Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 The Little Big Eight Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Vintage Atlas double-slip malfunctiion junction Topic Next Topic: Mormon''s Gulch
Page: of 2

Old Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - March 31 2022 :  11:30:06 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Old Bandit to Buddylist
Hello there !
I am very happy to be a new member of this great community. Thank you.
I started the building of The Little Big Eight layout in H0 scale. Why a figure 8 layout? For absolutely no serious reason except for the fun. All your comments, advices and criticism will be greatly appreciated.

I don't take myself seriously, so I apologize if you do.
Edited by - Old Bandit on March 31 2022 11:58:54 AM
 Country: Ukraine  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: March 29 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2022 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 31 2022 :  7:44:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
OB, I love it. I have a best friend, the guy has been a prototype 1:1 modellor on a Class 1. He makes
a collection, of the high end stuff, Microscale, that sort of thing, of every type of rail car he sees on his
job, and quite a number of past and present diesel locomotives, particularly of the old ATSF. He has this
wall of top shelf models, are carefully built and meticulously stored.

And what does he do? He has a oval of EZ track on the floor of a spare bedroom that he runs them on!
He once built a module of a siding based on one in Clovis, New Mexico, with all the proper semaphores
and such like, and it was exquisite. But he stubbornly refuses to do anything other than his track-on-the-
floor gambit.

Too me, like WKS, my friend is OLD Old School. Early track planning books shamelessly featured track
plans circumnavigating furniture legs. I just love it.

Really glad to have you aboard, and have you take us in new inspirations!

Myself, I could never resist a diamond!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAOMiKseN5Q

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 31 2022 :  9:28:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That looks like a cool track plan. What are your thoughts on scenery/structures? Like are you planning on adding industries or a town in each of the circles of the figure-8?
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - March 31 2022 :  11:16:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Much more interesting than a simple oval! I have one suggestion though; IF you’re going to operate equipment with body mounted couplers, I suggest eliminating the S-curves.

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Edited by - gmoney on March 31 2022 11:18:05 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  09:17:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
That looks like a cool track plan.
Originally posted by RP model railroads - March 31 2022 :  9:28:53 PM
Thanks !
 Country: Ukraine  ~  Posts: 54  ~  Member Since: April 01 2022  ~  Last Visit: April 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  09:21:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
That looks like a cool track plan.
Thanks !
quote:
What are your thoughts on scenery/structures? Like are you planning on adding industries or a town in each of the circles of the figure-8?
No idea yet but I'm working on it.
 Country: Ukraine  ~  Posts: 54  ~  Member Since: April 01 2022  ~  Last Visit: April 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  09:22:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks for your long reply Chops. Very nice video. The dino lives in a very strange world.

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 01 2022 09:25:31 AM

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  09:33:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Unfortunately I have to downsize my layout a bit (direct order from SWMBO). The dimensions will therefore be 2'8" x 84'4" and the the curves radius only 15".

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  09:38:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
IF you’re going to operate equipment with body mounted couplers, I suggest eliminating the S-curves.
Originally posted by gmoney - March 31 2022 :  11:16:46 PM

Very good idea but unfortunately I don't have enough room for that.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 01 2022 :  1:02:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
As you can see, I'm working very hard on my layout !

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 01 2022 :  4:44:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
Unfortunately I have to downsize my layout a bit (direct order from SWMBO). The dimensions will therefore be 2'8" x 84'4" and the the curves radius only 15".

Originally posted by Οld Bandit - April 01 2022 :  09:33:16 AM

So you're going to build those s curves with 15r? smdh......
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 01 2022 :  11:12:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
"S" curves are not bad if there's a car length of straight track where the curve reverses. It looks like the diamond serves that purpose.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  03:40:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
So you're going to build those s curves with 15r? smdh......
Originally posted by jward - April 01 2022 :  4:44:24 PM
Yep !

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 02 2022 :  08:50:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Not planning on too many 86"s right? My experimental Mormon's Gulch
layout has similar dimensions and uses exclusively 15 inch radii. I
deliberately put in S curves because visually that is more dynamic than
a typical tail chaser. Using 1880's theme with 40' coaches and 35'
freight cars, train lengths short, but sweet. It looks just fine as the
line bends and twists through canyon walls. Put a second tier on it
to open it up, in a small space. Have yet to give it a full testing, but
so far, so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqQyOsxfVkE
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  10:16:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Nice video !

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 02 2022 :  11:03:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
"S" curves are not bad if there's a car length of straight track where the curve reverses. It looks like the diamond serves that purpose.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - April 01 2022 :  11:12:05 PM

Yes the crossing serves this function rather well. However the plan also has s curves on either side of the crossing. The S curve problem gets exponentially worse the smaller the radius. That is, build a layout with S curves at 36" radius you probably won't have problems. Build the same layout with 18" radius and you'll have lots of derailments with body mounted couplers. I wouldn't even want to try it with anything sharper than that because alot of your equipment is going to be operating at its limits without the s curves, adding them is asking for trouble. You might get away with it with talgo couplers. But even a 40 footer with body mounts will probably derail on that curve.

