Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 Best way to srip paint from metal
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Ethical Question - Modifying a Rare Model Topic Next Topic: Varney 4-6-4 Hudson Build  

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - November 07 2022 :  09:12:36 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
I have 3 ancient Varney metal F3s that need to be stripped of paint. Would it be wise to use lacquer thinner for these models or something else?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - November 07 2022 :  3:56:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
Never tried it but other forums have suggested soaking in brake fluid. Way less toxic fumes. Good luck!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 12 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - November 07 2022 :  7:45:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
Ah, thanks for the tip, I have heard about using brake fluid, just gotta make sure its completely clean before painting it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - November 07 2022 :  11:17:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I use lacquer thinner all the time for stripping paint off metal. If that doesn't work for some reason, I use mineral spirits. I always make sure to use these either outside or in an open garage because of the fumes, but when they work, they work fast!
Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

CNW_Productions
Switcher

CNW 205

Posted - November 08 2022 :  5:27:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add CNW_Productions to Buddylist
Sounds a lot easier than using brake fluid, thank you for the valuable tip!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: October 31 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bring Back British Rail
Switcher

Posted - April 11 2023 :  1:14:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bring Back British Rail to Buddylist
I use acetone to strip paint from metal model parts. It usually works well and fast.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: November 19 2021  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Ethical Question - Modifying a Rare Model Topic Next Topic: Varney 4-6-4 Hudson Build  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000