1 and had them made in Japan. They made a few minor changes But, for the most part it was a knock off Pennline's engine. GHC painted their engine Tuscan with 5 stripes with The number 4877.
In 1939 Varney did make an aluminum sand casting of a R1 using the makado drive. PRR had only made the prototype engine. PRR had decided to go ahead with the GG-1. So Varney stopped making the R1 with fewer than 200 ever made. I met Lew English of Bowser years ago and he showed me some shells they test made in the 70's. He said they still had the mold but, that they would not make anymore. Here is a picture of the one I have, it is from the 1939-41 model, using prewar Fleischmann Pantographs.

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )

Edited by - VintageHO on November 21 2007 10:18:29 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - November 23 2007 :  4:29:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
Thanks for the info!

Did you ever see the GG1 in Life-Like packaging?

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

VintageHO
Mikado

Tyco Time

Posted - November 23 2007 :  7:36:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add VintageHO to Buddylist
Hi Tony. A friend of mind had one in a Lifelike box. He had the Green version. Also, not too long ago there was one on eBay. I was bidding on it but, was outbid. One of the many things I collect are GG-1s. I have many different engines. I have just about all the different road names and numbers in AHM / Rivarossi, IHC, Varney, & Penn line. Also have the AHM limited edition series. I have the GHC engine and some brass like a Schrader engine that weights over 2 1/2 Pounds. There is not many of these engines around. Mine is #133. It has dual motors and required soldering the pieces together. I'm starting to get interested in the Broadway limited engines and the Marklin engines. They are a little pricey. [:D]

Numquam Immoderatio Satis Est
(Too Much Is Never Enough )
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 632  ~  Member Since: January 23 2006  ~  Last Visit: June 21 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 05 2008 :  06:41:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
quote:
Hi Tony. From what I remember the GG-1 was made for Varney by Penn line. Penn line was purchased by Bowser. Varney engines were purchased by Bowser. Lifelike had purchased the rolling stock and some of the inventory of Varney. They sold the Varney GG-1 until they no longer had anymore. (since Bowser had the molds).
The Pennline GG-1s had number 4059. The Varney GG-1s had number 5796. GHC copied the GG-1 and had them made in Japan. They made a few minor changes But, for the most part it was a knock off Pennline's engine. GHC painted their engine Tuscan with 5 stripes with The number 4877.
Originally posted by VintageHO - November 22 2007 :  02:06:22 AM

Seems to me Varney bought most of Penn Line when they quit in 1964, that's where the shorty passenger cars Life Like makes to this day all come from, as did the F7A and B tooling (which seem to be copied from Athearn or Tyco shells themselves). I think the die cast steam engines went to Bowser then, and later on when Varney sold out to Life-Like LL was not interested in producing the cast engines and so Bowser got those tools. Looks like the ad is just LL selling out leftover stock -
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 14 2008 :  2:19:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
[quote]Hi Tony. From what I remember the GG-1 was made for Varney by Penn line. Penn line was purchased by Bowser. Varney engines were purchased by Bowser. Lifelike had purchased the rolling stock and some of the inventory of Varney. They sold the Varney GG-1 until they no longer had anymore. (since Bowser had the molds).

frank o toptrain here :
An addition to this is their were other Penn Line #s not just the ones listed in the previous message. GHC's version had the front and rear doors cast into the main body casting. The later Penn Lines GG1s had plastic drive axel incloseures and side frames made as one piece. These Varney used. The only other thing I seen was no Varney GG1 had nose weights. Also # 5796 came in Tuscan and Brunswick Green as did other numbers. Also their is a New Haven GG1 in the multi colored Mc' Ginnis Paint. It was released with a set of matching white passenger cars by Penn Line and Varney. Varney sold their GG1s it seams with left over Penn Line parts. I don't thing you can find a GG1 that has Varney cast anywhere on it. They all say Penn Line that I have seen.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 14 2008 :  2:33:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
[quote]Hi Tony. From what I remember the GG-1 was made for Varney by Penn line. Penn line was purchased by Bowser. Varney engines were purchased by Bowser. Lifelike had purchased the rolling stock and some of the inventory of Varney. They sold the Varney GG-1 until they no longer had anymore. (since Bowser had the molds).

