Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Burlington CB&Q cement covered hopper
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Life-Like knuckle couplers! Topic Next Topic: Life-Like/Varney GG1...  

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 17 2014 :  3:38:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Here's a Life-Like covered hopper I got from babuff recently. I added the trucks/metal wheels/kadees, plus a bit more weight underneath (couldn't get the top cover off). I like the graphics and think it can run with anything now.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator 

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - November 17 2014 :  2:01:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
The roller bearing trucks and knuckles bring that "toy" hopper to another level!

I have a few of those Life-Like hoppers I intend to upgrade. Can you show how you attached the knuckles?

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on November 17 2014 2:04:32 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - November 17 2014 :  4:10:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
The roller bearing trucks and knuckles bring that "toy" hopper to another level!

I have a few of those Life-Like hoppers I intend to upgrade. Can you show how you attached the knuckles?

Originally posted by gmoney - November 17 2014 :  2:01:51 PM

Thanks Glenn!
Unfortunately that particular hopper is now residing in a shipping container in Texas, or I'd take a few pics of the area in question. It's not a hard conversion though, and I've seen this type of hopper from several manufacturers (most of whom are probably using the same tooling).
If I remember correctly there is an open gap where you want to install the coupler box. I measured the gap and then cut out a rectangle of sheet styrene to fill it. Don't know the exact thickness as it came from my scrap plastic drawer, but it's similar to the surrounding plastic and thick enough to drill and tap.
But anyway, let it dry overnight, then dril and tap it for a 2-56 screw. Paint to match the car and it looks like it came that way.
The trucks are old Athearns that I got in a box lot at a train show. I installed 2-56 nuts in the hopper with a soldering iron.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - November 17 2014 :  4:34:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Oh yeah, I temporarily forgot about that little relocation you're making! Your description, however, makes perfect sense so no pics necessary. Thanks!
Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 17 2014 :  6:27:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Just goes to show that even the really cheap and junky freight cars can be made to current standards.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - November 17 2014 :  6:39:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Got 2 waiting for this conversion. Probably won't ever get around to it, but nice to see someone else has!
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Life-Like knuckle couplers! Topic Next Topic: Life-Like/Varney GG1...  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000