Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 CB&Q Tyco 2-8-2 Kit Build
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Custom Bachmann Ho scale Pretend Narrow Gauge set Topic Next Topic: Upgrading Tyco C430  

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - April 04 2021 :  11:15:59 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Hello everyone I have finally finished my 2-8-2 kit I've been working on for about a month now.

Some instructions

A nicely filed frame with wheels.

Black painted chassis with gold(?????) wheels.

Built the valve gear using Bowser's Rivetool. Cut the time from the last build in half or more.

Assembled and painted mechanism/

Boiler and painted tender. Wait, why is that tender painted gold along with the steam chest. WHAT is going on here??? Also you can see my heavily modified pilot.

Vestibule cab.

Fitting this was a pain. I hated every second of working on this stupid cab. Yeah it looks great but boy as it not fun to build.

Decaled GOLD(???) Burlington tender. WHAT ARE THE FELLAS AT THE PAINT SHOP THINKING???

Painted boiler with holes for marker lights. Gyralight has been applied along with the bell and new headlight.

Added a cab light and tender light. They only turn on when the locomotive is reversed. You can also see some of the extra details I added.

Beauty shot.

Daytime.

Front

Port side.

The inspiration for this build. I wanted one of these but I didn't want to pay the crazy prices for a brass version. Yes I realize the 2-8-2 is not a 4-8-4 so I had to do a lot of "selective compressing" to get things to look right. I think it turned out very well. I gave it my birthday as the roadnumber. I learned a lot about adding details to a steam engine and I was able to perfect my valve gear building process!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 04 2021 :  11:39:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
why was loco painted gold?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 04 2021 :  1:04:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice. Takes many hours of patience to build that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - April 04 2021 :  1:36:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
why was loco painted gold?

Originally posted by microbusss - April 04 2021 :  11:39:17 AM

Here's some information on the history of CBQ 5632: "In 1964 5632 was painted with temporary (water-based) gold paint to help commemorate the 100th anniversary of CB&Q's suburban service. Chicago - Aurora runs were made on May 20, 1964 (a mid-week trip - on the actual day) and on May 23rd. The May 23rd trip consisted of a record number of passengers (about 3500) for a CB&Q fan trip (22 coaches were used). By June, 5632 was once again painted black. However, 5632 was again painted gold to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the opening of Kansas City Union Station with a trip to St. Joseph on October 31, 1964 and a trip to Bevier, Missouri on November 1. The trip on November 1, 1964 proved to be 5632's final (CB&Q excursion) trip for when she returned to Galesburg, she was stored unserviceable with no further extension on flue removal. In 1965, a class 3 overhaul was authorized by retiring president, Harry C. Murphy. The CB&Q shop forces at West Burlington had removed the flues and fire brick. However, the CB&Q was unable to recruit the 14 men that were required to put 5632 back into service and in 1966, new president Louis W. Menk ordered the repairs to be stopped. "

Thanks WKS. Most of the time each build is about 40-50 hours long depending.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 04 2021 :  1:48:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Alchemy. Did you have to solder on that myriad of detail? The side rods
alone are enough to make me faint.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 04 2021 :  8:14:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Incredible work, Kris! Looks great!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Custom Bachmann Ho scale Pretend Narrow Gauge set Topic Next Topic: Upgrading Tyco C430  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000