frank o toptrain here :
An addition to this is their were other Penn Line #s not just the ones listed in the previous message. GHC's version had the front and rear doors cast into the main body casting. The later Penn Lines GG1s had plastic drive axel incloseures and side frames made as one piece. These Varney used. The only other thing I seen was no Varney GG1 had nose weights. Also # 5796 came in Tuscan and Brunswick Green as did other numbers. Also their is a New Haven GG1 in the multi colored Mc' Ginnis Paint. It was released with a set of matching white passenger cars by Penn Line and Varney. Varney sold their GG1s it seams with left over Penn Line parts. I don't thing you can find a GG1 that has Varney cast anywhere on it. They all say Penn Line that I have seen.

Originally posted by toptrain-September 14 2008: 2:19:39 PM

toptrain

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 14 2008 :  2:35:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
frank o toptrain here :

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 19 2009 3:58:44 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 14 2008 :  2:38:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
[quote] [quote] [quote] [quote]Hi Tony. From what I remember the GG-1 was made for Varney by Penn line. Penn line was purchased by Bowser. Varney engines were purchased by Bowser. Lifelike had purchased the rolling stock and some of the inventory of Varney. They sold the Varney GG-1 until they no longer had anymore. (since Bowser had the molds).

frank o toptrain here :

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - September 14 2008 :  2:39:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

frank o toptrain here :

Originally posted by toptrain-September 14 2008: 2:19:39 PM

[/quote]

Originally posted by toptrain-September 14 2008: 2:33:19 PM

[/quote]

Originally posted by toptrain-September 14 2008: 2:35:10 PM

[/quote]

toptrain

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - October 04 2008 :  12:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Nice GG1 collection there, really nice!!
Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

choochin3
Mikado

USA

Posted - October 11 2008 :  10:50:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add choochin3 to Buddylist
I know the New Haven never had GG1s but that G looks shweet in the McGinnis scheme.

Carl T.

President of the Cape James Terminal RR.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 691  ~  Member Since: April 16 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 01 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 23 2009 :  1:12:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool I've seen that GG1 in every paint scheme including PennCentral Amtrak & even Conrail!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 24 2009 :  2:19:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
PennCentral Amtrak & even Conrail were not even a dream when these were made.
***************** frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 24 2009 :  2:28:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I knows but the railroads that took over the Penn painted them that way
here is a link to the GG1 paint schemes they were in!
http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/paint.html

Edited by - microbusss on March 24 2009 2:31:47 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

waw47
Hudson

Posted - November 13 2014 :  10:33:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add waw47 to Buddylist
Varney Pre-war R1 shell sells for $410.00 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ho-All-Metal-Cast-Electric-Pennsylvania-Engine-Shell-Only-Unique-LQQK-Very-Old-/261651003121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=iFVA2gnpHLDsuzMSX%252Fmsklpo85c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 466  ~  Member Since: August 09 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 13 2014 :  6:05:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
In 1939 Varney did make an aluminum sand casting of a R1 using the makado drive. PRR had only made the prototype engine. PRR had decided to go ahead with the GG-1. So Varney stopped making the R1 with fewer than 200 ever made. I met Lew English of Bowser years ago and he showed me some shells they test made in the 70's. He said they still had the mold but, that they would not make anymore. Here is a picture of the one I have, it is from the 1939-41 model, using prewar Fleischmann Pantographs.

Originally posted by VintageHO - November 21 2007 :  10:06:22 PM

This R1 was produced for only a short time as said. Maybe only a few years. Before production a sample was cast in brass. It was not approved only because it was brass. this mistake became aviable 10 or so years. I have seen and held this odd piece of Varney or was it Penn Line history. Pretty neat to hold a official one of a kind. It had paper work with it from the company that made the casting.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on November 13 2014 6:08:34 PM

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 13 2014 :  9:18:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Interesting comparing this one to the one waw47 posted on ebay that is painted.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Burlington CB&Q cement covered hopper Topic Next Topic: Life-Like F Chassis, picture if you have it?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000