It is a situation that could be rectified pretty easily by using a 60 degree crossing instead of a 30, and lessening the angle of those s curves. Doing so should allow the insertion of a 3" or 4.5" straight between the curves. It's far from ideal but it should be workable.

The reason I point things like this out is that a layout where the trains don't stay on the rails is no fun for anyone. It is better to redesign the plan to eliminate the questionable areas before the track is laid, than it is to build the layout and get frustrated because it doesn't work the way you planned. Trust me, I know. I've built some spectacular failures over the years.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  11:35:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks for your very interesting input jward.
quote:
[quote]I've built some spectacular failures over the years.
Originally posted by jward - April 02 2022 :  11:03:51 AM
Me too ! Welcome to the club.
I'll work on a better plan but I have a very limited space for my layout...

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  11:45:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
I tried to build two versions of my layout (without nail, glue or screw):

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 02 2022 :  12:18:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looks pretty good to me- I think it might work. The S is definitely
interrupted on all sides.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  1:05:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
I drew two new plans: Which one is better (or less worse)?

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 02 2022 :  1:37:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
I built my track plan #1. Works fine for me ! I'm very pleased with the result so far.

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 02 2022 1:39:59 PM

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 02 2022 :  6:44:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
I drew two new plans: Which one is better (or less worse)?

Originally posted by Οld Bandit - April 02 2022 :  1:05:31 PM

From an operational standpoint I don't see much difference. In both cases you have at least 6" of straight track between the opposing curves, so any S curve derailment issues should be eliminated. Best of all, you've retained the meandering nature of the original plan without sacrificing reliability.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2022 :  02:21:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like 'em both. Then, I like pretty much anything with tracks.
Looks to be room for a spur here and there, that will
comfortably. Have you decided on a landscape or a theme?
Will your layout have a name?

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 03 2022 :  07:57:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
Best of all, you've retained the meandering nature of the original plan without sacrificing reliability.
Originally posted by jward - April 02 2022 :  6:44:04 PM

Thanks !

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 03 2022 :  08:03:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
I like 'em both.
Originally posted by Chops124 - April 03 2022 :  02:21:01 AM

Thanks

quote:
Looks to be room for a spur here and there, that will
comfortably.
Very good idea. I'm on it !

quote:
Have you decided on a landscape or a theme?
Not yet.

quote:

Will your layout have a name?
The Little Big Eight

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 03 2022 08:06:30 AM

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 03 2022 :  1:28:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
I tried to run a test train and I failed miserably because I discovered that the diamond creates a big short. WTF ! In fact, I built a layout like this one below:

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2022 :  5:14:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What you've got there are two facing reverse loops. Both loops would
require isolation to both rails and a mechanism, either manual or
automatic, to reverse the polarity as the train enters the loop. I've
never seen two facing reverse loops before, and am not sure if
that is even viable.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 03 2022 :  8:38:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
quote:
What you've got there are two facing reverse loops. Both loops would
require isolation to both rails and a mechanism, either manual or
automatic, to reverse the polarity as the train enters the loop. I've
never seen two facing reverse loops before, and am not sure if
that is even viable.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 03 2022 :  5:14:53 PM

Something is wrong there. An EZ track crossing shouldn't short out, because both tracks are supposed to be completely electrically isolated from each other. It is, after all, EZ track, and power routing crossings are complicated to wire. I'd check it with the continuity setting on an ohmmeter. It should be the electrical equivalent of two pieces of straight track. If it isn't I'd return it to Bachmann for a replacement.

Does the entire layout short out when you try to run trains? Or do they run until the locomotive gets to the crossing then short out?

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 03 2022 :  9:38:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
With the two turnouts, you have two reversing loops, so that when you're leaving the loop, you're going back into the turnout the opposite way from how you came out of it. That means that the curves have to be totally isolated from the switches. If you wire in another reversing switch on the central track including the two switches, the polarity can be changed to match that of the train leaving the loop. The reversing switch would be a double pole, double throw switch wired like this:

The way the switch is thrown, here, the center track between the loops would work with both turnouts set for the curve. The other way, works with both turnouts straight. This is pretty conventional wiring for a loop-to-loop layout.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 03 2022 :  11:57:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Many thanks for all your replies gentlemen ! Much appreciated. I also discovered that the short destroyed my DC controller...
I don't use Bachmann EZ track but a European H0 track: Trix C track. And the diamond is a Marklin 3-rails AC modified for 2 rails DC. This is the problem I must solved.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 04 2022 :  06:01:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Another dead end. This project has been cancelled. So I need a new and more simple idea. Something like that I think:

https://youtu.be/Hudb9VdTxDg

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 04 2022 10:33:02 AM

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 04 2022 :  10:53:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
Does the entire layout short out when you try to run trains? Or do they run until the locomotive gets to the crossing then short out?
Originally posted by jward - April 03 2022 :  8:38:22 PM
I forgot to answer your question. My bad. The entire layout shorts out. I checked it with an ohmmeter.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 05 2022 :  12:03:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Uhhhh, if you are using a Marklin AC crossing mixed with DC track, yes,
that will cause mischief. What you have, as discussed above, with the
loop to loop venture are two opposed electrical circuits that will fry
each other as soon as power is applied because the electricity is
being pushed up the down the down staircase, so to speak. Personally,
for simplicity and interest, I like the squashed figure 8, toss in a spur or
two, and if the crossing isn't some outlier, should work fine.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 05 2022 :  08:50:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks for your reply Chops ! I found this one and only solution. The turnouts are DC models. But it'll be an electrical nightmare for me...

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 05 2022 08:50:46 AM

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 05 2022 :  10:45:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
I can also get a rid of the crossover. Absolutely no short here !

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 05 2022 :  12:36:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for your reply Chops ! I found this one and only solution. The turnouts are DC models. But it'll be an electrical nightmare for me...

Originally posted by Οld Bandit - April 05 2022 :  08:50:19 AM

With this one wired for DC, you'll constantly be throwing reversing switches! Do you have any objections to an over-&-under figure 8? You could still incorporate the S-curves.

Glenn

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 05 2022 :  12:57:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
Do you have any objections to an over-&-under figure 8? You could still incorporate the S-curves.
Originally posted by gmoney
Absolutely not ! Very good advice.

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 05 2022 1:00:19 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 05 2022 :  8:33:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Diamonds are forever.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 06 2022 :  06:47:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
There re two ways you can gp here. Using an Atlas 30 degree crossing will definitely eliminate the shorts. I suspect most crossings made for DC track will do the same. Or, as CHops suggested, add some elevation and make an over and under type layout. Personally, I favour the latter.

Looking at your plan, you have enough room to get the grade down to a manageable 3%. You could use the Woodland Scenics risers for the grade. Or, try using an Atlas pier set, which will give you the necessary 1/4" rise per section. Just rearrange your plan so that you have 12 full straight or curved sections together and you'll be fine.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 06 2022 :  08:46:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Thanks for all your very helpful answers. BUT I found this solution. I made a few tests and it seems that my idea could work.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 06 2022 :  08:49:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
Diamonds are forever.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 05 2022 :  8:33:50 PM

Can't say better !

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 07 2022 :  01:01:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 07 2022 :  09:02:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
First run ! Please forgive the shaky phone camera work.

https://youtu.be/nWKZsmT-NIo

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - April 07 2022 :  12:08:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Nice!  How did you resolve the crossing issue?

Glenn

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 07 2022 :  11:17:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I LIKE it!! Fun watching the big old diesel do the two step through all
the reversing curves. And you are doing this with Trix track, I believe???
Marvelous use of an older, and foreign, technology. I've never seen
anyone use Trix track to this advantage, ever.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 08 2022 :  06:26:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
Nice! 
Originally posted by gmoney - April 07 2022 :  12:08:01 PM

Thanks !

Edited by - Οld Bandit on April 08 2022 06:26:38 AM

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 08 2022 :  06:27:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
I LIKE it!! Fun watching the big old diesel do the two step through all
the reversing curves. And you are doing this with Trix track, I believe???
Marvelous use of an older, and foreign, technology. I've never seen
anyone use Trix track to this advantage, ever.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 07 2022 :  11:17:54 PM

Thanks !

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 08 2022 :  06:37:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
quote:
How did you resolve the crossing issue?
Originally posted by gmoney - April 07 2022 :  12:08:01 PM

The crossover diamond is completely insulated from the rest of the layout. The two loops are both DC powered. I was thinking about a DPDT switch (see the picture below) but I found a better idea. The diesel itself will be the switch !
The diesel's four axles pick up the track power. When the first axle rolls on the diamond track, then the crossover track is powered. And the loco can run. Simple as that ! Hope I'm clear...

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 09 2022 :  03:02:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
Due to a lack of space, I must downsize a bit my layout. New dimensions are: 84' x 32'. The track plan is slightly different from my first idea.

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - April 09 2022 :  09:58:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
That;s a good idea as long as you only run diesels with all wheel pickup. Steamers and short wheelbase diesels that aren't long enough to bridge the gap will stall out. SO will locomotives where one truck picks up off one rail and the other truck picks up off the other rail.

Οld Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - April 09 2022 :  12:51:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Οld Bandit to Buddylist
You are absolutely right ! I have two solutions: a DPDT switch or a shorter crossover (as shown in the picture above).
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Vintage Atlas double-slip malfunctiion junction Topic Next Topic: Mormon''s Gulch  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000